Home U.S. Coin Forum

HOF Order numbers, time of order, and mix of HOF's thread...Updated Pops Report inside

Comments

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I have 7 silver proofs coming today which I have sold for $750 and I might got another batch of 6 silver proofs before the 1st strike deadline but will cancel the other 36 silver I have coming after the deadline. The 10 gold I have coming, eventually, are another story as I think they will hold some value and will keep them for now.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pops as of 4/22/18 compared to 4/18/14............................nothing earth shattering yet.
    I'm sure some forum members will see some crazy trend(s).
    69's are starting to pull away in the silver and clads.

4/18/14
    4/22/14
    4/18/14
    4/22/14

4/18/14
    4/22/14
    4/18/14
    4/22/14

4/18/14
    4/22/14
    4/18/14
    4/22/14

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very comprehensive Goldbully, thanks for the hard work. I would expect the totals of the regular FS's to pick up as people receive their coins and submit them for grading. This is only the beginning after all.

• CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    The mint sure knows how to flop a release.

By the time they are shipped, everybody will have forgotten about them and will have moved on to the 24kt Football coins.
    This is not new for the mint, they screw up every coin or coins that they release that is going to be popular. image
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Goldbully, interesting #s. Quality seems like it might be better than I thought. I hope we all get some good ones.
    Early on the coins cherry picked before sending in for 1st strikes but after the 6th that will not be happening as they have to be sent in unopened.

This is when the lower grades will increase.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Early on the coins cherry picked before sending in for 1st strikes but after the 6th that will not be happening as they have to be sent in unopened.

This is when the lower grades will increase. >>

Maybe, but if the last 2 years popular releases are any indications, not gonna happen. Is it possible, heaven forbid, that the US Mint's quality control has improved or perhaps even their minting procedures?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks Goldbully, interesting #s. Quality seems like it might be better than I thought. I hope we all get some good ones. >>

…except the 2014 half clad proof…San Francisco is up to their usual routine…dropping acid and dancing in Golden Gate Park before their shift at the Mint image I knew right away when I got my 5 half proofs that there was a QC problem in SF, as all 5 looked like Barry Bonds used them for batting practice…So I just bought 10 of them already graded as pr70 ER at $99 each. I'll toss them in the SDB and let them chill for a year maybe.

Erik
    Thanks Bullsitter and Kudbegud........here they are again on a fresh page........

Pops as of 4/22/18 compared to 4/18/14............................nothing earth shattering yet.
    I'm sure some forum members will see some crazy trend(s).
    69's are starting to pull away in the silver and clads.

4/18/14
    4/22/14
    4/18/14
    4/22/14

4/18/14
    4/22/14
    4/18/14
    4/22/14

4/18/14
    4/22/14
    4/18/14
    4/22/14

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work Goldbully.
    Thank you.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    The Mint credited my credit card today, without my asking, for the shipping charge of the bag after I cancelled the baseball coins on the order. So the bags cost you nothing if you cancel. (about all they are worth)
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    Goldbully

Thanks for posting the PCGS stats. I agree with the stats on the clad half dollars.
    I just received mine and both unc and proof look like Barry Bonds spiked them with his shoes.

It will probably be better to buy the clads after that they have graded, rather than sending them for grading.
    With the first strike special label costing $40, it is hard to believe you can recover that cost with a MS69 or PR69 or what may be a MS68/PR68.

Get 'em while you can!
    Looks like a good deal....you decide.
    I now have only one set of 6 silver proofs that are scheduled to be delivered to me this month as all the gold have moved to June or July depending who you talk to at the mint.

Quite a change from where we started and most of my orders were within the first 1 and 1/2 hours.
  • BurnieBurnie Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    My gold orders from March 27th had been showing June 1st dates, now they all show June 21st... I know these are just estimates but please! 3 months from order to possible delivery? Does it really take 3+ months to Mint, package and deliver these coins?
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • PRIZ430PRIZ430 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Everybody just CALM DOWN.....If you are a true collector....Its all about the coin.....You will have the coin when the coin arrives....and not before....so STOP STRESSING people.....
    Most of us are in this for the resale of them. The mint promises one thing and delivers another is the problem.

If I promise something to someone I deliver but I guess everyone does not play by the same rules.

