Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• lighting on a nice bright example is a challenge.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got it!

No Lost..., I don't have any of these die cracks. It's a neat one. How many did you find? (sorry if you already posted that)
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • I have 4 of them now. if this were a 72 ddr based on the lettering it would be very expensive lol
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ighting on a nice bright example is a challenge. >>

You're right especially when trying to image a smallish error like this one. I purposely did a sharp contrast to bring the errors to light. In Wexler's pic the lighting is nice but doesn't punch

the error out as much and makes it difficult to appreciate what you should be seeing through your loupe. Well, enough said about a minor error. Have a great day of searching guys!

imageimage
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I remember 65 years ago when I first starting out looking at pennies I could see all this stuff with my naked eyes now I miss most of it and I am using a 40X scope.

Just think of all the errors I have missed in the hundreds of boxes I have gone through.
  • After you have gone through all your coins send me your discards and I will pay you .05x face for them plus half the cost of shipping.
    I only have that one box that contained the 006's as I have taken all the rest to the credit union. I have no idea what is in there and I was considering the idea of looking through them again myself as I really went through about 8 rolls before I found any errors.
    PB you might have to start searching rolls at your own Credit Union for your own errors!! Woo Hoo!

(no worries, your location is secret with me and WAY too far away----)
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    They put them in big bags and Brinks picks the up to be re-rolled somewhere.

They do not stay at that branch.

It gives young people a chance to find some errors.

I just sold some rolls with 030 on the end.

The buyer told me yesterday there were all kinds of trail die errors in them too and I have had similar comments in the past it does not surprise me at all as I can not see them.

Thats just like the die markers, I cant see them either.
    I can't see those microscopic markers either. If that's what it takes -- I'm not interested.

Like the doubled ear of years ago -- gotta really know what you are looking for. I like these since the "best of's" are not hard to see and extra fingers (or other appendages) are VERY UNUSUAL for a UNITED STATES legal tender coin.

AMEN BROTHER? (or SISTER)

<< <i>I am going to list a final stage 006 tonight that I got out of that bank box a week ago tonight.

Nice looking coin which should grade high. >>

OOOWWWWEEEE Wowza, that's a strong listing PB! It's a deserving piece. Rare indeed. Dang wish I had a few of those.

Cheeers to the DDR's!
    I almost pushed buy it now....until I realized it wasn't $24.99....image
  • Oh wow !!!!
    Lost my cat Sammy tonight and am heartbroken. He followed me everywhere and am sure missing him. Coins just don't seem to mean anything to me right now
  • I am sorry for your loss you let me know if you need anything.
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lost my cat Sammy tonight and am heartbroken. He followed me everywhere and am sure missing him. Coins just don't seem to mean anything to me right now >>

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Pitboss. I've had some great cats and dogs over
    the years --- each one a "personality" in his or her own right, and part of the family.
    I'm sure you shared a nice life and home with Sammy. . . and he probably even picked
    up a thing or two about coins along the way. You have my condolences.

Thank you Dennis.

Right now I am devastated.

He should not have died and if the autopsy agrees with me I am going after that vet that botched the dental work that caused it.

That cat went everywhere with me.

I have never had a cat that was such a big part of my life as that one was.

I would like to thank everybody else on the forum also for your kind words.

Right now I don't even care about coins and really don't know if I ever will again without my partner.

He was always there with me on the computer.

<< <i>Right now I don't even care about coins and really don't know if I ever will again without my partner. >>

We all understand the grieving process and the time it takes to heal from a devastating loss in one's life. Take the time and we will see you when we see you. Remember that we too

are partners in this doubled die coin collecting adventure with you. We'll miss you too if you just drop out of sight forever. Take care in the meantime and God bless!

A doubled thumbs up to Sammy and you! imageimage
    I'm sorry for your loss PB. In my childhood I had a cat I was very close to. It's hard to lose such a good friend.

My heart goes out to you. Take a break if you need to -- but not too long. We need those rabid collector reports.
    what do you see...if anything

Just thought I'd share my recent purchase.
  • I see what you are seeing but I was not able to enlarge the pic in a way to verify it.
  • Onedollar, the first thing I noticed about that coin is that you can have a big bag mark on the coin and still get a good grade from NGC.
    It looks like it could be a ddr but hard to tell which one. Please keep us posted
    I feel better now finally after getting medication to counter the medication that broke me out in a rash because it did not agree with me.

I also just brought home a new kitten who is hiding right now as he is in a strange place.

Got 2 more bank boxes coming by Friday or Saturday so maybe my luck is changing from what the past 2 weeks of hell have left on my doorstep.

