Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I agree. Our host must realize how significant these 2009's really are. One very important reason is the fact that CPG would place on it's cover just one of many double dies in the 2009 family. Let's think of that for one moment. Picturing our beloved Lincoln on the highly awaited New CherryPicker's Guide is such a compliment to us imageimage's and also to Dennis Tucker. They really must of listened and took notice by the obvious results. Then, to not only stick the prices and info. in the book but to place the "Cherry"(sorry, pun intended) on top of the cake by picturing the thumb on it's front cover! Wow! Now I think these will receive the recognition it deserves. Well done CPG and of course, well done Dennis Tucker.imageimage So com'on PCGS! You can jump on the bandwagon too. You won't regret it.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Bummer, they didn't use my discovery coin for the cover. Here is the one I sent to Crawford for his online magazine.
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    Isn't that the one on the cover? WDDR 01

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bummer, they didn't use my discovery coin for the cover. >>

Probably because of copyright infringement possibilities if not the rinse spots and overall gouged condition of the coin in the pic itself. Nice that you got credit for the "discovery" though. image
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Probably because of copyright infringement possibilities if not the rinse spots and overall gouged condition of the coin in the pic itself. Nice that you got credit for the "discovery" though. image >>

Plus Crawford went AWOL. Too bad as I first submitted the Skeleton Finger too him after finding them in the 4/23 rolls that just happened to be sent to me by the Mint.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Probably because of copyright infringement possibilities if not the rinse spots and overall gouged condition of the coin in the pic itself. Nice that you got credit for the "discovery" though. image >>

Plus Crawford went AWOL. Too bad as I first submitted the Skeleton Finger too him after finding them in the 4/23 rolls that just happened to be sent to me by the Mint. >>

Maybe if we would have paid Wexler then ours might have made the cover together Constantine.
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice score on the 68. Out of all the coins I've looked through on these I've only found 1 that I think deserves the 68 grade, just have to send it in. Jesse, it was only in the boxes dated 4/17 that had the struck through in it. Those are very limited, since not every box I opened with that date had any in it. I still love hoarding unopened boxes. I have a few 4/29's, a 4/17 still, and a few other dates, along with a $25 box from the bank with see through rolls, I did find a nice OBV die crack on the end of one of the bank rolls. Kris >>

I have a one of a kind roll. I know of no other. It came from a bank box and it has WDDR 006 with the fatal die crack on the end of the roll. This is a super rare coin anyway and to have one on the end of a roll is great.
  • Options

<< <i>
    I have a one of a kind roll. I know of no other. It came from a bank box and it has WDDR 006 with the fatal die crack on the end of the roll. This is a super rare coin anyway and to have one on the end of a roll is great. >>

Pitboss, are you ever going to open the roll to see if there are any others inside? Is the end roll coin in a high enough grade condition to slab? I'm always on the hunt for that one lucky bank roll with the "holy grail" of the series

that you found to come around.

• Options
    Is there a list someplace of what boxes/dates/timestamp are known to contain what varieties?

• Options

<< <i>Is there a list someplace of what boxes/dates/timestamp are known to contain what varieties? >>

Hey silverspaz, Welcome to our thread! Glad for you to be called a imageimage Double diehard. Throughout our whole thread will provide the answer to your question.

• Options
    There sure is but you need to go back to the beginning of the thread and read through it. It is all in here as we have not held back secrets.

I have even told you what number mint box contains the holy grail of the WDDR 006 with the die crack on both sides of the coin.

By the way I myself will never open that roll that I have as I will sell it unopened.

I really feel that that roll should be preserved.

It has a slight roller mark on it from the rolling machine so I doubt if it will grade high and I don.t need to find out if there are more like it in the roll as I have a few others already graded .
  • Options
    By the way, has everybody made their "PEST"call or email to PCGS and NGC yet?

We need to keep after them to honor what they promised!
  • Options

Ya, been going back through the thread. slowly.. gone back 30+ pages so far. lucky it is a slow day at work. image

my partial list so far...

4/15 early morning
    4/16 10:26

4/16 WDDR 013
    4/17,27,28,29 - WDDR 001, WDDR 002
    4/23 WDDR 006

only 120+ more pages to go!

