Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>2011 American Eagle 25th Anniversary Silver Coin Set (A25) Price: $229.95

Looks like US Mint site has $229.95 as the price....... >>

Not if you read the red lettering on the mint's product page >>

Yes, that was mentioned on Friday when the price was noticed....
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree that the price is a tad low but why on earth would you publish a price ANYWHERE on your website if it was bogus..... >>

Because it's the bassackward mint, even they don't know if they are coming or going thru the door sometimes.

Quality Control, from the coins they sell, to the web pages that the Mint uses to sell to the public is lackluster at best.

As a Quality Control professional, I volunteer to straighten the mint out! image

Epcjim1 for President!

My single plank -

I will stop the US Mint from shipping crappy coins that do not meet the standard of acceptability to the public, the APs, the TPGs and the second tier sellers and will also get the US Mint website and server updated so it doesn't crash on ASE 25th Anny order day.
  • Options
    I thought they were upgrading their server. I remember some kind of disclaimer stating that it wouldn't be done for the 1st P Puck but that was a while ago...should be done by now
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    IIRC, web update was not scheduled to be completed sometime in 2012.
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    So, was the $229 a false alarm? or is that the magic number? To bad to get the full labeling option for grading is at 75% the cost of the item itself. Guess that's another topic, till then will you spot me while I backup, beeeep, beeeep, beeeeep....
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    What would it take to be a bulk submission?
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>And a true auction to add to the watch list, if anything it's entertainment.

link >>

So far the price looks reasonable to me. High bid at the moment is $1325, which for 5 sets works out to $265 per set. >>

You are correct...At first I thought it was for one set & not 5
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    229.95 seeems low, $259 seems like a more reasonable number given current pricing of proof/unc ASE
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>229.95 seeems low, $259 seems like a more reasonable number given current pricing of proof/unc ASE >>

I, for one, am glad silver semi-tanked before these get priced (and hope it stays down until these go on sale). I was seriously thinking it was going to be $349, so this "saves" me $100/set.
    Woohoo image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure,

for a bulk submission you need 100 coins that are the same. Like 100 ASE proofs.

I will not work with this, unless you get 100 sets of 5 for 500 coins, if you have that, give pcgs a call .

• Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What would it take to be a bulk submission? >>

the above reply was for this previous post....

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Minimum 100 coins

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>And a true auction to add to the watch list, if anything it's entertainment.

link >>

Unbelievableimage And the bidders are not eBay newbies. >>

The stupidity of bidders never ceases to amaze me.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>Here is a breakdown on how much it can cost to grade 5 sets:

$14 (grading fee) + $18 (First Strike designation)= $32 per coin

$32 x 25 coins= $800

$800 + $29.95 (shipping) + $8 (handling)= $837.95

But PCGS is having now a quarterly special of grade 5 for the price of 4 so it will come out to $640 + $90 (First Strike designation for the "free" graded coins) + $29.95 + $8= $767.95

Dont forget that you will also be paying to ship them the coins so you might as well budget for $800 worth in grading fees.

Have fun for those who want to do that. I may just have to do one submission every other month to even afford that, which means I will have to keep the mint box sealed

The potential for these sets is huge if it is all graded a perfect 70. The 2006 sets are going for over $1,000 which means these could potentially fetch over 1500 with 70s across the board. >>

I'll be grading a lot of these for sure. That said, these - and most coins - look SO much better in the OGP.
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

My sentiments exactly. The only reason I grade is for resale.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options

<< <i>

Minimum 100 coins >>

Thanks. Looks like the way to go with a minumum grade of ms/pr 69
  • Options
    These coins are going to be really hard to get. Be prepared for some disappointment.
  • Options

<< <i>These coins are going to be really hard to get. Be prepared for some disappointment. >>

How hard would it be to get them on the day of release. Many of us went through ordering the Lincoln Coin and Chronicles set. This should be no different.

Im ready for an hour wait to order...are you??? If you are then it should be easy to acquire them
  • Options
    I wouldn't even bother trying to order at noon. I plan to wait until 14:00 or so. By then, or shortly after, I think that it's likely that one will be able to log on and order in minutes.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>These coins are going to be really hard to get. Be prepared for some disappointment. >>

How hard would it be to get them on the day of release. Many of us went through ordering the Lincoln Coin and Chronicles set. This should be no different.

Im ready for an hour wait to order...are you??? If you are then it should be easy to acquire them >>

If similar to the Lincoln C&C sets, just order that night... I waited until around 5pm and was able to get through and place my order in a couple of minutes. Had my mom order me a second set the next day w/o any trouble.

