Home U.S. Coin Forum

2014 American $1 Coin and Currency Set (TA9)

Comments

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OD-
    Drawing comparisons to similar mintage ASE's seems like it makes sense, but you
    Have forgotten one crucial element----DEMAND.
    There is nowhere near the demand or collector base for SAC's as there is for
    ASE's.
    ASE collectors probably number over 500,000 and you probably are lucky
    To have 25,000-30,000 SAC collectors by date/mm >>

Nope, I didn't overlook demand. My post said, "Even though the Sac collector base is smaller, $30 or so per set still looks like a good value to me." And by the way, many ASE collectors probably don't consider the 2008-W reverse of 2007 to be a necessary part of their collection, since it is an error. By contrast, the enhanced 2014-D Sac is intentionally distinct from the circulation strike.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Can anyone with multiple sets tell me whether the edge lettering appears in both "Position A" and "Position B"?

If so, each person collecting the series by edge lettering position will need two coins. This should increase collector demand by a bit.

• Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Backorder Status - "you can check out anytime you want, but you can never leave" >>

So "Please bring me my wine!"

I know, "'we haven't had that spirit here since nineteen sixty-nine"

Then I will take "the pink champagne on ice" (Hum, isn't champagne wine?????)
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can anyone with multiple sets tell me whether the edge lettering appears in both "Position A" and "Position B"?
    If so, each person collecting the series by edge lettering position will need two coins. This should increase collector demand by a bit. >>

I have never seen the validity of this distinction since it is basically a coin toss if not literally.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭

<< <i>
    I saw the same backorder date of 12/8 when my orders were placed...funny it didn't show up anywhere's thereafter...and I also had the product total with the zeros on the side...But I received emails and shipped status for all my orders yesterday.
    >>

This is exactly how my one order for 10 sets went. Hope they're some kind of winner, but at 11.95 over face, they'll be hard to be a loser I think.
    GMan
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dear Casman, Thank you for shopping at the United States Mint. Your recent order has now shipped. Order Number: USMXXXX9759 >>

Was that from yesterday??

My order from 730a yesterday (12/8 ship date) still says backordered and the number is xxx63925. I added the 5 digits 'cuz I couldn't tell if you were lower or higher than mine
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Dear Casman, Thank you for shopping at the United States Mint. Your recent order has now shipped. Order Number: USMXXXX9759 >>

Was that from yesterday??

My order from 730a yesterday (12/8 ship date) still says backordered and the number is xxx63925. I added the 5 digits 'cuz I couldn't tell if you were lower or higher than mine >>

My orders were all placed on the morning of Dec 3rd IIRC in and around 11:00 a.m. through 11:15 or so.

My earliest order number which may help gauge the number of orders in between is:

USM0XX59739
  • C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭
    BackroadJunkie ! What an excellent analysis!!! This part is especially on point:

"Here's my WAG.......But sometime earlier in the year, they test struck EU Sacs from circulation blanks at Denver....... This is the first coin base-metal finish attempt. They struck the coins, and they looked so good, they decided to come up with a set to sell them in. Thus, we have a late year American $1 Coin and Currency set, a non-sequitur in the scheme of things."

image"This is the [US Mint's] first coin base-metal finish attempt. " image

I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).

<< <i>BackroadJunkie ! What an excellent analysis!!! This part is especially on point:

"Here's my WAG.......But sometime earlier in the year, they test struck EU Sacs from circulation blanks at Denver....... This is the first coin base-metal finish attempt. They struck the coins, and they looked so good, they decided to come up with a set to sell them in. Thus, we have a late year American $1 Coin and Currency set, a non-sequitur in the scheme of things."

image"This is the [US Mint's] first coin base-metal finish attempt. " image >>

Then I would expect to see more of them in the coming years.

It is also NICE to own the FIRST non-bullion US Coin with a EU finish!!
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).

<< <i>

<< <i>Can anyone with multiple sets tell me whether the edge lettering appears in both "Position A" and "Position B"?
    If so, each person collecting the series by edge lettering position will need two coins. This should increase collector demand by a bit. >>

I have never seen the validity of this distinction since it is basically a coin toss if not literally. >>

Regardless of its validity, it is a distinction recognized by PCGS and collected by some.
    Proofs are struck in only one edge lettering position, circulation strikes and satin finish in both.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As predicted, I just got this email:

<< <i>Proofs are struck in only one edge lettering position, circulation strikes and satin finish in both. >>

These are stuck in both....checked 4 sets...two in each direction
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    true, but likely at higher mintages.

mint sets have 6 figure sales.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    You forgot the "Just $99 While Supplies Last!"

