Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2014 American $1 Coin and Currency Set (TA9)

Comments

• Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there anyone here that can do bulk submissions on the FRNs?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    I sent 4 coins in to PCGS out of 10

one of the remaining 6 was exceptionally marked across the face.

these seem to have fewer marks on them than the usual mint set coins, but they can still come with good sized hits as mentioned. I'd shoot a photo with the new camera but I've some odds and ends to do tonight plus I'm still fixing dinner and eating.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Upon close inspection (5+ magn) of my box of 10, all the coins seem to have at least one fine hairline blem on Sac's face, but no major hits. I'm guessing they may still go ms68-69?

Has anyone looked closely at graded specimens to compare?

The currency isn't quite consectutive. Just missed having a ...6969 -- I hear those are (get) lucky in some circles.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    How long was the ordering window open today? An hour? Two hours?
  • Options
    My order was at 245pm Eastern.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    oh, and I cleaned off some dust specks on the coins that were inside the capsules.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I guess signing up with my email on the product page several days ago didn't do anything regarding notice of availability as it appears they were taking orders today... didn't receive any notice of that from the Mint of course... oh well, haha!

• Options
  • Options

<< <i>How long was the ordering window open today? An hour? Two hours? >>

about 4 and a half hours gauging from the posts on this thread.

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    Just for fun, I have a few already, I actually put one in my cart earlier today..never tried to check out, it was still in my cart this evening, but when I tried to check out this evening, it said Sorry, this product is no longer available. Sounds done, but who knows?
  • Options
    my FRNs were ok.

non-sequential, which I obviously don't care about.

no big smears, but some bleeding lines exist. most were slightly off center. there were some with plate impressions on the opposite sides.

I couldn't grade them. CU?

as mentioned, no images tonight.

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I ordered around 11:45 AM EST
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ordered at 12:45 PM
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    It's amazing that some believe that after only 14,000 are sold , out of a maximum product release
    Of 50,000----somehow, the US mint would cease selling the product.
    It's Dec 3rd, not the 31st boys and girls.
    There will be LOTS more coming
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received the Mint's Holiday guide in the mail today and saw the sets listed there. I gave them a call this evening and they told me the sets are out of stock and that all 50,000 have been sold and they would not be available again. Of course, no way to know for certain if that customer service rep actually had the correct information, but that's what I was told.

• Options
    The're done. 7over8 has just been dippin into the Christmas cheer a bit early.
  • Options
    They ain't done my friend
    Not even close
  • Options
    OOS & people said "no more"
    14k sold & people said "no more"

Then there was about 4.5 hours of sales

Now it says OOS

People are back to saying "no more"

It doesn't say "sold out"

• Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭

<< <i>They ain't done my friend Not even close >>

Oh, Yes they are!

THEY ARE DONE, SOLD OUT, FINA, ADIOS, simply a HOMERUN! image

Sorry you missed them 7/8!
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    Not done

Not even close

What are they doing on ebay?

• Options

<< <i>I received the Mint's Holiday guide in the mail today and saw the sets listed there. I gave them a call this evening and they told me the sets are out of stock and that all 50,000 have been sold and they would not be available again. Of course, no way to know for certain if that customer service rep actually had the correct information, but that's what I was told. >>

I have an issue with these so-called Mint reps making assumptions on sales status. Either they know -- or not. If not, the correct response is "I don't know". The only way this will happen if complaints are filed. Keep track of who you talk to and rat them out if their info is false.

It seems highly unlikely that 50k have been sold according to the Mint's own stats.
  • Options

<< <i>Opened up mine today. One of them had the dollar offset to one side to a large degree. About 20% of it was covered by the paper part of the frame. I tried to free it back into
    the window but it wouldn't budge. I tried several different methods & finally got angry and just opened it up. Turns out it was glued to the paper frame and I could not release it
    without it tearing. So I tore it out, taped it up & put it in my wallet. The coin was pretty clean so maybe I'll sent it in for plastic. >>

Where are the glue points on the clear plastic FRN holder?

Will it be easy to remove the $1 FRN by pulling the thing apart or will it be easier just to cut the plastic pane open?

• Options
    Ms, I discovered tonight that the coins are in a tight capsule independent of the album. Put a little pressure on the reverse of the coin and they pop out fully contained. A pleasant discovery.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are too many variables in play to be sure of anything.

1. How many orders were taken today in 4.5 hours?

2. Was there a maximum number of coins that could be ordered at one time?

3. Did anyone receive a notification that orders were being accepted again?

4. Was another batch of coins struck, along with another batch of packaging?

5. If more coins were struck, how many? It could be 35,000 or it could be fewer.

Until we see daylight on some of these questions, it's all a guessing game.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>Ms, I discovered tonight that the coins are in a tight capsule independent of the album. Put a little pressure on the reverse of the coin and they pop out fully contained. A pleasant discovery. >>

I found I could pry the lid off the capsules

The FRN removal by PCGS currency is another story

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the mint reads every time someone posts to this thread, and makes more, but then we buy them all?

I got my 5 sets Monday and today it showed a status of Back Ordered.
    At 11 AM PST I tried to order 20, then 10 but it wouldn't let me. But when I ordered 5, it went through with an estimated ship date of 12/8 and those are on back order status now

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine shall be here tomorrow.

I really hate that the mint now uses FedEx "smartpost"....should be "fedex SLOWpost" image

From them to me seems to always take 8-9 days once it has arrived at the fedex originating facility.

