Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2014 American $1 Coin and Currency Set (TA9)

Comments

• Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Whole lotta head scratchin' goin' on. >>

Refreshing. Usually it is the other end.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my orders placed at 12:30pm yesterday shipped with free shipping. (Notified by e-mail 2.5 hours ago.) Another order placed at 1:15 (350 order numbers later, not free shipping) is still on backorder.

And TA9 is again out of stock...
  • Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭
    75,000 of the millennium sets were made and they still hold a premium...so bring on the 50K with enhanced finish...it will still be a winner (one of the few mint products that will have an increased value 3-5 years down the road versus mint/proof sets).
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got the shipping notice on the 10 sets I ordered yesterday. Originally it said shipping on 12/8 so who knows. Think I'm just going to hold them and see what happens. >>

Me too.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Regarding serial numbers. Finally opened a box from just before they went OOS. All have a J0569 prefix, but every coin looks great.

J0569 6170A
    J0569 6171A
    J0569 6146A
    J0569 6145A
    J0569 6144A

So no, serial numbers are not in sequence, at least they don't appear to be. (In the end, they may be continuous, but they're not being shipped that way...)
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw the sold out thing as well, doesn't mean they won't change it again tomorrow (or later today). image

edit to add: Yes OOS, not sold out.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I suspect the following:

1) Whatever limited window where the product was available on the website yesterday and early today - represents product that were reserved for a customer where their CC could not be pinged/confirmed.
    2) The product will become available again when the product is received at the distribution location. This could mean that additional sets are not assembled, possibly more coins need to be struck, etc. but nevertheless-the product needs to be delivered to the distribution location.
    3) I do think that whenever the product becomes available again, the USM will be doing order "allocations", meaning if you happen to order a huge block of product and a limited amt remains - they WILL cancel or reduce your quantities. Believe me it has happened before. I have first hand experience.

But - I'll say it again - and I was correct......the PRODUCT IS NOT SOLD OUT.

• Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    Well, one thing about it. The Mint's Web design firm is making a "mint" trying to keep up with all these changes!!!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,434 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now I'm also going to say they are officially sold out. >>

Unknown factors
    - what does a hot item sell out look like on the new website? We haven't seen a white hot issue sell out on this new system. Is this what it will look like?
    - will this be short struck like some past issues?

Despite some doubts, I'm still in the very sure it's just OOS right now. I am even more sure they will make the 50k they said they will. only time will tell.

After the Kennedy issues, this one is exciting. image

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>75,000 of the millennium sets were made and they still hold a premium...so bring on the 50K with enhanced finish...it will still be a winner (one of the few mint products that will have an increased value 3-5 years down the road versus mint/proof sets). >>

i had forgotten what I paid for my 2000 C&C set.

I see on ebay they are now in the $85-$95 range

I was certainly wrong about the potential for the price appreciation of this set off just the $1 NA dollar. (indicating the $1 FRN is unremarkable unless it is high grade)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Well look at the bright side. The civil rights coins are still available and you can buy all you want!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who would have thought that a pedestrian issue like this would cause this much discussion? LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    not every issue is white hot!

the year has been a crazy one, but I think this is the kennedy gold on ebay story:

• Options
    I think most would agree that the Mint is predictably unpredictable.
  • Options
    Well, if the mintage stays low on these, just think what will happen if they issue a 2015 set!!! It might be a marketing ploy on the Mint's part after all! it seems this has happened in the past.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>I suspect the following:

1) Whatever limited window where the product was available on the website yesterday and early today - represents product that were reserved for a customer where their CC could not be pinged/confirmed.
    2) The product will become available again when the product is received at the distribution location. This could mean that additional sets are not assembled, possibly more coins need to be struck, etc. but nevertheless-the product needs to be delivered to the distribution location.
    3) I do think that whenever the product becomes available again, the USM will be doing order "allocations", meaning if you happen to order a huge block of product and a limited amt remains - they WILL cancel or reduce your quantities. Believe me it has happened before. I have first hand experience.

But - I'll say it again - and I was correct......the PRODUCT IS NOT SOLD OUT. >>

Yeah, but even a broken clock is right twice a day...image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I suspect the following:

But - I'll say it again - and I was correct......the PRODUCT IS NOT SOLD OUT. >>

Yeah, but even a broken clock is right twice a day...image >>

ROFL!! Face it, he had a 50/50 chance!!!
  • Options
    Yeah but so did all you naysayers, but like sheep you all had 101 reasons why
    it was sold out

Time to just admit it--you were all wrong, again
  • Options

<< <i>I can't believe I ordered more this AM.....Yesterday I said I was done (the fact that I COULDN'T order at the time helped)...but I was weak and it just happened..image >>

Could this be their diabolical plan? Some kind of psychological manipulation to make us keep buying. And right before Christmas too. Diabolical indeed.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Now I'm also going to say they are officially sold out. >>

>>

I don't think so.

