Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭

<< <i>How can they possibly put out the CPG without including the major errors of the 2009 P's. >>

I'm hoping that they go beyond 2009. At least within 1-2 years of the publication.

But now with the so called "Major" 2014 DDO, a current issue is essential.

Dentuck?

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    You are being called Dennis!

Can you give us a little insight to what the progress is on this?
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    I think Dennis it tired of being asked WHEN???? The mystery is that there doesn't seem to be a deadline or scheduled release date that most publications would be obligated to adhere to.

Just a guess but I think they'll still be a few years behind when it's published. The over/under is 2011. As long as the 2009's are there I'll be content. I just hope the wait has been worth it.
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭
    Hullo all!

I hope everybody had a nice 4th of July weekend. I spent a week in upstate
    New York visiting family and old friends. Ate way too much food, but managed
    to not have any fingers blown off in fireworks mishaps, so it's all good!

The next Cherrypickers' Guide (6th edition, volume I) will cover the
    2009 Lincoln Bicentennial cents, among other coins. And yes, it will be brought
    as up to date as possible. If there are significant new discoveries from recent
    years, they'll be included. (The other current circulating denomination covered
    by volume I, in addition to cents, is five cents.)

I, along with everyone else noticed how you avoided a possible date CPG is now scheduled to be published.

You must have some timetable established.

Can or will you tell us anything at all?

Hello Dennis...glad you had a great 4th! I was working image but you know...somebody's got to do it! image any CPG publishing projections or date would be great. sorry to sound impatient,

but then, that should be a good thing to hear for a publisher. Spill the beans...when can we expect it?
    Not too long from now, in a galaxy not far away.

On a more serious note: there are a lot of factors
    that go into a publishing firm's decision of when to
    release a new book. I'm reluctant to announce any
    plans as if the rollout date is set in stone, because
    factors can and do change.

I can say, however, that work continues
    on the volume, and the 2009 cents will be included.

I do appreciate what you go through in the publishing business. Please keep on top of it for us if you would and let us know what you can when you can.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    To get back to the "collecting" part of this thread...I just got a bank box in the mail today. It's been awhile since I've purchased a bank box because, frankly, I haven't been too lucky for

quite some time in searching them. This time I think my luck has changed. I've already found 4 major varieties on the end of seven rolls (out of 15 rolls that I've just started

looking at). No, none of the 006 double die crack varieties which is the holy grail but the three varieties I've found so far are the 050, 051, 052, and 095's; all "best of" varieties.

Should be fun to go through these. You never know, maybe an 006 lurking within? One can dream right? One roll shows an 050 on one end and an 052 on the other. So I'm jazzed

as you might expect. The CPG's publishing date be damned...full speed ahead! imageimageimage

edited to add: found 23 rolls that had an error showing on the end, 3 rolls had the 50 and 52 on opposite ends. Just opened one roll that wasn't showing an error on end. Results:

2-050's, 6-051's, 8-052's, and 7-095's. No 006's image but obviously nothing to complain about. Ok, back to work.
    There are still some of them out there. It just takes some good luck to find them. Congrats Steve!
    These are mostly errors that I didn't have in my collection to date so to find that kind of a variety in one bank box was a shocker. Every once in awhile a blind squirrel finds a nut.
    A lucky find indeed.

I have had similar boxes. You'll find them in the quantities from high to low

This is how mine are trending high to low. The 050's are very low comparatively averaging less than two per roll.

Did you find any 006's in these type of boxes Papi or is my pipe dream just that...a pipe dream?
    Interesting

You must have a box that was packaged earlier than mine.

996's were not in these boxes.
    Yes, it must be a pre-Papi package...image I didn't expect I would find any 006's (or 996's for that matter) but the quest continues. You all have fun in your searches!

<< <i>(or 996's for that matter) >>

LOL

That's what happens when you type without your glasses

<< <i>These are mostly errors that I didn't have in my collection to date so to find that kind of a variety in one bank box was a shocker. Every once in awhile a blind squirrel finds a nut. >>

Every once in a while a persistent hunter has a great find too.
    Unfortunately we will not live long enough to sell all we have at retail.

I think the only one I never found on my own was the 043, but they're plentiful/cheap enough to buy.

The final stage 006s are a specialty item that only a handful would be willing to buy.
    The final stage 006 is a tough one to come up with.

I had that box and only found 1 of them in the whole box.

i did find 14 of the stage "D" in that box though and a boatload of the obverse die crack without the skeleton finger.

That box must have been after the reverse die crack broke.

I bought that one roll off of anotherauctionnut with a final stage error on the end of roll which I can not find anyone else that has another of them.
    What's the consensus opinion on collecting the 2009-D copper satin finish" errors? I just picked up an 005 (doubled thumb) graded by Anacs MS-67 which I love.

