Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2014 American $1 Coin and Currency Set (TA9)

Comments

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I highly doubt that HSN's anacs promotion has sparked the market and with the exception of the one on top prices seem 50% less.

LINK to 69 Sales >>

I am sure everyone notices the lack of PCGS graded coins right? The very SLOW PCGS turnaround times have led to NGC cornering the market at this point. I have coins that have been sitting at PCGS since 12/1. It's a real shame how slow PCGS is these days. It has cost many Dealers a lot of money and here is a perfect example. The NGC modern material always hits the market hard and fast to the detriment of PCGS submittors.
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am sure everyone notices the lack of PCGS graded coins right? The very SLOW PCGS turnaround times have led to NGC cornering the market at this point. I have coins that have been sitting at PCGS since 12/1. It's a real shame how slow PCGS is these days. It has cost many Dealers a lot of money and here is a perfect example. The NGC modern material always hits the market hard and fast to the detriment of PCGS submittors. >>

They are admiring your MS70, hopefully they part with it soon and get it too you....
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I am sure everyone notices the lack of PCGS graded coins right? The very SLOW PCGS turnaround times have led to NGC cornering the market at this point. I have coins that have been sitting at PCGS since 12/1. It's a real shame how slow PCGS is these days. It has cost many Dealers a lot of money and here is a perfect example. The NGC modern material always hits the market hard and fast to the detriment of PCGS submittors. >>

They are admiring your MS70, hopefully they part with it soon and get it too you.... >>

image Thanks Mas! You made my day! I know you must have a few gathering dust also!!
  • Options

<< <i> Thanks Mas! You made my day! I know you must have a few gathering dust also!! >>

Several...................................

Happy New Year !!
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    How about a comparison to another 50k mintage special finish coin in a
    coin and currency set that still sells for 20 bucks --- 20 years later

Don't expect too much out of this one
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it seems someone has made a PCGS MS70 of this coin in both Positions A & B,,, who is the lucky submitter?

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How about a comparison to another 50k mintage special finish coin in a

Don't expect too much out of this one >>

1994-P matte nickel? Final mintage was actually 167,703. The 1997-P matte nickel fared better, with a mintage of 25,000 and a current price of about $120.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    These are gone on the HSN website. Look at how the raws are picking up speed. 6 in the last hour at 49.50 raw. Look at the sold history and how many flew in the past 5 hours BIN! $50 sounds like a nice round # could this be HSN buying these on ebay?
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HSN probably has them made already

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see mid 30s for prices.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nor should we expect anything but bullion prices for the Kennedy gold coins, LOL...

I find it amusing how you compare that dog of a coin with the UHR yet constantly criticize this issue, which % wise has already beaten the Kennedy issue hands down.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy new year.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    This coin has no real demand....I call it how it is.
    Percentage wise the coin did well, but you have to have huge quantities
    It's a sub 50 set, probably settle to sub 35 dollars in the not so distant
    future.
    In and out of this one.
    Go ahead and poke at my comments, I don't mind, how seriously can
    you take comments from a baseball card collector anyway
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Just tell it like it is in 6 months and it'll make more sense.
  • Options
    On this set I am wondering could raw sets over take ngc 69's (In price) at any point in time? No doubt that raw sets are slowly increasing in value, while the 69's are slowly coming down.
  • Options
    In and out
    The only way to treat this kind of issue
    No collector demand, just flippers with hoards all looking
    to dispose of on eBay

• Options

<< <i>In and out
    The only way to treat this kind of issue
    No collector demand, just flippers with hoards all looking
    to dispose of on eBay >>

Then who bought the 798 HSN had yesterday for $129 anacs that are all gone?
    Has to be demand
    When they still have every other piece of crap the mint came out with this year from HOF to every Kennedy piece.
  • Options
    Fools. And 798 sold doesn't spell real demand.
    If this 50,000 issue coin had the magnitude of silver eagle collectors behind
    It---it would be big
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I bet somebody here got a D- in marketing...just saying...image
  • Options
    badhop55badhop55 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    I decided to look at the 2014 set relative to the 2000 Millennium set. Different apples but still apples.

The 2000 set has a Sac dollar, a silver eagle minted at West point but without mint mark and a $1 note with 2000 in the serial number. The mintage was 75,000. Also, there is a similar history regarding the Sac dollar and the mint not knowing what they had at the start:

"The set was limited to 75,000 units and sold out at the Mint after it was determined that the Sacagawea Dollar had a special “burnished finish”."

I looked at recent sales and the 2000 sets are going for around $90-$100. 2000 ASE's are going for say $40. Take the ASE out of the equation and say the 2000 goes for $60. Now factor in that there are 25,000 fewer 2014 sets and is it much of a stretch to see the 2014's going for $60+ in a few years?

Let's say they settle in at $60. Minus $13.95 would leave a potential gross profit of about $46/set which works out to 330% of original investment. I don't see how that is a bad thing. If you had 40 sets to work with that would produce about $1800 in profits before expenses. Bummer.

