Options

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Hammer we still love you.
    The pump error is a good error but is in an entirely different category then the 09 cents, It is more on the line of the Wisconsin extra leafs. I love the Wisc coins too and have some as I have some of the pump handles. I really feel the 09's appeal to collectors because they are more affordable for collectors than either of the other two. The Wisconsin's have dropped severely in price over the pas few years and the same thing will happen to the pump handles as they are owned by relatively few people who have bought up all the good bags of them already whereas the 09's are still available to everyone.
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pitboss a bigger issue than which error is better, was the dilemma of whether you would get another cat.

That baby bring you more pleasure than 1,000 WDDR-006 MS-69's.

Am I right?
  • Options
    I do agree with you there. He is 2 years old now and very lovable.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting dialog. One of the things about this thread I like are the reality checks along the way. It's a big coin world and everyone has their preferences and reasons.

I think the reason I appreciate the Formatives is they can actually be found by the average collector in the wild -- and yes there are enough to go around to make that possible. This is where I think the doubled thumbs and sixth fingers will be great finds for young and old collectors.

I searched though 50 rolls of quarters seeking the 2009 ddr and nary found a thing. Hi low leafs too. Others as well. I liken it to finding wheaties in my change as a kid and plugging them in my cent album. (I still get a smile when one comes through!)

Enjoy the thrill of the hunt to all!
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    Hi Akbeez, hows the weather up in your neck of the woods?

I too searched many rolls of Wisconsin's and never found one extra leaf in the wild in spite of 2 trips to Arizona for as many rolls as I could find.

The pump handles are as hard to come by in the wild.

Anybody can afford to buy rolls of pennies and there are plenty of these errors that escaped detection and are out there just waiting to be discovered.

imageimage
  • Options
    Here is my Two-Bit Thoughts concerning the very collectable 2009 FY DDR's and the almost available CPG. First, for the error cents to have standing power in the marketplace, some dealer or strong accumulator needs to promote the heck out of the coins. I remember the three Tucson, AZ dealers who jointly advertised the WI varieties back in 2005. In 2/05, they had a Full page ad introducing their scarce coins to the Numismatic World. Yes, there isn't any WI promotions going on and even Ebay prices have hit the skids. Think of it as a "buying opportunity" for the believers. Typical of most Modern Coins; regardless of short term high prices and demand, odds are that the marketplace will have more "rare error coins" than the market can absorb over time. I would not get "married" to these neat errors. Future error coins will come along. But, what do I know ?? Mark.
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    Hi Mark,

Always glad for your 2 cents worth.

You probably know more about error coins than all of us put together.
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Still going through the bank box today. A couple of nice finds. One that kind of took me by surprise. I found two 006's today (now three total) in this box. The surprise was that one of them had a stage "D" reverse (small die crack rim to top of A in

States) but had the stage F obverse (large die crack/break rim through upper vest) . So I have found a stage just before the final stage of the reverse but already on the final stage on the obverse. That means the obverse die actually failed before the

reverse but they kept using it until the reverse die failed (the holy grail coin) I have found two Wddo-002 stage F with no skeleton finger reverse in this box also (which means they replaced the failed reverse die but continued to use the failed obverse die

for awhile longer) so I'm getting a good tutorial of stages. With any luck I'll come across the final stage of both sides to complete this story. It's the first time, like I said to Pitboss earlier, that I've ever found these in the wild. Fun times!
  • Options
    As I have said in the past, these coins are still out there and those that continue to look for them will find them.imageimage
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that in a year or so these will be all but be forgotten. When the new CPG comes out and PCGS recognizes them a few hundred will flood the market WELL beyond the saturation level. A few high grade examples will be very marketable while 99%+ will yield loses to the submitters who will be left holding the bag so to speak. PCGS will be the only ones who make money on these from the lemmings and inexperienced who will submit mass quantities of average quality examples in the first few months following recognition. THOUSANDS of these exist in MS64-MS66 grades which will sell for less than PCGS fees to grade them. You can be a believer until the day you die but these coins are nothing more than interesting, common pocket change. They are a very fun and very cheap way to collect varieties and are good for the hobby. But if you believe these are going to make you money or are going to become wildly popular you are sadly mistaken. The glory days have come and gone and these are headed toward the fate bestowed on so many modern anomalies............a numismatic footnote in coin history. I several high grade examples (ANACS 67's) of all the upcoming CPG varieties FWIW. ANACS was probably the biggest winner of all in this "mania."
  • Options

