Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2014 American $1 Coin and Currency Set (TA9)

Comments

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It occurs to me that the final mintage could come in at substantially fewer than 50,000 sets. Many Mint offerings have been discontinued before reaching their stated mintage limits.

With end-of-year issues such as the changeover to 2015 coinage and an influx of holiday orders, striking another batch of enhanced Sacs may not be a top priority.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>To think 50k historically-popular and ethnically-relevant coins can't find a home is not a stretch. >>

It is a stretch. A big stretch.

When is the last time you saw a "Native American" coin collector at your local show?

Never.

Yup. I thought so. >>

Great, another thread filled with multiple posts and advice from the Oracle, the Man behind the Curtain, Captain Fairness, Gandalf, and now it seems Punxsutawney Phil showed up and insulted Native Americans...Good Grief...
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I still can't believe they didn't use a $2 FRN from St. Louis Fed

A special run on them would have brought these to moon money prices. >>

I agree...this set is like buying something at the supermarket that has a $1 off coupon attached for immediate use...

"I want the coin...and I get a buck off the price"
  • Options

<< <i>It occurs to me that the final mintage could come in at substantially fewer than 50,000 sets. Many Mint offerings have been discontinued before reaching their stated mintage limits.

With end-of-year issues such as the changeover to 2015 coinage and an influx of holiday orders, striking another batch of enhanced Sacs may not be a top priority. >>

I think every single one of these will go out the door....maybe a few under 50k for a final number because of returns.

I think the coins were already struck....it is the packaging that most likely is the issue
  • Options
    spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    Across the street says.The US Mint has sold out of the 2014 American $1 Coin and Currency Set, which went on sale on November 20. Priced at $13.95, this affordable set includes an Enhanced Finish 2014-D Sacagawea Dollar and an Uncirculated Series 2013 $1 Federal Reserve Note.
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've never been to a coin show. Honestly. Collector for over 40 years.

Do I not count?

Can anyone say a certain ethnic group don't collect just because they don't attend big coin shows? I would venture to say that many, many coin collectors do so without gracing an (intimidating for some) bourse floor.

Still optimistic about this set (on topic). >>

You are of course right... that other poster doesn't have a clue what everyone's nationality is, that collects coins.

I don't think this set is going to be hugely valuable, but for a unique issue, of a common coin, which apparently has a very small mintage, it will have plenty of demand, imo.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    One thing that may make this more interesting is what may be a wider range of grades and not just the usual 69 or 70 and also the possibility of a proof-like. I hope the TOG's don't just automatically refuse to give 70's as a policy as they sometimes do.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You have to be kidding, right? What, because you didn't see someone in war paint and a headdress you don't think there weren't any Native American there? Your statement is one of the goofiest comments I have seen in a long time. >>

Now you are taking comments made waaaaaaaaayyyyy out of context. War paint? Your comments are purely ridiculous.

The OP said there were sooooo many ethnic people ready to scoop up at least 50,000 of these........we ALL know that is most likely not true.

• Options
    Quick, Somebody grab a shovelimage
  • Options
    I hope we will get to the point were we do not care what some ethnic group does or does not do and we can get to e pluribus unum. The irony to me is that the more the Mint or other government agency promotes some racial group the more they risk fractionalizing our country. My feeling is that those with native american roots in some fraction or 100% mostly collect these or any coin for reasons not related to their ethnicity although a small group may.
  • Options

<< <i>Across the street says.The US Mint has sold out of the 2014 American $1 Coin and Currency Set, which went on sale on November 20. Priced at $13.95, this affordable set includes an Enhanced Finish 2014-D Sacagawea Dollar and an Uncirculated Series 2013 $1 Federal Reserve Note. >>

Yes, you said that yesterday and I also got the email. I also found 2 other places that said they were sold out.

SO who are you going to believe...NGC or the Mint where they say "currently out of stock" and have placed a "Notify me when more become available" button on the ordering page.

Explain why they wouldn't just use something like, oh I don't know, maybe "Sold out" instead.....

• Options
    They may have packaging issues to consider before they make more and that may cause them to say no to more.
  • Options
    Good question. I assumed a reputable business wouldn't post information like that unless they somehow actually knew it to be true.
  • Options
    Time for some to wake up and smell the coffee. No need to make stupid comments.

If you have been collecting coins and/or attending shows for the past 40 years like I have, you know the demographics of the vast majority of the group. We all know there will be exceptions.

If there was better representation across gender, age groups, and ethnicity - this would bring a much larger pool of collectors and would boost demand and prices. Without doubt, this would be good for coin collecting.

Back to this product. Are there 50,000 collectors of SAC dollars by Date/MM. I doubt that highly. Not a particularly popular set at all.

