Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Mint Website now verifies limit of 100k. >>

Excellent. Appears to have been added today. I was skeptical of the 100k but this solidifies it. It does pay to be wary.

$299 sounds about right given current spot and the 5 coins and presentation. These might go quick.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    >>

What is Mint time anyway? >>

I believe Philly is EST [Eastern Standard Time]
  • Options
    johnjinxjohnjinx Posts: 365 ✭✭✭

Definitely excellent news. Can't wait till the 27th. Hope the website can keep up.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint Link

edited to add: Will be an online Mint debacle on Thursday....especially with 5 sets per customer!!!
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Does this qualify for frothy frenzy status?
    It does seem like a lot of people all on one side of the boat.
    (I'm fired up and can't wait to get as many boxes as possible)
  • Options
    do you think the mint will let you call in once and place 5 different orders for the same item???
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe the greed and the way that people want to work around the system (which screws others who are playing by the rules).
    Flipping is fine. Even having a 2nd set of flips imho......but to try to work around everything and go whole hog for greed?

Whatever.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Should I login first and then go to American Silver Eagles to await for it to appear? Thanks.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Should I login first and then go to American Silver Eagles to await for it to appear? Thanks. >>

That's what I'm having my three kids and two brothers do.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Yep 299.95 . . . from mint press release:

Pressroom

Subject to change:

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any ideas about what graded sets will be going for in the aftermarket? $500? More?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Glad to hear the 100,000 limit is in place. That and $299.95/set seems very fair. image
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>Any ideas about what graded sets will be going for in the aftermarket? $500? More? >>

Pricing will be determined primarily by:

1. How quickly these sell out next Thursday.
    2. How many sets get flipped.

No big secret here. Simple supply and demand.

The one thing that's been bothering me about this offering is the HH limit of 5. It's almost as though they want a quick sellout to get these out of the way. They certainly seem to be clueless as to what this will mean for the collecting public. They don't seem to have learned a thing from the ATB fiasco. I'm beginning to wonder if anyone is really in charge over there.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    I called across the street and they are NOT offering an Early Release label. They did not think it applied to some of the coins in the set. They will offer a special 25th Anniversary Set label.

That makes sense...
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I called across the street and they are NOT offering an Early Release label. They did not think it applied to some of the coins in the set. They will offer a special 25th Anniversary Set label.

That makes sense... >>

Ok this is why I asked, is our host putting labels on the five saying 25 anniversary? If so than I may not pay for the FS . As long as the five coins come back in a 25 anniversary label, first strike will really mean nothing. Guess will wait and see. Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Any ideas about what graded sets will be going for in the aftermarket? $500? More? >>

The one thing that's been bothering me about this offering is the HH limit of 5. It's almost as though they want a quick sellout to get these out of the way. They certainly seem to be clueless as to what this will mean for the collecting public. They don't seem to have learned a thing from the ATB fiasco. I'm beginning to wonder if anyone is really in charge over there. >>

Since when does the mint make cents image

it doesn't matter to the mint, if they have 20,000 or 100,000 orders for them, they will make more of a profit from selling 5 at a time than 1.

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't believe the greed and the way that people want to work around the system (which screws others who are playing by the rules).
    Flipping is fine. Even having a 2nd set of flips imho......but to try to work around everything and go whole hog for greed?

Whatever. >>

Fail

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone remember 2006? I bring this up because they set the "limited mintage" for the "set." And then they sold individual coins in a different box. (Excluding the reverse proof) Hopefully this will not repeat and 100,000 means just that.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I doubt very much they made extra of the 2 key coins in this set and there will not be time to go back and make more of them as I am sure they

are already making the 2012's. What they came out with in 2006 was the burnished w and it could not be labeled as part of the anniversary set

so it is the rarest of the W minted coins at this point.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>Yep 299.95 . . . from mint press release:

Pressroom

Subject to change:

HH >>

I was more impressed by the number of Facebook Likes than the price announcement...Almost 70,000 LIKES and this was just posted...Looks like people apparently like this item...image
  • Options

<< <i>

Pressroom

Subject to change:

HH >>

I was more impressed by the number of Facebook Likes than the price announcement...Almost 70,000 LIKES and this was just posted...Looks like people apparently like this item...image >>

Thats a whole lot more Likes than coins at 5 a person will even come close to satisfying. Good luck to the donks buying one at a time to get their 5
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What they came out with in 2006 was the burnished w and it could not be labeled as part of the anniversary set

so it is the rarest of the W minted coins at this point. >>

Huh? I don't understand what you are saying.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So...I assume the general consensus is that $300 is a pretty fair price for the set..all things considered?