<< <i>I suspect that in a year or so these will be all but be forgotten. When the new CPG comes out and PCGS recognizes them a few hundred will flood the market WELL beyond the saturation level. A few high grade examples will be very marketable while 99%+ will yield loses to the submitters who will be left holding the bag so to speak. PCGS will be the only ones who make money on these from the lemmings and inexperienced who will submit mass quantities of average quality examples in the first few months following recognition. THOUSANDS of these exist in MS64-MS66 grades which will sell for less than PCGS fees to grade them. You can be a believer until the day you die but these coins are nothing more than interesting, common pocket change. They are a very fun and very cheap way to collect varieties and are good for the hobby. But if you believe these are going to make you money or are going to become wildly popular you are sadly mistaken. The glory days have come and gone and these are headed toward the fate bestowed on so many modern anomalies............a numismatic footnote in coin history. I several high grade examples (ANACS 67's) of all the upcoming CPG varieties FWIW. ANACS was probably the biggest winner of all in this "mania." >>

Well put, and maybe accurate? I don't plan on submitted as suggested. Just will let market go at will. Let's see.

Cheers!

And, per Pitboss's inquiry, fall is here and coin time!!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    Fall is my favorite time of year here too. The balloons are flying every day and interest starts up again in coins after the kids go back to school and vacations are over. PCGS and NGC have missed the boat on these errors I think. Anacs has been the big winner in my opinion as I have had many hundreds graded by them myself alone. I at this time will not grade any more as I have a good enough supply of them on hand already and most people have been very happy with what Anacs has done with them.
  • Options
    The CPG is supposed to start shipping on the 22nd according to their press release.

I intend to celebrate that by listing 10 of my 4/23 boxes over the next few weeks after the 22nd to allow some of the new people access to the king of 2009 errors.

I just picked up five 4/23 boxes this week when someone emailed me and asked me if I wanted them so I have an abundance of them and don't mind sharing if people really want to get some.

I have not been looking at what has been on ebay lately but I hear there has not been too much.

Will some of you start listing now and if you do are you going to give them away like what i have seen so far?
  • Options
    Has anyone here found a wddr-062? I like them and I've done a lot of searching through the years but never come across any. Were they found in Lp2 boxes or bank boxes?
  • Options
    Those were found in bank boxes.
    I never found any either.
    I only had 2 of them and 1 graded at MS67.
  • Options
    The funny thing is I never see them (the 062's) offered on Ebay. Well, I guess I just have to keep an eye out and search a few more bank boxes.
  • Options
    Here's one for you 321862543627
  • Options

<< <i>Here's one for you 321862543627 >>

Yes, I saw that one before. The problem I have with this seller's listing (and all of his listings for these errors) is that he chooses not to show the actual coin and instructs you to visit Wexler's page for the description of the error. I want to see the

actual coin, obverse and reverse, to determine its condition (as much as possible) before I spend my money. I'll wait to find some in the wild or wait until a seller shows the actual coin for sale and has a good price. Thanks, though, for looking out.
  • Options
    He never shows the actual coin he is selling.
  • Options
    Well, we are less than a week away from the scheduled ship date of the CPG guys.

imageimage
  • Options
    Shipment of the CPG is ON TIME.
    We should start getting our books next week!

I will start the celebration this evening by listing 2 of my 10 sets of 4/23 LP 2 sets that I have promised everyone that I would sell.