<< <i>As predicted, I just got this email:

image >>

• << <i>
    I think the end-game could be an annual Enhanced Uncirculated Silver set. (Wasn't there rumors that the mint was thinking of a Reverse Proof annual set?) If we see a nickel-clad EU soon (and I'd be guessing the dime (from Philly) for a March of Dimes tie-in next year), then we might be looking at special clad annual sets as well. >>

I remember seeing a coin world article a few months ago talking about an enhanced uncirculated set (3 different finishes like the Sac) replacing the annual proof set for 2015. It wasn't determined if the set would be clad or silver for the 10c, 25c, & 50c. The article also went on to say the annual silver proof set would continue and a possible reverse proof set (again no determination or clad or silver) .

Edited to add link to article:
    Article

<< <i>

<< <i>Proofs are struck in only one edge lettering position, circulation strikes and satin finish in both. >>

These are stuck in both....checked 4 sets...two in each direction >>

Thanks! So probably around 25K for each edge lettering position.

<< <i>

<< <i>
    I think the end-game could be an annual Enhanced Uncirculated Silver set. (Wasn't there rumors that the mint was thinking of a Reverse Proof annual set?) If we see a nickel-clad EU soon (and I'd be guessing the dime (from Philly) for a March of Dimes tie-in next year), then we might be looking at special clad annual sets as well. >>

I remember seeing a coin world article a few months ago talking about an enhanced uncirculated set (3 different finishes like the Sac) replacing the annual proof set for 2015. It wasn't determined if the set would be clad or silver for the 10c, 25c, & 50c. The article also went on to say the annual silver proof set would continue and a possible reverse proof set (again no determination or clad or silver) .

Article >>

Congress would more than likely need to approve the item in bold above. After years of the Mint making the statutory proof sets, silver and regular, and the uncirculated sets, I think it would be "improper" for the Mint to decide to change the contents of the sets or stop a set on their own. On the other hand, I think they could easily make an EU set and RP set, and even a "super set" of proof, RP, EU, and MS coins, under current legal authorization.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • He has 87 of those in stock. This will squash the ebay 69's. I have alot of sets coming and I believe if you sit on these for a while (And I mean a couple of years) You might do better in the long run. Seems like a run for the exits right now! Hopefully this set pans out real well for all of us! Also, has there been a 70 yet?

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Article >>

Congress would more than likely need to approve the item in bold above. After years of the Mint making the statutory proof sets, silver and regular, and the uncirculated sets, I think it would be "improper" for the Mint to decide to change the contents of the sets or stop a set on their own. On the other hand, I think they could easily make an EU set and RP set, and even a "super set" of proof, RP, EU, and MS coins, under current legal authorization. >>

If they did make on available in an annual "super set" then that should make the relatively puny numbers of this issue quite sought after.
    I know this is superficial but I see the ER label on the NGC holder is red. What happened to blue? Dang it, I want blue.image
  • brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭
    Hope they not come up with another packages contain this coin by end of the year.that's lame if they do it.

• << <i>He has 87 of those in stock. This will squash the ebay 69's. I have alot of sets coming and I believe if you sit on these for a while (And I mean a couple of years) You might do better in the long run. Seems like a run for the exits right now! Hopefully this set pans out real well for all of us! Also, has there been a 70 yet? I guess I am asking wondercoin did you get a 70 in your group you sent in? >>

Good question. 69's never seem to do much better than OGP in many Mint products (unless the remaining sets ship after ER deadline).
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hope they not come up with another packages contain this coin by end of the year.that's lame if they do it. >>

Not much of the year left. If it stays at 50K I think we are golden. Especially long term.
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got the mint Christmas catalog. The C&C set is in there but zero mention of the EU finish. This one slipped through, very cool.

<< <i> 69's never seem to do much better than OGP in many Mint products >>

Even if it is the top grade???

<< <i>

Even if it is the top grade??? >>

I think that only applies when there are tons of 70's.
    Just an FYI....in 14 years of SAC grading NGC has graded zero 70's.....but 2013 only got two (2) 69's from the Denver and Phily mint combined...2014 has 5 total

So with many more 69's from this issue maybe there will be a 70 or three

edited to add: referring to the MS version of course

• << <i>

<< <i>

I think that only applies when there are tons of 70's. >>

Will there not eventually be some 70's out of 50K? Sometimes MCM sells their 69's first. Not saying this is their plan, but it has happened.
    Just saw previous post. Interesting, thanks for the info.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think that only applies when there are tons of 70's. >>

Will there not eventually be some 70's out of 50K? Sometimes MCM sells their 69's first. Not saying this is their plan, but it has happened.
    Just saw previous post. Interesting, thanks for the info. >>

There should not be tons of 70's. I hope a few-especially one of mine.image
    Bureau of Engraving and Printing's holiday closure extends from Dec. 24 to Jan. 4
    Shipping of orders also suspended during shut down

By Michele Orzano , Coin World
    Published : 12/05/14

As an efficiency measure, both public tours at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing facilities located in Washington and Fort Worth will be shut down between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays.

