Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

1626364656668»

Comments

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

is anyone still buying these? i'm trying to figure out if the U09 sets had any errors in them. I have about 20 sealed sets but do not want to crack any open to find out...

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2017 6:01PM

@InternetJunky said:
    I believe most have been picked over when the craze was at it's peak. I still have my sealed shipping box of 5, but I have no intentions of selling it. Must be others out there like me. I believe joeykoins is correct and the lastest Cherrypickers does list these if I remember correctly.

Die Varieties;

2009 1C Lincoln-Formative Years DDR FS-801
    2009 1C Lincoln-Formative Years DDR FS-802
    2009 1C Lincoln-Formative Years DDR FS-803
    2009 1C Lincoln-Formative Years DDR FS-804
    2009 1C Lincoln-Formative Years DDR FS-805
    2009 1C Lincoln-Formative Years DDR FS-806
    2009 1C Lincoln-Formative Years DDR FS-807
    2009 1C Lincoln-Formative Years DDR FS-808

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/407831

Doh! I fell for an old thread revival...again. :#

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

I'm very happy to see that there are still people out here that enjoy coins, I had to step away cause there was just too much drama from those that wanted to debunk these as true DDR's. Once they were confirmed and got their recognition from the Cherry Pickers Guide they still try to debunk them. The shame.

In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭

@sanitarium1inmate said:
    I'm very happy to see that there are still people out here that enjoy coins, I had to step away cause there was just too much drama from those that wanted to debunk these as true DDR's. Once they were confirmed and got their recognition from the Cherry Pickers Guide they still try to debunk them. The shame.

These coins were pumped and pumped and pumped by a few members on these boards for a long time. I don't think anyone really hated them, they just tried to warn people against selling the farm for them. Those who knew varieties and the market knew they would end up a footnote, which they are in my opinion. I am actually quite surprised how bad they have done since making it into the Cherrypickers Guide. They are a money pit at this point. But I think they did spur some interest in searching for modern varieties. Having over 100 different ones discovered did them help either! I love the passion showed by those searching for them.

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt these were ever a money pit for anyone. Heck I have lost way more money buying slab coins. Most of us spent a couple hundred dollars on boxes and it was really about the search and the sharing of info from those who were just having Fun.

I also still think some of these varieties are better than a few of the ones in my WQ sets. I never did get the die crack one and always thought that one was cool. Some folks made money some folks lost a couple hundred dollars and I still have every box I bought. It was a Fun Time Back than................Merry Christmas to all of you and a Happy New Year...

Enjoy Tom

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I love to go back and look at old threads. This is just one of the many on the 09 varieties.

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭

Never sold one coin. Have about 20 of the boxes. Also have rolls with both ends showing the double dies. Most were bought from the mint and a few of the boxes off ebay when they we not that well known.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

These were a BLAST. The thrill of the hunt for an oddity in modern coins has not yet met it's match since. The fact there was many varieties was both a curse and boon for the series. They will last into the future in the likes of the 1955 DDO and 1964 large and small dates. Hang onto those unopened boxes. Someday when Lincolns are no longer and mint production becomes perfected to the point of "error-free" there will be reborn enthusiasm for this type of variety. CHEERS to all who participated.

I toast A Happy Merry to ALL FORMATIVE DDR Enthusiasts (and even the NAYSAYERS).
    -Wayne

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

It definitely was a fun expedition....

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Not only that but it was only pennies and everyone could afford to get involved from the rich to the poor collectors.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file