Time to continue the search!

imageimage
  • My good friend I am very glad you are feeling better as I was worried about you. You and others on here but you more so have become like a distant family member. This may sound funny but go get some good flake fish food and put a little in your hand for the kitten. It is like crack for cats! They love it as it is made from fish. My freckles loves it! Here is a pic of her.

What did you name the new kitten PB? Hoping it's Wexler, D.D., double O-6, or something related to your collecting life. Good thing you got rid of that medication that caused such a

reaction.

BTW...where did you find two new boxes? I haven't seen anything come up lately that looked promising. Well, let us know what you find and welcome back to the hunt!
    Gotta admit, that's a fine calico John. Got me missing having a mouser around. Hmmmmmmmm

PB, welcome back. Yes send us pics of the new Sammy. AND your next findings!
  • She is a coin cat also she is always steeling coins and hiding them and laying on my copy stand lol. Lets have some pics of the New family member PB.
    As soon as I can get him calmed down and out of hiding I will get a picture of him.

I have a big coin retailer looking for specific dates and specific numbers on those boxes for me.

I have bought more than 100 bank boxes from him in the past 2 years so he knows exactly what I am looking for.

He called me Sunday and told me he had located 2 boxes and did I want them.

Of course I said no.

Yea right, they will be here either Fri or Sat.

Edited for false finger moves as I never was much good at typing.
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lost my cat Sammy tonight and am heartbroken. He followed me everywhere and am sure missing him. Coins just don't seem to mean anything to me right now >>

I am really sorry to hear about loss of Sammy. I know it's a really tough thing to lose a friend and part of your family too.
  • I am telling you sereiously good quality fish food flakes and that kitten will be all over you.....
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi PB, just heard(seen) of your devastating loss! Sorry my friend. I know this happened a few days ago and your finally feeling better but I just want to let you know I as well as others do feel your pain and grief. Our pets ARE our family. We gr ow so attached to them. Some even more than certain family members. Just reading about your loss, makes me think when I lost my Siberean Husky,Jenna. I cried when we had to put her down,I rarely sob but she really got to me and my wife. Glad your feeling better. Just another comrade in this wonderful forum.-joeyimageimage

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
    I just got those 2 bank boxes today. Opened one up and all the rolls are stamped " # 2 2009-P RS" so someone has opened them and resealed them but I wont complain because they are either dumb or stupid. I found 8 rolls wit 32 on the end an 7 rolls with 25 on the end. That was what I expected though when I saw the number on the box. No need to open any of the rolls as I know what to expect in all the other rolls. Maybe I will get to the other box tomorrow.
    As usual PB you come out smelling like a rose....image Congrats (again) on another great box.

I received this today THIS

I was correct...it is an unattributed Wddr-002. So, it doesn't hit the PB scale of great finds but I'm happy.
    Good job thats the way to pick them up. Keep up the good work.
    I have looked through 5 rolls so far and found 15 025 and 34 032's.
  • that is great for you guys, glad to hear it...
    Opened 2nd box found none with any error coins on the end of the rolls and no one had stamped the rolls like the last box.
    I opened 5 rolls from that box and found no errors.
    I will strip the rolls tomorrow and put them in the bag for the credit union and not look through any more for errors.
    I don't waste time looking at bad boxes anymore.
    Check the ends and open up 5-10 rolls,if nothing, it's to the bank with them.
    I consider getting 1 out of every 2 bank boxes that are good to be an excellent average.
    It is still the fun of the chase for me.imageimage
    Beware of Hartsville coin as they have a re-roller and are re- rolling the 2009 P's before they ship them to you. That is why they are selling them for $79.95. That looks like the box I sent back to them. I told them they had better roll them tighter is they want to make people think they are good.
  • I do not like when people do that!!!!!!imageimage

<< <i>Beware of Hartsville >>

Isn't that the company you bought the 006 windfall box from? I was just looking at a new listing they have for an open bank box. The paper rolls are different than any I've seen before.

Thought it was strange that the box had been opened but they looked like older wrappings. Glad I saw your post. This box was returned by you to them?

BTW...what's happened to Papi? Haven't seen him post much lately. Hope he's alright.
    No that is not where I got the 006 windfall from. That was a party that had them from 09 and did not realize what they had. I was lucky on that one. This guy at Hartville sent me 2 boxes that were destroyed in transport and the coins were not errors anyway. The boxes broke apart and some of the rolls even broke apart. I sent them back as he said he had no problem as he had a re-rolling machine to do it. I told him he had better do a better job at rolling them than he did with these because all of them were loose. Papi is fine by the way and he is watching but taking a little break for a while.

