Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    What is the number of cents in a 25 dollar bank box...image
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I'll take Coins and paper money Alex for $1,000.
  • Mr. Boss I am actually working on it with a Google and Android app designer. I am jsut doing so slowly and working on getting experts to agree to give their knowledge. This is going to be the hardest part as everyone wants compensation for their knowledge. It is just like on here not many people talk freely and that free open discussion is paramount to the success of any endeavor associated with this series.
    Well ask away. We will help.
  • Thank you and I understand that as you are very helpful on this thread. The issue is that pedigreed numismatists are needed to bring an air of authority to this endeavor.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For anyone looking for some good LP2 boxes, here's some on eBay.

Is the seller a fellow forumoid?

$100 each for 4/30 boxes... It will be interesting to see what they fetch.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    Well I know he wont take $20.

I tried it.

If they were 4/23 boxes we could talk.
  • 125 for a 4/17 holly cr**!!!!
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$100 each for 4/30 boxes... It will be interesting to see what they fetch. >>

Also interesting is how these prices will affect future listings. Will sellers be influenced and inflate their prices? Apparently he's convinced that the well is drying up on these boxes

and that thirsty collectors will pay anything to get a sip.

His luck in selling at these prices may represent our luck in the future. Let's wish him success!
  • It is very strange that this seller has not sold anything sense 2006 this could be a jacked account!!!!
    I emailed him and asked him if he had any 4/23 boxes.

He said no that is all he has except for a few boxes of non error dates so he knows what he has.

Have you noticed that dengarsan has raised all his prices.
  • I would never buy dengarson's coins when he was selling them for less, so would not buy from him now.
    But I have to admit, he has sold a lot of coins at a good price.

Final thought... I hope he reads what I just wrote image

<< <i>Mr. Boss I am actually working on it with a Google and Android app designer. I am jsut doing so slowly and working on getting experts to agree to give their knowledge. This is going to be the hardest part as everyone wants compensation for their knowledge. It is just like on here not many people talk freely and that free open discussion is paramount to the success of any endeavor associated with this series. >>

Hi John,
    Just tell people that it is for the good of the 2009 errors that we get something published that will bring these great coins to the forefront.
  • It is all about directing the innate greed in the right direction. I am doing on no budjet what so ever. I have been able to have the app designer help me only because she is a personal friend and knows my personal situation otherwise I would be 1000s into design and development costs.
    It is great that you are attempting to get this done and I am sure Dentuck and others on this board will give you all the help they can.
  • I do appreciate that and their help. I am not at that point yet as I am still in the development part of this endeavor. When the time comes I would as for an example of each error that I do not have so I can image them. They will ofcourse be returned lol. I just want to have very consistent pic to use from one source. I have not been doing much looking right now as I have to get other things in line and have to sell some of my stuff to pay bills. I will check in though ok.
  • PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭

<< <i>I strongly encourage you to publish a book about these varieties >>

Dr. Wiles PhD, has already published E-Books on this very subject.

Modern Doubled Dies: The Single Squeeze Era & What Are Die Varieties?

The info is already out there, but the antiquarians are demanding an antiquated format.
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

The info is already out there, but the antiquarians are demanding an antiquated format. >>

Precisely! If e-books and web sites and chat forums
    are going nowhere, get back to the hobby's roots.
    Write and publish a book.

• Papi do you own this ebook? Does it give the information on die stages for each of the major errors for this series along with pics of each? Does it go over pricing and is it updated on a regular basis following the current trends?
  • PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

The info is already out there, but the antiquarians are demanding an antiquated format. >>

Precisely! If e-books and web sites and chat forums
    are going nowhere, get back to the hobby's roots.
    Write and publish a book. >>

Forgive me if I misspeak, but you are a publisher.

You wouldn't publish something that had no audience, and I would think there would be an obvious benefit to the publisher; yes?

Since there have been several recommendations directing us to write one; why then would you not approach the authors of already existing E-Books for conversion to a "real" book?

The audience for such a book would be too small for a large commercial publishing firm to take it on,
    but as a numismatist and an observer of the hobby community, I do recommend that if you have a
    niche interest and want to share it with others and get them interested, you should write and
    publish a book about it.

By the way, I do personally have some numismatic niche interests that I've been
    quietly writing about over the years, submitting articles to hobby journals and
    magazines, giving presentations at coin shows, etc. Some day, I'll write and publish
    a book about them. By then it will be fairly easy --- I've been slowly and steadily
    creating a body of work (writing, gathering images, etc.), so the manuscript is
    already in the works.

That's what I would recommend to anyone interested in 2009 doubled-die Lincoln
    cents. Want to publicize them? Submit articles, speak at coin shows, gather market
    data and research, write a book, get the word out.

<< <i>

<< <i>Mr. Boss I am actually working on it with a Google and Android app designer. I am jsut doing so slowly and working on getting experts to agree to give their knowledge. This is going to be the hardest part as everyone wants compensation for their knowledge. It is just like on here not many people talk freely and that free open discussion is paramount to the success of any endeavor associated with this series. >>

Hi John,
    Just tell people that it is for the good of the 2009 errors that we get something published that will bring these great coins to the forefront. >>

The HOW answers are already out there by many experts. I bet Mr. Wexler, Crawford, Potter, etc. would likely allow you to make reference to their work.

