Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be sellin' off my non-key date platinum $50 coins (2005 and 2006) and try and get all five per household...
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    it would cost almost $1000 to grade an entire box of 5 sets, 25 coins. FS of course.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>> I prefer NOT having too much competition.

Exactly, this set stinks, no one buy it. ;-)

-Keith >>

Exactly. And stay off of Teletrade! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>it would cost almost $1000 to grade an entire box of 5 sets, 25 coins. FS of course. >>

Did you include FS costs image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>More reason why I should be the only one that purchases them:

Keep in mind that they will have to be submitted sealed, sight unseen to obtain a special label. Hopefully they will be better quality than the 2011 ASE proofs were upon their initial release. Hopefully the returned proofs weren't set aside for the sets. image >>

Silver eagle novice here that needs advice. What price are we looking at to send one of these sets to PCGS for grading and do you plan on sending in all 5 sets for grading? I had planned on getting 5 sets, sending one in for grading, and keeping the other 4 sealed in the mints boxes but wouldn't I have to open the mints box to get to the 5 sets. Am I stuck having to send all 5 in for grading? image

Thanks in advance >>

Place five separate orders. It will take days for these to sell-out.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Apparently the mint director said the mintage of these sets may go higher than 100,000, surprise, surprise.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>it would cost almost $1000 to grade an entire box of 5 sets, 25 coins. FS of course. >>

Did you include FS costs image >>

It'll be worth it since I believe than the odds of achieving an MS or PR 70 increase and sets with MS/PR70 coins will hit 1 to 2 grand very quickly.

It's kinda crazy but its true. A PR/MS70 20th Anniversary First Strike SAE Set can easily sell for 2 grand today.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Did you include FS costs image >>

It'll be worth it since I believe than the odds of achieving an MS or PR 70 increase and sets with MS/PR70 coins will hit 1 to 2 grand very quickly.

It's kinda crazy but its true. A PR/MS70 20th Anniversary First Strike SAE Set can easily sell for 2 grand today. >>

Oh shibby, it looks like I have to start selling some other stuff to get ready for this........image
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>For the 20th Anniversary Silver 3-pc sets, it took from what, October to December to sell out 100,000 sets?

There were 250,000 of them, I believe. You are correct however, in that it took a few months for the sellout to gather steam. >>

250k 2006 ASE sets sold out in two weeks >>

That article is wrong. It was a few months for the sellout. To be sure my order history shows filled orders from Sept 12 through October 30th 2006. IIRC, I was late to order as well.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I bought two of the 20th Anniversary sets and
    will most likely do the same again for the 25th.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Apparently the mint director said the mintage of these sets may go higher than 100,000, surprise, surprise. >>

This is the 1st I've heard that it may be higher...will the maximum mintage be posted when these go on sale?
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>More reason why I should be the only one that purchases them:

Keep in mind that they will have to be submitted sealed, sight unseen to obtain a special label. Hopefully they will be better quality than the 2011 ASE proofs were upon their initial release. Hopefully the returned proofs weren't set aside for the sets. image >>

Silver eagle novice here that needs advice. What price are we looking at to send one of these sets to PCGS for grading and do you plan on sending in all 5 sets for grading? I had planned on getting 5 sets, sending one in for grading, and keeping the other 4 sealed in the mints boxes but wouldn't I have to open the mints box to get to the 5 sets. Am I stuck having to send all 5 in for grading? image

Thanks in advance >>

Place 5 1 set orders, you will have to pay the $4.95 shipping each though.

First Strike grading will be 800-1000 depending on service for 25 coins.
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< Apparently the mint director said the mintage of these sets may go higher than 100,000, surprise, surprise. >>

Well...if true, that would directly contradict the Mint's own press release which stated..."The United States Mint plans to produce up to 100,000 American Eagle 25th Anniversary Silver Coin Sets with a household order limit of 5 sets in effect."
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    I did not see a link to the story yet, so here is one.
    Sorry if this is a duplicate:
    link
  • Options
    I guess we can't open the box if we want to get the San Fran label or 25th anniversary label for all coins except the reverse proof from PCGS?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>For the 20th Anniversary Silver 3-pc sets, it took from what, October to December to sell out 100,000 sets?

There were 250,000 of them, I believe. You are correct however, in that it took a few months for the sellout to gather steam. >>

250k 2006 ASE sets sold out in two weeks >>

That article is wrong. It was a few months for the sellout. To be sure my order history shows filled orders from Sept 12 through October 30th 2006. IIRC, I was late to order as well. >>

I agree.

