Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2014 American $1 Coin and Currency Set (TA9)

Comments

• Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 818 ✭✭✭
    Back Order Status - available again
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Back Order Status - available again >>

Could this be returns?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    Well I probably missed the boat on this, but I just placed an order for 10. Site says backordered with Dec. 8th as the back in stock date. We'll see.
    GMan
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Either returns or they are doing another run. I ordered a few more. Better if they were returns and not doing another run keeping the mintage at 15K. Since you can't cancel without calling them, the mint is getting an idea of the demand for the set now with the backorder status. Free shipping over $100.
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Either returns or they are doing another run. I ordered a few more. Better if they were returns and not doing another run keeping the mintage at 15K. Since you can't cancel without calling them, the mint is getting a idea of the demand for the set now with the backorder status. >>

1) I don't think it's returns but rather they still have almost 35k to mint before they hit the sell out limit of 50K.

2) The Mint had produced a quantity of them (can't remember the exact number, but in the thousands) before the order start date. It was obviously popular and then the enhanced buzz started and they sold out of the first production run. And I see no reason why they wouldn't keep production going until the 50k limit as they know they have a winner on their hands.

3) Even at 50k it should prove to be a valuable catch for a modern coin that has a popular following.

JMHO
    Bob
    Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭

This may sound counter-intuitive, but hey, I am talking about the US Mint.

If the Mint had the 50K made they would have shut down the frenzy with Family Limits because the Mint just can not stand the 'folks' making money on a flip based on the Mint's unintended actions (screw-ups).

Remember that inherent Mint 'jealousy' when figuring out the "Wilfred " move the Mint makes later when it tries to repair a screw-up.

It takes two weeks to haul them out of a warehouse? No way.

The Mint aint' making these coins between now and December 31st.

Mint people take their Holiday/Vacation days in December in a creative manner that would just astound a regular "working joe" .

This is the MINT selling off what they have left, IMHO.

Did anyone notice the "Out of Stock" has not been removed at the higher level Web Page?

They are doing a 'shoulda-woulda-coulda'type tally to see how they goofed this one up.

I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    I hope this is just getting rid of returns and that no one gets to order-happy on these. A big response might prompt them to fire up the presses although I still lean toward the feeling that they are more inclined to looking forward to the eggnog.
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrong thread! image
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    They hired more workers and made more

Item Number: TA9

Mintage Limit: None

Product Limit: 50,000

Household Order Limit: None
  • Options

<< <i>They hired more workers and made more

New workers? Maybe some errors coming up.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    So how come I haven't been notified by email that they can be ordered or is the notification only for when they are in stock???? I did sign up to be notified.

Now, the next question is should the sets in hand be kept sealed in their box for FS eligibility if future sets ship beyond the 30 day window? I know there are a few on here that have broke their boxes open.
  • Options
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They hired more workers and made more

Item Number: TA9

Mintage Limit: None

Product Limit: 50,000

Household Order Limit: None >>

That has always been the case for this product. They either had a second run, or they are selling approx 1k of unsold ones from the 1st run of 15k.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    "Out of stock".(again) .."backordered" ...no order link...no "remind me" link

Probably a bunch of returns got reshipped....

• Options
    brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone recieved email from the mint said " it's available to order again"?
  • Options
    Nope...signed up with two different email addresses

I specified that I didn't want returns..just new product so that's probably the reason imageimage
  • Options
    As indicated above, I was not notified and I didn't qualify my request in any way or manner.
  • Options
    ok, from the 1st post by the OP:

<< <i>Yawn. Someone tell me why this set exists... Maybe to show the new fullfillment company how to handle FRN notes? >>

Did you buy any BackroadJunkie and are you still yawning???
  • Options
    The Mint also just updated the US Mint Sales Page

Here is Yesterday's US Mint Tabulation I copied down:

Special Collectibles TA9 2014 AMERICAN $1 COIN & CURRENCY SET **14,024** N

Today's US Mint Tabulation:

Special Collectibles TA9 2014 AMERICAN $1 COIN & CURRENCY SET **14,073** N

These Baby's are indeed, sold out
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options