For anyone that does not know what those are they are the boxes that possibly contain the king of these errors, the WDDR 006.

I will do these in 3 to 7 day intervals.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    First 2 sets are now on ebay under stephen1327.
  • Options
    I'm thinking of cracking open a few more lp2 boxes I have layin around. Try to get a few more in holders to keep them pristine, and maybe a few more high graded ones. I'd still like to get this one 001 graded that I think may get a 68 grade. Plus I'm down to just one more box that should have about 4 of the 002 with the obv struck thru. Hope to get another 66 or higher out of those. Kris
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    Now you need to make up your mind if you want to use the high prices of our host or if you want to go with Anacs for under $20.

PCGS will be grading these things as soon as they get their copy of the CPG.

I will be very surprised if any more of these coins get a 68 grade.

Look at mine on ebay and compare yours to them.

I thought I would get some for sure out of the ones I sent in but got none.

The CPG books were supposed to have arrived at Whitman today so hopefully they will be distributed next week.
  • Options
    PCGS has graded 6406 MS65, 2408 MS66 and 7 MS67 in the last 6 years. Some of the Best roll and Mint set hunters have been thru 100's of thousands of 2009 Formative Years Lincolns. I will bet dollars to doughnuts ZERO of these varieties grade MS67 at PCGS. As I have stated numerous times before, a ANACS MS67 will NEVER, EVER grade PCGS 67. The ANACS 67's I have are mostly 65 material at our host. Don't waste your money sending any of these varieties to ANACS. If you really believe you have SUPERB and non-spotted examples then send them to PCGS at this point. But be prepared to lose your investment after you get mostly 65 and lower PCGS slabs. If you want PCGS graded examples just wait a couple months. The hundreds, if not thousands that will be submitted will be going for peanuts on eBay (MS64-MS66;s). The first few 66's to hit the market may do ok but this thin market will quickly be over saturated. Just my opinion of course but I will be the one to TTT this thread after it goes dormant in a year or so.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS has graded 6406 MS65, 2408 MS66 and 7 MS67 in the last 6 years. Some of the Best roll and Mint set hunters have been thru 100's of thousands of 2009 Formative Years Lincolns. I will bet dollars to doughnuts ZERO of these varieties grade MS67 at PCGS. As I have stated numerous times before, a ANACS MS67 will NEVER, EVER grade PCGS 67. The ANACS 67's I have are mostly 65 material at our host. Don't waste your money sending any of these varieties to ANACS. If you really believe you have SUPERB and non-spotted examples then send them to PCGS at this point. But be prepared to lose your investment after you get mostly 65 and lower PCGS slabs. If you want PCGS graded examples just wait a couple months. The hundreds, if not thousands that will be submitted will be going for peanuts on eBay (MS64-MS66;s). The first few 66's to hit the market may do ok but this thin market will quickly be over saturated. Just my opinion of course but I will be the one to TTT this thread after it goes dormant in a year or so. >>

PCGS will not attribute the variety so good luck.
  • Options
    Sorry to inform you Jesse but I was told they will.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>PCGS has graded 6406 MS65, 2408 MS66 and 7 MS67 in the last 6 years. Some of the Best roll and Mint set hunters have been thru 100's of thousands of 2009 Formative Years Lincolns. I will bet dollars to doughnuts ZERO of these varieties grade MS67 at PCGS. As I have stated numerous times before, a ANACS MS67 will NEVER, EVER grade PCGS 67. The ANACS 67's I have are mostly 65 material at our host. Don't waste your money sending any of these varieties to ANACS. If you really believe you have SUPERB and non-spotted examples then send them to PCGS at this point. But be prepared to lose your investment after you get mostly 65 and lower PCGS slabs. If you want PCGS graded examples just wait a couple months. The hundreds, if not thousands that will be submitted will be going for peanuts on eBay (MS64-MS66;s). The first few 66's to hit the market may do ok but this thin market will quickly be over saturated. Just my opinion of course but I will be the one to TTT this thread after it goes dormant in a year or so. >>

