Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2014 American $1 Coin and Currency Set (TA9)

Comments

• Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭

<< <i>Not a lot of collectors for these.

The suckers on ebay are getting burned. These will die fast.

The fuss on here about paid line standers and now there are those here trying to corner the market on these?

Well, sequential $1 FRNs are not special. If the suckers can be tricked into buying these thinking the hoardes mean rarity then you have a market, but it's a fools market and the buyers are being taken and suckered. >>

Jeez, Mr. Negative!

Don't worry, we have seasoned professionals on the Board who are artfully skilled at making tons of money reacting to the escapades of the US Mint.

Watch and Learn!
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see the money being made

This is why the post above is worded the way it is.

Artificial rarities can be sold quite well. Once the smoke clears, the damage remains.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    15 sets received a short time ago....coins look fine but most have some rim dings,,

Serial#'s go from xxx99118 to xxx01700

3 sets did not have the sleeves on them..... image
  • Options

<< <i>15 sets received a short time ago....coins look fine but most have some rim dings,,

3 sets did not have the sleeves on them..... image >>

You mean xxx99118 to xxx01700 is your Mint Order Serial #'s ?
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options

<< <i>I see the money being made
    Artificial rarities can be sold quite well. Once the smoke clears, the damage remains. >>

A buyer and seller make a deal, the buyer seeks out an enhanced coin from the Mint, not there he goes to EBay.

The Buyer using EBay can return the unit to Seller for a full refund if not satisfied.

That's life, Get over it
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>15 sets received a short time ago....coins look fine but most have some rim dings,,

You mean xxx99118 to xxx01700 is your Mint Order Serial #'s ? >>

NO the $1 bill serial #'s
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I see the money being made
    Artificial rarities can be sold quite well. Once the smoke clears, the damage remains. >>

A buyer and seller make a deal, the buyer seeks out an enhanced coin from the Mint, not there he goes to EBay.

The Buyer using EBay can return the unit to Seller for a full refund if not satisfied.

That's life, Get over it >>

...and he has 6 months to see if it goes anywhere...that alone is pretty lame and scary
  • Options
    So you are not posting the FR Serial Numbers?

LOL! For Security reasons?

• Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

The fuss on here about paid line standers and now there are those here trying to corner the market on these?

Well, sequential $1 FRNs are not special. If the suckers can be tricked into buying these thinking the hoardes mean rarity then you have a market, but it's a fools market and the buyers are being taken and suckered. >>

Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the communist party?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You mean xxx99118 to xxx01700 is your Mint Order Serial #'s ? >>

NO the $1 bill serial #'s >>

More evidence the FRNs were not a special run.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>So you are not posting the FR Serial Numbers?

LOL! For Security reasons?

image >>

I thought a range would suffice and I didn't see the value in typing 15 sets of numbers.....I only commented because of the previous thought that they started with 00001 and went to 50000.

They don't....

For you.....my lowest number is J05699118A and the highest is J05701700A...the rest fall in between

• Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Had some coins delivered to PCGS this morning...
    It will all start happening soon......
  • Options
    Screened another 100 sets this morning....
    Approx. 30 sets would grade MS65 or lower
  • Options
    The mint should give all numismatic products the same respect proof gold gets. This includes medals.

• Options
    What did you do with the bill? Use them to pay for the shipping? image
  • Options
    Update from ATS:

<< <i>The Enhanced Finish 2014-D Sacagawea $1 from the Coin and Currency Set is eligible for the NGC Early Releases or NGC First Releases designations. >>

• Options

<< <i>What did you do with the bill? Use them to pay for the shipping? >>

Starbucks tips..... image
  • Options
    Maybe I am missing something but in reading the NGC update email they yap about getting the bill graded with a C & C pedigree...ummm why?

The problem with putting a distinct coin in a set is that now the sets will mostly be trashed just to get the coin graded....and the bill...formally part of a nice set...gets cast into the tip bin at Starbucks... image
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The problem with putting a distinct coin in a set is that now the sets will mostly be trashed just to get the coin graded....and the bill...formally part of a nice set...gets cast into the tip bin at Starbucks... image >>

Making intact sets worth more.

