Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Papi has earned the right to his secrets. Try asking the guy you bought the roll from what the date was on that particular box.
  • PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭

<< <i>Papi has earned the right to his secrets. >>

Thanks

Even in the box dates that I'm aware of, there's no guarantee the box will contain any 016s. You can still get Zonked. ODNH got VERY LUCKY finding 4
    16s are one of the hard ones to come up with along with the 51's.
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    From the new 2015 Red book thread started today:

<< <i>They listed a mintage for the copper 2009 Lincoln cents, issued only in the 2009 Mint Set (784,614). >>

<< <i>Are any of the 2009 Lincoln cent varieties noted? >>

I find it interesting that members not normally associated with this Formative thread had these observations and questions. Maybe there's a more broad interest and momentum growing

after all. The Naysayers are now becoming the Yaysayers! imageimageimage

Has anyone here gotten the new 2015 Red book yet? Just curious to see how it differs from the recently published Pro Red book as regards the coverage of these particular varieties.
    You may be right Steve as I have been selling graded coins to a lot of new people in the past couple of months.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks OneDoll, a good question for Dentuck as to what is in the new Redbook. I plan to buy one, but also interested in the same questions.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

<< <i>Thanks OneDoll, a good question for Dentuck as to what is in the new Redbook. >>

Akbeez asked me in a PM if I had contacted or planned on contacting Dentuck about the new Red Book and what information about the Formative errors was included this year.
    I hope he doesn't mind my sharing what I said in response.........This was my reply:

<< <i>No I didn't PM him about it. I have the Pro Red Book which does have the varieties noted and a few pictured as examples. Personally I think that there won't be any major impact on collecting these until the CPG comes out and forces the major TPG's to label them. I think that's the consensus opinion within our group.

Most serious collectors hardly even look at the Red Book...they think it's a publication for novices to get a general overview of coins by year and denomination with overly optimistic pricing attached.

I remember looking at prices in the Red Book when I first started collecting and thinking I was getting some fantastic buys on coins compared to their listed price guides. The hard truth was that when I went to re-sell them I found out that I had actually overpaid on many and had to take my lumps.

So, whatever values might be attached to the formative varieties are speculative at best. The CPG will identify the most important errors and catapult them into the minds of the serious collectors (the old guard).

Dennis (Dentuck) is not using his influence or resources to promote our cause. He has encouraged us in the past to basically publish our own book (as if we had the expertise to do so) and take it to a new level ourselves. So, there's no reason to knock on his door for now.
    >>

I'm going to just remain being patient, enjoy my collection, and keep looking for my next score on the bay. Someday the Nay-sayers will become the Yay-sayers like us. Hope you all

have great fortune in your quest for the key errors to fill out your own collections. Keep the faith Doubled Die-Hards! imageimage
    Air as you wish, that's fine. Agree serious collectors may have alternative Redbook sources, but it's more important that new collectors have this info. As a YN, I would have been all over this!

I hope it gives at least a glimpse of these varieties like was done for doubled ear (ho humm), etc. Most folks take notice when given the "finger", no?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭
    Good morning, doubled-diehards!

The 2015 Red Book has chart notes on pages 125 and 126, informing the reader
    that doubled-die varieties exist for the 2009 Lincoln Bicentennial cents.

As mentioned above, mintage figures have been added for the copper Satin-finish
    versions of the 2009 coins.

A new photograph of the Proof 2010 Shield Reverse cent has been included
    this year.

Good morning Dennis.
    Can you give us an update on the cherry pickers guide?

<< <i>Good morning Dennis.
    Can you give us an update on the cherry pickers guide? >>

There will be some 2009 doubled dies in there.

<< <i>There will be some 2009 doubled dies in there. >>

Haha Dennis, I think PB meant...when is the CPG scheduled to be released? I know that's my question. We've been anticipating it for awhile.

Plus, how many of the varieties will actually be pictured?

We'll have an update on the schedule next year. As for how many varieties will
    be covered, that's still to be determined.

<< <i> As for how many varieties will
    be covered, that's still to be determined.

Where do we register to vote? image

I hope you are making room for at least a "top ten" with pics and descriptions of progressive die stages that would show and explain how those multiple stages would incrementally add

value to each of the highlighted varieties.

This may be a reiteration of previous posts but those "top ten" (IMHO) would include (using Wexler's guide) the Wddr's 001, 002, 006, 014, 016, 025, 043, 050, 051, and 062.

I don't know if one could pare it down any further.

There are other doubled dies in the series that are significant (possibly more difficult to find) that I haven't mentioned and that someone else might lobby for inclusion in your publication.

I think it might also be nice if you would include a group statement from this forum (or John Wexler himself) as an introduction to the pages dedicated to these errors and what caused the

errors in the minting process. I look forward to seeing the final results once the publication hits the streets.

Thanks Dennis.....and a doubled thumbs up to all of the current and future doubled die-hards! imageimage
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread, if you only had room for one error, it should be 006.

<< <i>As I mentioned earlier in this thread, if you only had room for one error, it should be 006. >>

No worries there; we'll have room for several of these varieties!

Anybody want to buy my roll with the WDDR 006 and fatal die crack on the end of the roll ?

<< <i>Anybody want to buy my roll with the WDDR 006 and fatal die crack on the end of the roll ? >>

Let's back up the Brinks truck in your driveway..image
    imageimage
    What's the over/under on the final price of the 2009p bank box that's on Ebay and ends tomorrow? I am not bidding (and not my auction) but it's already at $95 plus $15 shipping

with 15 bids. I'm guessing Under $125 plus the shipping charge. this one

Good luck to the winner! Hope there's buried treasure in there! image
    Several of the big boys are bidding on it so it is hard to tell where it will end up.