Orders were taken in August and once the collecting community found out that the 2006-W would be offered separately, noses turned toward the skies! It was actually quite funny the number of comments that were posted wondering why the US Mint was charging so much for packaging (remembering that Silver was at $12.50 per oz)!

Orders seriously lagged until the sets started shipping and reselling for $200 to $300 on ebay. When that started, then the flipping machine kicked in yet there were still over 100,000 left to sell. I believe that October 12th was the official receipt date for when orders (made in August) began hitting the public. My credit card expired between the time I ordered in August and when folks started receiving them causing me to have to cancel the order (as told by the CS Rep) and resubmit a new order which did not arrive until early December which was well past the First Strike Cutoff Date.

In the mean time, First Strike MS/PF70 coins were selling for upwards of $2 grand each with complete MS/PF70 Sets commanding close to $5 grand with that First Strike Label. Some still command hefty premiums although no where near what they once were.

This should be an incredible wave and I would NOT be surprised, given the track record of the 20th Anniversary Sets, if this one sells out very quickly. There MIGHT even be a call to limit orders to one per household which also would not surprise me. If thats the case, then I'll get my brother to order one while I put mine in a Dansco.

For these 25th Anniversary Sets, the biggest problem is going to be Milk Spots. Some of them will spot like nobodies business while others will not. Those that do not should retain their high premiums.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>I guess we can't open the box if we want to get the San Fran label or 25th anniversary label for all coins except the reverse proof from PCGS? >>

Correct. image

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>I guess we can't open the box if we want to get the San Fran label or 25th anniversary label for all coins except the reverse proof from PCGS? >>

That S-Mint should be marked. If not then......another fail by the Mint.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

That S-Mint should be marked. If not then......another fail by the Mint. >>

The official press release from the Mint states that the following five coins will be included as part of the 25th Anniversary American Silver Eagle Set:

¡one 2011 Silver Eagle Proof Coin from the United States Mint at West Point
    ¡one 2011 Silver Eagle Uncirculated Coin from the United States Mint at West Point
    ¡one 2011 Silver Eagle Uncirculated Coin from the United States Mint at San Francisco
    ¡one 2011 Silver Eagle Reverse Proof Coin from the United States Mint at Philadelphia
    ¡one 2011 Silver Eagle Bullion Coin

the word out is that the Unc. will be mint marked S & W

but I don't know if the Unc ASEs to be released in Sept. will be W only, S only or both.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>but I don't know if the Unc ASEs to be released in Sept. will be W only, S only or both. >>

"or both" - Now, that would put an interesting twist on the whole thing, now wouldn't it
  • Options
    The ASE unc to be released 9/29/11 will have the "W" mint mark per the US Mint website. The 5-coin set will include an uncirculated "S" coin and a reverse proof coin, both unique to the 5-coin set.
  • Options
    The bottom line to my question was: if you want a 25th anniversary label on any coin
    that is in the 25th set that is also available individually, you can't open the box, because
    PCGS would not be able to tell if the coin submitted was actually from the set or cherry
    picked from another source. This excludes, of course, the reverse proof, because it
    can only be obtained in the 25th set.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The ASE unc to be released 9/29/11 will have the "W" mint mark per the US Mint website. The 5-coin set will include an uncirculated "S" coin and a reverse proof coin, both unique to the 5-coin set. >>

We know the first sentence is true.

The second sentence wording of "unique" is not mentioned anywhere in the USM literature. However, we hope this is the case.
  • Options
    JohnT58JohnT58 Posts: 61 ✭✭
    Thanks, R95. I've been lurking for years and have picked up a number of useful tips from the group. I finally decided that it was time to get an ID and start contributing.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it was 250k and my first box of 10 I rec one PR-70 Rev proof and rec 6k for it. That was the start of a good year to come.image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing there will be 18 label combinations:

2011 bullion.
    2011 bullion, First Strike.
    2011 bullion, 25th Anniversary Set.
    2011 bullion, 25th Anniversary Set, First Strike.
    2011 bullion struck at San Francisco.
    2011 bullion struck at San Francisco, First Strike.
    2011-W proof.
    2011-W proof, First Strike.
    2011-W proof, 25th Anniversary Set.
    2011-W proof, 25th Anniversary Set, First Strike.
    2011-P reverse proof, 25th Anniversary Set.
    2011-P reverse proof, 25th Anniversary Set, First Strike.
    2011-W uncirculated.
    2011-W uncirculated, First Strike.
    2011-W uncirculated, 25th Anniversary Set.
    2011-W uncirculated, 25th Anniversary Set, First Strike.
    2011-S uncirculated, 25th Anniversary Set.
    2011-S uncirculated, 25th Anniversary Set, First Strike.

