Home U.S. Coin Forum

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Lets see, 5 household limit thats 20,000 unique buyers, maybe more like 25K as not everyone will buy the max. These should sell out fast.

Also if you are buying 5, Mint will will probably ship in a big oversized box with 5 boxes inside - knowing PCGS they won't accept the inner boxes as mint sealed as they won't have any labelling on them. >>

If you want individual sealed boxes, place five different single orders. >>

Thats a fail, as more then likely they will just bundle them up together anyway. Unless you think you can spread orders out over days and weeks which won't happen as they will SO before that. But you are welcome to try your approach :> >>

5 orders = 5 boxes

1 order of 5 = 1 box

I have experience with this sort of thing.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Lets see, 5 household limit thats 20,000 unique buyers, maybe more like 25K as not everyone will buy the max. These should sell out fast.

Also if you are buying 5, Mint will will probably ship in a big oversized box with 5 boxes inside - knowing PCGS they won't accept the inner boxes as mint sealed as they won't have any labelling on them. >>

With my luck, the one that I don't send to PCGS will be the one with the Reverse proof 70 in it. >>

There will be one OGP box with a lid holding all five in a single row.

The boxes they are talking about are the boxes the orders will come in.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>ttt >>

how many you getting Capt?

I'm in for 5

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in for zero until the Mint nails down the price and the maximum mintage.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• As long as they don't top 250k or come within close range they should be fine. Even if they do, that is still pretty low for ASE mintages....for the one--or possibly two--unique coins in the set anyway. My two cents.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭
    If the 2011 uncirculated ASE W is coming out on Sept 15, will PCGS honor the First Strike Label for this coin in the unopened set since it will be coming out a month and half later? I think they did these for the 2006 gold anniversary but not sure if they honored this for the 2006 silver anniversary set sealed because the mint produced the 2006 ASE Uncirculated before the anniversary set came out. Anbody remember. I do remember some of my sets not being able to get the FS label in 06.
  • CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If the 2011 uncirculated ASE W is coming out on Sept 15, will PCGS honor the First Strike Label for this coin in the unopened set since it will be coming out a month and half later? I think they did these for the 2006 gold anniversary but not sure if they honored this for the 2006 silver anniversary set sealed because the mint produced the 2006 ASE Uncirculated before the anniversary set came out. Anbody remember. I do remember some of my sets not being able to get the FS label in 06. >>

Two different labels. ASE W for individual coins. ASE W 25th Anniversary for those sent to PCGS sealed. Thus, this will be the distinction between the two and the reason PCGS will require seal Anniversary sets for them to distingish between them. The same goes for the proof coins and bullion coins. It won't matter for the ASE S mint and the RP coins as these will only be made available in the 5 coin sets.
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I guess we can't open the box if we want to get the San Fran label or 25th anniversary label for all coins except the reverse proof from PCGS? >>

That S-Mint should be marked. If not then......another fail by the Mint. >>

9-12-11 CW states the 2011-S will have the S mint mark and the same burnished surface as the 2011-W.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

With my luck, the one that I don't send to PCGS will be the one with the Reverse proof 70 in it. >>

There will be one OGP box with a lid holding all five in a single row.

////
    What does PCGS charge to return the presentation boxes?
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

There will be one OGP box with a lid holding all five in a single row. >>

What does PCGS charge to return the presentation boxes? >>

$2.00 per box was the last figure I'd heard. However that was a couple of years ago and things may have changed since then.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    I think the price to return packaging is already in the handling fee/first strike pricing. Not sure if it will change for this special packaging. ASE Proofs are repriced at $68.45. This price change will likely bring the set up to the $400-$430 range. Bummer. I cancelled my 4 9/11 medals since I am putting all my reserves in the anniversary set. Those prices went up also to $66. Curious if those that locked in the $55 price of these medals still can purchase them at that price since they have not shipped yet?
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To paraphrase Adlai Stevenson, “Flippers unite! You have nothing lose but your speculative cash!
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone have anything new on the 25th set? Will PCGS put "25th Anniversary Set" on the label on all "S" and reverse proof coins since they are unique to the set?
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thats a fail, as more then likely they will just bundle them up together anyway. Unless you think you can spread orders out over days and weeks which won't happen as they will SO before that. But you are welcome to try your approach :> >>

