Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2014 American $1 Coin and Currency Set (TA9)

1242526272830»

Comments

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The last two digits look fine to me. The "2" (third digit from right) appears to be low. >>

Exactly what I was going to post...
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't seen anything recently regarding the range of serial numbers on the $1 FRN's, so here goes...

Coinboy posted on 12/12/14 that he had numbers as low as 05696035. If the first note in this set was 05696001, and the numbers were all sequential, the last number would have been 05746000. I received my sets over the weekend, and the highest number was 05748451, which is 52,417 higher than Coinboy's lowest number. Therefore, the numbers are not limited to a range of 50,000. Does anyone who has received sets within the past few days (or will receive them later this week) have numbers higher than 05748451?

Side note: the ANACS-graded EU69 coin with missing edge lettering sold for $11,759 on Great Collections last night. Do more of those exist?

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    5 sets ordered dec 5 shipped last week
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I haven't seen anything recently regarding the range of serial numbers on the $1 FRN's, so here goes...

Coinboy posted on 12/12/14 that he had numbers as low as 05696035. If the first note in this set was 05696001, and the numbers were all sequential, the last number would have been 05746000. I received my sets over the weekend, and the highest number was 05748451, which is 52,417 higher than Coinboy's lowest number. Therefore, the numbers are not limited to a range of 50,000. Does anyone who has received sets within the past few days (or will receive them later this week) have numbers higher than 05748451?

Side note: the ANACS-graded EU69 coin with missing edge lettering sold for $11,759 on Great Collections last night. Do more of those exist?

Jim >>

I would bet several more exist. How many is the only question.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one mentioned that one of the "perfect" PCGS coins also sold at GC yesterday for $3,500 hammer (pop 1 non-First Strike example). I was planning to bid on the coin but (as I interpreted it) Ian politely suggested to me that the coin would not be to my liking so I passed. If anyone checks out the scans, the shoulder/arm on the obverse appears to have some real issues. I am guessing the coin did not go through bulk where thousands have been seen. I have a number of nicer coins I believe in MS69 holders that failed to grade MS70. So, I am not sure that price will be indicative of a truly "perfect" MS70 specimen that gets offered down the road and could potentially sell for more.

As always, just my two cents.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The last two digits look fine to me. The "2" (third digit from right) appears to be low. >>

Exactly what I was going to post... >>

Just for the record, I have no connection with that ebay item. I can see how the "2" appears low, if you line up the top of the digits with your screen, the last two digits are Higher.

I did a quick look at some of mine and found a similar example -- last 2 digits higher (or taller?). I can send a photo to anyone for confirmation -- I didn't have time tonight to upload to a URL site. Regardless, if valid, is there any additional value?

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    ...and YES, 11G's is way too much for that smoothie -- something that may not prove to be unique at all.

So Wondercoin - still no 70's?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

<< <i>is there any additional value? >>

I am not familiar with bill variances and this could be a common occurrence on ANY bill. I will defer to the banknote qualified....
  • Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    TwoSides2aCoin, it was a GREAT deal for me.

I appreciate it. Glad I could help you, too. You are correct- the Golden Rule is still in force.

Most of the folks I've met on this forum have been great people.

• Options
    EthanEthan Posts: 315 ✭✭
    Got my 5 in...and yes the notes were sequential..so far this is the highest note I have seen but that will not last I am sure.

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

“I want you to remember that no * ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb * die for his country”
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 12-13-14 order for (5) sets moved from backorder to processing overnight image

USM028xxxxxx $74.70 12/13/2014 This order contains 1 item. PROCESSING

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not a currency enthusiast, but this listing has something new for the Sac sets --

Stuck Digit C&C Note

The last two digits are taller than others.

After a quick look, it appears these have some attraction by collectors. Does two stuck digits make for anything worthy? >>

I don't think these are far enough out of line to warrant an error. The ones Ive seen graded as misaligned digit are pretty substantial compared to this one.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    USMint.gov has "Remind Me' button for the sets. Might be some more to offload, sets people cancelled after assuming they weren't going to ship?
  • Options
    That "remind me" button has worked SO well with this set...image
  • Options
    My 5 sets ordered 12-13-14 just shipped today image

GrandAm image
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It's great that these previous shipments are now moving, BUT they are driving prices down now with the new lower offers on ebay! $50 was becoming the new base price.

Yeah, no dis' to this poster pls, but just letting the newbs know they can do better... >>

It doesn't seem that the recently shipped orders are of sufficient quantity to force a decrease in price. I haven't seen anyone mention that their order of 100 sets from 12/4 just shipped...mostly 2-5 sets each.....and most of these orders haven't been in the buyers hands long enough to generate completed sales.

Just an ebb and flow of the market....$47, 45, 41 last few sold....probably hang in the $43-45 range for a while >>

I think it's becuse the limit was set after that for 5 set's PHH.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Just received my submission grades for 10 unopened sets I sent in first week of Feb. There are 10-MS69 (3 B-position and 7-A position). No 70's.
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, I never watch things like HSN and the other shopping channels, but I just happened to be flipping stations, and lo and behold, HSN is selling an ANACS EU-69 2014 Sacabuc plus the $1 FRN for $149. <gasp>

With a straight face, I might add. AND THEY SOLD OUT.