Oh by the way I just listed 25 rolls for sale for $59.95. I have 3 lots available on that listing. The open box has 4 rolls with an 032 on the end I would suspect there would be some 25's in those rolls as well as 32's. The other 50 rolls are in an unopened box but do not know what is in there as that is a box that I got a long time ago with some other boxes that I never got around to opening. that listing # 151218070828 if anyone wants to pick up some rolls with an error on the end. Please mention you are a forum member and even if you are not the first I will open the other box and replace 4 0f the rolls with 4 rolls with errors on the end roll. Buy all 3 lots and receive 12 rolls with a 032 on the end roll along with 138 unopened rolls. Thats quite a bargain that ebay members will not be getting. Don't forget I am also finding WDDR 025 in these rolls also. Just PM me here and I will pull the ebay listing.
    Heres Brandy our new kitty. ">[IMG
  • Freckles said to say hi for her and to say that she knows Brandy will be very much loved so have fun and play a lot mmeeeoooowww
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
    SPECIAL deal today to celebrate the football season being over to all you great forum members.

Buy one of my WDDR 006, 025, or 043 MS67's today and get one of the same MS 66's at no charge. ( full price only)

This is for forum members only!

Look under stephen1327.

There are only one of each listed so be quick.

Or buy a MS 65 and get another MS 65, of my choice free.

PM me and let me know you are a forum member buying so I will know to include your free coins.
  • Of course your welcome! image Just let me know when you find any of these pennies slabbed in PCGS or NGC holders then I might
    change my mind... somewhat. We all know the godless dollars, speared bison, Minny extra trees and where those are heading.

These remind me so much like the Minnesota extra trees.. a zillion types of micro lines dots and do-dads here and there yet the
    so-called experts have picked only select few as being the best?? What?? These are not even in the red book after 4 years and
    remind me exactly like the Minnesota DDRs which have completely fell of the face of the Earth in today's market place. POOF!!!
    Telsa is one of the greatest inventors
    of all time! Render to Caesar's what is
    Caesars and give to God what is God's.
  • Sorry about your recent loss PittBoss... just remember your cat is waiting for you in a special place.

I went thru 5 cats throughout my life since I was a kid. It was nice knowing that we love them all and took care of them always.
    There are many more less unfortunate cats out there so rejoice that you gave that cat your all and that is what matters the most!

Hope you do well in your '09 FY LP2s... I found the exact times n dates on 4/29s and was selling those when they first came out on fire.
    Saving my (One of a kind) "Speared Lincoln" which is much, much better looking error than any Speared Bison nickel.

PS - Collectors put those pennies in air tight tubes or 2x2s asap or those will tone fast and the bad black rinse marks will get worse.

Telsa is one of the greatest inventors
    of all time! Render to Caesar's what is
    Caesars and give to God what is God's.

<< <i>Saving my (One of a kind) "Speared Lincoln" >>

I'd like to see a pic.

<< <i>Of course your welcome! image Just let me know when you find any of these pennies slabbed in PCGS or NGC holders then I might
    change my mind... somewhat. We all know the godless dollars, speared bison, Minny extra trees and where those are heading.

These remind me so much like the Minnesota extra trees.. a zillion types of micro lines dots and do-dads here and there yet the
    so-called experts have picked only select few as being the best?? What?? These are not even in the red book after 4 years and
    remind me exactly like the Minnesota DDRs which have completely fell of the face of the Earth in today's market place. POOF!!! >>

I understand what you are saying about the extra trees as all of them are too minor to be consider worthy of a collection. Most of the 2009 P varieties fall in the same category in my opinion but there are 8 to 12 of them that are very significant. Seven of them have already been assigned cherry pickers numbers and are so noted in the professional Redbook. These will be included in the new cherry pickers guidebook scheduled to be out next year. You can not possibly compare the skeleton finger variety with the extra leaves.

<< <i>These are not even in the red book after 4 years >>

These are in the current Professional Red Book 5th Edition (with highlighted pictures for illustration) . They also will be in the regular Red Book this year and, as Pitboss pointed out, have

been assigned CPG numbers for the upcoming Cherry Pickers Guide. No one would argue that every one of the known errors is significant or important. The general consensus among the

serious collectors of these is that there are probably only 12 or so that would make the grade as a "best of the best" in the series. I think that anyone that hasn't actually looked at the

Skeleton Finger, Extra Finger, or the double thumb, etc. would be tempted to just lump all modern doubled dies as passing fads like the extra tree or speared bison. I encourage you to

look a little closer...you might actually gain some interest and start collecting the "big" ones. imageimage I'm a doubled die-hard believer!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file