The 2000 Millennium C&C Sets are fetching $90 and up. Mintage was 75,000. Mintage of the 2014 set is 50,000.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The problem with putting a distinct coin in a set is that now the sets will mostly be trashed just to get the coin graded....and the bill...formally part of a nice set...gets cast into the tip bin at Starbucks... image >>

Making intact sets worth more.

The 2000 Millennium C&C Sets are fetching $90 and up. Mintage was 75,000. Mintage of the 2014 set is 50,000. >>

Yes, but my "intact sets" will be the ones with crap coins not worth grading...I guess that will work
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the insightful comment. image

I will use the same logic to flog the dead Gold Kennedy Horse a few more times. Are there really 50,000+++
    people out there that want one of those?

• Options

<< <i>

Thank you for the insightful comment. image

I will use the same logic to flog the dead Gold Kennedy Horse a few more times. Are there really 50,000+++
    people out there that want one of those?

image >>

Actually, yes. Sales are well over 67,000 now and they sold more than 60,000 with a household limit.

They should cross 68,000 next week barring a holiday lull.

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Pure Junk

News Flash - these are not sold out....and they will be available once again very soon image
  • Options
    spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    NGC says the mint has sold out of these sets.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> these are not sold out....and they will be available once again very soon >>

Not current news....some of us indicated that several days ago.

I'm sure we can "put a fork in it."image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> these are not sold out....and they will be available once again very soon >>

Not current news....some of us indicated that several days ago.

I'm sure we can "put a fork in it."image >>

+1

It's OK though, he was out in a field waiting for the 'Great Pumpkin' and missed the announcement.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Win or lose i'll gamble some $$$, Better then some bet's in vegas.... image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Like I said before - not sold out. Just initial allotment depleted. They will be available again shortly.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They look cool i wonder if we can get full peace pip. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    If sales are reopened, the sets will likely be "available" for an hour or less, unless household limits are imposed.

Too many eyes watching this one, along with known mintage limit of 50,000.

• Options
    IMO, the US Mint probably blew thru 20,000-25,000 pre-packaged and ready to go sets. With 50,000 of these available, a 40% first run seems realistic.

This means we will probably see sales re-open with another 25,000-30,000 available.

Out of Stock does not mean Sold Out.

At roughly $35 bucks a set on ebay, the next release will destroy any potential flip, and within days the flippers of the first sets will destroy the price appreciation with "a race to the bottom" in prices to sell any sets they have in stock.

A process that gets repeated again and again.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So, what if they don't have any more enhanced versions Sac's and substitute the regular issue coin but only produce say 5,000 sets, which would be the better set to own? >>

Years ago, I would never give that a thought, however this is today.

Good point made, very plausible! >>

I disagree. The packaging and the listing stipulates an enhanced unc. To put a business strike in its place at this time would be false labeling and the Mint would get some very negative attention from us and very likely Congressionales who can roll some fedheads.

The Millenium C&C never advertised a special strike. That was a bonus. I never heard of any of these sets having a business strike (I bought quite a few), but if they did, the set would still be legit. No comparison.

The Mint made a very conscientious decision to include a special coin in this set. To think they didn't expect strong demand is naive. Unless there was a massive buy-out on Monday, these will be back online soon.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    7/8 I agree with you in part that more are coming.

However, I don't agree they will be dogs in any way. They may not flip for 300% immediately, and yes there will be some downward price pressure until the real sellout (maybe a week?), but then they will rebound. It is still a low mintage semi-key to the series.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

<< <i>They may not flip for 300% immediately >>

More are coming. You can probably bet the next group will have HH limits, or, we may find out more about the "Mintage Unlimited" vs "Product Limit", meaning they can mint a lot more than 50,000 coins.