<< <i>Unknown factors
    - what does a hot item sell out look like on the new website? We haven't seen a white hot issue sell out on this new system. Is this what it will look like? >>

Probably. It looks like the new fulfillment company is only going to sell what they have, or what they know they will have.

<< <i>Despite some doubts, I'm still in the very sure it's just OOS right now. I am even more sure they will make the 50k they said they will. only time will tell. >>

I think Denver has already struck all 50K coins, and what's happening right now is PFSweb is assembling the sets. I've got some theories on why the mint issued this set.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Next week the Mint will issue 5 million more sets and the price will drop to $1.98 in the aftermarket.

I better stock up
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah but so did all you naysayers, but like sheep you all had 101 reasons why
    it was sold out

Time to just admit it--you were all wrong, again >>

I don't think anyone thought they were completely sold out (they never are as some trickle out on all sell-outs) but the big question is will they really sell 50k sets?
  • Options
    On a different note, all my orders from yesterday at or around 11:00 a.m. est have shipped...5739 through 5799

And I gotta say, there hasn't been any real excitement around this place in years...Most of the mint offerings since 2011 have been same ole sandwich.
  • Options

<< <i>On a different note, all my orders from yesterday at or around 11:00 a.m. est have shipped...5739 through 5799

And I gotta say, there hasn't been any real excitement around this place in years...Most of the mint offerings since 2011 have been same ole sandwich. >>

• Options

<< <i>I don't think anyone thought they were completely sold out (they never are as some trickle out on all sell-outs) but the big question is will they really sell 50k sets? >>

OK Read back a few pages
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, mine were unceremoniously deposited in my mailbox this morning, so I have them now.

If PCGS were going to first strike them, anyone's best guess on the "submit by" date? When the first ones were available + 30 days?
    I'm debating opening or keeping sealed.
    Keeping or selling.

Sure, the Millennium sets do fine, but they were released when silver was low and contain the 1oz SAE in addition to the buck. These have no silver, therefore no SAE, and I think the # of Sac collectors is less.

On the flipside, being "enhanced" is pretty cool and the initial purchase price is pretty low.

On the 3rd side (cuz we all know that with coins, there truly are 3 sides image ), should they be sent in and what is the whole cost, what are they currently selling for and what is a possible projection (ie....is it worth it to submit once the major submitters get into the game)? If submitting in small groups, the extraneous costs (shipping, etc) add up. If bulk submitting, that is something else entirely.

So, more thoughts?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't think anyone thought they were completely sold out (they never are as some trickle out on all sell-outs) but the big question is will they really sell 50k sets? >>

OK Read back a few pages >>

Your right and the trickles I am referring to were to fulfill back orders. With them opening up 2 order windows the last couple days would indicate they have (had) stock to sell. Maybe it was bad CC numbers, bad address, or some found under someone desk, who knows. I don't believe they were returns. now, the next question is will the back orders all be filled or will the Mint revert back to past practices????
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well look at the bright side. The civil rights coins are still available and you can buy all you want! >>

True and it would not surprise me if it becomes the "sleeper" of $1 commems. Very low proof and unc. mintage for a $1 coin. (Note to myself, I might have to pick up a few before they go dark) Does any one know what the lowest mintage is for the modern $1 commems?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Well look at the bright side. The civil rights coins are still available and you can buy all you want! >>

True and it would not surprise me if it becomes the "sleeper" of $1 commems. Very low proof and unc. mintage for a $1 coin. (Note to myself, I might have to pick up a few before they go dark) Does any one know what the lowest mintage is for the modern $1 commems? >>

I can't find my eric Jordan book, but maybe check here:Link

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does any one know what the lowest mintage is for the modern $1 commems? >>

It is the 1996-D uncirculated Wheelchair Paralympic dollar with a 14,497 mintage.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

True and it would not surprise me if it becomes the "sleeper" of $1 commems. Very low proof and unc. mintage for a $1 coin. (Note to myself, I might have to pick up a few before they go dark) Does any one know what the lowest mintage is for the modern $1 commems? >>

I can't find my eric Jordan book, but maybe check here:Link >>

Thanks for the Link...it appears that all of the 1996 Olympic unc., had lower mintage's, but the proof looks promising. As of the latest report, it remains the lowest ytd with 59k. The current low is the: 1998-S Black War Patriots Silver Dollar with 75k sold..
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    Was it a similar 4.5 hour ordering window again today? Looks like it started earlier?
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok....let's not cloud up this thread, with all the replies, with the civil rights commem, eh image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>Ok....let's not cloud up this thread, with all the replies, with the civil rights commem, eh image >>

Sorry image
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My the traffic here is getting congested.