I myself have stopped buying those boxes unless I know for certain what is in them.

I have gone through hundreds of boxes and really don't feel like looking through any more.

Good luck to the winner.
    I'm not going to get into a bidding war, especially with my luck recently on bank boxes (poor results). I've had better luck looking for individual rolls or slabbed material that have

unattributed errors showing in the listing. I just opened the roll that I picked up on the bay for $5 that I thought might have an error showing on the end (bad pics but...). When it

came I was surprised and delighted to find that it was a Wddr-014 on the end. Total 014 count from that roll? Nine! I also recently picked up an NGC ms66 with a Wddr-002 (naturally

unattributed by them) for about $8.

We'll see what future lucky finds will appear on my monitor. Many of the seller's pics are difficult to get a clear view so there is an element of "educated guessing" that takes

place while searching...but isn't that what makes collecting these fun....the search...the guess...the buy....and the (sometimes) great results? It is for me anyway...

keep the faith doubled die-hards... imageimage
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY 04/23/09

I love it Papi!
    Haha...THAT "cracked" me up! THAT was to "double die" for! imageimage
    I tried to put in a new picture of Tommy but screwed that up. http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/stephen1327/DSC01481_zpsd555f8a9.jpg
    Cant get it ,I quit. The new cat is getting so big and even prettier than he was. He has been a real joy in my life.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

<< <i>Fixed link >>

Thank You. I wish I knew more about these damn computers. One time I can do it, the next time I cant.
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The new cat is getting so big and even prettier than he was. He has been a real joy in my life. >>

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question about the 09-D Satin Finish FY DD's. I couldn't get the info from the ANACS pop report on how many have been graded so does anyone have any idea on how tough they are to find? The 005 and 009's are big ones imho. Anyone else care to speak of the 09-D's which have not got much press.
    Satin DDRs are scarce. I found 16 wddr-005's and 2 -009's out of 150+ mint sets.

Had an ANACS ms67 on ebay for a while, only got very low offers.

<< <i>Satin DDRs are scarce. I found 16 wddr-005's and 2 -009's out of 150+ mint sets.

Had an ANACS ms67 on ebay for a while, only got very low offers. >>

I have found 005's more plentiful than 009's also. I'm not sure any of these are worth the grading fees. The market seems pretty darn thin for these.
    Agreed. I'll keep them in the vault for another year, see what happens when the CPG comes out...

Still have a nice cache of sealed 09 mint sets. Can't decide to search them or sell sealed.

<< <i>Agreed. I'll keep them in the vault for another year, see what happens when the CPG comes out...

Still have a nice cache of sealed 09 mint sets. Can't decide to search them or sell sealed. >>

I didn't think the CPG would have the 09-D Satin Finish ones listed?
    Likely not -- but will focus more attention on the varieties. Plenty folks still don't know they exist.

<< <i>
    I didn't think the CPG would have the 09-D Satin Finish ones listed? >>

Dennis Tucker can illuminate us on this subject. Dentuck, are these 2009-D satin finish copper varieties found in the mint sets going to get a mention in the next CPG?
    Let's not forget the Formative Proof DDRs too

<< <i>Let's not forget the Formative Proof DDRs too >>

Dennis? I know you didn't forget the proofs...
    Nice box. The bidders know it too!
    Yeah....... but now that i look; only two bidders
    And they both are serious.
    another one sold this morning for around the same amount. I'm off today and I got an Ebay offer today for 4x e-bucks so I'm going to look for some deals.

might open a box or two for fun as well.
    Hello doubled die-hards...it's been awhile so I thought I'd check in and see what's new, what you've gotten for your collection lately, and most importantly...how the heck are you?

I've been trying to find more lp2 boxes with good dates and times but they're either not showing up or too expensive for me when they do. (look at Papi's last post for evidence...and that's

for a 4/17 box!!). Imagine what a 4/23 box would go for today. I'm not giving up though. I know good deals will present themselves now and again. I just have to be diligent in my

searches and patient enough to wait for those Eureka moments. image
  • ksammutksammut Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

My son and I will be doing a presentation on the 2009 Lincoln cent varieties this Tuesday night at the Wilmington, DE coin club. We did a abbreviated version at the Delaware County Coin Club (PA) a few weeks ago. It was the annual YN night and we did not want to make it too long. We will take pictures and will tape the presentation and place it on You Tube. As a few of you requested, I will post some pictures here and paste the link to the You Tube video.

The club sent out the announcement earlier today. Like all children, Kenny was happy to see his name noted on the announcement.

Wilmington Coin Club, Inc
    P.O. Box 7750, Wilmington, DE 19803

Meeting Announcement

Tuesday, May 27 at 7:30 PM
    Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, 1530 Foulk Rd.

May’s Program
    Varieties of the 2009 Lincoln Cent
    By
    Kenny Sammut
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Door Prizes
    Roman Tiberius, Calagurris
    Making the Grade -- Grading Guide to top 50 most popular coins
    1901 Barber Half Dollar
    1948 S Washington Quarter
    ½ oz. APMEX .999 Silver round

Give some time back to keep our club vibrant
    We need some new faces to work on committees assisting the new officers. If you are interested in helping out, see Carl Renner or any of the new officers.

There are lots of different opportunities to get involved

There will be an auction after the May meeting. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next regular club meeting – June 24, 2014
    No Auction
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

Good luck at the show! Wish I could be there.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the Youtube video and pics. Happy that you and your son can share this hobby. Have fun! imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file