Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2014 American $1 Coin and Currency Set (TA9)

Comments

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>2014-D $1 Native American Enhanced, Position A USA MS68
    2014-D $1 Native American Enhanced, Position A USA MS68
    2014-D $1 Native American Enhanced, Position A USA MS68
    2014-D $1 Native American Enhanced, Position A USA MS68 >>

Hey Mas,

How many coins did you screen to find those 68's? You must have Expressed those suckers to have grades already!
  • Options
    badhop55badhop55 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    I placed 2 orders (02765XXX and 02765XXX) late into the open window on the 4th. Both have gone from Back order to On Hold. I finished one order and immediately placed the 2nd. 107 orders were placed between the 2.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to see that PCGS is attributing these with Position A & Position B seemingly right from the start. Sweet!

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mine switched from backordered to "on hold" #27639xx

Why don't they have the order times >>

If you've noticed, they made a specific change after the silver kennedy set. Now, as soon as you place the order, they ping you pretty much immediately via e-mail with an order number, the a follow-up later with specifics on your order.

The time stamp on the first message they send is very close to your order time. We'll see if that still holds true on the NEXT BIG THING[tm]....

(Though I agree it'd be nice to have it on the order page.)

<< <i>and cancel box anymore ...on ANY order???? >>

They're not the only ones who do this. You can place an order via the web, but you have to call to cancel it. But to be fair, I think every order I've placed (except my last order than never came off backorder) went in process immediately to be shipped, and even places like Amazon may not let you cancel at that point.

I just took a survey a couple of days ago from NAXION. (The first time I got an e-mail invitation from NAXION, so I e-mailed the mint for confirmation that I wasn't being fished, and my e-mail was never answered. This time, Treasury sent me the survey invite via ground mail.)

Anyway, it was all about the new web site. They wanted to know if I've visited the site before and after Nov 1. image Stuff like how easy it was to navigate the new site, if the order and processing system was any better, etc.

I also gave 'em hell for not retaining my entire order history...
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Looks like the newbie flippers are tripping over eachother on ebay. A race to the bottom and too early to be
    Playing with these.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like the newbie flippers are tripping over eachother on ebay. A race to the bottom and too early to be
    Playing with these. >>

I said that a couple pages back. Who knows in the long run they might be the smart ones!
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like the newbie flippers are tripping over eachother on ebay. A race to the bottom and too early to be
    Playing with these. >>

I said that a couple pages back. Who knows in the long run they might be the smart ones! >>

At the rate they are going, it wouldn't matter. Being smart sometimes involves coupons.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good to see that PCGS is attributing these with Position A & Position B seemingly right from the start. Sweet! >>

Will you explain the difference between position A & B ? Looking at pictures on the Bay and don't know what I'm looking for. Thanks

Edit:
    I found this:
    "Position B is when the coin is Heads Up and the edge lettering is readable. Position A is when the coin is tails up and the edge lettering is readable."
    Or is the other way around? A is readable when heads is up? image
    Edge view isn't shown on the auction pages image

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    It's the orientation of the edge lettering in relation to the obverse/reverse. image
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I submitted my "greatest hits" today from the (200) sets that I personally screened this weekend. I certainly saw MS69 coins in there, but not 100% certain on the "shot 70" coins. These may be a very big challenge to locate "perfect".

Congrats MAS on landing that first PCGS-MS69 Pos A. Did you have Pos B on a different invoice?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pcgs on edge lettering orientation

Proofs are all type b because the mint makes them that way with a lettered collar instead of the edge lettering machine.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Position C is when a newbie bends over.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks smokincoin & MsMorrisine

That PCGS page was great

• Options
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>pcgs on edge lettering orientation

Proofs are all type b because the mint makes them that way with a lettered collar instead of the edge lettering machine. >>

Since the enhanced Sac is available in positions A and B, is it likely that the planchet imperfections occur when they are fed through the edge lettering machine?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Confirmed First Strike holder

Cert Verification

According to the PCGS Certification Database, the requested certification number is defined as the following:
    COIN INFORMATION
    Cert Verification #: 31329156
    PCGS Coin #: 535788
    Date, mintmark: 2014-D
    Denomination: $1
    Variety: Native American Enhanced Coin & Currency Set-Position A 1st Strike
    Grade: MS69
    Holder Type: Standard
    Population: N/A
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats MAS on landing that first PCGS-MS69 Pos A. Did you have Pos B on a different invoice? >>

Thanks Wondercoin...
    Honestly paid no attention to position when submitting.. I'll post grades as
    soon as I hear on the next order...

Good luck with your "greatest hits" image
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    MCM sold out of their first shipment of their MS69 coins, so some demand out there.
  • Options

<< <i>MCM sold out of their first shipment of their MS69 coins, so some demand out there. >>

I don't think that's true. I think they pulled them for now. They had 80 left about an hour before they disappeared, I believe they just took them off for now! And, if that's true they believe higher prices in the future!
  • Options

<< <i><< MCM sold out of their first shipment of their MS69 coins, so some demand out there. >> I don't think that's true. I think they pulled them for now. They had 80 left about an hour before they disappeared, I believe they just took them off for now! And, if that's true they believe higher prices in the future! >>

Could be they did not grade all that was expected
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i><< MCM sold out of their first shipment of their MS69 coins, so some demand out there. >> I don't think that's true. I think they pulled them for now. They had 80 left about an hour before they disappeared, I believe they just took them off for now! And, if that's true they believe higher prices in the future! >>

Could be they did not grade all that was expected >>

That could also be true!

They have them
  • Options

"Good luck with your "greatest hits"

Thanks MAS. As you know, these coins are not easy to grade. There are hidden scuffs and abrasions that one only sees after carefully taking the time to examine the coins. This coin is yet another example of why PCGS should adopt the MS69+ grade. That would be a highly desirable grade for this issue I believe.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Yes MCM does have them. They say on their web site its for the second batch.