And does anyone have any thoughts on if MCM will be offering a premium to flip sealed boxes to them?
  • Options

<< <i>So...I assume the general consensus is that $300 is a pretty fair price for the set..all things considered?

And does anyone have any thoughts on if MCM will be offering a premium to flip sealed boxes to them? >>

Well they do have a buy post on the BST board.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>

The one thing that's been bothering me about this offering is the HH limit of 5. It's almost as though they want a quick sellout to get these out of the way. They certainly seem to be clueless as to what this will mean for the collecting public. They don't seem to have learned a thing from the ATB fiasco. I'm beginning to wonder if anyone is really in charge over there. >>

I sorta figgered that. Was hoping for a more profound comment like at least issue price. imageWould $500 be a good price to sell at?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt very much they made extra of the 2 key coins in this set and there will not be time to go back and make more of them

I don't think they will issue more than the 100,000 of these two coins, but of course they could.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<And does anyone have any thoughts on if MCM will be offering a premium to flip sealed boxes to them? >>

<<Well they do have a buy post on the BST board. >>

I'm having trouble finding it...what are they offering???
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<And does anyone have any thoughts on if MCM will be offering a premium to flip sealed boxes to them? >>

I'm having trouble finding it...what are they offering??? >>

Look again, it's right there on the first page. Go down the originator column until you see ModernCoinMart.
  • Options

<< <i><<And does anyone have any thoughts on if MCM will be offering a premium to flip sealed boxes to them? >>

I'm having trouble finding it...what are they offering??? >>

right now about the middle a page 2

Here's what we can tell you so far:

1) We don't know what we're paying until sometime in between when the mint figures out what they are charging and the morning of sale.
    2) In spite of #1, we will make every effort to be the "higher buyer".
    3) We will be buying sealed boxes only.
    4) You can "pre-confirm" the morning of the 27th by email but you must follow up with USM order numbers by 7pm ET or we reserve the right to cancel transaction.
    5) Once we have your USM order numbers it's a non reversable deal. You must deliver sealed sets, and we must pay as agreed.
    6) Our checks mail within one business day of receipt of coins, and FedEx is available at no charge if requested. (min 5 sets for free FedEx)
    7) We will NOT pay your shipping and insurance on less than 5 sets. We WILL pay your shipping and insurance in exact amount up to $35 total on 5 or more sets but it is ultimately your responsibility that the sets arrive to our office safely.
    8) You must ship the sets to us within two (2) business days of your receipt from the USM.
    9) Opened USM boxes will be returned.
    10) Our buy price will likely be higher if you can confirm 20 or more sets.

Preferred method of communication is email. PM's not good.
    george@moderncoinmart.com

Thanks!
    George at MCM
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>So...I assume the general consensus is that $300 is a pretty fair price for the set..all things considered?

And does anyone have any thoughts on if MCM will be offering a premium to flip sealed boxes to them? >>

For graded sets, one would think that you would need to get about $425 a set just to break even.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>

For graded sets, one would think that you would need to get about $425 a set just to break even. >>

if you sold the MS/PR69 set for $444.00 on ebay with paypal and ebay fees in the $40 range

you break even in $ not in time wasted

the only way you could really make anything is you get 5 MS/PR70's out of 25 at min

I should get grades in 2 weeks, so I will have that info for when the set start shipping

I sent in 25 silver eagle as a test run for this,

10 2010 PR w
    10 2011 PR W
    5 2011 MS W

to see what 70's % I get , most likely I will be paying for plastic image
  • Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    On the mint site it says that shipping is expected to begin in late November...
    Does that mean the sets wont be sent out until a month after purchase? I am new to buying from the mint, so I don't know if that's commonplace or not...
  • Options

<< <i>On the mint site it says that shipping is expected to begin in late November...
    Does that mean the sets wont be sent out until a month after purchase? I am new to buying from the mint, so I don't know if that's commonplace or not... >>

Common, they will most likely start shipping mid Nov, 2 to 3 week after initial sales. and will be on backorder status the moment you order image
  • Options

<< <i>

Pressroom

Subject to change:

HH >>

I was more impressed by the number of Facebook Likes than the price announcement...Almost 70,000 LIKES and this was just posted...Looks like people apparently like this item...image >>

When you click on other news releases they have identical numbers of "Likes." So the "Likes" apply to all Mint news releases, not just the 25th Anniversary one.
    It's a bummer- it would be nice to know how many people liked that one compared to the others.
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Price is posted on the Mint website at $299.95.
  • Options