• Options
    I'm sorry i don't have the answer. Hopefully, someone will chime in to help you further.image

• Options
    Ehen you get done with this thread there are others from earlier. I have been part of these other threads since they first stsrted in 2009. Great info for anyone just starting on them. It's instant education on what we have been learning for the last 6 years,imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Ya, been going back through the thread. slowly.. gone back 30+ pages so far. lucky it is a slow day at work. image

4/15 early morning

4/16 WDDR 013
    4/23 WDDR 006

only 120+ more pages to go! >>

What are you looking for? maybe a simple question can be answered by one of us or are you possibly just looking to try and stock up on boxes for the future like many of us have. Kris
    I was a Monkey
  • Options

<< <i>Ya, been going back through the thread. slowly.. gone back 30+ pages so far. lucky it is a slow day at work. image

4/15 early morning

4/16 WDDR 013
    4/23 WDDR 006

only 120+ more pages to go! >>

You basically have all the key dates for the LP2 boxes.

The mint 50 roll boxes are another story altogether.

• Options
    Are we having a good day double die hunters?
  • Options
    OK, now its official, Whitman has finally announced the cherry pickers guide book today EVERYBODY needs to email or call PCGS and NGC.

Let them know they need to fulfill their promise that some of these great coins will be recognized once the cpg recognizes them.

We need to hit them hard, I already have my part in this but me alone will not get the job done.

PLEASE!
  • Options

I'm a little surprised that PCGS hasn't commented yet. They are certainly aware of the new CPG and its highlighting of these doubled dies on the very cover of the book... I sent them an email but there's been no response yet.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm here. I sent some in a long time ago just to have them holders and now just waiting. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    They have not responded to me either but they sure know I have made my thoughts known to them.

Come on guys let them know how you feel, it only takes a few minutes.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm here. I sent some in a long time ago just to have them holders and now just waiting. image >>

We all need to get after them, if you are waiting for something to happen then most likely it will not.
  • Options

<< <i>We all need to get after them, if you are waiting for something to happen then most likely it will not. >>

CHARGE!!!! TAKE NO PRISONERS!!!! imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    LET'S GO!!! imageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimage

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• Options
    Just do it! I like that.
  • Options
    It is nice to see the 6 wddr's in the new CPG but I am totally shocked that the WDDR 006 did not make the book as it is the rarest of all of them.
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭
    There are more DDRs in the book; that's just a sample page.

• Options
    I love the sample page.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does this mean I should send Anacs some to grade?
  • Options
    Did you notice that on Wexler's site he is already putting the CPG FS#'s on them. The WDDR006 is Cherrypickers: FS-01-2009-808.
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    The WDDR002 that is on the cover is labeled Cherrypickers: FS-01-2009-803 .
    This is going places quickly. Kris
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    I don't know what to tell you on that Jesse. Look at my prices on ebay and what I am getting for mine.

I have been selling mine for several years and have multiple repeat customers that don't require me to sell them on ebay.

You need to do a bulk submission to make it worthwhile as who knows what is going to happen once everyone starts getting them graded.

I got mine done for around $12 each total and you might not be able to get that now.

PCGS has stated to me in the past that they would graded these but it will be for more money even if submitted in bulk but on the other hand you could sell them for more money.

I keep hounding PCGS about grading them but they are non-committable at this time but that could change overnight.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know what to tell you on that Jesse. Look at my prices on ebay and what I am getting for mine.

I have been selling mine for several years and have multiple repeat customers that don't require me to sell them on ebay.

You need to do a bulk submission to make it worthwhile as who knows what is going to happen once everyone starts getting them graded.

I got mine done for around $12 each total and you might not be able to get that now.

PCGS has stated to me in the past that they would graded these but it will be for more money even if submitted in bulk but on the other hand you could sell them for more money.

I keep hounding PCGS about grading them but they are non-committable at this time but that could change overnight. >>

I emailed Miles last week and PCGS will not take these in bulk and I offered to get several hundred graded.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy, I have a lot of these sealed & stowed away and ignored. It may be difficult to locate them all as it has been years since purchase.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    I have seen an up-tick in sales ever since the CPG was even mentioned.
  • Options

<< <i>I have seen an up-tick in sales ever since the CPG was even mentioned. >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't know what to tell you on that Jesse. Look at my prices on ebay and what I am getting for mine.