So am I hearing those who "backordered" yesterday (12/3) are already getting shipping notifications? Whaat that?

Mine all still show "backordered". I think there is a conspiracy with the Feds against Alaskans since Seward gambled away most of the mineral rights to the Palins...

fffffffffttttt

Also glad that 7/8 is finally coming clean! Ho Ho Ho
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does any one know what the lowest mintage is for the modern $1 commems? >>

I believe it is the uncirculated 1996-D Wheelchair Athlete silver dollar (Atlanta Olympic Games). A bit under 15,000 coins struck. I don't think any of the proof commem dollars are scarce.

Interesting that the 1995-W proof Silver Eagle has double the mintage of the uncirculated wheelchair athlete and is worth over $3,000, compared to about $200 for the uncirculated wheelchair athlete.

The 2008-W reverse of 2007 uncirculated Silver Eagle (mintage about 47,000) brings about $400 in MS69 and $800 in MS70. Mintage is only slightly less than the 2014-D Enhanced Sac (assuming that all 50,000 are made). Even though the Sac collector base is smaller, $30 or so per set still looks like a good value to me.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>

I believe it is the uncirculated 1996-D Wheelchair Athlete silver dollar (Atlanta Olympic Games). A bit under 15,000 coins struck. I don't think any of the proof commem dollars are scarce.

Interesting that the 1995-W proof Silver Eagle has double the mintage of the wheelchair athlete and is worth over $3,000, compared to about $200 for the wheelchair athlete. >>

Suggest you read 5 posts prior to yours....
  • Options
    I agree with OD's logic, but somehow collector's don't follow it.

But I do -- and ya never know --
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    I give kudos to the new fullfillment company for the Mint to process these orders so smoothly (except for the AK case, mentioned in the above thread which some fail to read apparently).

I also give kudos to all the Mint (or is it the fullfillment corp?) laborers (hopefully above mintimum wage) who are toiling to do such a nice job at filling these beautiful holders of Mint coins [KUDOS].

They really are VERY NICE (no dis). Perhaps the new strategy is to only sell what is ready to push out the door? Accounts for the daily maximum. Ahem.
  • Options

<< <i>Was it a similar 4.5 hour ordering window again today? Looks like it started earlier? >>

it appears to have been maybe 4 to 4:15 hours.

no western world love with the ordering windows.

• Options

<< <i>Ok, mine were unceremoniously deposited in my mailbox this morning, so I have them now.

If PCGS were going to first strike them, anyone's best guess on the "submit by" date? When the first ones were available + 30 days?
    I'm debating opening or keeping sealed.
    Keeping or selling. >>

PCGS first needs to admit these sets exist. Some people have already had these in hand for almost two weeks.

<< <i>Sure, the Millennium sets do fine, but they were released when silver was low and contain the 1oz SAE in addition to the buck. These have no silver, therefore no SAE, and I think the # of Sac collectors is less. >>

The ASE was also later revealed to be from West Point. The FRN started with "2000". They also cost 3x what the current set cost. ($39.95) Retail on the 2000 sets are some 3x ($100-$120) what the original price was, so if the 2014 set reaches about $40, you'll realize the same increase.

<< <i>On the flipside, being "enhanced" is pretty cool and the initial purchase price is pretty low. >>

I think they look much better than the burnished 2000 version.

<< <i>On the 3rd side (cuz we all know that with coins, there truly are 3 sides image ), should they be sent in and what is the whole cost, what are they currently selling for and what is a possible projection (ie....is it worth it to submit once the major submitters get into the game)? If submitting in small groups, the extraneous costs (shipping, etc) add up. If bulk submitting, that is something else entirely.

So, more thoughts? >>

I am seriously debating whether to have a few graded, though I'd probably go ATS to get the FRN graded as well to keep the set together.

Anyway, here's my WAG. (And remember, it's a WAG.)

Why do this set at all? All the other C&C sets were done for a reason. The 2000 C&C set was the millennial set. The 2001 C&C set was a tie-in to the Buffalo commem. The 2004 C&C set was a tie-in to the Lewis & Clark bicentennial. The 2012 C&C set was to celebrate the BEP's 150th anniversary.

So let's see. An American $1 Coin and Currency set released just before the end of the year, with a strong tie-in to the Corps of Discovery. Why? The 210th anniversary? Not mentioned in the text of the set. The bicentennial has been over for 8 years. Granted Sacagawea and the friendly tribes in the Northwest helped the Corps, but the mint over did all of that in 2004, with a L&C Commem, a Coin and Currency set and even a Coin and Pouch set. (And I am sad to report that after 10 years, whatever tanning agents used in the leather, did not tone the commem...) They even did a 4-coin circulating nickel commems ending in the redesign of the U.S. 5 cent piece.

