Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• IGC was the 3rd accepted at ebay. They are coming along nicely and doing a better job even Heritage will sell them now. Pluss my idea is if more than one is grading this series then that offers more incentive to NGC PCGS to move on this.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I will stick with ANACS as will most people.
  • Seems people are missing my point. One more company grading this series puts pressure on the others to follow suit and further promoting and legitimizing the series.
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Seems people are missing my point. One more company grading this series puts pressure on the others to follow suit and further promoting and legitimizing the series.
    >>

No, not missing your point. It has merit in theory. Send some in to them if you want to add another player in the grading world. See how it goes for re-sale. Just because Ebay

recognizes them doesn't give them any additional credence to experienced collectors. All you have to do is go to completed/sold listings on any coin of similar date and grade and compare

the purchase prices between ICG and PCGS or NGC. That will give you a better perspective. Anacs would not be the preferred grader for these errors if the big boys would come out

and play however they are the best we have for now as PB will attest.

As I said L.I.C., send a few samples in to ICG for grading and we can prove/disprove my position and opinion. I could be wrong..been wrong before....Good luck! imageimage
    You go to ICG with these coins and you might as well put them in your own plastic holder. People do not recognize them at all.
  • Let me try this again. By having more than one TPG handling this series it lends credibility to the series. Just because I send a coin to a TPG does not mean I will keep it in that holder. The entire point is not the holder, not the resale value but having the series graded by more than one company to apply more market stress to the top 2 TPGs. For what it is worth from much of the reading I have been doing IGC is now on par with ANACS or better in some respects. They have come a long way in the last year or so. Sometimes you have to make your market. Look at how IHs took off after Rick Snow got involved with them. If you all want these coins to go someplace you will have to get them there as they will not move on their own. I will call ICG tomorrow and see if they are accepting this series, at least the few of them in the guide with numbers, for grading. If they say yes I will send them some of mine.
    I understand what you are saying. Good luck with your submission.

<< <i>Just because I send a coin to a TPG does not mean I will keep it in that holder. >>

Two things. PCGS and NGC could not care less what ICG is doing. (nor Anacs for that matter) They will not feel any "market stress". They will only begin to grade and label these errors

once the Cherry Pickers Guide's inclusion forces their recognition. I think that's been solidly established throughout these years of discussions both directly and indirectly with the powers

that be. Dennis from Whitman Publishing took notice of this thread and ultimately gave these coins an expanded mention and pictorial in the Professional Red Book as an example of how

mountains are slowly being moved. We know that PCGS and NGC both have their ears and eyes tuned toward this and related threads and are weighing their options and calculating how,

by including them, it would affect their bottom lines. They are businessmen as well as numismatists. Patience. We have helped build it...they will come.

Secondly, why pay for a slab that you may ultimately break it out of? Do you think the coin would cross at the same grade with PCGS or NGC? I'd be a little apprehensive about that.

I do understand your train of thought however. I appreciate that you are trying to aggressively push the agenda to get these recognized by PCGS and NGC. I just don't think it will matter

to them as I've stated. Whatever your decision I wish you the best of luck. Nothing wrong with another person pushing this proverbial car out of the mud.

imageimage Let us know how it goes!
  • if putting them in a slab you will crack is useless why is it done every day? If they will not cross with a properly graded coin by IGC then they will not cross from ANACS either so why waste money on putting them in those holders. I will tell you any coin I have in any holder that is not Pcgs will be cracked and put in one when they start grading these so every one I have graded will be cracked! Why would you leave it in an ANACS holder when you could have it in a PCGS holder and get more money for it? No need to answer we all have our opinions.
    I keep mine raw...just for the reasons you stated. I am waiting for PCGS to come around. I only want to pay one time for a holder and I want the best eyes evaluating them for grades.
    PCGS does not have better eyes, they have a better following.

I wanted to go with PCGS but they did not want them so i have gone with ANACS and I will never send them in for regrading.

Others may but that is their choice after they buy mine.

I still have enough to send in for grading to PCGS when the time comes.

In the meantime others are buying what I have had graded.

<< <i>PCGS does not have better eyes, they have a better following. >>

True Dat! I stand corrected.

I know you have had great success going through Anacs PB. If any "market pressure" would have been felt it would have been because of you and others

who have made Anacs a lot richer because of their foresight regarding these doubled dies. I'm surprised Papi hasn't chimed in on this discussion or others involved in these.

Keep the faith doubled die-hards! imageimage Signing off for now.
  • well some one is bidding against me now on my 11 boxes lets see where this goes lol
    From page 1 of this thread:

<< <i>Interest has virtually disappeared.... and values are not likely to increase, actually, just the opposite. Cheers, RickO
    >>

I wonder if he has changed his mind and started collecting them after all.

Good luck Lost on your bidding war for those 11 boxes. I am not a player for those so there's one less competitor on the field for you to go up against.

$45 for shipping? Doesn't he know that Ebay charges FVF on shipping charges as well?
  • Uhha what ever you say I know it's you you cant hid from mee lol just kidding lol it is very darn#$%$#@!#$#@# cold here I dislike wisconsin very much.

I have to figure out what to do with my 2 D bank boxes, take to bank or list them?
  • I did not get them but atleast i made who ever did pay a bit more!!!!
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

So are you guys responsible pulling all the 2009's from circulation?

