Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• Oh, and check out the PCGS price guide on a P mint ms67 of the formative years cent. I'm close to thinking of crossing my DDR#002 ms67 from ANACS to PCGS without the error designation and letting it fly for $1,450.00. Kris
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Jesse, the picture is up just a few messages. I had it graded from ANACS ms66 WDDR#002 and struck through debris on the OBV. Edited to correct the ms67 to the correct ms66.
    I was a Monkey
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    66 is a good grade, 67 is harder to come by, and 68's are almost impossible.

It sounds like there are not many of the 002's with struck through grease as I only found 4 myself in all my coins.
  • I'm pretty happy that not many were found with the struck through on it. Makes it better for the few of us that actually worked hard on these and listened to get the right info to be better off. Just makes me happy. image
    I was a Monkey
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm pretty happy that not many were found with the struck through on it. Makes it better for the few of us that actually worked hard on these and listened to get the right info to be better off. Just makes me happy. image >>

I have a few rolls, maybe 5-6, of the 002 and far too many sealed LP2 boxes of the "key" dates that produced the significant errors. I'm sure there are a lot of struck through coins left but nobody really cares about them. After getting between 5-10 rolls of each of the main 5 errors that were found early on, I stopped looking and put everything away. I pretty much know what % of specific error coin(s) I will get out of my remaining sealed boxes. I haven't got the coins out in about 5 years or so, hopefully they aren't all jacked up. I guess I should have sent some in for grading. I did find one large canvas bag of some of my reject pennies a few months ago, I thought I took them all to the bank!

I have all but forgotten about these coins. I guess it's been a bust but it was fun while it lasted. I started keeping records of all my boxes and finds very early on so I was able to get a lot of the prime boxes at ridiculously low prices, often less than mint issue price. I guess i would have liked to get some die crack 006's out of bank boxes but I think i was done with these coins when people were buying those for errors. I liked knowing exactly what I was getting, even if the boxes were sealed.

All in all i could make a little $ if i ever got around to selling what i have, but these coins are a complete bust compared to what I thought they would do. I seriously doubt they will ever catch on and i'm almost certain the TPG's will never recognize them. If 6 years isn't enough time, what is?
    I would not call them a bust Jesse by any means.

I have made a lot of money on them and still enjoy buying and selling them.

I have sold 90 of the MS67 006s for between $75 and $120 alone.

Never mind the others I have sold both graded and ungraded.

ANACS has graded over 600 of the better ones for me over the past 6 years.

There is not a week goes by that I don't sell some and its all profit now.

There will be somewhat of a bump this year after the CPG comes out so be prepared.

I am!
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Not one of the majors but I got the grades covered....

Very nice grade 68!

I have had over 600 graded but have not had one 68 to show for it so that has to be one special coin.

ANACS has not been giving many 68's out for sure.
  • Nice score on the 68. Out of all the coins I've looked through on these I've only found 1 that I think deserves the 68 grade, just have to send it in. Jesse, it was only in the boxes dated 4/17 that had the struck through in it. Those are very limited, since not every box I opened with that date had any in it. I still love hoarding unopened boxes. I have a few 4/29's, a 4/17 still, and a few other dates, along with a $25 box from the bank with see through rolls, I did find a nice OBV die crack on the end of one of the bank rolls. Kris
    I was a Monkey
    I have a very interesting roll from bank boxes.

It has a WDDR 006 on the end of the roll with the fatal die crack showing.

What do you suppose that is worth? That is the rarest of all the 09 errors.

I know of no other rolls like this in existence.

I only have 6 of these great coins total myself, 3 graded ms66, 2 ms 65 and 1 ms 64 plus the one on the end roll.
  • Choices choices. Do you sell it as is or try to open it in hopes of a high grade version that would definitely put it on the top. Personally I don't like the people that sell the old rolls on the bay that have a possible rare merc on the end showing of a wheat roll. These bank rolls are so easily manipulated that I would want to open it and enjoy searching myself. JMHO, Kris.
    I was a Monkey
    This is just such a rare coin that to find one on the end of the roll when in a box of 50 of these rolls you hardly ever come up with one or two of these errors.

I really don't know what happened to the die but it must have broken after a very small amount of these coins were minted.

The coins have a die crack on both sides of the 006 error coin so they could not have lasted long before reverse die broke.