The $1 Kansas City FRN has no tie-in to Lewis & Clark, except KC lies on the Missouri River. The problem is, when L&C passed it in 1804 and 1806, there was no Kansas, nor a city. (I would have given them a pass if it was a $2 FRN from Saint Louis, but then this is a $1 Coin and Currency set.) It's just a plain jane FRN, with a low-mintage uniquely finished coin.

Here's my WAG. This set was never supposed to be. But sometime earlier in the year, they test struck EU Sacs from circulation blanks at Denver. They've already done EU finishes at West Point and San Francisco, but only on silver. This is the first coin base-metal finish attempt. They struck the coins, and they looked so good, they decided to come up with a set to sell them in. Thus, we have a late year American $1 Coin and Currency set, a non-sequitur in the scheme of things.

I think the end-game could be an annual Enhanced Uncirculated Silver set. (Wasn't there rumors that the mint was thinking of a Reverse Proof annual set?) If we see a nickel-clad EU soon (and I'd be guessing the dime (from Philly) for a March of Dimes tie-in next year), then we might be looking at special clad annual sets as well.
  • Options
    I'm not sure about the lead in but the ending is plausible.

Rev proof sets?
    EU mint set?

Could be....

• Options
    OD-
    Drawing comparisons to similar mintage ASE's seems like it makes sense, but you
    Have forgotten one crucial element----DEMAND.
    There is nowhere near the demand or collector base for SAC's as there is for
    ASE's.
    ASE collectors probably number over 500,000 and you probably are lucky
    To have 25,000-30,000 SAC collectors by date/mm
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    << If PCGS were going to first strike them, anyone's best guess on the "submit by" date? When the first ones were available + 30 days? >>

Our coins were delivered to PCGS on the 26th, so I assume this is it give or take a few....
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>True and it would not surprise me if it becomes the "sleeper" of $1 commems. Very low proof and unc. mintage for a $1 coin. (Note to myself, I might have to pick up a few before they go dark) Does any one know what the lowest mintage is for the modern $1 commems? >>

I never would refer to this SAC as a commem....to me it's a dollar coin with a unique finish

...and the "backorder" status has been removed from the website....just says "out of stock"

...I ordered more at 730a yesterday and they went off sale a tad after noon....and my order status also says "backorder"
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still nothing official from the Mint? Has anyone called and talked to CS lately? They told OPA that they didn't expect any more sets, and then they sold more sets. I realize it's the Mint, but it might be time to revisit their definitions:

Back Order: When products are in “Back Order” status, this means that the product is available for sale, however there is no inventory in stock and a future ship date is displayed on our website. Products in this status can still be ordered online or through the customer contact center.

Out Of Stock: When products are in an “Out of Stock” status, this means we do not have inventory of the product and we do not have an anticipated in stock date. Products in this status cannot be ordered online or through our customer contact center, but you can request to be reminded when the product will be returning to sale (through the “Remind Me” function on the product detail page.)

Sold Out: Products in a “Sold Out” status are no longer in stock in our warehouses and are no longer available for sale. Products in this status will be removed from the website shortly after they have sold out.

They've never yet gone on Backorder. Thus, "we do not have an anticipated in stock date." Still, they sell a few at odd intervals. I don't think that CS even knows what's going on. They just work with what's in front of them, and not much else.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They've never yet gone on Backorder. Thus, "we do not have an anticipated in stock date." >>

Hummmm...so my order that said "backordered" yesterday (when I ordered) and had an expected ship date of 12/8 was imaginary???....image

Pointless to call the Mint number. They are great for dealing with an order problems but have no clue what is going on outside of their office....it would make more sense just to say "We do not have that information" rather that make a response up
  • Options
    Hummmm...so my order that said "backordered" yesterday (when I ordered) and had an expected ship date of 12/8 was imaginary???....image

Thanks, I'm just trying to keep up and to figger out what the Mint is doing. It's a hobby of mine.image

Please keep us updated if your ship date keeps changing.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Backorder Status - "you can check out anytime you want, but you can never leave"

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>They've never yet gone on Backorder. Thus, "we do not have an anticipated in stock date." >>

Pointless to call the Mint number. They are great for dealing with an order problems but have no clue what is going on outside of their office....it would make more sense just to say "We do not have that information" rather that make a response up >>

I saw the same backorder date of 12/8 when my orders were placed...funny it didn't show up anywhere's thereafter...and I also had the product total with the zeros on the side...But I received emails and shipped status for all my orders yesterday.

Here's what I got:

Shipment Summary

Dear Casman,

Thank you for shopping at the United States Mint. Your recent order has now shipped.

Order Number: USMXXXX9759

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file