PCGS will not attribute the variety so good luck. >>

You are correct. I should have said after the new CPG comes out. So we are a month or so away before they will officially grade and recognize them. Once the book is released I'd guess it would take them a few weeks to get them on the books so to speak.
  • Options
    You are right, it will not happen overnight but it will happen.
  • Options

You may have a legitimate point as to the keen eye of our host in their grading skills, but to automatically drop an ANACS 67 to a 65 may be a bit much. As for the saturation you speak of will be of many different varieties and not just a saturation of just one 001 as an example. The true amount of any single variety is still unknown but it is certain that their are far less than you are making it out to be. Take the skeleton finger variety for example, you really think there is going to be a massive number of say 10,000 graded by our host in 65 or lower flooding the market? If so, you are mistaken. I do agree that sending only my best quality examples to our host is best and not to submit a bulk order and just get what I get. That would be foolish. In my eyes our host shouldn't be that bad on these, but like you, this is yet my own opinion also. Kris
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    Hi Kris,
    My 67's that are graded by ANACS will stand tall in respects to grading.

Anacs was very critical grading these 09 cents and if you don't believe me just take a look at the ones I have on ebay under stephen1327.

The fields are clear with no spots and no other marks in most cases.

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>

You may have a legitimate point as to the keen eye of our host in their grading skills, but to automatically drop an ANACS 67 to a 65 may be a bit much. As for the saturation you speak of will be of many different varieties and not just a saturation of just one 001 as an example. The true amount of any single variety is still unknown but it is certain that their are far less than you are making it out to be. Take the skeleton finger variety for example, you really think there is going to be a massive number of say 10,000 graded by our host in 65 or lower flooding the market? If so, you are mistaken. I do agree that sending only my best quality examples to our host is best and not to submit a bulk order and just get what I get. That would be foolish. In my eyes our host shouldn't be that bad on these, but like you, this is yet my own opinion also. Kris >>

I am not attacking anyone who collects these. I am trying to inject some objectivity into a thread full of Cheerleaders. There are tens of thousands of each of these varieties and nearly all survive and are near gem examples. The Lincoln variety market is a very thinly traded market and to flood the market it will only take 50 to 75 examples of any variety and I may be high in that guessetimate! There are less than 25 serious Modern variety Registry sets at PCGS. DO the math! And as far as ANACS 67's go, the market speaks for itself! Try selling a a couple MS67's in a no reserve auction on eBay. You will lose your shirt! ANACS is great at attributing and grading classic coins while grading Modern coins......well lets just say they are a bit liberal. I look forward the this variety getting into the CPG finally!! It deserves that honor. But it is no 1955 or 1969 Doubled die!!! Good luck to those submittors of this variety. I hope we have some members that are brave enough to post their grades when the time comes. I will post mine.......if I end up sending any in!! EDIT for grammer.
  • Options
    Believe me when I tell you that they are nearly all gem coins.

I have found very few that are in that category.

PCGS will only allow a few of them to be graded as there are only a few that have made the CPG.

The bulk of the errors are very small and are not even interesting.

The good errors are not like the Minnesota varieties that were a waste of time and money.

The good ones that have CPG numbers like the WDDR 001,002,006, 025 and 043 are really nice errors.

The 002 will not do well because there are so many of them but the rest should do well.

Spots and mint gouges are very common on these cents and are un-attractive so the clear fields really stand out on the good ones.

• Options
    I understand Manorcourtman that you have a very valid point that there is very little interest in the market at the moment for these. The grades will be difficult to get in 67's from our host, but not unattainable. Pitboss has some nice coins I would believe to get high grades, as do I. My 001 which is not graded yet should really fair well in our hosts plastic. There will be a lot that do not get graded cause like you said losing your shirt would be the case, but for those that do get the correct coins in and graded high will do good in their return. A lot and I mean A LOT of these coins had tons of scratches, gouges, spots, and dings making them basically a novelty or just something to spend so someone can find it in their pocket change. I hope we all can do good in our attempts of receiving the mother of all grades of a MS68 in one of the top ones of these varieties. Good luck to everyone. Kris
    I was a Monkey
  • Options

<< <i>Believe me when I tell you that they are nearly all gem coins.

