Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Dayum. Missed #600 by 1!
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Why no 25th in gold?
  • Options

<< <i>Why no 25th in gold? >>

Maybe because it's the "Silver Anniversary"? image

I'll bet there will be a huge 50th "Golden Anniversary" for the AGE in 2036! image Let's hope we're all around to see that day! image
    "In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation [...] Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights." - Alan Greenspan
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Why no 25th in gold? >>

Maybe because it's the "Silver Anniversary"? image

I'll bet there will be a huge 50th "Golden Anniversary" for the AGE in 2036! image Let's hope we're all around to see that day! image >>

If I'm lucky enough to survive, will I care?
  • Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    OK, just one final question image
    If someone wanted to buy more than 5 sets and had more than one credit card with different billing addresses, BUT they had similar names and I was using the same computer (same IP address) would that work or no? Just curious if anyone else has encountered this with ordering online with the mint.
    Not trying to be "greedy" and don't even know if I want more than 5 sets, just want to see what my options are image
    thanks guys
  • Options

<< <i>OK, just one final question image
    If someone wanted to buy more than 5 sets and had more than one credit card with different billing addresses, BUT they had similar names and I was using the same computer (same IP address) would that work or no? Just curious if anyone else has encountered this with ordering online with the mint.
    Not trying to be "greedy" and don't even know if I want more than 5 sets, just want to see what my options are image
    thanks guys >>

You aren't the only person who wants more than 5 sets, look at the offers from MCM and the like and it's your business what you do with them anyway. Probably the safest way is to ask a friend or family member (not living at the same address) to order under their name, address, and credit card and reimburse them. Good luck!
  • Options
    After reading all the hype about this set i have decided to buy one.The question is will
    i still be able to buy one (or 2) after the initial frenzy at about 5-6pm ET?
  • Options
    You shouldn't have any problems. I'm guessing that it may take 2-3 days to sell out, but I've been wrong before! image
    "In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation [...] Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights." - Alan Greenspan
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You shouldn't have any problems. I'm guessing that it may take 2-3 days to sell out, but I've been wrong before! image >>

You're being to optimistic...it will take several weeks to sell out.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭✭
    With 5 sets per household, I'd say it will take at least 3 weeks to sell out.
    I wish there is an S mint mark in Proof instead of Unc. image
  • Options
    doesnt seem like there is any way they would last 3 weeks...

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll go with if you don't get in the first day or two you are taking a chance of being out. But that is just me.image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭
    I was going to buy just one but after reading this thread, it may be a good investment to purchase more than one.
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry for anyone holding the 2006-P RP...better sell quick, there will be a steep price drop. >>

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. The anniversary sets bring in people new to collecting, and stimulate interest in other keys. No reason there isn't a RP subset one day.

Personally, I'd be very happy having both in my collection.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dayum. Missed #600 by 1! >>

Hmmmm, too bad they don't have a number for that! image
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I am expecting a less than 24 hour sell out. I hope I am wrong.
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think when we wake up Friday morning they will all be gone...............image
  • Options

<< <i>I think when we wake up Friday morning they will all be gone............... >>

That is entirely possible. If you get your order in by late Thursday afternoon, or even early Thursday evening, you should be fine.

I figure 6 hours minimum time to sell-out.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be shocked if these sets sell out within 24 hours at that price point and with a household limit...unless people try and break the rules by ordering multiple orders of 5.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd be shocked if these sets sell out within 24 hours at that price point and with a household limit...unless people try and break the rules by ordering multiple orders of 5. >>

They can't break the rules, the Mint will kick out any orders over 5, period. Oh, if you mean like MCM offering a bonus for people to order 5 sets for them to grade and resell, doesn't appear to be anything illegal. Most likely it will work itself out though, as lots of people will not order the max anyway. I'll guess within 24 hours for a sell out.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Let's run the numbers and assume the number per set ordered from the mint is more towards the max limit of 5 sets, rather than the min.

100,000 sets @ the 5 max limit order = 20,000 orders divided by 24 hr in a day = 844.44 orders per hr for a 24 hr sell out and establishes an order rate

I think the mint can support this order volume, based on my previous experience.

Not all orders will be for five sets, so assuming an avg, 3.75 sets per order and a max order rate of 844 per hr. -

100,000 sets @ 3.75 sets per order avg = 26,666 orders, divided by an assumed 844.44 orders per hr processed by the mint - 31.6 hrs to sell out

31.6 hr is about 1 1/3 days to sell out assuming the average order is 3.75 sets and the order rate is 844 per hr.

I'm calling for 32 - 54 hr total sellout based on my admitted total speculation and assumptions.

Let me know if I win anything. image
  • Options
    Back in 2006, the much anticipated 20th Anniversary set needed 3-wks or more before selling out, and each household could buy 10 sets max at $100/set.
    This time, the price is higher, the household limit is 1/2, the sell out period will be at least the same or longer. image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Back in 2006, the much anticipated 20th Anniversary set needed 3-wks or more before selling out, and each household could buy 10 sets max at $100/set.
    This time, the price is higher, the household limit is 1/2, the sell out period will be at least the same or longer. image >>

Didn't the mint sell 250,000 2006 sets compared to only 100,000 2011 sets?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were also 250,000 sets in 2006.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

<< <i>There were also 250,000 sets in 2006. >>

Didnt know that. That will definitely effect the sell-out time
  • Options

<< <i>There were also 250,000 sets in 2006. >>

..and the limit was 10 per household instead of 5
  • Options

<< <i>Let's run the numbers and assume the number per set ordered from the mint is more towards the max limit of 5 sets, rather than the min.