The public tours and Visitor Centers at both facilities will be closed at the end of day shift on Dec. 23. The Washington, D.C., tour will resume Jan. 5, 2015, and the Fort Worth tour on Jan. 6, 2015.

The fulfillment and shipping of mail-order sales program products, incoming mail and other special deliveries will also be suspended during the closure. Those services will resume on Jan. 5.

For more information about public tours and BEP products, visit the bureau's website.

• Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    Isn't it nice the Fed's get the holidays off. What, do they think they work for the public school system???
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bureau of Engraving and Printing's holiday closure extends from Dec. 24 to Jan. 4

By Michele Orzano , Coin World
    Published : 12/05/14

As an efficiency measure, both public tours at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing facilities located in Washington and Fort Worth will be shut down between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays.

The public tours and Visitor Centers at both facilities will be closed at the end of day shift on Dec. 23. The Washington, D.C., tour will resume Jan. 5, 2015, and the Fort Worth tour on Jan. 6, 2015.

The fulfillment and shipping of mail-order sales program products, incoming mail and other special deliveries will also be suspended during the closure. Those services will resume on Jan. 5.

For more information about public tours and BEP products, visit the bureau's website. >>

OMg, a gov't shutdown Dec 23 through Jan 5. How will we survived?

<< <i>

<< <i>Bureau of Engraving and Printing's holiday closure extends from Dec. 24 to Jan. 4

For more information about public tours and BEP products, visit the bureau's website. >>

OMg, a gov't shutdown Dec 23 through Jan 5. How will we survived?
    image >>

Can't Make sets ;>
    The notes are likely printed to max and in the mint's possession. HQ has a way of disposing of unused FRNs.

They probably have a private printer for the sets but that is an assumption like assuming they don't

• mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    does anyone have a good idea on how to get the coins out of the mint cardboard for these sets?
  • baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is PCGS certifying/grading these as Specimen Finish (SP)?
    Sorry if this has already been asked, there's a lot of posts in this thread.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>does anyone have a good idea on how to get the coins out of the mint cardboard for these sets? >>

I used a sharp knife edge to pry open the capsule and get the coin out of the plastic. Not easy but it works, although hazardous to fingers possibly.

<< <i>does anyone have a good idea on how to get the coins out of the mint cardboard for these sets? >>

The capsule just pops right out of the cardboard....haven't had a reason to try to open a capsule though....I do have one of those lobster claw opener thingys thoughimage
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Congress only works 4 days this month, what's the schedule for the Mint, I wonder? Their shipping contractor is private business, so I suppose that they've got it covered.

Who thinks that they're still planning on maxing-out the 50,000 mintage? I am starting to think that it won't happen.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If Congress only works 4 days this month, what's the schedule for the Mint, I wonder? Their shipping contractor is private business, so I suppose that they've got it covered.

Who thinks that they're still planning on maxing-out the 50,000 mintage? I am starting to think that it won't happen. >>

I guess the question here is has the mint in Denver mint all 50,000 dollar coins yet, other than that is all about packaging, and resuming sell the rest next year.
  • mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Utility knife, split the capsule open...
    No need to ruin the packaging...

Carefully.......
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the question here is has the mint in Denver mint all 50,000 dollar coins yet, other than that is all about packaging, and resuming sell the rest next year.

That seems like a lot of extra shuffling around and extra work for a small run of brass coins while they're trying to close out the year. Time marches on without any announcement from the Mint about what they are actually doing.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    From the Mint:

<< <i>In announcing the resumption of sales, U.S. Mint officials said Dec. 3 that the bureau plans to produce the maximum authorization of 50,000 sets. “We did not anticipate such high demand, but are very pleased that so many of our customers are interested in the set because of the Native American $1 Coin,” Mint spokesman Michael White said Dec. 3 in announcing the resumption of sales. >>

Has anyone noticed that the "cancel" box (for all Mint orders) has left the planet.....checking orders and noticed the time of the orders was missing and the cancel box is history
    And did we ever note why it says limited by this item? Lots of items have limited mintages but it don't say limited? As in maybe limited availability...meaning none...seems goofy..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file