I have found very few that are in that category.

PCGS will only allow a few of them to be graded as there are only a few that have made the CPG.

The bulk of the errors are very small and are not even interesting.

The good errors are not like the Minnesota varieties that were a waste of time and money.

The good ones that have CPG numbers like the WDDR 001,002,006, 025 and 043 are really nice errors.

The 002 will not do well because there are so many of them but the rest should do well.

Spots and mint gouges are very common on these cents and are un-attractive so the clear fields really stand out on the good ones. >>

I believe that the Die life for modern Zincoln's is 50,000+. So even though some seem tough there are lots yets to be discovered although some may be in circulation by now. Maybe a die expert could chime in on die life of Modern Lincolns.
  • Options
    I know that the ones that were in LP 2 rolls in most cases except for the 006 were not found in mint boxes so probably did not get into circulation.

The 006 was found in mint boxes and I know a lot of them were in circulation as were a lot of others so if it is 50K for die life that is not really a lot but if they are all uncirculated that is another thing.

That is where the 001 and 002 come in as all the LP 2 boxes are still out there.

I am fasinated by the progression of the 006 as it progresses through the different stages to even after the reverse of the die broke and became just a large die crack wjth the WDDO 002 on the obverse.
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    I can't believe that there is enough info. for 160 pages. WOW
  • Options
    Read thru them you will be even more amazed!
  • Options
    There is finally one person awake out there on those 2 4/23 boxes!
  • Options

<< <i>There is finally one person awake out there on those 2 4/23 boxes! >>

Those two boxes should have between 8 and 14 006's in them total for both boxes so they are probably worth between $80 and $140 for both together.
  • Options

<< <i>There is finally one person awake out there on those 2 4/23 boxes! >>

If these are listed on Ebay...I don't see them. Item #?
  • Options
    Item # 161828767210
  • Options
    Ok Steve, got it but it's no wonder I couldn't find it...it doesn't say Lp2 in the title which is what I use as a key search word. Looks like you'll do well with them. Good luck.
  • Options
    My bad on that one!
  • Options
    Good Grief -- $201.99 for those LP2 boxes! Is that a record price? Congrat's PB!

• Options
    Thank you. I put 2 more on there tonight and already have a bid.
  • Options
    Results show there is plenty of interest in the 09 cents no matter what the nay-sayers have to say.
    The 2 4/23 boxes I had on ebay this week drew 89 watchers but only 3 bidders because I started the auction off at $110.
    I started yesterday's auction at $99.99 and already have 1 bid and 30 watchers so most people right now are reluctant to bid over $100 for these coins yet.
    I have sold over 120 of the WDDR 006's in MS 67 so far and they are a hot item.
    I hear reports that Whitman has started shipping the CPG this week but that has not been confirmed.
    We shall see what happens when that hits the street.
    imageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Hmmm. I think I have somewhere around 25 of the 4/23 boxes, maybe more for all I know. I have a few rolls of the 006's laying around somewhere too. Maybe I should get them graded but I probably missed an opportunity to make the early market. I guess I'm just Luke warm on these or too lazy/busy to deal with them right now.

Makes me happy to have purchased 10 of the 4/23 boxes for $10 each about two years ago off eBay.

If PCGS got in the game I would probably go that route to get them graded. I wish they would let me submit them in bulk too, I would send in over 500 coins for the varieties listed in the CPG.

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I hear reports that Whitman has started shipping the CPG this week but that has not been confirmed.
    >>

I can confirm that CPG-6-I will start shipping out of our Florence, Alabama, warehouse this week.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file