Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Natural toning. Many of the proof Linc's have to some degree, perhaps because of their higher copper content?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, the LP2 boxes had the errors, what about mint products U09 and P09?
    They have been found in both the Satin Mint (U09) and Proof (P09) sets. They are tough to find in the Mint sets (like 1:100 sets) and rare in the proof.

The latter have sold for 3 figures. PB had one or two as I recall.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    Cool. I have a few proof sets in a sealed us mint box and a few sealed unc sets. I wonder if they are worth looking through.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They have been found in both the Satin Mint (U09) and Proof (P09) sets. They are tough to find in the Mint sets (like 1:100 sets) and rare in the proof.

The latter have sold for 3 figures. PB had one or two as I recall. >>

I had 2, both PR 69's, I sold one for $500 early on but still have the other one.

• << <i>Natural toning. Many of the proof Linc's have to some degree, perhaps because of their higher copper content? >>

thnx, pretty cool if it continues and tones entire reverse
    "I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more"
    I have not noticed any toning on any of mine.
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image back Steve! Sorry for the outcome but it's still nice to see ya' back my friend! You Double-Die hard you.imageimage Hey, my current post amount (1964) is the same year my wife was born!image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Joeycoins, Akbeez, Pitboss and all....good to be back and begin the recovery. It's therapeutic to help get over the shock and grief of losing such a nice hoard of these errors. I am like a building that was burned down so it needs to be

re-built. It will be a slow process but steady.

I won't be investing big bucks but will look for special deals and hope to find a few gems in the wild, just like a collector should. I still am looking forward to the CPG's publication and hope that I have a couple of the top ten in my

collection to celebrate with by then. Everyone please keep posting your winners, new finds, high MS samples, and questions for all of us to share. It makes for a much better and entertaining thread. imageimage
    quietly still searching for these. certainly not much in the way of good deals to be had on Ebay but occasionally something pops up. noticed a listing for a 4/23 box that sold for $65...but upon investigation looks like a shill situation...so he sold it to himself

or a friend that was trying to help boost the value of the box. since there haven't been any postings on this thread for awhile I'm assuming people are just spinning their wheels waiting for the CPG to come out and see how that affects the market for these.

keep us posted as to what you're doing, finding, and thinking. onward doubled die-hards! imageimage
    Everybody is still waiting for the CPG. I have continued to pick up good errors while I await it.
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Steve, It's 3 years since you started this thread! Still going strong and still waiting for the CPG.image WoW! I just noticed how many posts I have. 2009image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭
    Bill Fivaz and his team, including editor Mike Ellis, have been diligently
    at work on the Cherrypickers' Guide, sixth edition, volume I.

Here's Bill at Whitman Publishing Headquarters recently.

Are we still looking for a late fall date on the CPG 6th edition Dennis?

<< <i>Are we still looking for a late fall date on the CPG 6th edition Dennis? >>

Since he didn't respond to your question PB I hope you're not holding your breath. image

Just to share something positive with everyone I just received three 4/23 boxes in today's mail. Got lucky and found a listing that was a mix of boxes that they were part of. I netted paying about $7.50 per box. I'm trying to rebuild slowly what was lost

but the pickins' are slim and the deals are far and few between. I just keep lookin', hopin', and prayin'. Sometimes it works out like it did in this instance. I hope you all keep sharing your lucky finds with us. imageimage
    Congrats on picking up a few 4/23 boxes. I have stopped looking for them myself as I have enough to last me at my age.
    Nice score OneDoll -- did you open them? Curious minds...

Last I heard the CPG was on target this year, but that appears to still be a rumor. Hopefully the "man" Dennis can confirm or deny.

<< <i>Congrats on picking up a few 4/23 boxes. I have stopped looking for them myself as I have enough to last me at my age. >>

Ok good PB...then I have a chance to find more 4/23 boxes...haha.

The sad thing about losing my collection is I'll never be able to find what I had hoarded such as the final stage 006's, 16's, 25's, 43's, 50's, 51's, 52's. 95's, or my "cracked skull Abe" major die crack variety in the wild again because the bank boxes are

now mostly "blank" boxes and I don't have the resources or energy to search them out again. I'm relegated to searching for low priced premium date lp2 boxes and what they hold inside for now. Luckily I still have my master list of dates, times, and

batch numbers to guide me to the better deals. .... and so it goes ...onward mint box soldiers...image

Sorry for the delayed reply! I didn't see your question until this morning. Yes,
    the Cherrypickers' Guide is bustling along and will be available in a few
    months. This volume is pretty impressive --- lots of new varieties listed, everything
    updated, new images, etc. I think you'll be happy with it.