I keep hounding PCGS about grading them but they are non-committable at this time but that could change overnight. >>

I emailed Miles last week and PCGS will not take these in bulk and I offered to get several hundred graded. >>

That is more than I have been able to get out of them recently. About 2 years ago I was offered a deal from PCGS if I would grade 1000 of the same coin they would do it for $18 a coin but I did not have $18 K around at the time.
  • Options

<< <i>Did you notice that on Wexler's site he is already putting the CPG FS#'s on them. The WDDR006 is Cherrypickers: FS-01-2009-808. >>

There are still only 7 varieties that have a CPG number.
    They are:
    WDDR 001
    WDDR 002
    WDDR 006
    WDDR 016
    WDDR 025
    WDDR 043
    WDDR 050

The WDDR's other than those worth keeping an eye on are:
    WDDR 014
    WDDR 051
    WDDR 062

Letterman is not the only one to have a top 10 and I like mine a lot better than his any day.
  • Options
    Does anybody know how to get the ANACS cert verif page to work? Or does it just not work and is otherwise incomplete? The cert verification page pulls up nothing for several coins when entering in the cert #. Specifically, I was entering in known cert numbers for the 2009 proof DDR's and got nothing but the number 390 in the zero column.
  • Options
    I tried to get it to come up but could not remember how I used to do it.
  • Options
    I have noticed more and more of the WDDR's showing up on ebay in circulated condition and they look nasty.

They are not from LP2 sets but bank boxes that were distributed in places like Wal Mart.

The only one that is like the LP2 is the WDDR 006 which is different in the fact they are stage "D" and "E" of the skeleton finger which are much more rare.
  • Options
    I'm looking seriously at bank boxes again but have not pulled the trigger yet. It's difficult to know that I have to start all over again since the burglary and I can't afford, #1 spending a lot of money or #2 having the nasty thought of these guys coming

back again and stealing any new acquisitions. So, I'm still riding the fence about accumulating and having to spend the hours upon hours necessary to go through the rolls scouting for significant error coins. I know that most of the bank boxes out there

are going to shoot blanks so I'm imagining having to go through five to ten boxes before finding something worthwhile. If I do the math I may just not even start. Collecting however is not always about the math. That's what drives me toward taking a

second chance at having a nice collection of the 2009 Wddr's. Whatever I decide to do I will enjoy the few remaining samples I have and look forward to seeing the new CPG and what influence it has finally on the appreciation of these doubled dies in the

eyes of those less enthusiastic collectors from the past few years, PCGS and NGC's acknowledgement by labeling them as doubled dies, and what values ultimately are realized in the future.

In the meantime doubled die-hards a doubled thumbs up to ya! imageimage
  • Options
    I know it is real hard to find a good bank box now 6 years from them coming out but they do exist and with a little luck you will come across some. You have done very well in the past so I will keep my fingers crossed for you and every other double die hunter.:ThumbsUp:image
  • Options

<< <i>The only one that is like the LP2 is the WDDR 006 which is different in the fact they are stage "D" and "E" of the skeleton finger which are much more rare. >>

I picked up a Wddr-006 stage D (small die crack from rim to top of "A" in "States") with the Wddo-002 stage F (large die crack from rim though Lincoln's vest) recently on the bay as a raw coin. Probably would grade in the ms65 red range but has very little

spotting so I'm pretty stoked. This, as Pitboss would tell you, is the second rarest of all of the 006's. Unfortunately the seller only had the one in his inventory. As I said in my last post I don't know how much time or money I want to invest in these again

but when you see something special come up for sale, you just hope you push the buy it now button first. I also picked up an 014 from him in a nice ms66+ red condition. Buying raw can always be a little risky but the price was low enough to feel

comfortable about it. Well, I just had to share a positive story with you. I hope you have great luck in your searches as well! imageimage
  • Options
    Always good to hear great stories like that. These great coins are out there for sure so keep your ewes open.:ThumbsUpimage
  • Options
    I'm just a little surprised there's not more chatter on this thread than there is. The new CPG is on the horizon. Where is all of the new blood that should be turning a watchful eye, asking questions, sharing their newfound enthusiasm,

and generally catching up on these doubled dies? Are these still considered sleepers in the world of numismatics? Has PCGS or NGC made any announcements yet regarding labeling these doubled dies? If not, is that the cause for the

quiet before the proverbial storm?
  • Options
    There will not be much happening until after the CPG comes out as the only place this book is really being announced is here on the forum and most of the people here are not that interested in these errors. They are the type that spend $1400 for a gold coin or perhaps 50 of them and hope to make a killing while we deal in pennies. We have waited 6 years for this book so I guess another 2 months is not going to kill us.

I am still selling a few every week so am doing pretty good while I await the CPG.

PCGS and NGC are not going to do anything until there is a demand for them to do something and I have tried my best but can not do it alone.imageimage
  • Options
    It's been a long wait to finally see these make it into the light. I've been in these since the word go. Thanks to a lot of you here the CPG has finally recognized them and we true die hards will soon have our day. Kris
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    Less than 2 months now!imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file