Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2014 American $1 Coin and Currency Set (TA9)

Comments

• Options
    My first order of 10 was waiting on me when I got home. Order placed just after 12pm on Thursday, 11/20. Sac's look the part of enhanced uncirculated. Quality seems better than business strikes. Serial numbers were all over the place and few were consecutive as follows:

J 05701368 A
    J 05701348 A
    J 05701340 A
    J 05701338 A
    J 05701336 A

J 05701315 A
    J 05701313 A
    J 05701312 A
    J 05701311 A
    J 05701310 A

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Who is going to get xxxxx001 or will it be 000?

...and an FYI...(assuming you can read this)

The pages on this thread are not advancing...you have to add a number in the url to get the last page. Just look who the last post was from and if you don't see it add 1
  • Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭

That sounds too low, I know based on my numbers from yesterday, at least 15K had been sold by Lunch.
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oops. Wrong subject, BigA ...Post deleted. image
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    ...and what does that have to do with the C & C set?
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what it's worth, I just finished talking to a cs and he indicated they do not expect any more sets
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That sounds too low, I know based on my numbers from yesterday, at least 15K had been sold by Lunch. >>

You must have missed this part:

<< <i>However, you have to remember that this is through Sunday night, before the big reveal on Monday... >>

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    For what it's worth, I just finished talking to a cs and he indicated they do not expect any more sets

If true, than maybe they made only 25K which would be beneficial. With one month left they still could produce the other half or maybe not. Maybe the remind me button will be used as a kind of waiting list to see the demand for the set when showing out of stock.
  • Options

<< <i>Who is going to get xxxxx001 or will it be 000? >>

That's a good question. I believe a block of notes start with 01, so it might be 05700001 though 05750000. Assuming they're using consecutive serial numbers. (We still don't know that.)

If I was the Mint, I'd be keeping 05700001, 05702014 and 05750000 as specimens. But that's just me...
  • Options
    Yup...9720

Weird...
  • Options

<< <i>My first order of 10 was waiting on me when I got home. Order placed just after 12pm on Thursday, 11/20. Sac's look the part of enhanced uncirculated. Quality seems better than business strikes. Serial numbers were all over the place and few were consecutive as follows:

J 05701368 A
    J 05701348 A
    J 05701340 A
    J 05701338 A
    J 05701336 A

J 05701315 A
    J 05701313 A
    J 05701312 A
    J 05701311 A
    J 05701310 A >>

Thanks. So far J057X XXXX seems to be the magic serial numbers.
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    looking to buy 10-100 of these please pm with offer.
  • Options

<< <i>For what it's worth, I just finished talking to a cs and he indicated they do not expect any more sets

If true, than maybe they made only 25K which would be beneficial. With one month left they still could produce the other half or maybe not. Maybe the remind me button will be used as a kind of waiting list to see the demand for the set when showing out of stock. >>

Or two or three dealers or individuals picked 10K-15K sets on Monday after the news broke. 10,000 sets would have been a $140K gamble.

If the Mint doesn't fess up, we'll know in a week when the new sales figures come out. Now that the mint's new fulfillment company doesn't seem to want to back-order merchandise, we should start getting better real-time delivery numbers, rather than total number ordered...
  • Options
    Or two or three dealers or individuals picked 10K-15K sets on Monday after the news broke. 10,000 sets would have been a $140K gamble.

That scenario is quite possible and they are sold out. I could see a Coin Vault buying 15K sets. This offering by the mint would be easy to corner the market and then promote like crazy. The mint wanted to get rid of these as fast as possible so no household limit. They may have betted that a few dealers would take them all.
  • Options

<< <i>My first order of 10 was waiting on me when I got home. Order placed just after 12pm on Thursday, 11/20. Sac's look the part of enhanced uncirculated. Quality seems better than business strikes. Serial numbers were all over the place and few were consecutive as follows:

J 05701368 A
    J 05701348 A
    J 05701340 A
    J 05701338 A
    J 05701336 A

J 05701315 A
    J 05701313 A
    J 05701312 A
    J 05701311 A
    J 05701310 A >>

Thanks Gopher!

This is just like 2006 - 2007, Boys!

