Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I read in nn that mintages will exceed 100K! But I will be buying anyway. just hope it stays under 250K. >>

link?? >>

According to Numismatic News, more than 100k sets may be produced , "depending on production scheduling at the Philadelphia Mint."

Link
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and they show a sample of the case with ASE proofs as place holders

when I first found out about this, "the guy in charge" was at the mint HQ sales counter "borrowing 5 ASE proofs" to put in for show and tell at a meeting.

<< <i>Mintage is somewhat indefinite. Peterson said the Mint will produce up to 100,000 sets, but that number could edge somewhat higher depending on production scheduling at the Philadelphia Mint. >>

anything under 200k and I think it's still hot. And the wording "edge someshat higher" seems like it could mean closer 125k than 175k. So.... I'm hoping and looking for a lower number and maintained hot-ness.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    So, if the US Treasury sees this as a cash cow (huge demand out the gate), would they just keep minting and minting and minting . . . until the demands drops off. Also, will each coin be minted at its respective mints or will they all be minted at the Philadelphia Mint ("depending on production scheduling at the Philadelphia Mint").
  • Options
    They also have to start making next year's circulating coins and 2012 ASEs and so forth later in the year.

I predict they will have some limit on the mintage and stop there so they can prepare and mint for next year.

And I don't know of a time where one mint used another's mint mark. Perhaps it is poor wording on the writer's part or maybe poor expression from the Deputy Director???
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, if the US Treasury sees this as a cash cow (huge demand out the gate), would they just keep minting and minting and minting . . . until the demands drops off. >>

Treasury sees nothing about the US Mint as a "cash cow." Most of what gets minted for collectors is done so only because someone in Congress wanted it to happen and attached it to a bill.

The things I don’t always agree with are always worth considering.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Someone has a set of FS silver 3 coin 2006 for sale on the BST currently and has a picture with the gold set also, but the gold has been sold. So they should be FS eligible in the mint sealed boxes.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>and they show a sample of the case with ASE proofs as place holders

when I first found out about this, "the guy in charge" was at the mint HQ sales counter "borrowing 5 ASE proofs" to put in for show and tell at a meeting.

<< <i>Mintage is somewhat indefinite. Peterson said the Mint will produce up to 100,000 sets, but that number could edge somewhat higher depending on production scheduling at the Philadelphia Mint. >>

anything under 200k and I think it's still hot. And the wording "edge someshat higher" seems like it could mean closer 125k than 175k. So.... I'm hoping and looking for a lower number and maintained hot-ness. >>

The fact of the matter is that the 2006 20th Anniversary Set cost $100 out of the gate yet today they are nearly impossible to touch at $300. This tells me a couple of things: (Since all the banter which is occuring over the coins on the 25th Annoversary Set occured with the 20th Anniversary Set)

1. The Silver Eagles are tremendously popular with a HUGE collector base.
    2. Mintages or quantities available does not really seem to matter (kinda like those 55/55 or 09SVDB Lincolns) as folks just want these. As such, they will have huge premiums associated with them.
    3. The ONLY place to get a 2011-P Reverse Proof will be the 25th Anniversary Set which will support the Premiums.
    4. The ONLY place to get a 2011-S Mintmarked BU Silver Eagle will be the 25th Anniversary Set which will fortify the Premiums.

Of course, those are just my opinions as I really have no clue why things are the way they are! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So, if the US Treasury sees this as a cash cow (huge demand out the gate), would they just keep minting and minting and minting . . . until the demands drops off. >>

Treasury sees nothing about the US Mint as a "cash cow." Most of what gets minted for collectors is done so only because someone in Congress wanted it to happen and attached it to a bill. >>

This there a law (Bill) authorizing this set or was it just an idea from the Mint?
  • Options

<< <i>I predict they will have some limit on the mintage and stop there so they can prepare and mint for next year. >>

I agree but from a different perspective...I think they will limit mintage to around or at 100k because they can charge more for the set by creating two unique low mintage coins..as I said in another post collectors will scoop them up at ANY price.....

It's all about the Benjamins
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Don't know where this set is headed. Lets hope Silver stays at $32. 5 x $32 = $160 with a usual 30% premium The set could sell for $225. I am all in. I was looking at $350 a set just this Monday. This will be a gift from the mint. Mortgage the house if you have tooimage What worries me though if they don't lower the Gettysburg 5 oz P Puck than the set may not be so cheap.
  • Options

<< <i>I was looking at $350 a set just this Monday. >>

...and I think you will still be looking at a $350 set on the sales day
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    If I decide to send some off to PCGS, why wouldn't I only send the 2011-S and the RP? Is it worth the $80 each to send the other three?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Treasury sees nothing about the US Mint as a "cash cow." Most of what gets minted for collectors is done so only because someone in Congress wanted it to happen and attached it to a bill. >>

This there a law (Bill) authorizing this set or was it just an idea from the Mint? >>

This is simply a US Mint offering since they do have the flexibility within the Silver Eagle Legislation to produce "collector" coins.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If I decide to send some off to PCGS, why wouldn't I only send the 2011-S and the RP? Is it worth the $80 each to send the other three? >>

Hmmm.....let's see.......SETS?? image
    Some folks want SETS and that will mean "25th Anniversary" on EACH coin in the set.
    While it's true that some folks will only want to augment what they have with the 2 you are stating, there is, I believe, a larger audience that will want a whole set.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>If I decide to send some off to PCGS, why wouldn't I only send the 2011-S and the RP? Is it worth the $80 each to send the other three? >>

Well using the 2006 sets as a guide:

