Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2014 American $1 Coin and Currency Set (TA9)

Comments

• Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    At 06:36 this morning no ordering function available.

I checked my order status at 09:00 and my order from yesterday is "processing".

So while I was on the Mint site, I looked at the item description page and it said "backordered", WITH the order entry box working. I ordered five more and got confirmation on it.

These might not be worth hundreds of dollars down the road, but easily 2-3x purchase price. Or more. It's a no-brainer.

Edited to add: no email alert again on this. I guess that since they are doing this ordering piecemeal, they would piss off too many people that get a reminder but then discover that the ordering is shut down. Again.
    Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one thread alone proves just how valuable this forum is.

I'm in.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I am surprised they resumed sales. Now I wonder what the ship dates will be on the back ordered.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the heck... I put in an order this morning too. Not much downside I guess.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who are we going to sell to if we are the only ones who know these exist?
  • Options

<< <i>Who are we going to sell to if we are the only ones who know these exist?
    image >>

each other, of course
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I bit. Says Backorder estimate In Stock Monday December 8th

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I've seen it all. Coinboy actually wrong in his prediction. That breaks a pretty long accuracy streak doesn't it Coinboy? Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Now I've seen it all. Coinboy actually wrong in his prediction. That breaks a pretty long accuracy streak doesn't it Coinboy? Wondercoin. >>

you mean its not true image
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Who are we going to sell to if we are the only ones who know these exist?
    image >>

Dang, I was going to retire on the 19 sets I have, Oh well, back to work.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I some how missed these the first go round. Glad I got a second chance. image
    I like the 2000 Millennium set and have a quite a few graded and in ogp. I love these burnished and/or enhanced dollars.
  • Options
    razzlerazzle Posts: 981 ✭✭
    Ordered 2 sets from site, shows "backordered" but accepted.
    Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50k is a lot to sell through

Sell out date predictions.... And if they go back on sale due to returns.

12/21
    Yes
    And 2014 sets will be sold on HSN this weekend or next. The coin will be an ANACS 70.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    So now they are out of stock and you can't order. What a mess!!
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So now they are out of stock and you can't order. What a mess!! >>

They shut it down for lunch....
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

This is exactly what it was this past weekend and until they can "get more in stock" (up to the 50,000 limit, it'll probably occur again.

As posted, this is probably the functionality of this new web site because, in the past, orders could be taken (up to the maximum) regardless of whether or not they were in stock.

I remember ordering the 2006 20th Anniversary SAE Sets in August and these didn't even begin shipping until October. The 250,000 limit hadn't been reached either due to controversy over the contents of the set.

Oh well........
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭

<< <i>Now I've seen it all. Coinboy actually wrong in his prediction. That breaks a pretty long accuracy streak doesn't it Coinboy? Wondercoin. >>

LOL!

Mitch, I truly appreciate the acknowledgement of my record here on the Board.

Some still need a Oracle versed in US Mint Retail Economics, and as you can see I have been reluctantly filling in ;>

I note the order button is again missing on Backorders so I re-affirm my conviction they are gone.

I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    I can't believe I ordered more this AM.....Yesterday I said I was done (the fact that I COULDN'T order at the time helped)...but I was weak and it just happened..image
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    By the way, still no email notification they are (were) available. So, what is worse, backordering or never getting notified when available even though they are. IMOP, the latter is worse. The Mint still has some work to do!
  • Options
    Here is how they filled an order I put in yesterday for (50) Units.

They had to assemble it !! A few here, a few there!

American $1 Coin and Currency

$13.95 Qty 19
    Total: $265.05

$13.95 Qty 27
    Total: $376.65

$13.95 Qty 4
    Total: $55.80

I have never received a single order like this in one invoice noting the assembly to get to 50 Units.

That seems like scraping a bottom of some barrel image
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    This will go down as one of the strangest offerings (in the way that you are able to order on and off) and the fact that this is a special low mintage special finish coin (that was not really advertised at first) with no household limit and that it's already a double on ebay as you order it.

All very odd, and very cool for those who keep informed image
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why dont they just keep it open if your going to mint 50k units and did not sell out or maybe it is sold out and now they are giveing out all the returns? I guess All we can do is sit back and see what they are going to do and bang away at the item when they do open the doors here and there. Not a killing but $4k for $12k why not it's $$$$.. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

<< <i> I have never received a single order like this in one invoice noting the assembly to get to 50 Units. >>

Probably will come in 3 separate shipments.... maybe they ran out of bigger shipping boxesimage

Edited to add: a dude on the crazy person's forum said he ordered 20k around 9am FWIW.....do I believe him? ummm...no
  • Options

<< <i>This will go down as one of the strangest offerings (in the way that you are able to order on and off) and the fact that this is a special low mintage coin with no household limit and that it's already a double on ebay as you order it.

All very odd, and very cool for those who keep informed image >>

Amen on that!