If there are only 50,000 pieces, they key to big returns is grading. 69/70 coins will make you the money. Raws will have downward pressure.

It wouldn't be a stretch to say that there are far less than 50,000 Sac set collectors. Given this thin market, flip at your own risk. Prices will collapse, just make sure you have a seat when the music stops.

• Options
    You may be correct -- BUT there are over 319 million folks here in the great USA and of those there are 1.5 million native Americans (2010 Census). To think 50k historically-popular and ethnically-relevant coins can't find a home is not a stretch.

The Lewis and Clark expedition is a VERY important part of our country's legacy and has sex appeal. I still maintain this is a boost for the series and good for the hobby.
  • Options
    I still can't believe they didn't use a $2 FRN from St. Louis Fed

A special run on them would have brought these to moon money prices.

• Options

<< <i>To think 50k historically-popular and ethnically-relevant coins can't find a home is not a stretch. >>

It is a stretch. A big stretch.

When is the last time you saw a "Native American" coin collector at your local show?

Never.

Yup. I thought so.
  • Options
    I too have pondered the meaning of the "Limited Product Limit" vs the "Unlimited Mintage Limit" as 7/8 pointed out.

This does leave the door open to more being produced, but I really cannot fathom more will be struck beyond this set in the eleventh hour of the year (REALLY?). To do so would be another Mint faux pas that would cost credibility.
  • Options

<< <i>but I really cannot fathom more will be struck beyond this set in the eleventh hour of the year (REALLY?). >>

The real question is - have they struck more than 50,000 already - in anticipation of offering in another product? Most likely not, but with the US Mint and their thirst for offering multiple packaging options.....you never know.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>To think 50k historically-popular and ethnically-relevant coins can't find a home is not a stretch. >>

When is the last time you saw a "Native American" coin collector at your local show?

Never.

Yup. I thought so. >>

Don't have too many big coin shows here in the great state of Alaska, but I have sold some expensive coins to Alaskan natives here at other venues. There are many more venues than shows to collect coins. To assume no native Americans collect coins is a bit ... arrogant and presumptuous.
  • Options
    cost credibility?

In this case I hope they mint the crap out of them so everyone has one. I'd rather not have credibility in minting for market cornering flipping purposes than caring about the collecting public's and broader public interests.

They certainly could up the mintage on these. I hope they do.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Never.

Yup. I thought so. >>

Don't have too many big coin shows here in the great state of Alaska, but I have sold some expensive coins to Alaskan natives here at other venues. There are many more venues than shows to collect coins. To assume no native Americans collect coins is a bit ... arrogant and presumptuous. >>

agree.

• Options

<< <i>To assume no native Americans collect coins is a bit ... arrogant and presumptuous.

<< <i>

I'm not assuming - and in no way arrogant, my opinion is based on attending coins shows on both coasts for more than 40 years.

If there were more collectors from diverse backgrounds and ethnicities, there would be more demand for certain issues.

• Options
    I've never been to a coin show. Honestly. Collector for over 40 years.

Do I not count?

Can anyone say a certain ethnic group don't collect just because they don't attend big coin shows? I would venture to say that many, many coin collectors do so without gracing an (intimidating for some) bourse floor.

Still optimistic about this set (on topic).
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It is a stretch. A big stretch.

Never.

Yup. I thought so. >>

You have to be kidding, right? What, because you didn't see someone in war paint and a headdress you don't think there weren't any Native American there? Your statement is one of the goofiest comments I have seen in a long time.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How are those Kennedy gold coins doing?? You know, the next UHR issue?? Have PCGS FS 70s dipped below issue price yet? image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It is a stretch. A big stretch.

Never.

Yup. I thought so. >>

You have to be kidding, right? What, because you didn't see someone in war paint and a headdress you don't think there weren't any Native American there? Your statement is one of the goofiest comments I have seen in a long time. >>

+1

The word ludicrous comes to mind, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never realized how good it was at the end of the day to have a coin shop.
    And , at the end of a hard days' work, I finally realized why I came here (to the boards) to roost. image

It's the entertainment. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. This is a long thread for a couple of bucks. But being a "modern" guy, threads like this entice and excite and keep the numismatic brethren well fed through the holidays and beyond. And it stokes my "inner child's fire".