There are quite a few of the 006's with the obverse die crack but not with both side die cracks which is what this one is.
  • This is the crack on the OBV of the coin from a bank roll.
    You can see the plastic from the bank roll in this picture.
    I was a Monkey

<< <i>This is the crack on the OBV of the coin from a bank roll.
    You can see the plastic from the bank roll in this picture.
    image >>

I have lots of those, they aren't worth anything from what I can gather. I ended up putting a lot of coins with chips/cracks in the canvas bag to take to the bank.
  • Cool, I guess it should be cool to just go through the rolls and hunt for anything else that might have been missed or possibly something new. Thanks for letting me know you saw a lot of these ones jesse. Kris
    I was a Monkey
    I too had thousands of those little die cracks around the "R" in trust that I took to the bank.
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    The Wddr-013 stage D is one of the hardest to find of the die cracks...and PCGS will slab them! (they just don't designate the DDR # on the slab). I'm sure most of you know that they are only found in late afternoon 4/15 to early morning 4/16 boxes and

only two or three per roll from my experience. Yes, the 006/002 double die crack is the "holy grail" coin to find, but the 13D's are in the "special" conversation.

I will let the cat out of the bag for you.

The WDDR 006 with the die crack on both sides come out of 50 roll mint boxes with the number 5448 on them. Good luck guys.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭
    Oh, and check out the PCGS price guide on a P mint ms67 of the formative years cent. I'm close to thinking of crossing my DDR#002 ms67 from ANACS to PCGS without the error designation and letting it fly for $1,450.00. Kris

sanitarium1inmate has a good idea.

If PCGS does not recognize the error on these coins why not just submit the errors under a regular submission, at least you will have it graded and not pay the error fees which I believe can run almost $60 for a single coin.

I have a few complete rolls of these various errors and about 10 more unopened boxes of the prime dates. I even have a roll that shows the error ddr 02 I believe on both ends. I have put these away years ago and will only go back to them if something significant happens to the market. I believe it might not happen in my lifetime.
    What is it going to cost you to submit them to PCGS without the designation?

It surely will not be less than what it would cost you to submit to ANACS which in your case has already been done.

From what I have seen of ANACS grading on these coins you will not get a higher or lower grade and then you will lose the designation.

I can maybe see doing it when and if PCGS recognizes these varieties but not before that.

<< <i>I have a few complete rolls of these various errors and about 10 more unopened boxes of the prime dates. I even have a roll that shows the error ddr 02 I believe on both ends. I have put these away years ago and will only go back to them if something significant happens to the market. I believe it might not happen in my lifetime. >>

Please put me in your will..thanks image

The search goes on! imageimage Keep the faith doubled die-hards!

<< <i>The Wddr-013 stage D is one of the hardest to find of the die cracks...and PCGS will slab them! (they just don't designate the DDR # on the slab). I'm sure most of you know that they are only found in late afternoon 4/15 to early morning 4/16 boxes and

only two or three per roll from my experience. Yes, the 006/002 double die crack is the "holy grail" coin to find, but the 13D's are in the "special" conversation.

>>

I had 20 minutes to burn tonight so I opened up a LP2, 04/16/09 9883 10:26 for the heck of it. It has a WDDR-004 on the end roll with the date showing on the other. I guess I'll throw this in with the rest of my end rollers... I don't know if I have one of these yet.

Edit.
    After finding my little notebook, my notes indicate i have end rollers for 001-006 and some with the catfish whiskers.
    Hi Jesse
    Did you get into any of the bank rolled boxes or did you stop with the LP2 series?

I did not get into the bank rolls until about a year after everyone else but did finally get into them before they all ran dry and got quite a few of the good ones that I kept and sold

off all the minor errors that did not have CPG numbers.

<< <i>Hi Jesse
    Did you get into any of the bank rolled boxes or did you stop with the LP2 series?