<< <i>Well I probably missed the boat on this, but I just placed an order for 10. Site says backordered with Dec. 8th as the back in stock date. We'll see. >>

Did you get a order confirmation? They might have pulled the inventory from the HQ kiosk and are blowing them out the door.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nope...signed up with two different email addresses

I specified that I didn't want returns..just new product so that's probably the reason imageimage >>

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>Has anyone recieved email from the mint said " it's available to order again"? >>

I'm telling ya, (see post a few hours ago) the Mint was just doing a 'shoulda-woulda-coulda'type tally to gauge the degree to just how they goofed this issue up.
  • Options
    This stinks got two orders in! Both went thru got confirmation, now in my account it shows one on hold with a 0.00 total and one backordered with a 0.00 total! So, I think these puppies are done! I don't think the Mint would do that to both my orders the first one even says it is going out UPS Ground Sig Adult. Anyone know what my chances are of getting these?

As of right now my debit card is still pinged for both orders! I still have a sick feeling, I was so happy I could snag a couple more of these!
  • Options

<< <i>The Mint also just updated the US Mint Sales Page

Here is Yesterday's US Mint Tabulation I copied down:

Special Collectibles TA9 2014 AMERICAN $1 COIN & CURRENCY SET **14,024** N

Today's US Mint Tabulation:

Special Collectibles TA9 2014 AMERICAN $1 COIN & CURRENCY SET **14,073** N

These Baby's are indeed, sold out
    image >>

I guess those new workers that someone said they hired went on strike.image
  • Options
    If they are pinging CC's then they should eventually be on their way...can't explain the $0.00
  • Options
    I made a small order to just follow from the inside and my order shows 0.00+4.50 shipping. You don't suppose they are not charging for some returned dogs?
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Ordered up more earlier.... If they pull through... The pile will just gets bigger

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>These Baby's are indeed, sold out >>

I dont think so.

You will be seeing these offered again. To the tune of another 15,000 initially, maybe even more. I suppose the USM has to determine how many more should be packaged for sale.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the 14,000 number holds, then the sub-$30 buys on the 'bay are deals.
  • Options

<< <i>Ordered up more earlier.... If they pull through... The pile will just gets bigger

image >>

Careful, don't fall off and hurt yourself.image
  • Options

<< <i>

I dont think so.

You will be seeing these offered again. To the tune of another 15,000 initially, maybe even more. I suppose the USM has to determine how many more should be packaged for sale. >>

If they intended to make more why wouldn't they just keep selling them in a backorder status?
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If they intended to make more why wouldn't they just keep selling them in a backorder status? >>

Lots of processes have changed in the new USM site. This is one of them.

Product Limit is 50,000. No one should even expect them to just cut off sales at 15,000.

Backordered/Out of Stock means exactly that.....they will be offering more. I would suspect within a week or so.
  • Options
    I have not done a lot of Mint shopping lately but the way this product is going down seems screwier than usual.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I had confirmations for all my orders today when I ordered around 11:30 AM. The status in the queue is listed as backordered. CC pinged but when on backorder status. At least I am in their system and don't have to watch the mint web site if they become available. These could be sold out. If they have some over the counter, do the online orders take precedence over the counter stock? More than likely the counter stock is all gone too.
  • Options

<< <i>

I dont think so.

You will be seeing these offered again. To the tune of another 15,000 initially, maybe even more. I suppose the USM has to determine how many more should be packaged for sale. >>

Frankly I have no opinion as I have dealt with the mint for many, many year and learned not to try to second guess them. If they haven't minted the coins, I don't believe they will grind out more this late in the year unless their presses are sitting idle. If they do have the coins, then they just might package them up and ship them out. Who is to really know what they are going to do?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If they intended to make more why wouldn't they just keep selling them in a backorder status? >>

Lots of processes have changed in the new USM site. This is one of them.

Product Limit is 50,000. No one should even expect them to just cut off sales at 15,000.

Backordered/Out of Stock means exactly that.....they will be offering more. I would suspect within a week or so. >>

Except when it come to the Kennedy clad set. WHOLE different story, or should I say process.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not sold out.