I think there has been plenty of open discussion on this forum that could be freely mined. One of the biggest attributes of a publication is the full photo inventory and descriptors, showing die stages, etc. That in itself would be a challenging but fun quest.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    Hey PB -

Check out this DIE CRACK LISTING

How does this compare with your Skeleton with the monster obverse die crack (stage H)? It almost looks identical, but can't be, right?
    That's a pic of an 076 stage C doubled die reverse Akbeez. I have these in my collection. Found in a bank box of course. Very similar die crack to the wddr-006 H.

That is similar to the final stage die crack on the 006.

The WDDO 002 series H and the obverse die crack is on the bottom of the coin
    Thanks -- the 006H starts more centered on the top of the A?

Good pic!
    This is the WDDO 002">[IMG
    Anybody here that wants one PM me and I will sell them to forum members for $10 each.
    Here's today's find from my new bank box. It's a Wddr-023

image edited for better pic

notice it has the small extra finger below the bottom of the book. Looks like a little spike protruding from underneath the book under a loupe. It also has a small partial finger that is just

above center of the index finger.

<< <i>This is the WDDO 002">[IMG >>

Akbeez was referring to the similarity between the reverse die cracks of the 006 H and the 076 C . Do you have a good image PB or Papi of the reverse die crack on the 006?
    This is the fatal die crack on the 006">[IMG
    I have been looking through the 006's I have with the reverse die crack and am using a 40x microscope and finding some with a crack from the edge of the coin to the A, I guess that is another stage.

<< <i>Here's today's find from my new bank box. It's a Wddr-023

notice it has the small extra finger below the bottom of the book. Looks like a little spike protruding from underneath the book under a loupe. It also has a small partial finger that is just

above center of the index finger.

<< <i>This is the WDDO 002">[IMG >>

Akbeez was referring to the similarity between the reverse die cracks of the 006 H and the 076 C . Do you have a good image PB or Papi of the reverse die crack on the 006? >>

Yes, thanks. PB posted some pics but I'm looking for a sharper image (no dis' PB). The 006 crack started between the rim and top of A. It's a bit tough to see. Can't remember what stage -- C? [where is that darned photo reference??]

Closeup of PB's image of the wddr-006 H fatal die crack and my wddr-076 C for comparative
    The ones I found tonight have the die crack on the obverse and a small die crack from the edge of the coin to the same "A" on the reverse.
  • have any of you big time hitters invited the seller of the above mentioned listing as the have 4+ discoveries under their belt?
    006's PB? Good scores.

Thanks OneD for the comps. Very cool!
    I am not sure of the stage though. It has to be the start of the fatal die crack.
    PB the one you sent me was wddr-006D, wddo-002F-H (obv crack). Sounds like you found more. Bank boxes?
    I think those must have come from the roll I bought from a collectors wife about 2 years ago. They are not new finds.
    These stages are so confusing.

I am going to have to check all my 006 that I have graded to see if they have this small die crack.
    I've found early stage die cracks, both obverse and reverse, on 006's right out of the mint boxes. I thought I'd shared that information earlier in this thread or on PM's.

The last stages were only found in bank boxes to my knowledge.

Good night now...

• I am looking for any graded error that is MS68 for an experiment, any help will be greatly appreciated.
    MS 68 are very hard to come by in these varieties.

Even 67's are getting hard.

Just got the figures from ANACS on the 10 best looking WDDR 006's I had which I sent in and the best was a MS 66.

I am going to list a final stage 006 tonight that I got out of that bank box a week ago tonight.

Nice looking coin which should grade high.
    Just wanted to share a better pic of the wddr-023 with you all.

The 025 is like an elongated version of this.

I'll be watching for your 006 listing PB...
  • I just posted som crack pics in the main forum as a new thread take a look
    So the reason it's not posted here is because it is not a DDR/DDO?

It is an interesting piece, but as another poster said die cracks are rather common. I'll admit, this one is rather striking tho.

The ones that are tied to a DD coin are more interesting only because they are already "collectable" as a variety and the crack's growth tell a story in terms of die life. Even more interesting they is when they can be used to match a certain aging die to multiple other dies.

The most striking die cracks are those that slice through an open field -- thus easily visible as a major feature. DDR-013(c), aka "massive die crack" coin is one of the best examples.

Thanks for posting the shots.
  • How many of these do you have akbeez? I posted to let people see it an stur up a bit of interest. if you look you can see some doubling on the letters. Check out all the die polish marks going on that you normally would not see and the water mark from its bath at the mint.

<< <i>So the reason it's not posted here is because it is not a DDR/DDO? >>

He's trying to draw more people into our thread. A little teaser listing. Most people on the forums that are even remotely interested in these varieties would check in here now and again

to see what's new in the wonderful world of 2009p Lincoln doubled dies.

Side note: comparison of my pic with the pic on Wexler's site

Wexler's pic:

My pic:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file