This issue is a Home Run!
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For what it's worth, I just finished talking to a cs and he indicated they do not expect any more sets >>

I was told the same thing. I'm betting these are gone and someone bought the farm yesterday.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>For what it's worth, I just finished talking to a cs and he indicated they do not expect any more sets >>

I was told the same thing. I'm betting these are gone and someone bought the farm yesterday. >>

Where will the burial be?
  • Options
    EBAY
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noticed tonight that "Out of Stock" has been changed to "Currently Out of Stock" FWIW..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Noticed tonight that "Out of Stock" has been changed to "Currently Out of Stock" FWIW.. >>

Maybe they are expecting some returns.
  • Options

<< <i>Noticed tonight that "Out of Stock" has been changed to "Currently Out of Stock" FWIW.. >>

It appears, that they did not produce the whole nine yards to begin with...Expect another run later. That's my interpretation.
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is surprisingly low --

Where did you get the mintage? It's not showing on the mint production page yet. >>

According to yesterday's Mint News Blog:
    "The United States Mint has announced a reduction to the product limit for the 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half Dollar Silver Coin Collection. The previously indicated limit of 300,000 units has now been reduced to 225,000 units."
    "As of November 24, sales have reached 165,824 units, up by 21,252 from the prior week. The cumulative total now represents 73.70% of the revised product limit. The US Mint has indicated that the product will remain available until sold out."
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That is surprisingly low --

Where did you get the mintage? It's not showing on the mint production page yet. >>

According to yesterday's Mint News Blog:
    "The United States Mint has announced a reduction to the product limit for the 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half Dollar Silver Coin Collection. The previously indicated limit of 300,000 units has now been reduced to 225,000 units."
    "As of November 24, sales have reached 165,824 units, up by 21,252 from the prior week. The cumulative total now represents 73.70% of the revised product limit. The US Mint has indicated that the product will remain available until sold out." >>

Who cares about the Kennedy set...we are discussing the coin and currency set TA9

"Special Collectibles TA9 2014 AMERICAN $1 COIN & CURRENCY SET 9,720"

nullUS Mint production figures...half way down TA9
  • Options
    He did the same a few posts prior....expect a post deletion soon
  • Options

<< <i>

Maybe they are expecting some returns. >>

Damn...you beat me to that comment image
  • Options
    11/24 BIN sold at 23.90

11/25 BIN sold at $49.95 and $38.50

As a side note:

I like this listing.....I wonder if it would be graded as "pre-enhanced"

<< <i>2000 US Millennium Coin & Currency Set w/ BURNISHED SACAGAWEA pre enhanced >>

In other words....regular SAC
  • Options
    Thanks for the work, Big A!

It will be interesting to see who gets what today!

I have Mon 12/01/2014 as my receive dates.
  • Options

Grote, how have you been?

I think you are right, the Mint & Contractor are scrambling to re-stock what remaining inventory they have.

I hope they screwed it up and under produced.

I'll bet the institute (5) Unit Limits if they do open up again on these.
  • Options
    I think the mint wants to get rid of these as fast as possible, so they might not impose household limit.
  • Options
    Any word on grading these either here or ATS? I know ATS had a note saying packaging was required and no ER but that was before "the Discovery"
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    So, what if they don't have any more enhanced versions Sac's and substitute the regular issue coin but only produce say 5,000 sets, which would be the better set to own?
  • Options

<< <i>So, what if they don't have any more enhanced versions Sac's and substitute the regular issue coin but only produce say 5,000 sets, which would be the better set to own? >>

Years ago, I would never give that a thought, however this is today.