Also, the USM has CLEARLY indicated on the product page that 50,000 is the PRODUCT LIMIT. The MINTAGE limit is NONE.

Based on what we do know about the USM, this means they CAN mint more than 50,000 and sell them in other packaging options. They may not -but they CAN.

• Options
    Based on what we do know about the USM, this means they CAN mint more than 50,000 and sell them in other packaging options. They may not -but they CAN. >>

Just about the only thing we know is that they cannot make them next year with this date and design so they better get cracking if they want to make more. Also, consider that they will have a lot of people on vacation and holiday leave until next year.
  • Options
    Bochiman! Great Post, thank you! Feels like the old days on this Board, at least for me.
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options

<< <i>about the only thing we know is that they cannot make them next year with this date and design so they better get cracking if they want to make more. Also, consider that they will have a lot of people on vacation and holiday leave until next year. >>

They could have made them already. Unlikely. But could have.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>about the only thing we know is that they cannot make them next year with this date and design so they better get cracking if they want to make more. Also, consider that they will have a lot of people on vacation and holiday leave until next year. >>

They could have made them already. Unlikely. But could have. >>

Possible but I would expect that if they did you would see an indication of it in a future product in the release schedule. Also, if they had a stash still they may not be posting out of stock.
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bochiman! Great Post, thank you! Feels like the old days on this Board, at least for me. >>

Agreed! image
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    True.

9,720 sets sold / 50,000 available. As of Nov 23.

I'm betting these become available again very soon.
  • Options

<< <i>If we make it, they will come.

Perhaps utter market rejection of them will change their mind?

price? An insane $13.95

The finish is Unc. - which means it'll be beat. >>

You mean mishandled slightly more than they mishandle the proofs?
  • Options

<< <i>Back to this product. Are there 50,000 collectors of SAC dollars by Date/MM. I doubt that highly. Not a particularly popular set at all. >>

It's popular enough to sell a few million circulation strikes a year from each mint at premium prices, in addition to the coins in mint sets.

I doubt if this would be the case if there weren't at least 50,000 collectors of SAC dollars by Date/MM. That's not a large number relative to the total number of collectors, the set is nice looking, and it's more affordable than many other sets.

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    The mint could also be just be waiting for enough returns. The hoarders may be picking out the best and returning the rest. Who knows. They have seven days to do so. If you bought 10,000 wouldn't you pick out the best and return the beat up ones. It would lessen your risk somewhat.
  • Options
    I joked about the returns being the remaining sets but the way you put it makes a lot of sense...so they won't be back in stock for at least a couple of weeks
  • Options
    Looks like the thread is hung up. Maybe this will move it along.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what i think and i dont do that much image They dont have a let's see if any one sends back any line button so they came up with the "currently out of stock" line so when they send back 5k to 10k they will have some where to go with them, do i want the 2nd round no i know what they are returns and i dont want some one's returns that did not get MS69 or 70's. It's the way the big boy's play and the mint will keep you in line for 2 to 4 weeks. You wait and see this will give them time to know how many returns will be coming back and they can push them out the door again. Now if they have 10k in line on hold for them they will put out the sold out sing but in till then. image That is just me Dumb Type2 thinking.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    At this point in time, if I had 10,000 sets I wouldn't return any unless they were real dogs. Anyone selling bulk quantities for a few bucks above issue price would probably find lots of willing buyers.

• Options
    Plus undeliverable as addressed, and bad credit card #s.
  • Options
    I think the issue here with this product is packaging. Having 10,000/50,000 ready to go - and wait on sales to see if anymore should be packaged.

Another thing we haven't discussed. HH limits. There have been several times in the recent past where a HH limit was not in place, and when huge orders came in - they were purposely lowered to spread the product around to more collectors.

It happens. Ive had first hand experience.

Don't be surprised if that happens as well.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many honest people will just return the versus sticking them to suckers on ebay?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>How many honest people will just return the versus sticking them to suckers on ebay? >>

They are not like us at the mint. Most will sell them off on the bay but the mint needs to look at it this way. Give it a week or two then the sold out sing will be there.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

<< <i>How many honest people will just return the versus sticking them to suckers on ebay? >>

Are you assuming that all honest people agree with your opinion of what these sets are worth? And that anyone who thinks differently is dishonest?

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭

I am surprised by some of your posts MsM. in this thread. This one really puzzles me.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I am surprised by some of your posts MsM. in this thread. This one really puzzles me. >>

You're right

Overly negative and sweeping.

Hurray! Another chance to be wrong!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well said Bochiman -- and YES Coinboy, it's like the good old days! My fav was 2008 with the fractional gold buffs, AGEs, and then the SAEs with the reverse variety.