I made th mistake of believing the mint when the said they were going to deliver 7 proof silver on Mar 3 and sold them but they did not deliver until 4/22.

All they had to do was tell me that in the beginning and I would have had no problem with it.

They are a typical govt agency that lies all the time and can not be trusted.
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Get 'em while you can!
    Looks like a good deal....you decide. >>

Those looked real cheap compared to some other sales.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    I am schedule to receive 100 PF dollars today, ordered first day, order 4294XXXX.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye

<< <i>I am schedule to receive 100 PF dollars today, ordered first day, order 4294XXXX. >>

What is the time of your order?
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I signed in to check on the situation of my stagnant orders and accepted the pop-up opinion poll.
    I was honest about liking the web site, etc.. but when it came to satisfaction questions and places to enter comments, I let 'em have both barrels.
    Felt good to blow off some steam.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

<< <i>

<< <i>I am schedule to receive 100 PF dollars today, ordered first day, order 4294XXXX. >>

What is the time of your order? >>

4:09 PM.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
    I am getting close on my last silver order I will be getting .

Mine was made at 4:43.

I wish they would get busy on the gold now.
    PCGS HOF coins are starting to show up in dealer inventories. Here is a clip from an ad that just showed up in an email from a coin publication. As a reference for you of what the asking price is.

A quick spread sheet shows the half's in 70, both uncirculated and proof, are the biggest winners so far percentage wise. Reflecting the reports here of poor quality control for these coins. The big dollar winners are of course the $5 golds.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe this post has 876, now 877 posts.
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Percent of 70's so far:

S clad proof
    31% in first strike
    38% total

D clad unc
    42% in first strike
    46% total

P unc
    35% in first strike
    52% total

P proof
    52% in first strike
    57% total

Gold unc
    56% in first strike
    61% total

Gold proof
    75% in first strike
    76% total

…interesting image

Erik
    Excellent Erik. I hope you done mind, I couldn't resist. I added your percentages to my spread sheet.

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'd need to factor in the cost of grading to get a better idea of which one is really the most profitable in that chart, right??

<< <i>You'd need to factor in the cost of grading to get a better idea of which one is really the most profitable in that chart, right?? >>

I love playing with Excel but I didn't consider that. You are correct, however, there are several grading cost by service type of the submission and the quarterly special for one more to figure in. And the shipping cost to and from PCGS don't forget. To much for me. Might make the grid too busy. Some probably think I have too much time on my hands already and they could be right. Thanks for the suggestion...keep 'um coming.
    To take a page from the Goldbully play book image , here is the grid at the top a fresh page

The grid convinced me on my 100 proof dollars:

Yikes! Are you going to submit them all?

• mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Well, had 3 separate $1 HOF orders shipped on 4/20.
    One came today via UPS as it was in an order above $300 so upgraded to 2 day delivery..
    The other 2 are shipped via FedEx and the tracking now says expected delivery expected on next Monday 4/28because those orders were less than $300.!
    Have to remember to order so each is above $300 for the free upgraded 2 day shipping next time!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
    If you see FedEx, it's actually FedEx SmartPost. 2nd day air only goes by UPS. I hate SmartPost and can't understand why the mint doesn't use Flat Rate Priority boxes from the USPO. 5-6 day delivery max. A fraction of UPS 2nd day air cost.

• CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Most of us are in this for the resale of them. >>

I'm happy to say I'm not one of "us". I ordered one each of the halves and dollars (no gold). The halves arrived 2 weeks ago, and the dollars came today. At $39 a pop for the quarterly special, they'll remain raw.

Time for a reality check: anyone paying the current retail prices for slabbed coins is likely to lose a significant portion of their investment, given the quantities minted. Can you say "tulip"? How many people know of a non-collector who really cares about these coins enough to keep them long-term? I suspect the gold will steadily fall in price after all have been delivered to customers; the dollars will settle in roughly the same range as the 2001 Buffalo dollars; the halves will not sell out, but there will be enough of them for anybody who wants one, especially baseball fans (current sales of 194,072 out of 750,000 authorized). Price of the halves in 5 years? Maybe $20 for a non-"70" coin.

So, long-term the gold and silver will be winners for the original purchasers, whether they're slabbed or raw. Halves will be losers. But buyers in the current secondary market will lose money unless they can sell to bigger fools.