If they actually had made 50K there would be the expensive (for the Mint to check each order) implementation of Family limits.

The Mint wants any remaining units out the door so it can move on and prepare for the next business strike gimmick in 2015.

The Mint can actually create a note worthy Coin when they want to. They are good at it. Marketing, not so good.
  • Options
    razzlerazzle Posts: 981 ✭✭
    I think the screen I got said they would ship this Mon Dec 8. Wish I had paid more attention.
    Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • Options
    I think they will ship 50k....they were absolutely clueless about this set and it started with not mentioning WTF was actually in it. They assumed sales of this assumed boring fluff set would mope along and end in 4-5 months at 14k.....absolutely clueless....thus the no household limits and the low initial availability.
  • Options

<< <i>I think the screen I got said they would ship this Mon Dec 8. Wish I had paid more attention. >>

Correct
  • Options
    I respect wondercoin's respect of you coinboy, but if the mint says at this stage that 50k are coming out, then the full 50k are coming out. all they need to do is mint them in 2014. they can sell them into 2015 if they last that long.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭
    I just don't get it about fedex smartpost, why can they just go directly through USPS? Maybe usps capability or they contracted with fedex?
  • Options
    Probably cheaper....
  • Options

<< <i>I respect wondercoin's respect of you coinboy, but if the mint says at this stage that 50k are coming out, then the full 50k are coming out. all they need to do is mint them in 2014. they can sell them into 2015 if they last that long. >>

Unfortunately, nothing the Government 'says' matters, it is what the Government actually does that counts.

I use my past observations of what they said and then I keep track of what they ended up doing, as my own gauge of 'the truth'

This issue is simply following the typical pattern of operation.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone want to make a friendly wager that they are not out of stock and they will again be taking orders on the U.S. Mint website?
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    All my orders from yesterday have just shipped. Box of 10, Box of 8, Box of 8, Box of 1, Box of 5. I said I was done but like a "pavlovian dog" I ordered 10 more this morning. Seems they are piece mealing these from the mint. Also only 4000 orders from yesterday order to this mornings order, so not a real lot of orders, though not all are for this set.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol, I can't decide whether to return some sets or not.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just don't get it about fedex smartpost, why can they just go directly through USPS? Maybe usps capability or they contracted with fedex? >>

It's a totally goofy system. You are on the money. Why even use this service? USPS can deliver a 1st class letter or small box in 4 or 5 days anywhere in the US. Smartpost takes 21 days average. It must take the place of old 4th class mail ship by wagon train or donkey cart. Well, somebody over there is a donkey. And as always in every situation where the customer comes second and what "they" are doing doesn't make sense...follow the money. There you will find the answer 99.99% of the time.

• Options
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just don't get it about fedex smartpost, why can they just go directly through USPS? Maybe usps capability or they contracted with fedex? >>

Most likely a lower contracted rate and a deal about pickup times/locations.
    The end transfer to USPS makes me shake my head about the financials though as the USPS has to make money in there somehow, at some rate, and fedex is obviously doing the lions share of the work so likely taking most of the money......not sure how smartpost works but it seems screwy to me.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>

Anyone want to make a friendly wager that they are not out of stock and they will again be taking orders on the U.S. Mint website? >>

I agree, not sold out

I'll $13.95 bets.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Most likely a lower contracted rate and a deal about pickup times/locations.
    The end transfer to USPS makes me shake my head about the financials though as the USPS has to make money in there somehow, at some rate, and fedex is obviously doing the lions share of the work so likely taking most of the money......not sure how smartpost works but it seems screwy to me. >>

FEDEX smart post rates
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BACK ORDER ICON IS GONE, NOW SAYS "OUT OF STOCK"!

Senior Moment image
  • Options

<< <i>BACK ORDER ICON IS GONE, NOW SAYS "SOLD OUT"! >>

Where did you see that?
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NOW SAYS "SOLD OUT"!

I'm not seeing that.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Yep. Told all of you they werent sold out.

And they still arent sold out.
  • Options

<< <i>Yep. Told all of you they werent sold out.

And they still arent sold out. >>

Keep doing the Opposite Day thing, I'm with you
  • Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    I just got the shipping notice on the 10 sets I ordered yesterday. Originally it said shipping on 12/8 so who knows. Think I'm just going to hold them and see what happens.
    GMan
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Funny thing is - I ordered and received my sets originally,

Did not go back and order more

• Options
    Saying and Doing are Different when it comes to Mint

"White said disclosure of the Enhanced Uncirculated finish on the Native American dollar coin was inadvertently omitted from the initial product description. The information is, however, part of the certificate of authenticity printed on the set’s packaging."
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I called PCGS to see what they are going to do; will they do a ENHANCED FINISH designation, special label and First Strike?

He said they don't know and to check their web site for an announcement first of next week. image
  • Options
    badhop55badhop55 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    Whole lotta head scratchin' goin' on.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I'm also going to say they are officially sold out.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file