Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    I hear reports that Whitman has started shipping the CPG this week but that has not been confirmed.
    >>

I can confirm that CPG-6-I will start shipping out of our Florence, Alabama, warehouse this week. >>

Can you tell me if the 1953 Proof Penny with Engraved Coat lapel made this issue? Thanks...Enjoyimage
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can you tell me if the 1953 Proof Penny with Engraved Coat lapel made this issue? Thanks...Enjoyimage >>

It did. It did, indeed.

It's listed as FS-01-1953-402.

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmm. I think I have somewhere around 25 of the 4/23 boxes, maybe more for all I know. I have a few rolls of the 006's laying around somewhere too. Maybe I should get them graded but I probably missed an opportunity to make the early market. I guess I'm just Luke warm on these or too lazy/busy to deal with them right now.

Makes me happy to have purchased 10 of the 4/23 boxes for $10 each about two years ago off eBay.

If PCGS got in the game I would probably go that route to get them graded. I wish they would let me submit them in bulk too, I would send in over 500 coins for the varieties listed in the CPG. >>

You should be getting them ready to submit to PCGS if that is what you want to do. They will be grading these shortly and the early bird gets the worm. Have them packed up and ready to go or delivered if you live close to PCGS.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At $40 a coin minimum, i'm not sure it would be worth it for a regular PCGS submission.
  • Options
    If you are the first one out there with them they will sell. My advise is for you to look over all your 006's and pick your best ones out for grading. These coins have been a money maker with Anacs and if you have the same quality coins as I did you will do well. Look at my MS67's for guidance on the grading or if you don't want to do that I will gladly take them off your hands as I believe I have told you before.
  • Options
    Can you post a pic of the 67 here or PM it

• Options
    I'm not good at posting pictures.

How about listing # 161829902535.

There are 10 different MS 67 listings on that one.
  • Options
    My CPG is in the mail with a Monday Sept 28th delivery date.imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>My CPG is in the mail with a Monday Sept 28th delivery date.imageimage >>

Congrats
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    mine hasn't shipped yet from Amazon image I guess I can wait....image
  • Options
    From what I understand Amazon orders will not ship until after Whitman's orders do.
  • Options
    probably true but there's really no hurry. as long as PCGS and NGC receive theirs image
  • Options
    I want everybody to get them so we can get these things going.

My listing with the 2 4/23 boxes has a bunch of watchers.

i wonder if these watchers are going to make snipe bids at the last second like they did on the last set of 2 boxes I sold Tuesday.

The buyer said he was happy with them.
  • Options
    I'm not sure people bidding know what they are bidding on, or at least how many errors they should get in a box. I wonder how much I'd get if I sold all my sealed boxes with a bunch of pomp and circumstance!

I went threw a box last night for a date I hadn't looked through before, they were purchased getting other boxes. I found some 005 and die cracks
  • Options
    People on ebay looking for these errors watch very closely for certain date boxes and will bid accordingly.

All of us know what to expect out of each date and time.

Good dated and time boxes will be bid up.

You have been wavering back and forth for several years on what you want to do with the ones you have.

Hold them until you see what happens and then make your decision I guess.

Good luck guy.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    So with all of the P-mint rolls getting busted, what are ya'll doing with all those D rolls? Spending them?

Kind of funny that the Philly mint had such a problem hubbing these and Denver had none . . .

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    Denver had a few minor errors but nothing that interested me.

I sold about four or five hundred of those "D" rolls early on for decent money but now I just take them to the bank.
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭
    So unless there is a collectors club special, it is $16 for Modern plus $18 for Variety, total $34 (plus shipping/insurance)?
  • Options
    That is not bad considering what you will get for them on ebay.
  • Options

<< <i>Hold them until you see what happens and then make your decision I guess.

Good luck guy. >>

I'll figure something out. I'll give PCGS another shout out when they start grading them and see if I can get a volume discount on 500+ error coins or something. That would be some motivation to open some more boxes.

Good luck friend.
  • Options
    For that kind of volume they should give you a discount especially if you make it 100 of each variety that you send in. I would recommend 100 WDDR 001, 100 WDDR 002, 100 WDDR 006, 100 WDDR 025, and 100 WDDR 043 for the 500 you send in.
  • Options
    Today's the day my CPG is to arrive. Yea!

The first 4 of my 4/23 boxes went to a new collector of these great coins and he is leading in the rase for the 3rd of the 5 sets of 2 boxes. I guess he is the most serious one wanting these boxes.
  • Options
    Cool, your hard work is paying off. image
  • Options

<< <i>For that kind of volume they should give you a discount especially if you make it 100 of each variety that you send in. I would recommend 100 WDDR 001, 100 WDDR 002, 100 WDDR 006, 100 WDDR 025, and 100 WDDR 043 for the 500 you send in. >>

I don't have any that came from bank boxes so it will have to be 1,2, and 6.
  • Options
    PM sent
  • Options
    My book just arrived and it looks like I am way to low on my MS67's.

The pictures inside feature the 001,002 and 006 from LP 2 sets and 014, 016, 025, 043 and 050 from mint boxes. The Proof 001 is also featured with the PR 67 at $350. What would my PR 69 be worth?

The MS 65 in all the others is $40.00 with no mention of the higher grades.
  • Options

<< <i>My book just arrived and it looks like I am way to low on my MS67's.

The pictures inside feature the 001,002 and 006 from LP 2 sets and 014, 016, 025, 043 and 050 from mint boxes. The Proof 001 is also featured with the PR 67 at $350. What would my PR 69 be worth?