Wexler rates it as a "Best of" . Seems like the mintage of these would be low, making the errors even more rare in this series. Anybody else looking for these in their searches?

These were only found in the U09 special mint sets I believe. Just wondering how many U09 sets have been searched by the group here and what successes they've had

finding these little gems in them. Back to my original question however....are these on your radar as collectibles?
    I know they exist but have not really looked for them with all my searching has been for the 09P's.

Maybe I will look through the about 60 sets I have this winter when I get bored though.

Nobody has really done much with them up to this point.

I went through all my proof sets and picked out 2 WDDR 001 proofs that graded MS69 which are nice coins.

I have not seen many of these either.
    I forgot to ask .....Dennis (Dentuck) are the 2009D satin finish ddr errors also going to be listed in the upcoming CPG?

<< <i>I forgot to ask .....Dennis (Dentuck) are the 2009D satin finish ddr errors also going to be listed in the upcoming CPG? >>

Not sure yet. But if you'd like them to be, get in touch with authors J.T. Stanton and Bill Fivaz, and editor Ken Potter and let
    them know your thoughts.

<< <i>Not sure yet. But if you'd like them to be, get in touch with authors J.T. Stanton and Bill Fivaz, and editor Ken Potter and let them know your thoughts. >>

If these three don't know about the satin finish reverse errors I'd be surprised. They are listed by every variety publication (Wexler, Coppercoins, etc.) . I wouldn't think

my thoughts on the subject would add any significance to the CPG authors' or editors' decision making of whether to include them or not. I would hope that has already

been determined. It goes without saying that these satin finish reverse errors are not only as important as the regular issue ddr's, but perhaps even more since these

were produced as a special mint set by the mint using the original metal composition used in 1909. Since it was a limited run and made of copper the fact that there were

STILL several errors produced makes these even more scarce and ultimately more interesting to the variety collector. There are some very nice doubled dies to be found.

Values will be determined by the collector base but I believe they will also have a stronger upside in the future than the regular issue doubled dies.

So, Dennis, if you could ask them for us it would be appreciated. Again, I would be shocked if they were left out of the publication but stranger things have happened. Thank you.

P.S. then there is the subject of the 2009 S Proof doubled dies...some significant ones there as well to include in your publication....
    I'm only the book's publisher. You are its end consumer, its reader --- which makes you infinitely more
    important. Numismatic authors love to hear recommendations and feedback from their enthusiastic, well-informed
    readers. Drop 'em a line!

Alright Dennis, just thought as the publisher you'd have that info at the ready. I sent an email to Ken Potter.

<< <i>Hello, In conversation with Dennis Tucker (Dentuck) on the forum he recommended that I contact you directly (as the editor) regarding the 2009p ddr listings that will be included in the next CPG that you are currently working on to inquire about the status of the "D satin finish" ddr's and the "S proof" ddr's. Will they also be included along with the business strike ddr's? I feel that these are of special importance due to their metal composition and low mintage numbers making them more rare and, as a result, more valuable: certainly worth noting and picturing in your upcoming publication.
    Thank you >>

I successfully duplicated this message to both Bill Fivaz and J.T. Stanton. Looking forward to their responses which I will post should they answer.
    There's been a response to my email inquiry on the "satin and proof" ddr's as to whether or not they'd be included in the new CPG by one of the authors. I'm sure it will get Dennis'

attention. I forwarded it to him. There is a definite "alternate reality" at work here. That's about all I can say at this point. Hopefully Dennis will be able to give us an update on

projections for the CPG's publication.

Back to the subject of 2009p ddr's and the search....as some of you know I've been going through a bank box that I recently acquired that has Wddr-050, 051, 052, and 095's in it. I looked

through two rolls today and of course found the same group inside. I did however come across a lone 049 in the mix. The first one I've found in about 15 rolls searched. So, that was

a pleasant surprise. I didn't have one in my collection yet so it's yet another piece to the puzzle. Got to love unexpected surprises. One other note on these; the 052's are all stage E

with the light die crack that goes from the base of his foot to the top of R in pluribus. I also found a few of the 050's with late stage die cracks from the bottom of his boot to the rim.

Fun stuff! Hang in there doubled die-hards! imageimage
    Sounds like you are having a great time with this box. Enjoy it!
    Yes, having fun with this box. Off today so I can take some pics. Sure is quiet on this thread again. I'm surprised there hasn't been an uptick in conversation since the Red Book came out

with these featured for the first time.
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If and when the CPG finally arrives, I believe the posts will be a plenty and coming out of the woodwork!imageimage

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
    If I live that long!

<< <i>If I live that long! >>

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
    The waiting feels like a child anticipating Santa to bring the presents under the tree on Christmas morning!!!image

I am so tired of waiting for Whitman to make up their mind of when they are going to print this thing that I feel they are going to write another grinch stole Christmas story instead.
    Each Cherrypickers' Guide is lovingly hand-crafted
    from the finest small-batch farm-grown ingredients. Its
    pages are carefully washed and laid out to sun-dry, before
    being assembled and packaged by hand, then shipped
    in special refrigerated railroad cars to ensure freshness.