Orders are packaged and shipped by order number. Five different order numbers (even if they are consecutive), five different shipments from the fullfillment center. I experienced this with previous orders that I specifically wanted in separate shipping boxes.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• That is correct...but I would have all my hair pulled out after trying to place 5 separate single orders on day one.....
  • While these will likely sellout relatively quickly you should have no problem waiting until 8PM to place your orders and not have to deal with all the frustration of fighting everyone else to get in your orders at noon sharp or whatever time it is they go on sale. But I figure that's a chance 99% of you are not willing to take. I'll be kicking back while y'all curse and post your frustrations on these boards about how slow the Mint site is then later that night when you're fast asleep I'll go in and click, click, click, submit in forty seconds flat. image

S!
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    As long as you don't care about the FS window that could work just fineimage
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>While these will likely sellout relatively quickly you should have no problem waiting until 8PM to place your orders and not have to deal with all the frustration of fighting everyone else to get in your orders at noon sharp or whatever time it is they go on sale. But I figure that's a chance 99% of you are not willing to take. I'll be kicking back while y'all curse and post your frustrations on these boards about how slow the Mint site is then later that night when you're fast asleep I'll go in and click, click, click, submit in forty seconds flat. image

S! >>

Ah, the old don't rush to buy, be like me and sit back until 8PM ruse. Clever! image

• << <i>As long as you don't care about the FS window that could work just fineimage >>

What is the criteria for FS? A quantity sold limit? An order placed in time cutoff? You can't order same day and get a FS designation?
  • I kind of enjoy being part of the intial clog on the Mint servers. I guess I don't like to take my chances.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin

• << <i>

<< <i>As long as you don't care about the FS window that could work just fineimage >>

What is the criteria for FS? A quantity sold limit? An order placed in time cutoff? You can't order same day and get a FS designation? >>

I thought I was the only one that had no idea what he was referring to.....

<< <i>

<< <i>As long as you don't care about the FS window that could work just fineimage >>

What is the criteria for FS? A quantity sold limit? An order placed in time cutoff? You can't order same day and get a FS designation? >>

PCGS First Strike: submitted for grading within 30 days of initial mint release (mint sealed box required for those coins released earlier than the special set, ie. bullion, regular proof)

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any idea why the Mint hasn't listed this yet on the schedule?
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

<< <i>Any idea why the Mint hasn't listed this yet on the schedule? >>

Requires planning ahead. US Mint is a branch of the Treasury Dept.

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<While these will likely sellout relatively quickly you should have no problem waiting until 8PM to place your orders and not have to deal with all the frustration of fighting everyone else to get in your orders at noon sharp or whatever time it is they go on sale.>>

But I enjoy being part of the initial scrum...and if I wasn't I wouldn't be able to complain about the Mint's slow servers! And what fun would that be?
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I thought I was the only one that had no idea what he was referring to..... >>

Geez, my understanding is that in order to qualify for FS, the coins must be submitted for grading within the first 30 days of release OR submitted in a Mint sealed shipping box which contains a date of shipping which is within the 30 day window.

Unless they've changed things, ordering at 8PM and having order number 60,000 might guarantee you a set, but it might ship after the 30 day cutoff.

Am I wrong?...I haven't played the game in a long time.

<< <i>Geez, my understanding is that in order to qualify for FS, the coins must be submitted for grading within the first 30 days of release OR submitted in a Mint sealed shipping box which contains a date of shipping which is within the 30 day window. >>

That has been my understanding.

derryb, can you clarify yor answer - "PCGS First Strike: submitted for grading within 30 days of initial mint release (mint sealed box required for those coins released earlier than the special set, ie. bullion, regular proof)"
  • I read in nn that mintages will exceed 100K! But I will be buying anyway. just hope it stays under 250K.

<< <i>derryb, can you clarify yor answer - "PCGS First Strike: submitted for grading within 30 days of initial mint release (mint sealed box required for those coins released earlier than the special set, ie. bullion, regular proof)" >>

My answer does need clarification. Casman is correct: "my understanding is that in order to qualify for FS, the coins must be submitted for grading within the first 30 days of release OR submitted in a Mint sealed shipping box which contains a date of shipping which is within the 30 day window."

Since the bullion, collector W and proof were released individually earlier, the ones included in the set would probably have to be submitted from day 1 in their mint sealed box to be FS eligible (if PCGS will even FS label them since they were released individually earlier).

<< <i>

<< <i>derryb, can you clarify yor answer - "PCGS First Strike: submitted for grading within 30 days of initial mint release (mint sealed box required for those coins released earlier than the special set, ie. bullion, regular proof)" >>

My answer does need clarification. Casman is correct: "my understanding is that in order to qualify for FS, the coins must be submitted for grading within the first 30 days of release OR submitted in a Mint sealed shipping box which contains a date of shipping which is within the 30 day window."