The MS 65 in all the others is $40.00 with no mention of the higher grades. >>

I wonder which coins are more common, the ones in the bank boxes or the ones in the LP2 sets.. The world may never know.
  • Options
    The LP 2 numbers are limited by the dates that you can find them like the WDDR001 and 002 are in multiple date boxes.

The WDDR 006 is in one dat of LP2 but it is also found in mint boxes so your guess is as good as mine I guess.

The errors from mint boxes were widely distributed and a lot of them went into circulation.

You are right that we will never know.
  • Options
    I thought that I would chime in on the LP2 boxed cents from the USM that sold at a large premium over face value. IMHO I would say that most of the Mint LP2 boxed 2009 P/D cent rolls were saved from circulation. Furthermore, with the world of collectors seeing the CPG varieties/values, you may start to see the premium FY variety coins from LP2 boxes coming on to Ebay in groves. That is my take. Have a great day reading and studying the NEW CPG !! Mark.
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad the CPG is now circulating -- BUT.

I only got shipping info today, along with the HEFTY total of $43.90 (no discount for early birds), $13.95 shipping for MEDIA Mail to Alaska. My expected arrival date is Oct 13!

WOW
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    Somehow my early bird flew the coup and my order got lost but i called them last thursday and they mailed a copy out to me which I received yesterday with the 2 page spread of the 09's.

They did a great job on them.

Congrats to Dennis Tucker and everyone involved at Whitman on this project.
  • Options
    I got my CP guide today, a little underwhelming. FS-803, 804, and 806 might as well be the same coin, there isn't much difference between the three. I also decided to crack open a roll out of two bank boxes i had laying around. I looked at one roll each a few years ago, didn't find anything, and put them away. One roll had several of the WDDR-009 varieties, but doesn't look like those are worth selling.
  • Options
    The DDR 002 is the WDDR 001 found in different LP2 boxes.
    The DDR 050 is the WDDR 050 found in mint boxes only.
    The DDR 021 is the WDDR 014 found in mint boxes only.
    The DDR 043 is the WDDR o43 found in mint boxes only.
    The DDR 001 is the WDDR 002 found in found in many LP2 boxes.
    The DDR 026 is the WDDR 025 found in mint boxes only.
    The DDR 012 is the WDDR 016 found in mint boxes only.
    The DDR 009 is the WDDR 006 is found in LP 4/23 boxes only and in mint boxes that were mostly put in circulation so and all those have varying stages of die cracks.
    The DDR 003 is actually the PR 001 and is very limited in production.

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gotta bunch of the Lp2 boxes. So, I hope your right. What do you expect to pay if you were to find one for sale, I ask?
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    I have enough already and do not expect to buy any as the price for good dated boxes is more than I am to pay right now.

What are the dates and times on your boxes?

A lot of people have LP2 boxes as there were a ton of them made but not many contain the errors.

Most of the good errors did not come from LP2 boxes.
  • Options
    I would like to thank all the bidders on those 10 boxes of 4/23 that I have sold over the past couple of weeks.

I hope everybody finds lots of 006's in them.
  • Options
    Now that the CPG is out isn't it time for Papi to come out and play again? Where is one of the most prolific and strong contributors to this thread? C'mon Papi, let us get your take on the latest developments regarding these errors. We miss you!

Congrats to Pitboss on setting a new price record on the Lp2 4/23 boxes.

Has anyone heard anything definitive from PCGS or NGC regarding labeling these errors on their slabs?

I'm still looking for good-date boxes and occasionally searching through bank boxes but finding things are getting more thin by the day. I'll continue the search though because I'm the eternal optimist! imageimage

Carry on doubled die-hards!
  • Options
    Papi is still around my friend but just chooses to not be part of this thread.

He is still collecting these coins and just putting them away for now.

I am too old to do that and am enjoying selling them while I still can.

imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Papi is still advertising on the BST for these great coins.

He still knows a winner when he sees one.
  • Options

<< <i>Papi is still around my friend but just chooses to not be part of this thread. >>

what a shame and wasted knowledge that he could have used to help build and encourage new collectors to take note of these like he did in the beginning of this thread. good luck Papi!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, still waiting to hear an official announcement from PCGS and NGC on labeling these errors....I really thought that finally, with the CPG as the ultimate influence, they'd instantly recognize them and maybe even have Don

Willis come onto this thread to let us know they heard us and welcome us to begin submissions.
  • Options
    Don and PCGS know these error exist and will make the announcement in due time.
  • Options

<< <i>Don and PCGS know these error exist and will make the announcement in due time. >>

Haha...thanks for the update and insight image
  • Options
    The CPG 2 page spread has created a lot of interest in these great coins even though here on the forum everybody seems to be holding to a wait and see attitude.

I don't hold that attitude and my sales have shown the results.imageimage
  • Options
    Entered on the "did you receive your new CPG" thread:

<< <i>
    All varieties from the new CP guide were added by PCGS this week, and since have recognized some of the new varieties. Submit away. >>

Is this real? Has there been an official announcement?
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where does one find the PCGS numbers for the varieties? The only place I can find them is in the registry sets, and if they are not listed yet, the new numbers would not show up.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    I tried calling them and the girl answering the phone said she has not received anything in writing yet so she did not know.
  • Options
    There must be someone here that knows somebody there that can get the info we need.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭
    All the info coin numbers are listed in Coinfacts now. Go to 2009 Formative Years and you will see varieties for the date. When you click on it you will see all the new FS numbers. Click on the FS numbers and you will see their numbers. It's all there!!
  • Options
    Do you have to be a coinfacts member to get this info or can someone put a link up for us stupid people like me that does not know how to do these things?
  • Options

<< <i>Do you have to be a coinfacts member to get this info or can someone put a link up for us stupid people like me that does not know how to do these things? >>

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/407830

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file