Good point made, very plausible!
  • Options
    spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    And elves Will cross out the word "enhanced" with magic marker on the packaging.
  • Options

<< <i>As a side note:

I like this listing.....I wonder if it would be graded as "pre-enhanced"

<< <i>2000 US Millennium Coin & Currency Set w/ BURNISHED SACAGAWEA pre enhanced >>

In other words....regular SAC >>

The Millennium C&C set did have a burnished Sac that was close to the Goodacre finish, much different than the proof/uncirc finishes of that year. Some sets arrived without the burnished Sac, but the majority had a special finish. If you look, they did slab these Sacs as Millennium, Burnished (or not).
  • Options

<< <i>So, what if they don't have any more enhanced versions Sac's and substitute the regular issue coin but only produce say 5,000 sets, which would be the better set to own? >>

Not unprecedented:

Millennium Coinage & Currency Sets
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Got up this morning and they were showing in stock. Loaded 20, went through the checkout process as a guest becuase I'd forgotten my login stuff and was in a hurry. Got to the last step and it flipped back to the initial ordering page and it said quantity not available and at that point I had to split...Don't think it went through. >>

Just got home and reloaded the mint site...What it said when I tried to order 20 was quantity not available and it reduced my cart to 11 units...I checked out and did receive an order number and it says processing...Will upload screen shots later today...image >>

My order from yesterday got poofed. Guess I'll have to postpone my retirementimage
  • Options

<< <i>Any word on grading these either here or ATS? I know ATS had a note saying packaging was required and no ER but that was before "the Discovery" >>

NGC updated their page:

<< <i>The coin must be submitted under the NGC Modern Special grading tier. The five (5)-coin minimum will be waived. The default label will be the NGC Sacagawea label. The Enhanced Finish 2014-D Sacagawea $1 from the Coin and Currency Set is eligible for the NGC Early Releases or NGC First Releases designations. >>

They want the entire panel submitted.

Submit the 2014 American $1 Coin and Currency Set

PCGS seems silent on this issue.
  • Options
    That's the email I got the day they went on sale and before the EU thing was released. I guess no change....emailed them twice with no response. Still waiting for word from PCGS....
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

>>

I bought more than 9,000 so that number must not be correct image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

I bought more than 9,000 so that number must not be correct image >>

Before or after Sunday???
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Any word on grading these either here or ATS? I know ATS had a note saying packaging was required and no ER but that was before "the Discovery" >>

NGC updated their page:

<< <i>The coin must be submitted under the NGC Modern Special grading tier. The five (5)-coin minimum will be waived. The default label will be the NGC Sacagawea label. The Enhanced Finish 2014-D Sacagawea $1 from the Coin and Currency Set is eligible for the NGC Early Releases or NGC First Releases designations. >>

PCGS seems silent on this issue. >>

nGC says they are sold out twice in their press release!

• Options
    thread not moving!!!
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

NGC updated their page:

PCGS seems silent on this issue. >>

Let's giddy-up PCGS. Mo product, mo money.
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    jessewvu, they just opened it up to me for a one purchase deal at the mint for 10,000 and now they are officially goneimage
  • Options
    My 1st 15 are "out for delivery"...I should have them in an hour or soimage
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Or two or three dealers or individuals picked 10K-15K sets on Monday after the news broke. 10,000 sets would have been a $140K gamble.

That scenario is quite possible and they are sold out. I could see a Coin Vault buying 15K sets. This offering by the mint would be easy to corner the market and then promote like crazy. The mint wanted to get rid of these as fast as possible so no household limit. They may have betted that a few dealers would take them all. >>

I hope it was Coin Vault. I'll sell mine for a slight discount.... image
  • Options

<< <i>jessewvu, they just opened it up to me for a one purchase deal at the mint for 10,000 and now they are officially goneimage >>

So you are filled on your BST request "for 10-100" units? image
  • Options

Well I just opened up my 1st of 15 delivered today and the $1 serial number is J05699118A

Kinda kills that 000-50,000 thing...maybe it's xxx75000-xxx25000...or not

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, assuming these are all gone and those of us dumb/smart enough to get some have them, what will the pricing pattern look like over the rest of the year?

Spike, then drop, then spike just before Christmas, then slow decline or...?

Edit to add: Nobody seriously believes there are 50,000 Sac collectors that need one, do they?
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a lot of collectors for these.

The suckers on ebay are getting burned. These will die fast.

The fuss on here about paid line standers and now there are those here trying to corner the market on these?

Well, sequential $1 FRNs are not special. If the suckers can be tricked into buying these thinking the hoardes mean rarity then you have a market, but it's a fools market and the buyers are being taken and suckered.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file