Just spit ballin'.
  • Options
    I think this is like the Satin Jefferson Nickel one year it is $50 to $65 and the other it's $150 to $200 and why is this the mint sold more by not putting a limit on the mintage on the 1st one then on the 2nd one they did look it up it's in the red book, if they come out with one this year do you think it will be 50k no i dont think so, It will be 100k with a HHL of 5 so i'm sitting on all of them till then. If the price go's down so be it I don't think it will ever go lower then the price of issue. Thats just me Type2 thinking. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

<< <i>I bet somebody here got a D- in marketing...just saying...image >>

I'd say selling almost 2% of a 50K issue on a micro-demographic cable TV channel in 20 minutes at almost 10X over the issue price would get an "A" for the Class?
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I bet somebody here got a D- in marketing...just saying...image >>

I'd say selling almost 2% of a 50K issue on a micro-demographic cable TV channel in 20 minutes at almost 10X over the issue price would get an "A" for the Class? >>

You beat me to that 2% response image
  • Options
    If you think televised programming hitting millions of households that sells
    798 units is going to keep this afloat---better get back on the meds.
    The rate of return you will get on this getting in and out raw quickly will
    Exceed the buy, grade and hold mentality
    BTW--we all know marketing majors are the ones who couldn't cut it
    In Acctg or Finance anyway
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I looked at recent sales and the 2000 sets are going for around $90-$100. 2000 ASE's are going for say $40. Take the ASE out of the equation and say the 2000 goes for $60. Now factor in that there are 25,000 fewer 2014 sets and is it much of a stretch to see the 2014's going for $60+ in a few years? >>

There's an "original set" premium for the 2000 millennium sets that is not reflected in its components. The 2000-D burnished Sacs in TPG holders are fetching only $20 to $35 each except in high grades.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Raws are in the 40's today. I am not talking about graded >>

Seen quite a few opened and uncertified sets selling on eBay today for over $40 per set. Doesn't seem to be much premium at all for the sets sealed in boxes, though not too many of them seem to be listed anyways, most of what is listed and selling seems to be open boxes (and potentially picked over sets).

Still lots of these in the mail to buyers from the US Mint, so we'll see where the prices go, but for right now they seem to be headed slightly up... mine are arriving early next week and by the time I decide to sell they'll surely be down a bit image

• Options
    Well 1st strike is off the table for all the open stuff. Dec 31 cut off. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitch was nice enough to send me Two PCGS 69's A & B for $190 shipped. I would imagine he was trying for a 70 as these coins are VERY clean.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks SCBM

Yes, they were screened very carefully for min. grade MS69 or better. Every single coin in the batch graded MS69 - there wasn't a single coin that was not MS69 quality.

I hope the coins turn into a great bargain at $95 per for PCGS-MS69FS quality and every board member I sold them to makes a great return on the coins!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
  • Options
    badhop55badhop55 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    7 of the last 10 completed sales I see have closed at $40+. An 8th sale closed at $39.88 so I didn't count it. Nice trend.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These sets are doing great on ebay right now. Looks like a winner so far.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May pick one up when the excitement dies down. They're probably all cherry picked by now.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mitch was nice enough to send me Two PCGS 69's A & B for $190 shipped. I would imagine he was trying for a 70 as these coins are VERY clean. >>

I purchased one from Mitch as well. Thanks Mitch! Great looking coin. Good luck w/getting a 70 :-)
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somebody got a 70
  • Options
    You are welcome Raufus.

I probably won't stop until I grade a 70 or two now that I see it is possible.

Just one of very many challenges for 2015!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    double post
  • Options
    You are welcome Raufus.

I probably won't stop until I grade a 70 or two now that I see it is possible.

Just one of very many challenges for 2015!

Wondercoin
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are you buying them at? I have 35 I am trying to decide what to do with
  • Options

<< <i>What are you buying them at? I have 35 I am trying to decide what to do with >>

jwitten, welcome to the Board!
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, is there any news on this coin being included in The Registry Sets?

Just wondering, GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I have 2 orders of 5 each still listed as on backorder from Dec 4 - any hope for these?

Also have 2 sealed boxes of 10 each, FS eligible, is there a market for these?

I do have 12 unsealed sets. Had to open them to take a look, I really like the look of these. They
    are far cooler than any of the Kennedy coins.
  • Options

<< <i>I have 2 orders of 5 each still listed as on backorder from Dec 4 - any hope for these?

Also have 2 sealed boxes of 10 each, FS eligible, is there a market for these?

I do have 12 unsealed sets. Had to open them to take a look, I really like the look of these. They
    are far cooler than any of the Kennedy coins. >>

I think they are getting $40+ on the bay for open set's and $125+ on PCGS SP-69 holders.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have 2 orders of 5 each still listed as on backorder from Dec 4 - any hope for these? >>

I have one 12/4 order still on backorder. Yes... Hope is they didn't/don't go to those who ordered days later!
  • Options
    Someone a few pages back said you can take the coin out of packaging without damaging it. How did you do that? image
  • Options
    One side of the capsule opens and the coin will fall out.

Like this.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS MS70 on eBay listed at $150k or best offer... might need to send mine in for grading after all image

If it were a pop 1 coin... maybe that wouldn't as silly to list such a high price... but it's currently a pop 2 (with likely more to come) image

Link to eBay
  • Options
    What do you guy's think it will sell for or shuld it sell for? image

I'm thinking $5K to $10K.

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file