Thans for the update Dennis.

I still have that roll with the WDDR 006 last stage on the end of the roll which is probably the only roll like that as these coins are super rare. These rolls were only found in bank boxes and not many at that.

<< <i>Thans for the update Dennis.

Yes, thank you Dennis. Obviously there is great anticipation here for its release.

I still have that roll with the WDDR 006 last stage on the end of the roll which is probably the only roll like that as these coins are super rare. These rolls were only found in bank boxes and not many at that. >>

The Holy Grail of all of the 2009p Formative series doubled die cents, featured on the end of an unopened roll? Yeah, I'd say that's special PB.

Hi Dennis, can you tell us which of the varieties of 2009 formative years coins are pictured in it? I assume 002, 006 and 025 and 043 but what do I know.
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PB- I noticed your prices for the 006-67's have just about doubled in the past year.

Why would they not as demand is there and the MS67 is not a grade that is abundant.

ANACS is tough on grading and I don't get many 67's back even though I hand pick what I send in, mostly 65's and 66's.

I only grade the 7 varieties that have CPG numbers.
    Anybody waiting for PCGS to grade these coins when the CPG comes out better have a heavy pocket book as the price they are putting out now will be prohibitive from sending them in for grading.
    What would you like their listed values to be, grade by grade?

Post them here publicly --- speak now or forever hold your peace!

I think they all will be different values.

WDDR 001 raw $12.00 MS 65 $29.95 MS 66 $59.95 MS 67 $89.95

WDDR 002 raw $6.95 MS65 $19.95 MS 66 $39.95 MS 67 $79.95

WDDR 006 raw $15.95 MS65 $49.95 MS 66 $79.95 MS 67 $99.95

WDDR 025 raw $13.95 MS65 $29.95 MS 66 $49.95 MS 67 $89.95

WDDR 043 raw $12.95 MS65 $29.95 MS 66 $59.95 MS 67 $89.95

Those are the main ones that have the CPG numbers right now, and what I have been getting for mine. I have sold several hundred at these prices.
  • koinprokoinpro Posts: 29 ✭✭

<< <i>Hi Dennis, can you tell us which of the varieties of 2009 formative years coins are pictured in it? I assume 002, 006 and 025 and 043 but what do I know. >>

It seems to me that I assigned FS#s to eight of the FY cents and included an image of a proof that I did not assign a # to (leaving that decision up to Mike Ellis). I sent Mike dozens of images of varieties that I had already assigned numbers to before I had to bow out of editing CPG due to health concerns -- which are no longer an issue for me thank God. I think everybody will love this edition. I know I look forward to it.

BTW, some of the FY dds are already included with FS#s in the Professional 6th Edition Red Book. I think all that you ask about are in there with their FS #s.

Enjoy!
    Ken Potter's Variety Vault, Educational Coin Gallery, CONECA, CONECA-HLM, ANA-LM, MSNS-HLM, NLG, CSNS, NWDCC, IASAC, WBCC, Fly-In
    Thank you for the update. I did not include the WDDR 016 or WDDR 050, which both have CPG numbers because i have not sold enough of them for a good analysis.

<< <i>What would you like their listed values to be, grade by grade?

Post them here publicly --- speak now or forever hold your peace! >>

Dennis,

I sold hundreds of the following through my Numismatic News ads (these are all I have had to market so I can't speak for the others):

All of my coins were raw.

FS-801, CONECA: DDR-043, Wexler: WDDR-043: MS-63 $24.95, MS64 $35.00, MS65 $49.95, MS66 $65.00

FS-802, CONECA: 1-R-VII, Wexler: WDDR-002: MS-63 $24.95, MS64 $35.00, MS65 $49.95, MS66 $65.00

FS-805, CONECA: DDR-026, Wexler: WDDR-025: MS-63 $24.95, MS64 $35.00, MS65 $49.95, MS66 $65.00

FS-807, CONECA: 2-R-VIII, Wexler: WDDR-016: MS63 $19.95, MS64 $24.95, MS65 $29.95, MS66 $45.00

FS-808, CONECA: 9-R-VIII, Wexler: DDR-006: I only found two of these so far but I have more of the box to search (someday): I sold one in MS-64 at $75.00
    Ken Potter's Variety Vault, Educational Coin Gallery, CONECA, CONECA-HLM, ANA-LM, MSNS-HLM, NLG, CSNS, NWDCC, IASAC, WBCC, Fly-In
    This sure is a highly sought after book and I can hardly wait for my copy.
    I've only sold raw on Ebay

Now my hard work and years invested in searching the Lp2 and bank boxes to build my hoard has been lost to thieves but prior to that debacle these are the individual results I was realizing.