I don't think the Mint could take 100k orders in a single day, even if the demand were there.
  • Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think the Mint could take 100k orders in a single day, even if the demand were there. >>

But could they handle 20,000 orders in a single day (limit 5 sets per order)?
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    While ordering later could prove easy it could also guarantee a longer wait for shipping. Remember there is a 30 day window for FS eligibility...image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't think the Mint could take 100k orders in a single day, even if the demand were there. >>

But could they handle 20,000 orders in a single day (limit 5 sets per order)? >>

That website crashes if 5 people hit the refresh key at the same time!
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

These sets are front page news in Coin World today. The director of the Mint's Office of Public Affairs, Tom Jurkowsky, is quoted as indicating there will be just 100k sets made available, with 5 sets per HH. I'm not sure what the Mint is thinking. It does seem like the prudent thing would be to have a lower # of sets per HH for the first week, then upping it if necessary. If these sell out as fast as I suspect, there will be no end to the criticism generated from the 5 / HH limit. They do seem to enjoy controversy.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭
    Lets hope Silver takes it on the chin this week.

I have 20 sets to spring for image

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Drat....they removed the $229.95 price from the upcoming products page....it now says price "to be determined" in both places

Going up

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Not having these graded at all. Will keep sealed in boxes of 5. Hopefully all FS eligible. If only 100K, my guess is they are already minted and all will ship hopefully in the 30 day window. Lets hope silver takes a dive.
  • Options
    EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭
    why dont they just call it first graded , vs first strike, that what it really is
  • Options
    It's got to be driving the Mint crazy to see that the price isn't rising rapidly. I'm sure they would love to see it zoom to over $40.00 by the beginning of next week.

Good Luck to everyone here on the 27th.

This forum has been very good to me with its advice. And I'm all in on this one also.
  • Options

<< <i>Drat....they removed the $229.95 price from the upcoming products page....it now says price "to be determined" in both places >>

Let's say silver is $33/oz when these are released. That's $165 melt + the special packaging + proofs = $279 in my book. I'd be happy with anything under $300 though. image
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Well, looks like the presale floodgates are opening...Several single sets sold @ $590.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, looks like the presale floodgates are opening...Several single sets sold @ $590. >>

local coin dealer at show , buying at $50 above mint price .. looks like another 2006 Gold rush ,,as in anniv sets
  • Options
    I really don't like the first strike thing but understand that some will pay a premium for it. I'm guessing a coin graded 69 will have very little if any premium whether it's first strike or not. So why not send them all in to get graded w/o First Strike, saving you a ton of grading fees. Then, if you're lucky enough to get some grades of 70, send those back in for reholdering w/ the FS label... shouldn't be a problem to do this provided you can get the 70s back to PCGS before the FS cut off date. Then you're only paying that huge FS fee on the top graded examples and not on all of the losers.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Won a kayak from mikes lemonade 700 bucks but there cutting me a check instead so whatever that buys I"m in for. wooohooo 2 sets maybe 3 ? that would be cool Enjoy image I also hope silver drops this next week image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Well, looks like the presale floodgates are opening...Several single sets sold @ $590. >>

Not to put a jinx on anything...but this is exactly the type of over the top behavior that will cause the Mint to lower the order limit from 5 to 1!

AND...not to be thick or anything...but how do you presell anything for a price that's still TBD? What happens if these things end up going for $500 (granted, not very likely) each?
  • Options

<< <i>Well, looks like the presale floodgates are opening...Several single sets sold @ $590. >>

As to the buyers, "Stupid is as stupid does."

I can understand dealers offering $50 over cost.

However, these moronic buyers in Ebay deserve to be ripped off.

HOW can they read in ad after ad that 100K will be issued and not just do a Google search to find out how to buy thier own direct??? This just astounds me.
  • Options

<< <i>While ordering later could prove easy it could also guarantee a longer wait for shipping. Remember there is a 30 day window for FS eligibility...image >>

True, however as we all know so well, they are not necessarily shipped out in the order that the orders were placed. We've seen this time after time.
  • Options

<< <i>These sets are front page news in Coin World today. The director of the Mint's Office of Public Affairs, Tom Jurkowsky, is quoted as indicating there will be just 100k sets made available, with 5 sets per HH. I'm not sure what the Mint is thinking. It does seem like the prudent thing would be to have a lower # of sets per HH for the first week, then upping it if necessary. If these sell out as fast as I suspect, there will be no end to the criticism generated from the 5 / HH limit. They do seem to enjoy controversy. >>