Really really REALLY starting to hate fedex smartpost.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    This thread is such great drama. Can't wait to see where it all ends.
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    I ordered at 2:30 PM
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>These Baby's are indeed, sold out >>

I dont think so.

You will be seeing these offered again. To the tune of another 15,000 initially, maybe even more. I suppose the USM has to determine how many more should be packaged for sale. >>

We both know you are not that stupid to believe the fantasy you just wrote up, we both know they are gone. image >>

Right.

So the US Mint announces a maximum of 50,000 sets, of which, 14,073 sell in a little over a week so these are just "gone"? >>

I think that if it were earlier in the year they would probably make more but what they probably did was make a guess as to how many they would sell and made them with no plans to go through the process of making more and getting more packaging. I do think they will gear up next year with a similar product and make a few more. >>

If the Mintage Limit is 50,000 then I see absolutely no reason why 50,000 won't be produced. It is, after all, a one off coin which should hold its value.

As for packaging, you can bet your paycheck that if they set a limit at 50,000 that they have contracts in place for 50,000 packages.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    It seems they are halting sales of large orders, so the possibility of some dealer ordering 10k will not happen when they reopen sales.

I think if the the mint states 50K they will mint them. They have a winner here and they know it, not to produce the other 35K would be a plunder on their part. Though in the scheme of things. 14 X 35K= $490,000, so not a huge plunder if they don't mint them. The packaging is somewhat labor intensive for mint employees unless the BEP has the dollars already in sleeves.

• Options
    Coinboy
    You should know me better than that by now. Except for USM collector spoons
    You know I buy everything they offer-and most in quantity.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If the Mintage Limit is 50,000 then I see absolutely no reason why 50,000 won't be produced. It is, after all, a one off coin which should hold its value. As for packaging, you can bet your paycheck that if they set a limit at 50,000 that they have contracts in place for 50,000 packages. >>

I knew my eyes were messin' up my brain: eyes: sold out....... brain: no freakin way

I will go with the brain....they will sell 50k

Really kinda lame that they are randomly releasing them though....just take the orders until they reach 50k and ship 'em whenever and THEN put "sold out" on the site. Quit being weenies and making it a game of chance
  • Options
    My separate five orders I made yesterday are in processing and no longer show backorder on my order page. Maybe recycling returns. Hopefully just sending out the last of the 15K run or the beginning of the 35K run.
  • Options
    I would think it not smart to return ANY of these sets since they can be sold for a small profit....and it would be a pretty quick turnaround time by the Mint for the sets to find another home. I vote they are from the remaining 35k
  • Options
    The mint said they were doing the whole 50,000 mintage. So, I guess thats that! I still bought a bunch. But, I think I am done.

They are minting the 50,000

In announcing the resumption of sales, U.S. Mint officials said Dec. 3 that the bureau plans to produce the maximum authorization of 50,000 sets.

“We did not anticipate such high demand, but are very pleased that so many of our customers are interested in the set because of the Native American $1 Coin,” Mint spokesman Michael White said Dec. 3 in announcing the resumption of sales.
  • Options
    Available for order now....just came back
  • Options
    Do these have a huge upside potential if they mint 50,000? Or, possibly go down in the future? I just would like to know opinions. I am normally a silver guy not regular currency!
  • Options
    I would not consider $13.95 to be in the "big money" range so order a few....what's the downside...and you get a buck back
  • Options
    I am done with these.

Be interesting to see how long til they are really sold out.

Still think it could be a good coin to own even at 50K mintage. It will be a semi key, after the goodarce at 5000 ($400), Cheerios at 5500, The changing reverse has made this coin collectible and "less boring" than a stagnant no change ASE too. JMHO.
  • Options

<< <i>Still think it could be a good coin to own even at 50K mintage. >>

I agree....if they had put a 200k mintage on these and stopped at 50k they would be selling for moon money.....well, they skipped the 200k part
  • Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    I just ordered five, no problem at all.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>They ain't done my friend Not even close >>

Oh, Yes they are!

THEY ARE DONE, SOLD OUT, FINA, ADIOS, simply a HOMERUN! image

Sorry you missed them 7/8! >>

Sounds like a single instead of a homerunimage

"In announcing the resumption of sales, U.S. Mint officials said Dec. 3 that the bureau plans to produce the maximum authorization of 50,000 sets."
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selling for $30 on Ebay now, after fee's that doesn't seem like a homerun to me.
  • Options

<< <i>Coinboy
    You should know me better than that by now. Except for USM collector spoons
    You know I buy everything they offer-and most in quantity. >>

Sorry, I just can't help 'Messin' with Sasquatch'

You have to admit that you always do this; perform a 'Seinfeld-like Opposite Day' shtick that really *means exactly the opposite* of what you are posting, LOL

i.e. they are sold out image
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone want to make a friendly wager that they are not sold out...

Cause I can order them. RIGHT NOW!
  • Options

<< <i>Selling for $30 on Ebay now, after fee's that doesn't seem like a homerun to me. >>

A $ Double your money with a few clicks of a mouse is by any other name a "HomeRun"

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just placed an order of 99, it was not a backorder either... The regular add to bag button was there. Now the backorder button is there.

I still think they will go online again...
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone want to make a friendly wager that they are not sold out...

Cause I can order them. RIGHT NOW! >>

Did a flash of competence come over them? image

But I am still waiting for that e-alert email that they are back ;>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file