I was bored about a month ago and bought 4 boxes of cents from my credit union . I found about 20% copper about 2 rolls of common wheats almost a roll of Canadians and mounds of shield reverses but only 4 2009 lincoln reverse of any type. Since then I have bought some customer wrapped rolls and haven't found any 2009 at all.

• I will honestly tell you that a number of guys on this post have a hoarding problem they think they are dragons and need to sleep on piles of shinny coins lol.....
  • PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭

<< <i>I did not get them but atleast i made who ever did pay a bit more!!!! >>

So, you're rejoicing in the fact that someone outbid you? Preposterous image
  • No body ever said I was sane lol. I am a coin collector I have to be crazy to do this......
    who wants to buy some 2009 LP2 D $25.00 bank boxes that are unopened. These boxes have been known to contain errors that are potentially worth many more times that their face value. These coins are becoming very scarce in the market place as they are being hoarded for the future in which they will bring riches to the owner. When you see the beauty of these coins for yourself you will be amazed at the shear brilliance beheld by your unworthy eyes. Get thes two boxes while you can at the absolutely amazing affordable price of just 299.00 per box and if you order right now we will throw in free shipping and a free gift.

<< <i>So are you guys responsible pulling all the 2009's from circulation? >>

No, we're just searching for errors and releasing the rest into the wild. image

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So are you guys responsible pulling all the 2009's from circulation? >>

No, we're just searching for errors and releasing the rest into the wild. image >>

In 2010 -2012 I was finding plenty of 2009 lincolns sorting for copper and throwing them all back as rejects (zinc) . There are none of any of the 4 types since I started back up. granted 4 boxes is a small sample size but the shields are well represented 4 2009's out of 10,000 is crazy .
    Same guy won both auctions. 115 bids on the 11 coins and 38 on the other one. Must want a lot of 002's. I guess.
  • yep oh well you win some and loose some. He used a sniper and my internet is messing up so I lost image kind of surprised no one said anything about my sales pitch.....
    Sales pitch > Good luck getting someone here interested in those d's.
  • I was trying to give people a chuckle. The cold weather is makeing me hurt real bad today bleck!!!
  • Hey Pit Boss I noticed you have rabies I heard that the shots suck....

<< <i>I was trying to give people a chuckle. The cold weather is makeing me hurt real bad today bleck!!! >>

What cold weather is that, it' still nice here in Albuquerque.
  • -18 regular and -35 to -45 with the wind chill and my darn lungs dont like it either
    You should have stayed in Arizona instead of going back to Wisc. Thats why I left Mass 22 years ago.
  • we have a 2 year plan on moving to Tucson as long as we can keep my medical bills under controll
    Those cold climates are for the birds. Good luck on your plan to move.
  • How much do you feel is a good price for LP2 $25.00 bank boxes? Philly mint.
  • here is what is on the bpxes

CWI #015
    Jun 09 2009
    Inspected By
    #XXX1

The other two only have :

2514 & 5291 respectively.
    Just in case you think there are no more good boxes out there and how rare some of these coins can be I found a box I know would interest everyone here.

In a 2500 coin box I found one king of the 006's and 9 of his queens ( he must believe in multiple marriages).

I also found some of his princes which are the WDDO 02 in case you are not familiar with them they are the ones with the big die crack on the obverse only.

I just shows how rare these coins are when that is all you come up with in one of these most sought after boxes.

But have faith as they are still out there.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YEEOUZA PB that's a good score.

By the "king" do you mean a WDDR-006E/WDDO-002F? Were those only found in bank boxes? I've not found any yet in LP2 boxes.

Plus a group of WDDR-013C (massive die crack)? These are rather tough to find in LP2 boxes, very narrow timeframes. Harder to find than wddr-006's.

Goes to show you that these can very well be found in the wilds. Way cool!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    The king is the one with die crack on both sides.

The queen is the one with the die crack on the obverse along with the WDDO 002.

The princes are the ones with the die crack on the obverse along with the the WDDO 002 and a new reverse die to take the place of the skeleton finger die that broke.

There could not have been many of these made before that die broke too with that massive a die crack.

I have one listed on ebay now starting at $9.99 for everyone to see.

It's a great coin.

• PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Nice picture Papi, wish I had those capabilities. My pictures pretty much $uck.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got it. WDDO-002F.

That is a good shot. Is there a good picture anywhere of the WDDR-006E? I'm not sure I've seen one.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    Not sure if this find would qualify to the general population of the PCGS forum members but for this thread and the people who follow these errors I have to believe we would all be

unanimous in giving you a YOU SUCK! award. Congrats! Are you still dancing around the house? image

Keep us posted about what grades you get back from Anacs. I'm sure a few of these will find their way into a 67 holder. imageimage

• Mr. Boss does not dance around the house he fills balloons ties them to his hoverround turns on the nitrous so he can hit 5and 1/2 mph and uses a blast air horn while yelling yippy yah yahooooooooo

Here is the picture of the king I got. I hope it comes out.
    Put the pic on photobucket PB and then copy the img and paste it here. We want to see it!

ok...getting there...see if you can take better photos though...
    All I have to work with is a dino-scope and I don't have a clue how to adjust anything to get things any better. I am real stupid when it come to this computer stuff. I never could even figure out how to work a VCR never mind this stuff.
    It doesn't really matter PB, we get the idea with the pics you have. You DO know that there now will be thousands of dollars spent (and lost) in search of a similar holy grail box.

I thought I was finished buying them, but now??? Haha...thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file