2006 W MS70 without the 20th label

PCGS MS70

Same coin WITH the label:

MS70 20th

(actually sold at $750 best offer)

Might be worth grading the set
  • Options
    JaLPJaLP Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    Boucharda,
    2 links to the same coin.
  • Options
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When do these sets go on sale? I don't see them listed on the Mint's web page yet. image
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options

<< <i>ms70 20th >>

Thank You...image
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When do these sets go on sale? I don't see them listed on the Mint's web page yet. image >>

That's the $64,000 question. I wonder if the Mint knows.
  • Options
    Subscription orders are being processed at this time and this coin should be released by 10/10/11, I would suggest. I don't believe the Mint will be adjusting prices for this issue.
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Subscription orders are being processed at this time and this coin should be released by 10/10/11, I would suggest. I don't believe the Mint will be adjusting prices for this issue. >>

I don't see anything on the US Mint website about this product much less any subscription orders. Do you have a link. image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>When do these sets go on sale? I don't see them listed on the Mint's web page yet. image >>

That's the $64,000 question. I wonder if the Mint knows. >>

The way things are going, not until silver goes back up about 15 dollars an oz.
  • Options

<< <i>Subscription orders are being processed at this time and this coin should be released by 10/10/11, I would suggest. I don't believe the Mint will be adjusting prices for this issue. >>

1) thread is about a "set"

2) No subscriptions

3) Can't adjust a price that hasn't been announced

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

??? ... Need a link.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I think they're talking about the subscriptions for the other ASE stuff.
  • Options
    Doesn't explain the 10/10 "release" date....the other coins are in people's hands already.. Nothing scheduled to be released on 10/10
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Are the ASEs still having the milk spot problems? I sold all mine a few years ago due to this but haven't seen any buzz about it lately. Will definitely buy the 25th and maybe the 20th. Thanks. Bob
    Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Milk spots are not a problem as long as you have some oreo spots to go with them.image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    Yummy!
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    when does the mint plan on date to sell
    dont send sheep to kill a wolf...
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

That's the $64,000 question. I wonder if the Mint knows. >>

The way things are going, not until silver goes back up about 15 dollars an oz. >>

You're probably right - especially after yesterday's "Black Friday".
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    I really don't think price will be much of a factor. If they mint fewer than 200,000, the Mint could price the sets at $1000 each and they'd still sellout!
  • Options

<< <i>when does the mint plan on date to sell >>

the only word is "october"

they are definitely in the works.

patience.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>when does the mint plan on date to sell >>

the only word is "october"

they are definitely in the works.

patience. >>

I have no patience.
    I want my SAE sets NOW!!!!!

Hopefully a release date will be set so I can order a few sets.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Mint rep just told me that they go on sale Oct. 27, high noon. Be there or be saquare :-)
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<A Mint rep just told me that they go on sale Oct. 27, high noon. Be there or be saquare :-) >>

I also predict the price for the set will at least be somewhat lower than our earlier predictions (which will be nice). There is no way the Mint can ignore such a significant drop in the underlying bullion. Otherwise the premium over spot is going to be off the hook!

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<A Mint rep just told me that they go on sale Oct. 27, high noon. Be there or be saquare :-) >>

I also predict the price for the set will at least be somewhat lower than our earlier predictions (which will be nice). There is no way the Mint can ignore such a significant drop in the underlying bullion. Otherwise the premium over spot is going to be off the hook! >>

I hope you are right, a 50 to a 100 dollar price drop would be just what the doctor ordered.

I still don't understand why they haven't listed them yet in the schedule.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    <<I hope you are right, a 50 to a 100 dollar price drop would be just what the doctor ordered.>>

At least $50 or $100 off...as right now, with a $300 price tag, we'd be running at something like 110% over spot!

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<I hope you are right, a 50 to a 100 dollar price drop would be just what the doctor ordered.>>

At least $50 or $100 off...as right now, with a $300 price tag, we'd be running at something like 110% over spot! >>

Hey, we "ALL need to pay our fair share." image
  • Options

<< <i>Otherwise the premium over spot is going to be off the hook! >>

You mean like the P Pucks???
  • Options
    ASE Proofs and Gettysburg are down for repricing. This is a good sign. If silver holds at $30 we will get a better indication of the price for ASE Anniversary Set.
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    The annual sets also, I'm thrilled to see this.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With silver down so low this morning I bought a MintDirect™ 2011 1 oz Silver American Eagles(20-Coin Tube) for under 700 hundred shipped from Apmex but now I just need to figure out how to raise the money to buy 5 sets, I really hope it is the end of October so I can sell a couple fishtanks on Craigslist image
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

<< <i>ASE Proofs and Gettysburg are down for repricing. This is a good sign. If silver holds at $30 we will get a better indication of the price for ASE Anniversary Set. >>

UHG!

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>ASE Proofs and Gettysburg are down for repricing. This is a good sign. If silver holds at $30 we will get a better indication of the price for ASE Anniversary Set. >>

Silver spot is at $33.37 this morning. It will be up near 40 by the time the 25th ASE set comes out.
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    > Silver spot is at $33.37 this morning. It will be up near 40 by the time the 25th ASE set comes out.
    Hey look, a prognosticator. image

-Keith
  • Options
    Yes. I believe Silver will be up by the time the set goes on sale. Probably be at $40 again. Up $5 dollars from its lows to $32 already.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes. I believe Silver will be up by the time the set goes on sale. Probably be at $40 again. Up $5 dollars from its lows to $32 already. >>

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Based on silver right now (Thursday morning), I'm going to predict a price of $259.99 for the anniversary set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file