I did not get into the bank rolls until about a year after everyone else but did finally get into them before they all ran dry and got quite a few of the good ones that I kept and sold

off all the minor errors that did not have CPG numbers. >>

I bought 1 "sealed" box about 2 years ago. I didn't find anything of value in the 15 rolls I opened so i never bought another and never finished looking at them. I was always suspicious of sealed boxes being searched or cherry picked by looking at the visible coins through the holes. I had more errors than I knew what to do with as it was. I will probably end up letting my son sell them when he gets older and let him keep whatever profit he can get. I figure it would be a good way to get him "into" coins and let him do all the hard work image
    I hear you on the hard work part. I have gone through over 200 boxes of those 30 roll coins so I know what is involved. I did get one box that contained the elusive WDDR 006,s in it and quite a few boxes with the other errors in them. I opened most of the rolls and trade errors with other collectors so have most of the good ones in inventory.
    Always fun to open a bank box and find the "best" errors not found in the Lp2 boxes. The Lp2 box that Jesse opened up (4/16 10:26) was just a little late in the day to find the 013-D's. It's a very narrow window according to my records. I don't think

anything past 9 am would have them. Even the boxes that do hold them will only yield 2-3 on average making them pretty special and great to see under a loupe. Then, as Pitboss would attest, the grading begins. Imagine only finding those 2 or 3 and

hoping one is worthy of a 67 grade. That narrows the scarcity and premium for the top graded samples quite a bit. I opened a box today and found only two and they would grade probably in the 65-66 range.

That box also yielded 8 of the highly coveted (sarcasm) Catfish Whiskers Abe die clash variety. These have the bonus reverse side cud on right side top of the book. So, as common as these are, there are at least two reverses associated with

the Catfish Whiskers Abe obverse. The first has a small die marker (dot) between his left arm and leg. Does that make them more desirable? No, just an observation. There is just too much of a glut of these out there to have any real significance.

Keep digging everyone...they're not all gone yet!

They are not all gone yet but are getting harder and harder to find every day.

I know you are still digging.

You have come across many 4/13 boxes in the past month or so which is a great find for it contains the scarce 006 and is the only way to come up with a possible MS 67 or even maybe a MS 68.
    The cherry pickers guidebook is finally peeking it's head up from the darkness.

Whitman has announced they are taking early orders for their new book and are giving a $10 discount for early buyers.

• << <i>They are not all gone yet but are getting harder and harder to find every day.

I know you are still digging.

You have come across many 4/13 boxes in the past month or so which is a great find for it contains the scarce 006 and is the only way to come up with a possible MS 67 or even maybe a MS 68. >>

Best I could muster up is a WDDR001 that I believe to be able to make it to a 68. Fingers are crossed if I ever do get around to sending it in. Kris
    I was a Monkey
    It has been almost impossible to find any more good boxes but not surprising with the years that have gone by since they came out.

I have not picked up any in the past 2 months but that could be because it is summer.

My sales are still going well though so these are not forgotten.

THe CPG should help.
    How about the WDDR 001 on the front cover of the book.
  • I saw that on the cover. It's about time. 6 years ago I abandoned that project and have coins all over the place in various stages of assembly. I am kinda hoping all those spots I remember seeing have simply vanished.
    Not all the coins have spots on them.

I have not kept any of mine that had a lot of spots but there is no question that the spots did exist on a great many of them.

I also have not saved most of the minor errors and have just stayed with the top 9 or 10 major errors in the series.

Grading by ANACS has been very tough and the results are good quality coins but don't expect to see many MS68's.

MS 67 is really the top coin you can expect.
  • Well I'm sure not all have spots however a great many do.

There are several slabbed examples on Ebay graded by ANACS and almost all of them have what I would call rinse spots.
    I have had over 600 graded so pretty much know what to look for.
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How and where do one of the unwashed masses get a roll or box like this?
    Many happy BST transactions
    Wow! NOW is the time for everyone to start calling our host to get them to move on grading these things. I know in the past we all did this and they said when they came out in the CPG they would. Come on guys it only takes a few minutes to make that call at least once a week. Lets put some pressure on them now.

<< <i>How and where do one of the unwashed masses get a roll or box like this? >>

Ebay image

Can't wait to get my copy of the new CPG ... been a long time coming ... imageimage

<< <i>

<< <i>How and where do one of the unwashed masses get a roll or box like this? >>

Ebay image

I have been getting questions all day from people interested in finding info on these coins. All I can tell them basically is to read this thread from one end to the other. The answers are all in here.