So I'm hearing the C&C sets are shipping Smartpost for folks? Mine are showing USPS Priority mail but the tracking is not showing any status from their 11/24 shipping.

Bumming that I ordered in the first hour on sale and still nothing to behold...
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FedEx smartpost isn't a good thing.
    I don't like it. Would rather have USPS any day of the week.

"smartpost" is sloooowwwwwww

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭

<< <i>

I am surprised by some of your posts MsM. in this thread. This one really puzzles me. >>

It appears he's off the medicine
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

It appears he's off the medicine >>

Most of us have had our overly harsh moments from time to time. Right now I am getting over an L-Tryptophan high so forgiv mi if E fl aslee
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

It appears he's off the medicine >>

Most of us have had our overly harsh moments from time to time. Right now I am getting over an L-Tryptophan high so forgiv mi if E fl aslee >>

Not me, it's pretty much a constant state of mind!
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well said Bochiman -- and YES Coinboy, it's like the good old days! My fav was 2008 with the fractional gold buffs, AGEs, and then the SAEs with the reverse variety.

So I'm hearing the C&C sets are shipping Smartpost for folks? Mine are showing USPS Priority mail but the tracking is not showing any status from their 11/24 shipping.

Bumming that I ordered in the first hour on sale and still nothing to behold... >>

I remember them well...got involved in all of them including the Washington & Jefferson fdc's .. Those were the good ole days.

Don't forget...BongoBongo paying us a visit on New Years Eve 2008. I still laugh silently just thinking about it.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> >>

Don't forget...BongoBongo paying us a visit on New Years Eve 2008. I still laugh silently just thinking about it. >>

hmmmm....might need a refresher on that...
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> >>

Don't forget...BongoBongo paying us a visit on New Years Eve 2008. I still laugh silently just thinking about it. >>

hmmmm....might need a refresher on that... >>

Per your requestimage Just a view of his lines that were saved, before the thread got nuked.

"IF YOU BUY WHAT YOU LIKE, AT A PRICE YOU CAN AFFORD AT THE TIME, THEN THINGS WILL BE EASIER

IF YOU BUY WHAT OTHER PEOPLE LIKE, BORROW TO FUND IT AND EXPECT MULTIPLES OF RETURN, THEN YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE UNHAPPY

BONGO SAY NEARLY EVERYTHING DEPRECIATES OVER TIME.BONGO WOULD NOT PAY $500 FOR A SILVER BELL THIS XMAS AND EXPECT IT TO BE WORTH $550 NEXT YEAR. BUT BONGO KNOW A SILVER BELL IS NOT OLD COIN.

OR IS IT.

BONGO MAYBE NOT SURPRISED THAT OLD COIN IS LIKE ANY OTHER LIMITED NON ESSENTIAL COMMODITY AND SUBJECT TO THE WHIMS OF TASTE AND MARKET.

PUT THE COIN IN BOOK AND ENJOY IT.

IF IT IS WORTH MORE WHEN YOU COME TO SELL IT, WELL DONE

IF NOT, THEN YOU HAVE HAD ENJOYMENT OUT OF IT.

REMEMBER THAT OLD COIN IS ONLY WORTH FEW DOLLARS IN PHYSICAL MATERIAL VALUE - THIS IS WHY VALUE IS AN ESOTERIC CONCEPT IN MANY WAYS AND IT MAY BE VULGAR TO ASSIGN ANY MONETARY VALUE TO OLD COIN

UNLESS YOU ARE A RUSSIAN OLIGARCH OR CHINESE SHODDY GOODS FACTORY OWNER"

-------------------------
    "BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES"
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Any one selling on the bay seeing the prices going up? image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

<< <i>Any one selling on the bay seeing the prices going up? image >>

Going up from where? They seem to be a steady sell at 35+ at the moment...
  • Options
  • Options
    Just asking i think the 1st ones sold for like $19.95 ok thanks. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    I have a feeling that the great mass of collectors out there are not yet aware of this one. The collector demand for it may continue to snowball at a slower pace but may go higher than the typical issue on a percentage basis anyway.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a feeling that the great mass of collectors out there are not yet aware of this one. The collector demand for it may continue to snowball at a slower pace but may go higher than the typical issue on a percentage basis anyway. >>

Has it been highlighted in any coin rags yet?

That should push the snowball down the hill.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have a feeling that the great mass of collectors out there are not yet aware of this one. The collector demand for it may continue to snowball at a slower pace but may go higher than the typical issue on a percentage basis anyway. >>

Has it been highlighted in any coin rags yet?

That should push the snowball down the hill. >>

q

It probably will depend on how much notice it does get in the various numismatic publications and whether it is considered unique enough to command a greater premium. I think it has a good chance but seeing it in hand will be the biggest deciding factor for me,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file