Comments?

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • PRIZ430PRIZ430 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So, long-term the gold and silver will be winners for the original purchasers, whether they're slabbed or raw. Halves will be losers. But buyers in the current secondary market will lose money unless they can sell to bigger fools.

Comments?

Jim >>

The Baltimore First Pitch will be the winners and will hold value, due to the limited release quantity that qualified for the special label.
  • drfishdrfish Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    2001 PCGS Buffalo pr70s are selling for $400-475 and ms70s for $300-350. So using those numbers I don't think buyers of $1 HOF grade 70s will be buried at current prices - just not much upside (Unless the FS labels bring a big premium)The interesting part is what premium will the HOF First Strike label carry. Will it be modest like the 2011 25th Eagles or sky high like the fractional 08w Buffalos and APEs? Will the ms HOF $1 FS 70 s be the FS key since the mint currently seems to be shipping few ms and the ms $1 aren't grading well?
    I can't see the Baltimore labels holding their values- those premiums are insanely high.

<< <i>2001 PCGS Buffalo pr70s are selling for $400-475 and ms70s for $300-350. So using those numbers I don't think buyers of $1 HOF grade 70s will be buried at current prices - just not much upside (Unless the FS labels bring a big premium)The interesting part is what premium will the HOF First Strike label carry. Will it be modest like the 2011 25th Eagles or sky high like the fractional 08w Buffalos and APEs? Will the ms HOF $1 FS 70 s be the FS key since the mint currently seems to be shipping few ms and the ms $1 aren't grading well?
    I can't see the Baltimore labels holding their values- those premiums are insanely high. >>

Did you mean the PF 70 half which seems to be the rarest grade right now?

• drfishdrfish Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    No comparing Buffalo silver dollars to HOF silver dollars. Similar mintages and a popular design/theme
    drfish

I remember those days in 2001. There was a mad craze for the Buffalo silver dollars which were sold singly, in set with both unc. and proof, and as unc in the Buffalo Coin & Currency Set.

The Buffalo Silver Dollar in MS70 sold for $4,000 + and the PR70 sold for slightly less. I was in some eBay auctions when it hit those prices and now glad that I was a losing bidder.
    A fellow collector that I met at a local show owned 3 of each!

These coins in MS70 and PR70 (no first strike then) have come down to the $300-500 range, as you have said, with the PR70 selling for slightly more than the MS70 even with the PR70 (55%) having a higher mintage than MS70 (45%). The PR70 is a prettier coin.

The Baseball HOF Coins are Proof (62%) vs Uncirculated (38%) in mintage proportions. Again nearly similar.

It is interesting that the current Baseball HOF silver dollar coins are selling in that same range for MS70 and PR70. Maybe that's the right price, given a similar popular theme and similar mintage.

I would love to hear Eric Jordan's analysis and comments on the these coins. Eric, as many of you know, is the author of the book on modern commemorative coins and author of the huge thread on moderns.

edited to add comment about Eric Jordan. image
    Listing # 121321703748

Someone actually bid $25.00 on one of the mints bags!

<< <i>Listing # 121321703748

Someone actually bid $25.00 on one of the mints bags! >>

eBay Bid of $25 for US Mint Reusable Bag

It may not be a serious bid since the bidder is a brand new eBay registrant.
    What a way to get your feet wet!
    SPECTACULAR 2014 BASEBALL HOF COIN OFFICIAL U.S. MINT BAG
    The seller did give the guy a break on the shipping($4.85).
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Listing # 121321703748

Someone actually bid $25.00 on one of the mints bags! >>

eBay Bid of $25 for US Mint Reusable Bag

It may not be a serious bid since the bidder is a brand new eBay registrant. >>

Did you guys read that listing...Is the seller nutz? Here's what he says about these Mint Bags: NOW IS YOUR CHANCE!

THIS BAG IS RARE & HAS SOLD ON EBAY FOR OVER $1,000

Really? These bags have sold for over $1,000, Wow and to think some canceled their Bags...image
    Oh my! I cancelled 12 of them. My bad.
  • goldgirlgoldgirl Posts: 159 ✭✭
    Mine are off to be graded, wonder what they will sell for then image
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    9 imageimage

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file