Look at the 2014 gold buffalo. It shows out of stock and the little gold hourglass and backorder button is gone.

The TA9 has the little icon, that says it will be coming back soon.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll bet the workers are PO'd. Billions of prezzies jamming every corner of every floor of vault space and they have to run a few thousand of these things. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    BurnieBurnie Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    Out of stock makes perfect sense...no doubt more are on the way. With the new mint inventory system they are only selling what they have in stock, which is much better to gauge interest.

It would seem to me that selling a small batch at a time to drive more interest in a given release is a good retail formula. How many here ordered extra because of the perceived low mintage... I did.

Job well done US MINT.
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • Options

<< <i>This is not sold out.

Look at the 2014 gold buffalo. It shows out of stock and the little gold hourglass and backorder button is gone.

The TA9 has the little icon, that says it will be coming back soon. >>

If that were true, why can't they actually be backordered? The Mint could easily take another 15k backorders if they actually have the product. Look at the Kennedy set. You CAN backorder these, backorder hourglass, Qty. and backorder button. I BO'ed a few a couple days ago and have yet to be notified they are shipping.

Order Status: BACKORDER

50th Anniversary Kennedy 2014

$9.95 Qty 10 Total: $0.00
  • Options

<< <i>

I dont think so.

We both know you are not that stupid to believe the fantasy you just wrote up, we both know they are gone. image
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I dont think so.

We both know you are not that stupid to believe the fantasy you just wrote up, we both know they are gone. image >>

Well good Ole' Punxsutawney Phil can be right only once per year, so ya never know.image

But maybe we should wait for Gandalf, the Man behind the curtain, Captain Fairness, or the Oracle to chime in...image
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Opened up mine today. One of them had the dollar offset to one side to a large degree. About 20% of it was covered by the paper part of the frame. I tried to free it back into
    the window but it wouldn't budge. I tried several different methods & finally got angry and just opened it up. Turns out it was glued to the paper frame and I could not release it
    without it tearing. So I tore it out, taped it up & put it in my wallet. The coin was pretty clean so maybe I'll sent it in for plastic.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Hey I checked both my Magic 8 Ball and my Ouija Board. I asked the Magic 8 Ball 3 times and got the following answers:

It is certain
    Without a doubt
    Yes definitely

When I asked the Ouija Board 3 times, it scooted up to yes two times and spelled Y E S the third time. I think it was getting tired of me asking!!! image
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they had enough coins struck, but were lacking in one or another part of the packaging. Maybe they needed more $1 bills or the packaging itself. Remember the UHR books???
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I dont think so.

We both know you are not that stupid to believe the fantasy you just wrote up, we both know they are gone. image >>

Right.

So the US Mint announces a maximum of 50,000 sets, of which, 14,073 sell in a little over a week so these are just "gone"?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I luckily stumbled across the b/o opportunity this morning while waiting at the docs office. Noticed it had a cap on orders, would not let me order 20,000 more...or 50 for that matter. 25 orders worked so snagged 'em. Oh what fun on a smartphone placing this orders.

Anyway, the email confirmations came quickly and oddly made no mention of b/o status. Neither does the order history show them b/o'd. CCs are pinging as usual.

As I recall, when I made the orders, it did give an estimated date of shipping. I THINK it was 12/8 -- is that correct? I didn't worry since in the past, the date would be show in the order status and confirmation email.

And no...I didn't get an email notification either regarding the ability to b/o.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I dont think so.

Right.

So the US Mint announces a maximum of 50,000 sets, of which, 14,073 sell in a little over a week so these are just "gone"? >>

I think that if it were earlier in the year they would probably make more but what they probably did was make a guess as to how many they would sell and made them with no plans to go through the process of making more and getting more packaging. I do think they will gear up next year with a similar product and make a few more.
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe they had enough coins struck, but were lacking in one or another part of the packaging. Maybe they needed more $1 bills or the packaging itself. Remember the UHR books??? >>

I don't think the US Government is lacking in FIAT though maybe they are when it comes to little old $1 bills!!! Generally you only see pictures of pallets of $100 bills come to think of it.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who knows but we will see. Hope they dont but you never know. image

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file