100,000 sets @ the 5 max limit order = 20,000 orders divided by 24 hr in a day = 844.44 orders per hr for a 24 hr sell out and establishes an order rate

I think the mint can support this order volume, based on my previous experience.

Not all orders will be for five sets, so assuming an avg, 3.75 sets per order and a max order rate of 844 per hr. -

100,000 sets @ 3.75 sets per order avg = 26,666 orders, divided by an assumed 844.44 orders per hr processed by the mint - 31.6 hrs to sell out

31.6 hr is about 1 1/3 days to sell out assuming the average order is 3.75 sets and the order rate is 844 per hr.

I'm calling for 32 - 54 hr total sellout based on my admitted total speculation and assumptions.

Let me know if I win anything. image >>

You should automatically win something for doing all that math image
  • Options
    < There were also 250,000 sets in 2006. >>

..and the limit was 10 per household instead of 5

Good point, and I think that is a good indication that you can use the sell-out time for that issue as a gauge for this one..as twice the mintage, but double the ordering limit in 2006 should equate pretty much to the 2011 set.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    But was the hype in 2006 the same as it is now?
  • Options
    Also, I don't think the tv sellers and moderns dealers were as active at using proxy buyers as they are today.
  • Options
    Lets not forget of all the ones that canceled there orders then got locked out after they wanted the set. And the mint had alot going on that year as well. If you buy good if you dont your loss I'am in for my fill of 10 set's.image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sellout in less than 72 hours for sure. I think the mega-seller networks will wipe these out before we know what has happened. I know I'm not going to wait around to place my order.
  • Options
    But was the hype in 2006 the same as it is now?

It was as far as I recall, even more so as this 2011 set has not really been publicized and was not even on the list of the upcoming mint products. If I weren't posting on this board, I wouldn't even be aware of it.

Edit to add: I won't be chancing it, though, and will put my order in on Thursday morning for 5 sets..

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Edit to add: I won't be chancing it, though, and will put my order in on Thursday morning for 5 sets.. >>

Any order placed prior to 1200 EDST won't be honored.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My prediction...come next Saturday and these will be gone!
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>But was the hype in 2006 the same as it is now? >>

I don't recall a big Whooptie Doo in 2006? I know it was discussed, so maybe some of you expert searchers can revive the thread, or maybe just link it...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Back in 2006, the much anticipated 20th Anniversary set needed 3-wks or more before selling out, and each household could buy 10 sets max at $100/set.
    This time, the price is higher, the household limit is 1/2, the sell out period will be at least the same or longer. image >>

Didn't the mint sell 250,000 2006 sets compared to only 100,000 2011 sets? >>

Oops ... You're correct. I forgot the mintage of 2006 set image
    This time the sell out will happen within 1 week
  • Options
    johnjinxjohnjinx Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    It's been asked but no definitive answer was given so I'll repeat it again. Does the Mint follow ip addresses and block people from ordering from the same ip or just on names, credit cards and home addresses?
  • Options

<< <i>It's been asked but no definitive answer was given so I'll repeat it again. Does the Mint follow ip addresses and block people from ordering from the same ip or just on names, credit cards and home addresses? >>

Im also still a little confused.
    I have heard from other people they ONLY check shipping addresses...but I dont know if that means no billing addresses are checked. Because when making an account you can have a different shipping address than what your billing address is...
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's been asked but no definitive answer was given so I'll repeat it again. Does the Mint follow ip addresses and block people from ordering from the same ip or just on names, credit cards and home addresses? >>

I believe that I suggested that here some time back about the hockey pucks and the opinion was that they don't cancel orders from the same or similar IP address.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

No block and they will let you place the order. They check all orders before filling them. If they see you have over ordered or used the same card/address they will just cancel the order on you. Same happens if your card is no good. In the past I have ordered for me and using my sons address and credit card from my same computer with no issue.
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    < Edit to add: I won't be chancing it, though, and will put my order in on Thursday morning for 5 sets.. >>

Any order placed prior to 1200 EDST won't be honored.

Noon is morning to me...

• Options
    I heard they will cancel all orders if multiples are attempted..image

• Options
    johnjinxjohnjinx Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    Just saw Konahead's edit. That answered it clearly. Thanks for the info.
  • Options

<< <i>

No block and they will let you place the order. They check all orders before filling them. If they see you have over ordered or used the same card/address they will just cancel the order on you. Same happens if your card is no good. In the past I have ordered for me and using my sons address and credit card from my same computer with no issue. >>

What about same name, same ip address, different account, different card, different billing address?
  • Options

I have ordered over the phone and used five cc with other address and all worked. But I only used one acc on line with one address. Best way to do it will be to ask some one you can trust give them the $$$$ and have them setup a acc with the mint and then have them order for you it's the best way with no bumps. I did 30 set this way back with the 20th set's.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>But was the hype in 2006 the same as it is now? >>

I don't recall a big Whooptie Doo in 2006? I know it was discussed, so maybe some of you expert searchers can revive the thread, or maybe just link it... >>

This was the highest post rate on the subject I could find........20th anniversary set thread And this one that Bear started even better another good 20th anniversary thread
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    They check all orders before filling them. If they see you have over ordered or used the same card/address they will just cancel the order on you. . >>

Do they cancel both orders, or just one?
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The frenzy of forum activity over these sets reminds me so much of that over the pucks in Dec. '10. There are many new forum members who ask only about these sets, multiple threads, tons of grading/flipping questions, etc.

I think that these sets will not achieve the multiples of purchase price that the pucks did but they will do much better in the long term.

It's fun to watch the run up to Oct. 27 on the forum.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    They check all orders before filling them. If they see you have over ordered or used the same card/address they will just cancel the order on you. . >>

Do they cancel both orders, or just one? >>

Why don't you let us know when it happens? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file