With all the attention being paid to this forthcoming set, I don't expect any of the First Strikes to be scarce.

When the dust settles, I expect the 2011-S burnished Silver Eagle to be the most expensive coin from the set, due to more collector demand for the uncirculated/burnished coins than for the proof coins. At 100,000 mintage, the 2011-S will share major key status with the 2008-W reverse of 2007 (which is a variety that many collectors do not consider essential to their sets).

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    on the S Unc, and P Rev Pr, they may just label all of them 25th ann. no matter what.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Does it make good financial sense to get the PCGS 25th label, or is there a good financial argument for keeping them ungraded or for opening them and only sending the coins that have a shot at 70?
  • Options

<< <i>

Yes it was 250k and my first box of 10 I rec one PR-70 Rev proof and rec 6k for it. That was the start of a good year to come.image >>

Oh hell yes and I admit I hope to get 5 sets, send all in for grading asap, and hopefully score like that.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    $5x$32(FS and Modern)=$160+Shipping to and from $34+$8 handling Fee=Total of $202 in grading Fees. Ouch. Probably leave my sets sealed. It think these will priced at around $349 from the mint based on the 5 oz Pucks pricing if Silver stays at $40.
    The P Pucks are $279 right now for 5 ounces. Add a $$70 premium for the packaging. Can always hope silver will dive to $32. I wonder if they will have 100K set ready for shipment. If not, than it could limit the First Strike label.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Under $375 and I'm in for 2 or 3.
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I had known about this before I bought the UNC and Proof separately image

JH
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>$5x$32(FS and Modern)=$160+Shipping to and from $34+$8 handling Fee=Total of $202 in grading Fees. Ouch. Probably leave my sets sealed. It think these will priced at around $349 from the mint based on the 5 oz Pucks pricing if Silver stays at $40.
    The P Pucks are $279 right now for 5 ounces. Add a $$70 premium for the packaging. Can always hope silver will dive to $32. >>

5 sets X 5 coins X $32 (FS and Modern) +$50 shipping plus $8 equals $858 per sealed case of 5 sets.

$2800 to buy 5 sets and grade. woohoo, let em come.

Joe
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>$5x$32(FS and Modern)=$160+Shipping to and from $34+$8 handling Fee=Total of $202 in grading Fees. Ouch. Probably leave my sets sealed. It think these will priced at around $349 from the mint based on the 5 oz Pucks pricing if Silver stays at $40.
    The P Pucks are $279 right now for 5 ounces. Add a $$70 premium for the packaging. Can always hope silver will dive to $32. >>

5 sets X 5 coins X $32 (FS and Modern) +$50 shipping plus $8 equals $858 per sealed case of 5 sets.

$2800 to buy 5 sets and grade. woohoo, let em come.

Joe >>

I would think there will be a lot of these sets graded. No low numbers here. But still a nice set.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    st0ckyst0cky Posts: 66 ✭✭
    Talk about exciting. I wasn't sure if the Mint was going to release a 25th anniversary set, considering the previous two were released on the 10th and 20th anniversary.

I can't wait to see the product picture.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Will they change the household limit from 5 to 1? I think they want to get rid of these as fast as possible. As far as fair distribution among collectors I don't think they care this time around.The 10 per household limit was in place for the 2006 Anniversary sets. Below is the product listing for the 2006 Silver Anniversary Set

American Eagle 20th
    Anniversary Silver Coin Set
    (A10)
    To help mark the historic occasion of the
    20th anniversary of the American Eagle
    Coin Program, the United States Mint is
    pleased to offer, for the first time ever, a
    reverse proof version of the American
    Eagle Silver Coins. Specially prepared
    dies were created to give these coins
    their spectacular finish. Both the proof
    and uncirculated American Eagles carry
    the “W” mint mark of West Point while
    the reverse proof coins carry the “P”
    mint mark of Philadelphia.
    This stunning set of three 2006-dated
    silver coins includes one American Eagle
    Silver Proof Coin, one American Eagle
    Silver Uncirculated Coin and one
    American Eagle Silver Reverse Proof
    Coin. By reversing the mirror-like finish
    of a traditional proof coin and applying it
    to the design elements of the coin, a
    magnificent contrast is achieved on the
    silver reverse proof. All of the coins are
    struck with a rendition of Adolph A.
    Weinman’s timeless Walking Liberty
    design from 1916. This three-coin
    collection is housed in an injection
    molded case that is finished with a highgloss
    lacquer and features a textured,
    embossed leather top pad to enhance
    the set’s appearance. A Certificate of
    Authenticity is included.
    This set is limited to 250,000 units, so
    order yours today.