I swear I'm in the wrong business...
  • Options
    EthanEthan Posts: 315 ✭✭

<< <i>With a straight face, I might add. AND THEY SOLD OUT.

I swear I'm in the wrong business... >>

No Kidding...wow
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

“I want you to remember that no * ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb * die for his country”
  • Options
    Maybe that explains the sudden surge of sales on eBay. Just had a crazy run of sales...prices moving up!
  • Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭

<< <i>I haven't seen anything recently regarding the range of serial numbers on the $1 FRN's, so here goes...

Jim >>

(sold on EBay) - The lowest #'s I had were:

J 0569 6035 A
    J 0569 6036 A
    J 0569 6037 A
    J 0569 6038 A
    J 0569 6039 A

J 0574 8451 A is certainly 52,417 units higher than my lowest number!

Nothing in any of the US Mint advertising stated that they had used sequentially Numbered $1 notes, but it is obvious from all of the reported opened units that they did!

Reported Units were in the 0569 6000 to 0574 4000 range.

One possibility is that your late arriving units were Mint-returns with the originally packaged $1 notes swapped out (by the previous owner).

To repackage, the Mint then re-swapped out the 'duds' from a 'stand-by' batch of sequentially numbered $1 Notes by the US B&E ?

IMHO, it makes sense to me as the enhanced Coin was the 'star' of the show.
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had some early orders, and my notes were mostly sequential, but not entirely.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    Nice one coinboy
  • Options
    + trying to get this page to turn over so we can read it!
  • Options
    +
  • Options
    Say the magic word: Wondercoin
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>+ trying to get this page to turn over so we can read it! >>

When that happens, just overtype the page # at the end of the URL with next number up and it will bring you to next page til it turns which is a common issue with multiple page threads and is based on your settings for how many posts you are viewing per page.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much new on this end guys. Made a few 70's here and there, but not on one of these yet!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Current pops show 4 total 70's in FS, not sure if any in non-FS
  • Options
    I misread that Wondercoin and got excited for you.
  • Options
    LMMLMM Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Well my order from 12/14/14 for these just got filled and shipped today! It will be interesting to see if they are all rejectsimage
  • Options
    Just got these back today image

My scans aren't very good but you get the idea,,,,,

GrandAm image
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

How about this blast from the past !

This was a bona fide US Mint gift.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gift that keeps on giving. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    It's been a while and just curious about the graded pops for these. Lots of 70s now? How have the prices on graded and/or raw sets held up?
  • Options

<< <i>It's been a while and just curious about the graded pops for these. Lots of 70s now? How have the prices on graded and/or raw sets held up? >>

There are still only 3 Variety Native American Enhanced Coin & Currency Set-Position A 1st Strike

PCGS pop reports must be wrong because they don't reflect the real numbers.
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    Jessewvu, 3 variety coins? As in missing edge lettering? I was curious about the plain 'ol, normal coins. Have you got the pops for those? How have the prices, graded or raw, been? Thanks.
  • Options
    They are listed as "variety" on the pop report. I'm assuming they are regular strikes without any error?!? There are 3 ms70 pos A first strike. There was only 1 pos B a few months ago. Where are these listed in the pop report?
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Looks like an Enhanced Native......

Couldn't get the link to work....

Item # 391205830191

PCGS Coin Information
    PCGS #
    Date, mintmark
    2014-D
    Denomination
    $1
    Variety
    Native American Position A
    Country
    The United States of America
    Grade
    MS69
    Holder Type
    Standard
    Population
    PCGS Price GuideSM Value:
    $650
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like an Enhanced Native......

Couldn't get the link to work....

Item # 391205830191

PCGS Coin Information
    PCGS #
    Date, mintmark
    2014-D
    Denomination
    $1
    Variety
    Native American Position A
    Country
    The United States of America
    Grade
    MS69
    Holder Type
    Standard
    Population
    PCGS Price GuideSM Value:
    $650 >>

The above coin is without a doubt, a mechanical error and I've yet to figure out or understand how this stuff occurs.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The above coin is without a doubt, a mechanical error and I've yet to figure out or understand how this stuff occurs. >>

I agree.... Pop is 3.... Wonder about the other 2 coins....

Next Cert. # up is an MS69 as well #32498546
  • Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭
    I had initially ordered and received 2 of these sets when they were first released. After reading of the special finish on the dollar here on the message board, I belatedly ordered the other 3 of my household limit after they had gone 'unavailable." This order sat for months in my account until Wednesday when I received a phone message from the Mint on my answering machine stating if I was still interested in receiving the sets, to call them. I checked current Ebay selling prices and found the 3X premium still holding, so I called the Mint and found to the surprise of the operator handling the Mint phone that this set had a very limited amount still available. I confirmed that I still wished to order the sets. The operator says I should have them in hand in 1 to 2 weeks. Better late than never. HM
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    8 months later! Thats wild.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file