Since the bullion, collector W and proof were released individually earlier, the ones included in the set would probably have to be submitted from day 1 in their mint sealed box to be FS eligible (if PCGS will even FS label them since they were released individually earlier). >>

They did give FS labels in 2006 with similar circumstances.

<< <i>I read in nn that mintages will exceed 100K! But I will be buying anyway. just hope it stays under 250K. >>

link??

no seet date.

they have already issued a PR about it, so it is coming.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

no seet date.

they have already issued a PR about it, so it is coming. >>

I hear yah but I needed to jungle some things in order to have 2k to purchase 5 sets.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Since this set would be considered a newly issued set then the 30 day window for FS WITH THE 25th Anniv. label should start after the 1st set is shipped

No/yes???
  • I thought these were supposed to go on sale today.
  • No, that's just the uncirculated ones.

-Keith
    After 5 years you can still get a reverse proof in the $220-$250 range. I am guessing not all ASE collectors want these in their collection with only 250,000 minted. I estimate about maybe 500K collectors out there but I think even this is too high.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Since this set would be considered a newly issued set then the 30 day window for FS WITH THE 25th Anniv. label should start after the 1st set is shipped

No/yes??? >>

Yes...but your Mint shipping box must remain unopened to qualify, since the proof, bullion & W- unc. version have already been issued.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! 500k collectors!
    My guess would be maybe 100k and I can not imagine too many seriou collectors that would not want the RP.
    Guess we may not know but I am beginning to be a bit suspicious as to how many collectors there are of any of the modern series.

One example would be the First Spouse medals or coins, or commem silver dollars or gold or even silver ATB quarters (let alone the 5 ouncers).

I am still going to collect but sometimes get the feeling that a broader spread collapse of collector issues may be immanent - time will tell methinks.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
    look at past mintage figures.

the number of proofs minted greatly exceeds 100k. (except for the key 95W whose current market price is up there). 100k is too low, imo.

I'm still calling the RP and Unc-S coins in this set "semi-key."

get on this train or miss out on an easy one.

• << <i>

<< <i>Since this set would be considered a newly issued set then the 30 day window for FS WITH THE 25th Anniv. label should start after the 1st set is shipped

No/yes??? >>

Yes...but your Mint shipping box must remain unopened to qualify, since the proof, bullion & W- unc. version have already been issued. >>

The question I was commenting on was in regards to the fact that the W ASE and the PF and bullion which have already been released and will be past the 30 day window for FS....

Will a sealed set still get THESE THREE COINS a FS label or not? I know that it has to be sealed for the 25th label.....

I don't remember FS being on ANY labels in 2006...(and I set in over 30 sealed sets)
    I remember that these got a FS if in a sealed box for all three in 2006 even after the the MS was on sale before the set came out. Like the 2010 ATB 5 oz bullion maybe PCGS will ignore the 30 day window for these sets.
    I am basing the collector base on the yearly sales of the proofs which average about 800-900K a year. 400K of that total maybe from dealers and hoarders.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if I would accept the proof mintages as indicator of collector numbers; go to a show or dealer and see STACKS almost unending of proofs....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

No/yes??? >>

Yes...but your Mint shipping box must remain unopened to qualify, since the proof, bullion & W- unc. version have already been issued. >>

The question I was commenting on was in regards to the fact that the W ASE and the PF and bullion which have already been released and will be past the 30 day window for FS....

Will a sealed set still get THESE THREE COINS a FS label or not? I know that it has to be sealed for the 25th label.....

I don't remember FS being on ANY labels in 2006...(and I set in over 30 sealed sets) >>

Lots of FS labels made with the 20th Anniv Sets. Therefore, the criteria will be the same for the 25th Anniv Sets. ( I had about 20 ... 20th anniv. sets with the FS label at one time) Don't forget...First Strike label aint free and wasn't free in 2006...you had to request it and of course, pay for that privileage.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    Will PCGS accept the 8 FREE gradings membership vouchers for grading the 25th Aniversary ASEs?
    yes, but it only covers grading and not the first strike fee.

also, all 8 must be used at once. if you only send in 5, then you lose the other 3.

• I bet there will be mucho comment about the price of the set now that silver had been beeeeeach slapped back to earth....I'm sure the Mint will not take that into consideration (kinda like the $279 pucks...Helloooooooooooooooo!)

They probably should have sucked up their greed and priced the set when silver was at $43 ($7 ago)

<< <i>yes, but it only covers grading and not the first strike fee.

also, all 8 must be used at once. if you only send in 5, then you lose the other 3. >>

Thanks, but they say no "Special Issues," so I was concerned the 25th ASE was a "Special Issue."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file