Order Limits: American Eagle 20th
    Anniversary Silver Coin Set -- 10
    units per household.

To ensure the broadest and most fair
    access to this United States Mint product,
    the order limit is in effect during the first
    thirty (30) days of release. At the end of
    the initial thirty-day period, and each
    thirty-day period thereafter, the United
    States Mint will reevaluate and either
    extend, adjust or remove the limit.
    Shipping of the American Eagle
    Anniversary Coin Sets is expected to
    begin mid-October, 2006, and take 10
    - 12 weeks to complete.
    Price: $100.00 Qty. 1
    Product will be available for
    shipping 12/08/2006
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The ASE unc to be released 9/29/11 will have the "W" mint mark per the US Mint website. The 5-coin set will include an uncirculated "S" coin and a reverse proof coin, both unique to the 5-coin set. >>

The second sentence wording of "unique" is not mentioned anywhere in the USM literature. However, we hope this is the case. >>

I agree. THey may pull a fast one and sell the S-mintmarked coin, if there is one, and the reverse proof as singles. They pulled that surprise on us in 2006 with the Burnished Unc. which we ASSUMED would on ly be issued in ther three-coin set.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The second sentence wording of "unique" is not mentioned anywhere in the USM literature. However, we hope this is the case. >>

I agree. THey may pull a fast one and sell the S-mintmarked coin, if there is one, and the reverse proof as singles. They pulled that surprise on us in 2006 with the Burnished Unc. which we ASSUMED would on ly be issued in ther three-coin set.
    TD >>

Oh man I hope that doesn't happen. I myself really like the thought of it just being a complete set without anything additional to buy later.

I would have loved to have been able to buy the 2010 ATB series, P's & B's in a set from the mint.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be all over these like Buffet on banks, like Ben on copters, like Chavez on gold, like Jen on Brad.

Sealed for prosperity!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭
    I'm excited thinking about it. Should look beautiful. Wondering if they're going to do the same for AGE's. What would that cost, $9.500???
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    the rumors say only a silver ASE set.

• Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm excited thinking about it. Should look beautiful. Wondering if they're going to do the same for AGE's. What would that cost, $9.500??? >>

Only if they improve their quality control. The last two 2011W UNC AGE I received from them have issues visible to the naked eye. In fact, I received two bullion versions that here much better quality than the mint issued coins. Truly a sad situation.
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks, R95. I've been lurking for years and have picked up a number of useful tips from the group. I finally decided that it was time to get an ID and start contributing. >>

JohnT58,

Welcome to the forum boards.

Bob
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    Lets see, 5 household limit thats 20,000 unique buyers, maybe more like 25K as not everyone will buy the max. These should sell out fast.

Also if you are buying 5, Mint will will probably ship in a big oversized box with 5 boxes inside - knowing PCGS they won't accept the inner boxes as mint sealed as they won't have any labelling on them.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lets see, 5 household limit thats 20,000 unique buyers, maybe more like 25K as not everyone will buy the max. These should sell out fast.

Also if you are buying 5, Mint will will probably ship in a big oversized box with 5 boxes inside - knowing PCGS they won't accept the inner boxes as mint sealed as they won't have any labelling on them. >>

If you want individual sealed boxes, place five different single orders.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

If doing 5 orders be prepared to be on line a long time!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Lets see, 5 household limit thats 20,000 unique buyers, maybe more like 25K as not everyone will buy the max. These should sell out fast.

Also if you are buying 5, Mint will will probably ship in a big oversized box with 5 boxes inside - knowing PCGS they won't accept the inner boxes as mint sealed as they won't have any labelling on them. >>

If you want individual sealed boxes, place five different single orders. >>

With my luck, the one that I don't send to PCGS will be the one with the Reverse proof 70 in it.
  • Options

<< <i>

If you want individual sealed boxes, place five different single orders. >>

Thats a fail, as more then likely they will just bundle them up together anyway. Unless you think you can spread orders out over days and weeks which won't happen as they will SO before that. But you are welcome to try your approach :>
  • Options
    According to Numismatic News, more than 100k sets may be produced , "depending on production scheduling at the Philadelphia Mint."
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file