Home U.S. Coin Forum

HOF Order numbers, time of order, and mix of HOF's thread...Updated Pops Report inside

1353637383941»

Comments

• << <i>Is anybody still waiting for silver? >>

Both my UNC and proofs have finally shipped. I ordered right before the sold out announcement.
  • rodzmrodzm Posts: 675
    My order was on 04/10/2014 at 08:51 AM. Almost 24 hours after they only had just over 9,000 left.

My order of 3 silver proofs shipped Aug 8
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting re: my gold proof.....

I received the "Dear John" letter last week stating this:

<< <i>Although you may have received an order confirmation and various backorder communications, these should not have been taken as a guarantee that your order would be fulfilled. While we did fulfill orders as inventory became available, we can now confirm that your order will not be fulfilled because of depleted inventory. >>

Today I received a "backordered" email....went to check my order and insted of "no longer available" (like my unc) I see it still live with a ship date of 8/31

Which is it? NO or maybe image
  • HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting re: my gold proof.....

<< <i>Although you may have received an order confirmation and various backorder communications, these should not have been taken as a guarantee that your order would be fulfilled. While we did fulfill orders as inventory became available, we can now confirm that your order will not be fulfilled because of depleted inventory. >>

Today I received a "backordered" email....went to check my order and insted of "no longer available" (like my unc) I see it still live with a ship date of 8/31

Which is it? NO or maybe image >>

Another batch of returns fell off the truck.image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater

<< <i>

<< <i>Interesting re: my gold proof.....

Which is it? NO or maybe image >>

Another batch of returns fell off the truck.image >>

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    The issue with the BB HOF is the lack of MLB and the retail outlets at the parks from offering these coins for sale.

If you want to sell them, create a buzz, people have to know they exist.

Right now this is limited to a small group of BB collectors and the coin collecting community.

Not real positive on the outlook.
    Hard to make them available in 30 ballparks with the silver selling out in a week . There is a possibility with the clads and at $10 it would be a start but more as a novelty....waaaay too many minted for any price appreciation.

The Kennedy gold created a "buzz" but only because of the fiasco at the OTC sales. That made the event more of a Black Friday stampede and probably did more harm than good to the hobby....equated coin "collecting" with all the other marketing sales event cluster fricks. That "buzz" will die down as large quantities of the actual coin get shipped.

At least with the HOF gold and silver there was a finite number available from day one. I think there will do better percentage wise than the Kennedy...Less expensive, a lot fewer minted, and a popular topic and unique design

We will see....check back in a year or so
    BB HOF could go either way.

I still believe they could have been promoted better, offered at the parks, even if it was 1,000 at each park for the silvers.... and maybe more quantity of clads.

Could have been better thought out where those 30,000 coins could have been reserved from the total and sent on for sale at parks.

That would have created the buzz to keep them going. There is absolutely no buzz right now for the BB HOF.

On the other hand, the bad publicity around the Gold Kennedy has created a significant buzz, much more than we had with the BB HOF.

IMO, the Gold Kennedy doesn't exceed 75,000. No matter what anyone says, the US Mint production capabilities, etc. its all about sales demand. After the initial flurry of sales, then come the cancellations and the backwardation of the sales numbers, then the sloooooow creep of sales going on into the fall.

Then the US Mint just shuts it off.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad that I cancelled my HoF orders when the mintages became public. Regardless if the novelty of a curved coin (which I think is stupid, except for the nice conceptual fit with baseball & glove), the demand for these commemoratives simply won't support much premium. As 7/8 suggests, demand might have been helped if MLB had been solicited in the marketing - but it wasn't.

I agree with 7/8 on the Gold Kennedys. The sales volume pattern and commentary on these boards are almost a carbon copy of the UHR when it was released. There were pros & cons over the fact that the design wasn't identical to the original 1907 design, there was an initial spike in sales that petered out and led to an extended selling period in which almost nobody bought more. There was discussion that the mintage was too high. In the end, demand was the overriding factor and the demand didn't solidify until after sales had ended. This may be the Kennedys' last hurrah, but it's still viable as a speculation I think.

Besides, unless they put too much frost and obliterated too much detail as was suggested in another post - I'm still pretty sure that I'll enjoy seeing the original design in gold.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>there was an initial spike in sales that petered out >>

I believe this will be the fate of the Gold Kennedy's as well. IMO, the demand for Silver Sets in the October/November timeframe will take most of the time away from minting Gold Kennedys. Together with dwindling sales, that will be the end game to just ending production of the gold.

The US Mint is pretty good at estimating demand, I don't think they will exceed current sales trend by more than 6,000 coins. That's a week production according to them.

They will take the 40,000 initial up to 60,000 in about 3-4 weeks. Then cease for a while, and evaluate.

<< <i>I'm glad that I cancelled my HoF orders when the mintages became public >>

The mintages were know BEFORE orders were placed....not the spread but the total.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << I'm glad that I cancelled my HoF orders when the mintages became public >>

The mintages were know BEFORE orders were placed....not the spread but the total.

You're correct. It took me awhile for the mintage implications to sink in after I had already ordered.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Got my $5 gold off ebay. Been waiting from some bonus bucks and the 4x was nice. Effectively paid $580 for a PCGS MS69. Not bad. Still mad about being so busy with work that I missed the mint's release of this series.
  • desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking of getting myself a silver proof $1 HOF as a novelty or conversation piece, just because I like the design. A raw coin in original mint package would be just fine for me; I find absolutely no difference between the 69 and 70 grades for modern Mint products, and even if you can convince me that there is such, it's still not anything I'd pay extra for.

I haven't been following the thing from the start. Would anyone be kind enough to refresh my memory as to what was the Mint's original selling price of the $1 proof silver? They seem to be selling now for about $70 on eBay, give or take a few dollars. Shall I buy now or wait?
    Raw silver HOF's are a decent buy right now...At $70 that is around $15 over original (not considering shipping of $4.95) I would say a good time to pick up one while the dump is on....

IMHO....
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whaddya think? 70 grades?

2014 BASEBALL HOF SILVER PROOF 1 $51.95 $51.95 In stock and reserved
    2014 BASEBALL HOF SILVER UNC 1 $47.95 $47.95 In stock and reserved
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone still have any open orders? Are your orders being cancelled?

Silver might be finishing up...
  • st0ckyst0cky Posts: 67 ✭✭
    My last two orders placed on 4/14 have been cancelled. Considering they were placed a full 5 days after the wait list notice appeared, I'm not really surprised. It looks like the Mint is finally finishing up the last of the silver orders.
  • All of my remaining silver Proof and Unc orders have been cancelled by the mint. I did receive some silver proofs last week which should qualify for " last strikes " Can someone bring out the fat lady ??
    Successful BST transactions with : Moderncoinmart,ebaytrader,ModCrewman,CharlieC,Lightcycler
  • Finally receved my waitlisted HOF silver proofs. To my naked eye they dont look like they are someone elses rejects.
    I just got another backorder email for my gold PF....what is up with this? I know it won't come but why send me updates twicw a month?

<< <i> Order #: 42977xx - 1 Sold To : xxx Ship To : xxx Item: B31 Qty: 1 Exp Ship: 10/03/14 2014 BASEBALL HOF GOLD PROOF >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file