MS 69s
  • Options
    New numbers from the Mint:

11/23/2014...2014 AMERICAN $1 COIN & CURRENCY SET...9,720.....That's +9,720 units over the previous week
    11/30/2014...2014 AMERICAN $1 COIN & CURRENCY SET...14,073...That's +4,353 units over the previous week
    12/7/2014.....2014 AMERICAN $1 COIN & CURRENCY SET...42,109...That's +28,036 units over the previous week

Zoom! Must have been some big orders in there...
  • Options
    So still more to come. Great
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    So, it looks like they just may hit that 50,000 ceiling.

If only we could see 7/8 - I sure he is struttin around like a rooster! image
  • Options

<< <i>So still more to come. Great >>

Maybe. I don't know if the orders that were still on "Backorder" on Dec 7 are included in the totals. Considering the Mint web site still lists these as OOS, there might be more...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So still more to come. Great >>

Maybe. I don't know if the orders that were still on "Backorder" on Dec 7 are included in the totals. Considering the Mint web site still lists these as OOS, there might be more... >>

But the "red bullet" indicating they are sold out is not there.
  • Options
    So, now the question is, if the mintage is 50,000, will there be enough demand to keep the prices up or will they end up being worth a buck?
  • Options
    Can we get some shipping updates? My order #27610** from 12/3 is still on hold has anyone's shipped close to this # yet!
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, now the question is, if the mintage is 50,000, will there be enough demand to keep the prices up or will they end up being worth a buck? >>

For PCGS collectors... there are really two coins here (Position A & Position B) with a mintage of roughly 25,000 each. Still not sure if there's enough demand from small dollar collectors alone.

But whenever there is a "special" coin with "low mintage" you'll get lots of extra collectors wanting though. For example, many folks like to buy the 1994-P and 1997-P Matte Proof Jefferson Nickels who don't otherwise collect the Jefferson Nickel series. As word spreads of this "special" coin, demand will certainly grow.
  • Options
    Maybe another 4 hour window coming up and they are probably done.

Don't expect an email if you are on their reminder list. Many on here including me never received an email. You have to watch their site constantly, but mornings seem to be a best time.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>New numbers from the Mint:

11/23/2014...2014 AMERICAN $1 COIN & CURRENCY SET...9,720.....That's +9,720 units over the previous week
    11/30/2014...2014 AMERICAN $1 COIN & CURRENCY SET...14,073...That's +4,353 units over the previous week
    12/7/2014.....2014 AMERICAN $1 COIN & CURRENCY SET...42,109...That's +28,036 units over the previous week

Zoom! Must have been some big orders in there... >>

I suspect the TV hucksters will be hogging the airwaves with these very shortly.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Has anyone recieved their coins look like this?

• Options
    Big box with 4 white boxes inside.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<As you know, these coins are not easy to grade. There are hidden scuffs and abrasions that one only sees after carefully taking the time to examine the coins. This coin is yet another example of why PCGS should adopt the MS69+ grade. That would be a highly desirable grade for this issue I believe. >>

I agree, the face of Sackie herself seems to have hairline scratches that takes some study to see. I only came up with maybe 10/75 with minimal marks but none completely mark-free. What kind of imperfections did the 69 have?

Still no word on FS cutoff date? Not showing on their site yet.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

<< <i>Has anyone recieved their coins look like this? >>

something not right?
  • Options

<< <i>

something not right? >>

Appears not enough stuffing in the box or he is missing a few sets! Mine were well packaged with lots of stuffing. Cutting corners to get them out the door now???
  • Options
    That's not bad at all.....
    Received our 4 coin spouse medal sets.... Spent a few hours cleaning them out of the box...
    They all were loose and out of there envelopes....
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

something not right? >>

Appears not enough stuffing in the box or he is missing a few sets! Mine were well packaged with lots of stuffing. Cutting corners to get them out the door now??? >>

Yeah, I removed. But should it come with separate box of 27sets?
  • Options
    The new shipping center has been breaking down orders and shipping several boxes per order...
    Even though it is the same product...
  • Options
    My order of 50 came in two separate boxes, one was 27 sets, other 23 -- not sure why, but they were all in normal brown boxes with plenty of paper padding.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The set I like is the "2001 AMERICAN BUFFALO COIN AND CURRENCY SET". That was nice. >>

Yes, I would agree. I have one of those.

Before I'd buy this current offering, which looks like nothing more than a dollar bill and Sacabuck wrapped in paper, I'd look into that 2001 set.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    My order from 12/3 is making progress...

Order Placed: 12/3/14

Order Status: ON HOLD
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Before I'd buy this current offering, which looks like nothing more than a dollar bill and Sacabuck wrapped in paper, I'd look into that 2001 set. >>

Oh, maybe you missed the coin description in the "current offering"...at $13.95....

Not to take anything away from the 13 year old set but.....this is now
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Before I'd buy this current offering, which looks like nothing more than a dollar bill and Sacabuck wrapped in paper, I'd look into that 2001 set. >>

Oh, maybe you missed the coin description in the "current offering"...at $13.95....

Not to take anything away from the 13 year old set but.....this is now >>

Kind of later to order the 2001 set from the Mint or get it at the issue price.
  • Options
    I see the first? PCGS MS69 FS up on ebay now -- Linkydink

Only $499. $179 for MS68. Is Tazmic a member here?
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    That price is a dream with NGC's selling at $99
  • Options

<< <i>I see the first? PCGS MS69 FS up on ebay now -- Linkydink

Only $499. $179 for MS68. Is Tazmic a member here? >>

Item location: Jackson, New Jersey, United States

14 day return allowed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji