Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Of course your welcome! image Just let me know when you find any of these pennies slabbed in PCGS or NGC holders then I might
    change my mind... somewhat. We all know the godless dollars, speared bison, Minny extra trees and where those are heading.

These remind me so much like the Minnesota extra trees.. a zillion types of micro lines dots and do-dads here and there yet the
    so-called experts have picked only select few as being the best?? What?? These are not even in the red book after 4 years and
    remind me exactly like the Minnesota DDRs which have completely fell of the face of the Earth in today's market place. POOF!!! >>

These are very similar to the tree coins. The problem is and always will be the supply outpaces demand by a multi ten thousand fold factor. The currrent registry set for complete varieties of the Lincoln Memorial cents has about 15 active collectors. So there are about 15 active players in the established errors minted from 1959-2008. Many of those errors are actually quite rare and the numbers found can often be less than 50 total. Many of those "rare" errors are lucky to sell for $50 in MS65/66. These "error" 2009 Lincolns have been found by the tens of thousands. Boxes bought directly from the Mint can contain 10+ errors per roll. They have been hoarded by the hundreds if not thousands by several people. IF they ever make the Cherry pickers guide they will be URS-15+ coins (8-16,000 known) probably higher. No single variety is rare. No single variety is even scarce by any measure. While these are collectable don't let yourself be dragged into the fray of hoarding these in hopes of wild riches!! For several years they've been hyped, lauded, celebrated and re-hyped. Collect them if you wish but as you mention they are probably headed to treeland status. I'm a Believer that they are fun varieties to collect, not varieties you should hoard or bet the farm on.
  • Well I think that any current error coin that has gone from a couple of dollars to 80+ is doing pretty good. So I will keep some around considering they will be in prominent books for collectors for the 2014 year. Pretty simple to me. If you have some nice 006 skeleton fingers you don't want feel free to send them to me, thank you.
  • I am afraid to tell you... these coins will not be in this years Red book .. just watch! Listen to the post below yours.. he makes sense
    as much as I am telling others also. I do however wish you luck on these however it could take about 30 years or so later.. maybe.
    Telsa is one of the greatest inventors
    of all time! Render to Caesar's what is
    Caesars and give to God what is God's.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    They will not be in this years redbook as we all know but they did make the professional redbook and will be in the 5th edition of the CPG which is due out next year. It will not take 30 years for them to be recognized as you are alluding to. The WDDR 001,002,006,016,025,043 and 050 already have CPG numbers and are ready to go so do not be surprised when things start to happen.
  • "Well I think that any current error coin that has gone from a couple of dollars to 80+ is doing pretty good. So I will keep some around considering they will be in prominent books for collectors for the 2014 year.
    Pretty simple to me. If you have some nice 006 skeleton fingers you don't want feel free to send them to me, thank you."

Lostincoins .. I could actually sell my "Speared Lincoln FY LP2" on eBay for say $150-750 .. one of a kind deal .. so does that mean the market for these die gouges on it just like the speared bison mean I just set the
    price for the market place on any die gouge found on any FY LP2 pennies? The $80 coins are a $10 ANACS graded slab which anyone could have said I want $150 on these or even $25.. all of that is meaningless.

You can sell any coin you want on eBay for a million$ if you wish!
    Telsa is one of the greatest inventors
    of all time! Render to Caesar's what is
    Caesars and give to God what is God's.
    I think you would be wise to hold on to what you have and no I would not be interested in sending you any for free as I rather like the ones I have.

As a matter of fact I sell a lot of these coins to previous customers and due to increased demand I have had to raise all my prices for my ungraded stock and will soon be doing so for my graded coins as well. If anyone thinks these are easy to find now then they are not trying to find any. There is not one good box for sale on ebay at this time.
  • Hey mystery how about you post a pic of this one of a kind cent you have so I can see it. Also why don't you contact John Wexler and get his opinion on these errors as his opinion is more respected than yours. Let us know how your communications go and I am eagerly awaiting your pics.
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    It's a "mystery" to me how someone can't differentiate mint processing causes between these "single squeezed doubled dies" and the speared bison "die gouge" ...

they are not caused in the same way. I would encourage you to go to Wexler's site (or other informational online sites) for a full explanation on these modern doubled dies and the

processes involved at the mint.

The future values of these Formative doubled dies may have a slow uphill climb as the major TPG's stubbornly refuse to label them until the CPG comes out. That's all been discussed

many times throughout this and other threads. One can have a different opinion here. One can be a contrarian for contrarian's sake. One can be a naysayer and think these never will

be a mainstream hit. One can also just want to stir the pot just to see what reactions one will get. It's good for the conversation. If you don't believe in them or don't see value in

collecting them, simply don't. As my mother would say at the dinner table if you didn't want to eat a certain dish..."good, leaves more for the rest of us" . As others have pointed out

the good boxes are virtually unavailable now. The bulk of the errors have been harvested. When (and if, by your assessment) these start to climb in value it will be too late for anyone

that hesitated to purchase these at the low prices being offered today. This is the time to hedge your bets on future values. You can still get raw samples of the "best of the best" errors

online for between $7 - $12 ea. . You also can buy Anacs' slabbed and graded material for very reasonable prices if you prefer.

I personally thank you for joining the conversation because it highlights the differences in modern "errors" (trees, bison, extra leafs, etc.) that have come along and had varying

successes (long term, short term) in the collecting world. Time will tell on the Formative doubled dies but I am a believer and feel that these are gaining momentum. Good luck in all of

your collecting endeavors. imageimage By the way, Mystery, I'm still waiting to see a pic of your "speared Lincoln" that you say is unique. Hope you can upload it

today! I'm very interested to see it!

<< <i>I think you would be wise to hold on to what you have and no I would not be interested in sending you any for free as I rather like the ones I have.

As a matter of fact I sell a lot of these coins to previous customers and due to increased demand I have had to raise all my prices for my ungraded stock and will soon be doing so for my graded coins as well. If anyone thinks these are easy to find now then they are not trying to find any. There is not one good box for sale on ebay at this time. >>

I have sold 12 2009 P coins today for over $200 to 3 different buyers and only one was on ebay. 6 were WDDR 006, 3 were WDDR 025, 2 were WDDR 002 and 1 was a WDDR 001. These were all ungraded coins so the prices are already on the rise as the rolls that contain them are drying up.
  • My last mint box a 4/30 is an absolute bust nada zero errors
    4/30 unless early morning tends to be a bust. Been there done that.
  • I recently purchased two 4/30 boxes, both time stamped near 7 am. Found a total of 38 1s and 2s.
    I also found plenty of junk errors. They are on the way to PB now via mail.
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait until a large volume dealer accumulates a significant enough quantity of these for promotional pump and dump purposes and magically they'll make the CPG.
    Otherwise they'll remain as is... i.e., no one caring except diehard variety nerds.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Telephoto, I really don't care what value others place on these coins. I enjoy the hunt. And if they go up in value over time that is great.
    How long have you owned the vette in your picture and how much has it gone up in value since you have owned it?
    Roll searching...I found this...can anyone identify with a ddr #?

It's not an 008, 025, or anything else in Wexler's catalog that I can find. Anyone?
    I have no idea what that is.
  • Happy 205th Mr. Lincoln
    imageimage to all
    I had a good day Sunday picking up a total of 8 WDDR 006's and 3 of them had the obverse die crack and one had the reverse die crack also. Total cost of all of them was a whopping $152.00.
    My new helper is getting big and just has to know everything I am doing. Here he is supervising my search for 2009 error coins.">[IMG
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Did the U09 Mint sets yield any significant errors? I know this was the only place to get an original composition Lincoln, but they made a ton of them, so no big deal there.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.

<< <i>Did the U09 Mint sets yield any significant errors? >>

Go to the Wexler site for ddr's on the satin finish Lincolns. There are some very nice ones and I think much more rare than we know. I've only come across a couple in the U09 sets in all

of my searches. Definitely worth paying attention to. The values are climbing on all of the 2009 ddr's. These are by no means "sleepers". People are aware and searching diligently to

find them. Don't forget to search the proof sets also...some nice ones can be found that have significant value already. Good luck in your adventures. Welcome to our discussion.

imageimage
    This is one of the most watched and not replied to of the threads that are currently active.

Most of the collectors of these are being silent at the present time hoping that more will get listed for them to purchase before they become better known.

There are millions of penny collectors out there just waiting for the CPG to come out.

imageimage

<< <i>Most of the collectors of these are being silent at the present time hoping that more will get listed for them to purchase before they become better known. >>

Interest is definitely rising...and sales are increasing, along with prices, every day. The word is out. Buy now before the CPG comes out and exponentially changes the market.

There are still some fantastic deals out there but they are getting more and more difficult to find. Like PB, I believe there is a very large and growing collector base that is laying low

and trying to take advantage of the good deals while the getting is good. Good fortune to you all in your searches! A doubled thumbs up to you all! imageimage
    We shall see how much interest in a couple of items just listed. Bank roll with 025 on the end and a bank roll with 032 on the end.

Both are auctions with a starting price of .99.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did the U09 Mint sets yield any significant errors? I know this was the only place to get an original composition Lincoln, but they made a ton of them, so no big deal there. >>

Yes! I found a handful and had them certified. I found a few wddr-005 & 009's. There are pics of them on my ebay listings.

Actually, the mintage for these UNC sets was the second LOWEST since 1963 (2008 unc mint sets were a bit lower, but they were common business strikes and the cents only add to the regular 376,000,000 of the Formatives struck that year). There are only ~785,000 of these bronze Formative unc cents. The famous 1931-S cent mintage was 866,000. These are a sleeper and a good deal yet at current set prices.

Considering this info, the bronze ddr cents are certainly "special".

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    Glad to see you back from your vacation. We have missed having you around for the last 3 weeks.

Hope you didn't get a sunburn but if you did you can rub some of that snow on it.
    THANKS PB !! -- I hate to admit it but I spent all my time on (bikini-clad) beaches on Oahu with my sweetheart and didn't check out any coin shops for our quest.

Us Alaskan's really crave sun this time of year and I got it -- best tan (didn't burn thx to her) ever.

I see prices are rising for our fav ddr's and that's good to see. I've returned my listings to eBay today after a 3-week hiatus.

Keep the faith. Cheers, AK
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • I want to "Thank" all the Folks that have spent so much of their time sharing quality information as to the quest and value of these most interesting LP2 WDDR Error Cents here on the Forum. It is because of your genuine, unselfish input that I feel all of your efforts and those of future collectors/investors will thrive !! It is all most impossible to locate unsearched boxes, both USM boxes or good dated bank boxes on Ebay. That fact is a Forecast of much greater supply limitations in the future. The prices are rising even w/o the stubborn help of the two major TPG companies. IMHO, all it will take will be some enterprising, well publicized 2009 P WDDR Error Cent promotion by an established Coin Dealer on a grand scale and the retailer insists that the coins be graded by the larger TPG Cos. being offered large raw coins that will help those grading companies' bottom line. Even if that situation is stalled for awhile, you will probably see more info. about these scarce coins in publications as time passes. We are maybe at the point where the supply has really been cut and demand is increasing slowly as is best. Believe me, I have been and is still very active in the WI Extra Leaf market (what is left of it) and in my opinion, the quarters are quality collectables but were hit hard as to values after the "Rush" to promote and "Dump" on Ebay since 2006. The WI are now having to trade on their own merits and I have seen what appears to be several "Bottoms" tested over the years. I am either stupid or very patient but I honestly feel like time and future State Quarter collectors will revive the WI coin interest. In other words, I wouldn't despair if the WDDR market seems slow at times, your time and $ is better spent letting this error cent market slowly broaden its base of interest and not gyrate in prices where a few act as Bandits and make a quick exit out the back door with plenty of profits and many newer buyers feel cheated. That is where all the support from Forum members like yourselves can be of great benefit to the WDDR cent collectors Now and Later. Enough of my early morning insight !! Thanks again, Mark.
    Specialized Investments
    The really telltale sign of the prices rising is the WDDR 006 which is the king of the crop and the price of these having increased from around $10 in December to the $30 range now.