So as much as I push buttons and envelopes, I hold the same "flame" for OUR coinage, as I did for the ones before us. Have a great day, all.
  • Options
    The 2012-S proof Native American dollar has a mintage of 1,189,445 and sells for $15 to $20 on eBay, more than the issue price of this set.

Undoubtedly more than 50,000 of the 2012-S proof sets have been broken up for singles.

So yes, there is demand for more than 50,000 of each Native American dollar. This demand is divided up among collectors, speculators, investors and hoarders. It is not necessary for there to be 50,000 collectors each desiring one coin for this set to be a winner.

I doubt that the price will be driven back to $20 or less in the next round of shipments. If that happens, I'll be buying more.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Things I have learned (from this thread, from posts, and over time):

* The mint STATES the NA bucks will be ENHANCED uncirculated. Ie....no, they cannot make more sets without the EU...
    * They STATE there is a mintage cap! Ie....no, they cannot make more sets. Well, I am sure they could, but it would cause issues they would have to answer for, erode more trust in them, etc etc etc. Also, they are likely using resources to gear up for 2015 items.
    * Some items are good for flips for awhile, some only for a short time. I have scored on them (as have others) and I have missed on them (as have others). At the end of the day....so what? No need to talk an item UP nor to talk an item DOWN. Yes, it will happen here and on other boards. This board seems VERY influential in moving flips quickly and strongly. Others take this info and use it but I haven't really seen other boards come up with the items on their own. Again, no need to try to bash people down.
    * Some people get out of hand. They buy A TON of an item. They go to make the kill and then drive prices down quickly when they still have product, which kills it for the little flippers, or those that come in late. Sucks. Happens though. Pre-sales flippers really suck. I do wish ebay would do away with them, but, it isn't my rule that rules, so they can, and do, do it.
    * May be a unique item, may not....we saw similar with the reverse proofs...they WERE unique back when they came out...SUCCESS! So, the mint did it again, and again, and tries to find out what works and then milks it. Could be more EUs coming.
    * Yes, similar enough to the Millennium Sets, but, realize that those did have SAEs. Real 1oz silver pieces. It was also a "cool" set (year 2000, millennium, etc). I do, also, personally think there are more SAEs than NA$ collectors. Also, the FRNs in the Mill set started with 2000 to celebrate the year....these have no play with anything other than maybe some consecutive numbering (that we know so far).
    * The mint may, or may not, have SOLD OUT or be waiting for more to be minted/printed. Don't know. No one knows. It's speculation (this board LOVES speculation to an extreme).
    * Prices could go up, stagnate, then go up (or down) for any period of time. The 2006 SAE sets went up, stagnated a little, then took off for a bit...then settled back down. Other flips have taken off and immediately hit the skids. No one should ever make purchases they can't afford to have go bust on them on any of these items.
    * At some point, some people who don't participate in discussions, other than just flips, will chime in with question after question, to make sure they get all they can, and then we will see them with outrageous amounts on ebay and the BST here....and they will usually be the ones with a lot of product, hitting the money quick, and then dumping and killing the prices almost as quick too. They really add nothing significant to the board or discussions but they will get all the info they can and screw everyone they can.

And, to wrap up for the moment, just to reiterate......there really is no reason to pump anything up or try to stomp it down. If someone wants it, let 'em get it. If they don't, and you didn't think it is a great idea anyway, just smile and leave it at that.

PS....I bought 10 to see how they do, but I don't sell on ebay much anymore, so we shall see. If they are selling for ~$100ea, I will sell mine and put the money into my son's college fund. If they don't even last long at issue price, and actually go down, oh well.....he skips 2-3 meals when he finally goes to college. image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file