I LOVE the limit - how else can I get 15-20 sets? Don't give them ideas :-)
  • Options

<< <i>why dont they just call it first graded , vs first strike, that what it really is >>

They know that the term is meaningless (that's why another company calls them ER). It's just marketing - and the marketing works.
  • Options

<< <i>I really don't like the first strike thing but understand that some will pay a premium for it. I'm guessing a coin graded 69 will have very little if any premium whether it's first strike or not. So why not send them all in to get graded w/o First Strike, saving you a ton of grading fees. Then, if you're lucky enough to get some grades of 70, send those back in for reholdering w/ the FS label... shouldn't be a problem to do this provided you can get the 70s back to PCGS before the FS cut off date. Then you're only paying that huge FS fee on the top graded examples and not on all of the losers. >>

It does not work that way.

By the time that you sent them back the FS deadline would be LONG gone.

What wastes money is to send in obvious 69s or worse. Cherry pick, but absolutely do FS. The premium on one FS 70 will likely make up for the FS fees for many coins.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I really don't like the first strike thing but understand that some will pay a premium for it. I'm guessing a coin graded 69 will have very little if any premium whether it's first strike or not. So why not send them all in to get graded w/o First Strike, saving you a ton of grading fees. Then, if you're lucky enough to get some grades of 70, send those back in for reholdering w/ the FS label... shouldn't be a problem to do this provided you can get the 70s back to PCGS before the FS cut off date. Then you're only paying that huge FS fee on the top graded examples and not on all of the losers. >>

What wastes money is to send in obvious 69s or worse. Cherry pick, but absolutely do FS. The premium on one FS 70 will likely make up for the FS fees for many coins. >>

Correct...BUT....you can't cherry pick these...
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Correct...BUT....you can't cherry pick these... >>

Correct. If you open the package from the mint, 3 of the 5 coins loose the "25th anniversary" designation immediately.

You must repack the US Mint box in another box and ship to PCGS and request ,if desired, all of the OGP to be sent back to you with the coins.
  • Options

<< <i>

Correct. If you open the package from the mint, 3 of the 5 coins loose the "25th anniversary" designation immediately. >>

So get them graded first w/o FS... then when you get them back in the mail, graded with the "25th anniversary" designation, make a nice little pile of your 70s and then send them back for reholdering w/ the FS label... cherrypick them after they are graded image
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Correct. If you open the package from the mint, 3 of the 5 coins loose the "25th anniversary" designation immediately. >>

So get them graded first w/o FS... then when you get them back in the mail, graded with the "25th anniversary" designation, make a nice little pile of your 70s and then send them back for reholdering w/ the FS label... cherrypick them after they are graded image >>

Assuming some of the bullion coins grade 70. They will be the hardest to get in MS70, IMO. But hey, you'll have 5 chances to get one or more in 70, if you play by
    the rules and only order the household limit of 5 sets.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

What wastes money is to send in obvious 69s or worse. Cherry pick, but absolutely do FS. The premium on one FS 70 will likely make up for the FS fees for many coins. >>

Correct...BUT....you can't cherry pick these... >>

Why can't you cherry pick these?
  • Options

<< <i>

Correct. If you open the package from the mint, 3 of the 5 coins loose the "25th anniversary" designation immediately.

You must repack the US Mint box in another box and ship to PCGS and request ,if desired, all of the OGP to be sent back to you with the coins. >>

Got it. I forgot about that. The 2011 S & the RP could ne cherry picked but not the others.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I bought 30 sets of the 2006s and did not too so well in the grading, so guess I will do the same this time, However, I will not have them graded just kept sealed. PCGS in 2006 was not grading the ASEs in MS 70. They changed that in 07 I believe and the floodgates were open for the 70s.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

So get them graded first w/o FS... then when you get them back in the mail, graded with the "25th anniversary" designation, make a nice little pile of your 70s and then send them back for reholdering w/ the FS label... cherrypick them after they are graded image >>

By the time you get them back it will be too late to send them back for FS.
  • Options

<< <i>I bought 30 sets of the 2006s and did not too so well in the grading, so guess I will do the same this time, However, i will not have them graded just kept sealed. >>

This is my plan too....I was going to grade but $700+/5 sets is too much for me. I may just keep them sealed.

Of course if full 5-coin 70 sets are going for moon money, it might not be a bad gamble....which just might happen.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file