The other 6 with the CPG numbers will soon follow but maybe not as fast as the 006.
    From my Ebay experience it's still a fairly cold market. I have sold many more die crack examples than the ddr's in recent weeks with my "cracked skull Abe" being the most popular. My

001's are going for about $10 each to lead my ddr sales. I've decided to put a hold on those for awhile...just too early I guess and I think those will become ultra desirable once the CPG is

published which will increase their value exponentially. Other than my six pack of 001-006 that I have listed I'm not going to let any more of my 006's go cheaply either. In the meantime I

too search for the elusive "good boxes". I think we're all in agreement that the hunt is getting more difficult but we can still get lucky now and again...witness PB finding a bank box full of

late stage die crack 006's, the number one error of all!
    I have listed mine high enough to keep from giving them away and will leave them there unless the price starts to creep up a little more, If someone wants some they can buy them or not and i don't really care. I sell enough as it is to former customers and like everyone else have a hard time replacing what I sell as very few become available anymore. You need to be on ebay at just the right time when they get listed and scoop them then or you will not find any at all. I was lucky a couple of weeks ago and picked up four 006's with an obverse die crack and one with both the obverse and reverse die cracks but it does not happen often. Even the 001 and 002 are getting to be tough coins. and you can forget about the ones from bank boxes.
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any chance of finding a 006 satin?
    Good question. I've gone through well over 250 satins and only found the two varieties I posted above.

The 006 was the result of one set of dies that wore out and finally broke. It would be highly unlikely another die would produce similar results.

However, it's possible a significant variety COULD still exist since most collectors are unaware of these varieties and have not looked at their sets -- YET.
    I believe John Wexler's site is complete on the "satin" finish errors. No skeleton fingers listed.
    It's fairly easy to follow the 006's life from when it first started in the 4/23 LP2 boxes to the obverse die crack and then the reverse fatal die crack to the broken reverse die. It then becomes just the massive obverse die crack with the WDDO 002 until the obverse die breaks. There have been no die cracked 006's found in 4/23 boxes just in a limited amount of bank boxes which makes this variety extremely rare in my opinion.
    It's no fun any more as no one is listing any good boxes at all any more and when you list something everybody wants to try and steal whatever you are listing.
    Up until a couple of months ago you could count on a few good boxes to be on there every day but not now.
    I just wonder how many good boxes are left now anyway.
    I guess this is the way it is going to be until the CPG comes out.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Like PB, I believe there is a very large and growing collector base that is laying low

and trying to take advantage of the good deals while the getting is good. >>

I bought some of my raw satins, and other varieties from the original submitters to Wexler. I wonder if they are members here and if any of the original submitters are posting in this thread?
  • ksammutksammut Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

My 12 year old son and I belong to 4 coin clubs in the PA/DE area. He has been collecting for 6 years and has become pretty knowledgeable when it comes to all US coins. He has a passion for collecting and learning about coins (he just requested a membership here at Collectors Universe). Once accepted, he will begin posting. He is great with pictures on his digital microscope.

He is getting a great reputation for being knowledgeable about coins in general but has also become known for being a copper guy. One of his many goals is to hoard 1 million wheat cents and is always bidding for them at our coin club auctions.

The reason for my post is to ask if any of you would be willing to sell a number of the 2009 Lincoln cent varieties to us. Like most coin clubs, we seek out speakers for each meeting. Kenny plans on doing a presentation on the 2009 varieties at each of the four clubs. He has printed out Wexler's information and created a binder. His second binder will display many of the varieties. We have purchased a few on ebay (from some of you) but as we would like to purchase a good number of the many varieties for his collection and for the presentations, I was hoping that I could purchase them directly from you instead of trying to put together a comprehensive collection using ebay.

I have given Kenny an initial $200 budget to purchase as many varieties as possible. We prefer them to be non-slabbed but would like to have 3 or 4 slabbed to include in the presentation. I am not sure how many $200 will buy but would appreciate it if any of you would sell directly to us. We would pay by paypal.

If willing to do so, please PM me. I would have placed this post in the trade and buy section but I know that many of you have become very knowledgeable about all of the varieties and have built huge collections.