WDDR 001 raw $10
    WDDR 002 raw $5
    WDDR 006 raw $15
    WDDR 013 stage D w/large die crack raw $12
    WDDR 016 raw $10
    WDDR 025 raw $10
    WDDR 043 raw $12
    WDDR 050 raw $12
    WDDR 051 raw $12
    WDDR 052 raw $10
    WDDR 095 raw $7

PB is accurate on graded prices realized and they should be used as an early price guide.

I predict with the publication of the CPG and broader acceptance and more aggressive search by the general collecting community that these prices will go up substantially within a short period of time.

The time to purchase whatever is affordable to you is now. I'm down but not out when it comes to these errors. Funds are limited but every once in awhile, like the proverbial blind squirrel, I still find a nut to enjoy.
    Thanks, doubled-diehards!

No problem Dennis, glad we could help.
    Our pleasure Dennis. Continued success! imageimage
  • Has anyone seen this one before? WDDR#002 that is Struck Through Debris?
    here is the REV
    here is the OBV
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
    I have never seen one like it.
  • I wasn't sure many were out there. I only found them in a very specific date time and stamp#. I only found about 8 so far and holding onto just one more box with that date.
    I was a Monkey
    I have not even looked for them but will go through my rolls of 002's to see if any are in there sometime in the next few days.
  • RonnyRonny Posts: 94

<< <i>The good lp2 boxes really dried up. I keep a watch for them and only found one in the last few months.

The Lincoln Cent Resource site has these listed in a top 10 list now, I recently discovered. See this Site

I've seen steady interest in these. >>

+1

Cheers, ronO

• << <i>I have not even looked for them but will go through my rolls of 002's to see if any are in there sometime in the next few days. >>

Let me know if you find any. It could be a very nice find if you have 1 or 2.
    I was a Monkey

<< <i>I only found them in a very specific date time and stamp#. >>

Nice discovery! Mind sharing which date, time, and stamp # with us so we can look for them also? As you know the 002's in themselves are one of the most common errors in the series but this struck through grease version is unusual and may have a

little more value to a variety collector.

Congrats on the find! imageimage

<< <i>

<< <i>I only found them in a very specific date time and stamp#. >>

Nice discovery! Mind sharing which date, time, and stamp # with us so we can look for them also? As you know the 002's in themselves are one of the most common errors in the series but this struck through grease version is unusual and may have a

little more value to a variety collector.

Congrats on the find! imageimage >>

Has anybody rated these as per scarcity? I might still have the box with the date from which I found two of the #6. Two is not many but still perhaps worth the cost of a box considering the next guy may be luckier than me.
  • I don't believe anyone truly knows the scarcity of any one particular variety. Some of the ones that have the different stage die cracks could get an idea if the number of coins minted off each main die. Nobody has been able to determine exactly how many coins could have been minted by one set of dies. We are close to a good guess due to the time stamps and dated boxes that there not that many made with each variety. Let alone those DDR's paired with DDO's or Die Cracks or The Struck Through Debris I pictured earlier. We can tell you this, they are not plentiful as some may think. Hoard as many as you can....Kris
    I was a Monkey
    I just went through all my WDDR 002's and found only 4 with the struck through grease.
  • Nice find pitboss.
    I was a Monkey
    Doubled-Diehards: Is there any kind of wholesale market for the 2009 DDRs?
    Or are they mainly cherrypicked by those who know about them, and then
    retailed?

There is no wholesale market that I know of yet.
  • You won't find these on QVC or any other tv coin show. Has anyone else found anymore of the DDR002 with the struck through on the OBV yet besides pitboss? Kris
    I was a Monkey

<< <i>I just went through all my WDDR 002's and found only 4 with the struck through grease. >>

Picture?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file