Please be patient while the book is in production!

<< <i>

>>

Very clever response Dennis! When is harvest time for these small-batch farm-grown ingredients? Those pages should be sun-dried by now as hot as this summer has been so they

should be ready for assembly and packaging. I feel we're the ones sitting in those special refrigerated railroad cars "just chillin' " while waiting for shipment.

I think we've been patient. We're the proverbial "squeaky wheel" though so you'll have to get the lube and grease us with accurate and forthcoming information if you want the squeaking

to subside. Aren't you happy that you're the publisher now? image We do appreciate your efforts Dennis. Keep up the good work!

<< <i>

<< <i>

Very clever response Dennis! When is harvest time for these small-batch farm-grown ingredients? Those pages should be sun-dried by now as hot as this summer has been so they

should be ready for assembly and packaging. I feel we're the ones sitting in those special refrigerated railroad cars "just chillin' " while waiting for shipment.

I think we've been patient. We're the proverbial "squeaky wheel" though so you'll have to get the lube and grease us with accurate and forthcoming information if you want the squeaking

to subside. Aren't you happy that you're the publisher now? image We do appreciate your efforts Dennis. Keep up the good work! >>

image 100% Esp. appreciating the efforts from Dennis!

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cut the c#*p when will it be out.... image I need my fix. image

Hoard the keys.

This is my latest find. Shown is a Wddr-050 with a stage "C" die crack reverse that extends from the bottom of Abe's boot to the top of the letter "I" in Pluribus.

Wexler only shows stages through a stage "B" that does not account for this die crack. John wants to see it in-hand, says pics aren't enough. What do you guys think. Am I

mis-reading the stage descriptions on John's webpage or is this actually a previously unknown/undocumented die stage? If the consensus is that it's a new stage I will send

it to John for attribution. image
    Send it to him if you want to but we don't need any more varieties for sure but another stage wont make any difference one way or the other.

I do not pay any attention to stages other than the 006 ones as they are too hard to see.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That just doesn't seem noteworthy enough to be mentioned as an "error" coin...JMHO..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>That just doesn't seem noteworthy enough to be mentioned as an "error" coin...JMHO.. >>

You're right..the die crack is not in itself significant and would not excite too many people as an "error".

The die crack pictured is only illustrating a die stage of the Wddr-050. If you look at his hand area between his thumb and the book spine you will see the actual error. Check out Wexler's

site for doubled dies for more details. The reason I posted this pic is that the die crack that extends from the bottom of Abe's boot to the "I" in Pluribus is not mentioned in the stage "B"

description. It is my theory that this is evidence of a previously unknown stage "C" that needs to be verified and attributed by John Wexler as such. I was trying to get feedback from

the experienced collectors of these errors, whether I was missing something in my reading of stage "B". Welcome to the discussion. Lots to learn about this series and the errors that lie

within.

imageimage a doubled thumbs up to you and the rest of the 2009p Formative doubled die-hards!
  • mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    I have quite a few errors on this coin ! Just sitting on them !image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
    Good to see you still lurking around. How's the summer going in beautiful Maine?
    listing

Had to share this recent listing. Can YOU believe that HE believes there are 006's in these boxes? Great price though...image Good luck

From my experience these boxes at best would yield an 013C and I think they were packaged too early for that error (going by the time on the box)

What do you think?

I made him an offer of $1.00 per box for all 3 boxes. I am right in the ball-park for what they are worth.
    New bank box arrived. Luckily finding Wddr-014's. My last bank box yielded Wddr-050's, 051's, 052's, and 095's. That was a fun box to search through as is this one today. How are you

all doing in your recent searches? It's been quiet for awhile on this thread...I'm hoping that some of you are ready to come out of hibernation and contribute to this thread again.

As always...a doubled thumbs up to you all and keep the faith doubled die-hards! imageimage
  • Not much noise concerning these 100+ varieties of the 2009 FY cents on the internet. We must all be waiting patiently for the next CPG to be published. I am in it for the long haul. Good or bad, that is my same attitude about the WI leaf quarters. Have a great day !!
    Specialized Investments
    I have been selling 3 or 4 every week so interest is still there. I even had a dealer from New Jersey buy a couple of MS 67 WDDR 043's Saturday.
    I'm sure there's going to be a resurgence of interest in these once the CPG hits the book stores and Amazons of the world. Just have to try and remain patient. imageimage

Does anyone have any information about Papi -- where he's been, what happened to him, or if he's ok? strange that he hasn't participated in a long time on this thread...and he used

to be one of the stronger voices and contributors to the conversation/education in regards to these errors.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file