Can't wait to get my copy of the new CPG ... been a long time coming ... imageimage

image >>

As Pitboss said, there is a wealth of information within this thread; years of discovery, pics, debate, and conversation. The persistence of the contributors of these discussions have led up to the inclusion of these errors in the new CPG that is upcoming

and inclusion in both the current Professional Red Book and the regular Red Book. There are some who, early on, were greatly involved that no longer add or share their thoughts as we get closer to PCGS and NGC acknowledging these errors on their

variety labels (contributors such as Papi come to mind) but without their input would have not been given the necessary impetus toward realizing our dream of recognition.

That said, there are many others who have steadfastly pushed the Formative Years error agenda and generously shared new information that has benefitted many in their search and accumulation of the key errors. (Pitboss, a strong presence throughout,

among them). Now, it is up to the newer serious individual collectors of these great doubled dies to take the initiative, incentive, and the necessary time to start from the beginning of this thread. It's free and I guarantee you that those that do read it

will benefit greatly from it. These errors will finally take their deserved place in the history of US Mint error coins. The CPG is the ultimate validator.

I would also like to point out and thank Whitman Publishing (Dennis - Dentuck) for his probing and paying attention to our cause throughout the years. His involvement was (huge understatement) critical to bringing these into the "numismatic light".

For those who are just now starting to look for these, enjoy the journey through this thread!

Now, doubled die hards, carry on! A doubled thumbs up to all of you, present and future collectors! imageimage
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Six years now -- getting old, gray, battered and bruised but steadfast!

Are the CPG early birds at Whitman's site?

LP2 boxes are still out there. I have slabbed almost a hundred from ANACs and no 68's. Not done yet either.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    I was one of the first to order one and am paying fr express delivery.

I have had almost 700 graded so far and no 68's for me either.

Dennis Tucker has done a great job in getting this out for us and I know we will be hearing from him shortly on this.

Don't forget to keep pestering our host about grading these. The more we do that the sooner they will do as they said and start.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is where to order: Whitman Publishing - CPG 6th Ed.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    OK guys and gals, the word of the day is "PEST".

We need to be a pest when it comes to calling or emailing PCGS and NGC because we need to get these coins recognized by both companies.

If we don't stay on them they will do nothing.
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was one of the first to order one and am paying fr express delivery.

Dennis Tucker has done a great job in getting this out for us and I know we will be hearing from him shortly on this.

Don't forget to keep pestering our host about grading these. The more we do that the sooner they will do as they said and start. >>

How many 67's?
    I believe it was in the 180 range. I have about 70 or so left of the 67's. These were all cherry picked coins that I sent in so consider how many I went through to get roughly that 700 that I had graded.

• << <i>OK guys and gals, the word of the day is "PEST".

We need to be a pest when it comes to calling or emailing PCGS and NGC because we need to get these coins recognized by both companies.

If we don't stay on them they will do nothing. >>

Keeping this thread going daily will also help grab their attention.
    Does anyone know if the picture on the cover is from Wexler or from the coin I sent to Billy Crawford? I guess I could just try to find the pictures he took of mine and see if they match.
    I was a Monkey
    I don't know where the picture came from but it sure good to see it on the cover.
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was one of the first to order one and am paying fr express delivery.

Don't forget to keep pestering our host about grading these. The more we do that the sooner they will do as they said and start. >>

Yes! Let's all thank Dennis for keeping in touch with us imageimage!!! and also , to help push the C.P.G. to get published.
    Thank You, Dennis. You are AWESOME! You Double die Hard fan!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
    I emailed our hosts the following...

<< <i>Hello, I'm writing to ask if PCGS intends to label the 2009p Lincoln Formative

Years doubled dies now that the new CPG is coming out and highlighting them on both their

cover and listings with assigned error numbers inside. They have been listed in the Red

Book and Professional Red Book previously but not recognized by PCGS or NGC to date for

labeling purposes. Please consider this new CPG as evidence that they are true doubled dies

and should be recognized by the largest and most influential grading company. >>

Hopefully they will respond to our combined requests for recognition. I'm fairly certain that Whitman Publishing will naturally exert some influence by their release of the new CPG but there's nothing wrong in voicing our desire for recognition

on the slab labels as well. I have not slabbed any through Anacs. I would only use PCGS for these. So you know I'm happy that we may be on the edge of getting these errors legitimized by them finally.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file