Thanks in advance,

Ken
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

Always good to see a young collector get interested in coins.
    The subject of compiling these varieties into a manner that is publishable on-line has been brought up several times on this forum. It has been suggested that to get these publicized it would require presentations at clubs and articles in Coinworld, Coinage, etc.

I think Kenny would be fairly successful with his collection through donations of specific varieties from forum members if he is willing to take on this challenge. I suggest he develops a list of what he still needs and I bet folks will contribute. My collecting has been limited to the "best of" varieties but would be happy to contribute a few if I have extras.

Wexler's site is good but it does not show pics of various die life stages.

Welcome to the forums Ken and Kenny!
    What holes (varieties) need to be filled in his variety quest? I'm impressed with his organizational skills in creating an album with samples and pictures for display and discussion. Those

coin clubs are going to learn something and he's going to gain invaluable experience in both collecting specific coins and addressing these groups with his findings and opinions.

Maybe you can take some pics of what he's presenting and share them with us on this thread. I personally would enjoy that. A doubled thumbs up to both of you! imageimage
    I have sent him
    If any of you have some others you can send him I'm sure it will be appreciated.

Just take a few minutes and go through what you have as extras.

Be generous!

It doesn't hurt.

Kenny Sammut
    1187 Smithbridge Rd
    Chads Ford, Pa

• HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Hi Pitboss, you are very generous both with your time and coins to help this young coin collector. You are a credit to the hobby !! Mark.
    Specialized Investments

<< <i>I have sent him
    086 >>

that is one lucky little collector!
  • pcunixpcunix Posts: 620

<< <i>

<< <i>Having talked to the right people at Whitman, I have been told that they will be working on vol one of the 6th edition of the cherry pickers

guidebook this year and should publish it next year.

The formative years errors will be in it or at least the best ones. >>

Really? I'll believe it when I see it.

The last one published in 2007 only included Lincolns to 2000; six years behind.

I guess if they publish in 2013 to include 2009 varieties, they'll only be 3 yrs behind, since you can't count the publishing year.

They should just publish a digital version, much less work. >>

They do have digital versions. And they suck. There's no reason not to have a good index that would take me right to 1969 cents, for example and there is no reason not to have high quality photos in digital editions. But no index and crappy pix.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>[ for example and there is no reason not to have high quality photos in digital editions. But no index and crappy pix. >>

High quality photos cost money.

Gee PB -- you sure stole some thunder! That WAS very generous of you. Not sure I can contribute much beyond. Examples of die stages? Some of the die pairings are pretty interesting.

Ken/Kenny, can you update us what is still needed?
    Anything will help this young guy get started and he will be spreading the word about the 09 varieties at the coin clubs that he and his father attend as he is giving presentations to them.

If you have examples of any of the ones I have not sent him he will appreciate it.

I did not save all of the minor errors but I know some of you did so please take a minute and see if you have something you can send him.

<< <i>

<< <i>Interest has virtually disappeared.... and values are not likely to increase, actually, just the opposite. Cheers, RickO >>

I know I'm going to get slammed for the comparison, but the 1955 DDO wasn't even valued in the hundreds of dollars until 10 years after it's discovery.

1972 was only valued at $300 in MS66 in 1995, now it's $1100.

The point being; this is the normal progression of a newly discovered variety. Personally, hanging onto a penny for 10 years is not going to cause me any pain or unhappiness.

So, for those of you needing instant wealth, then your interest has disappeared. >>

<< <i>

<< <i>Interest has virtually disappeared.... and values are not likely to increase, actually, just the opposite. Cheers, RickO >>

I know I'm going to get slammed for the comparison, but the 1955 DDO wasn't even valued in the hundreds of dollars until 10 years after it's discovery.

1972 was only valued at $300 in MS66 in 1995, now it's $1100.

The point being; this is the normal progression of a newly discovered variety. Personally, hanging onto a penny for 10 years is not going to cause me any pain or unhappiness.

So, for those of you needing instant wealth, then your interest has disappeared. >>

15th edition redbook (1962) $95 in Unc.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file