<< <i>Price is posted on the Mint website at $299.95. >>

Someone needs to do a Hitler downfall, about the 25th anniver set.
  • Options

<< <i>

Someone needs to do a Hitler downfall, about the 25th anniver set. >>

Amazing now the better deal is the p puck never thought I would see that and after buying all those others at 60 an ounce I may skip these at the 60 and go pick up a a new puck for 229.95. Many choices..................Enjoyimage

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Someone needs to do a Hitler downfall, about the 25th anniver set. >>

Amazing now the better deal is the p puck never thought I would see that and after buying all those others at 60 an ounce I may skip these at the 60 and go pick up a a new puck for 229.95. Many choices..................Enjoyimage >>

No way Tommy, stick with the 25TH ann sets.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    Hey cakes Is it time for another flipper adventureimage MilesWaits had the record for unopen box sale. Where is he at? Wonder where these will stack up against the flip on those, You"re right will stick with the 2 sets...........Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

bet your dollar these will move up substantially on the feabay.. will you get ebay bucks with these sets on ebay ?
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    newbie kinda question...

other than scrambling to do a quick flip(not interested)
    and remembering that the 2010 ATBs which only had about 27,000ish minted appear to have gone on to somewhat now crash in price and seen to be for sale everywhere all the time and with few buyers,
    other than buying and keeping the 25th SE set for their beauty/simple collectability
    there may be no invertment return on these if held longer term.
    Is that correct?
    Thanks in advance!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there may be anything to happen with the parice, however the collective opinion here is :: "white hot" issue. these should retain value over issue price in the years to come.

to better address the issue:

the pucks were a new product with unknown demand. it was hot, but faded as the number of collectors was found to be lower than the initial panic.

ASEs have a long established and wider collector base. The bet is a more sure with these.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭

<< <i>newbie kinda question...

other than scrambling to do a quick flip(not interested)...
    there may be no invertment return on these if held longer term.
    Is that correct?
    Thanks in advance! >>

There are an aweful lot of collectors of ASEs. The issues that are limited and not offered separately should bd highly sought after years from now.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I called across the street and they are NOT offering an Early Release label. They did not think it applied to some of the coins in the set. They will offer a special 25th Anniversary Set label.

That makes sense... >>

Ok this is why I asked, is our host putting labels on the five saying 25 anniversary? If so than I may not pay for the FS . As long as the five coins come back in a 25 anniversary label, first strike will really mean nothing. Guess will wait and see. Enjoy image >>

According to PCGS customer service, only 2 coins will qualify for the FS label: the S unc and the rev. prf. You also
    must submit the box sealed to get the 25th Anniv. Label. on all 5. So if you're looking for label uniformity on the
    set of 5, you will have to forgo FS altogether. Interesting dilemma.

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

That makes sense... >>

Ok this is why I asked, is our host putting labels on the five saying 25 anniversary? If so than I may not pay for the FS . As long as the five coins come back in a 25 anniversary label, first strike will really mean nothing. Guess will wait and see. Enjoy image >>

According to PCGS customer service, only 2 coins will qualify for the FS label: the S unc and the rev. prf. You also
    must submit the box sealed to get the 25th Anniv. Label. on all 5. So if you're looking for label uniformity on the

set of 5, you will have to forgo FS altogether. Interesting dilemma. >>

image If you could not get FS on all of them that would Suck big time!
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to JohnT58(OP) for having well over 500 posts in his first thread!!!!
    That's quite an achievement.....BongoBongo would be proud!

• Options

Yes it is. But where did he go? image

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>According to PCGS customer service, only 2 coins will qualify for the FS label: the S unc and the rev. prf. You also
    set of 5, you will have to forgo FS altogether. >>

Hum, now that really sounds goofy! Why would PCGS forgo a cash cow like this? They just cut-out 3/5ths of their First Strike profits on some silly notion three coins don't qualify for First Strike when in the real world, there is no coin that can really be known to be a First Strike. Did someone quit the Mint and go to work for them?

Well, I guess now I may just open the boxes and see if the two eligible coins may make the 70 grade. If not, they won't get to grade any of them. Then again, I may just flip the unopened boxes.
  • Options

The irony here is that there is a rumor going around that every coin in this set is the result of a special production run. If true, that would lend some justification to having them all classified as first strikes.

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    glad to hear that the 3 coins already past the deadline won't be allowed a new First Strike run... sure, many disagree with the meaning of "first strike" but at least PCGS appears to be following it's own definition.

Personally, I've never paid for FS labels and likely never will pay extra for them anyways, so it definitely works for me, but I understand some people are in love with them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file