Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Any ideas about what graded sets will be going for in the aftermarket? $500? More? >>

Pricing will be determined primarily by:

1. How quickly these sell out next Thursday.
    2. How many sets get flipped.

No big secret here. Simple supply and demand.

The one thing that's been bothering me about this offering is the HH limit of 5. It's almost as though they want a quick sellout to get these out of the way. They certainly seem to be clueless as to what this will mean for the collecting public. They don't seem to have learned a thing from the ATB fiasco. I'm beginning to wonder if anyone is really in charge over there. >>

I sorta figgered that. Was hoping for a more profound comment like at least issue price. imageWould $500 be a good price to sell at? >>

OK. Here's a pretty good article about their potential:

$1000 sets???

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭
    Makes you hesitant to commit early to a dealer....assuming you get sets image

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Makes you hesitant to commit early to a dealer....assuming you get sets image >>

have any dealers even committed to a price yet??? i've just seen posts saying that they'll tell us a price later... well we knew that!!!
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Makes you hesitant to commit early to a dealer....assuming you get sets image >>

have any dealers even committed to a price yet??? i've just seen posts saying that they'll tell us a price later... well we knew that!!! >>

20% Return if nothing else???? Graded PCGS Returned to You

At least it's a price.
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

have any dealers even committed to a price yet??? i've just seen posts saying that they'll tell us a price later... well we knew that!!! >>

The only thing I've seen that is some form of fixed return is Segoja's offer on the BST.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

The only thing I've seen that is some form of fixed return is Segoja's offer on the BST. >>

I must have missed that one yesterday, seems like a very fair offer for those not wanting to wait to see what the cash offers are and for those who want to make sure they get a set of coins... I've done deals with segoja in the past and everything went very smoothly. Might have jumped on that one too if I had noticed that post... oh well image
  • Options

<< <i>The only thing I've seen that is some form of fixed return is Segoja's offer on the BST. >>

That was a nice offer. If it was for a set labeled "25th Anniversary First Strike **70" then it was a GREAT offer!

I would assume other offers would be a minimum of $100/set over issue price. Anything less and I would sell them elsewhere.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Any ideas about what graded sets will be going for in the aftermarket? $500? More? >>

Pricing will be determined primarily by:

1. How quickly these sell out next Thursday.
    2. How many sets get flipped.

No big secret here. Simple supply and demand.

The one thing that's been bothering me about this offering is the HH limit of 5. It's almost as though they want a quick sellout to get these out of the way. They certainly seem to be clueless as to what this will mean for the collecting public. They don't seem to have learned a thing from the ATB fiasco. I'm beginning to wonder if anyone is really in charge over there. >>

I sorta figgered that. Was hoping for a more profound comment like at least issue price. imageWould $500 be a good price to sell at? >>

OK. Here's a pretty good article about their potential:

$1000 sets??? >>

Thanks!!image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>glad to hear that the 3 coins already past the deadline won't be allowed a new First Strike run... sure, many disagree with the meaning of "first strike" but at least PCGS appears to be following it's own definition.

Personally, I've never paid for FS labels and likely never will pay extra for them anyways, so it definitely works for me, but I understand some people are in love with them. >>

Let see. You are glad the 3 coins have already passed the deadline but personally you never paid for FS labels and won't paid extra for them.

Kind of a wishy-washy comment.

Ok everyone, when the 3 coin set was issued in 2006, hadn't the proof and MS coin already been issued by themselves yet PCGS gave the set FS labels?
  • Options
    bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭
    wow I cant believe people are bidding on these pre-sales on ebay lol......well im gonna try and order me 3 sets of these. Hopefully get my dad to order me them while im at school lol.
  • Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

Price Released: $299.95 !

Buy Me For $299.95 !

Price Released: $299.95 !

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< According to PCGS customer service, only 2 coins will qualify for the FS label: the S unc and the rev. prf. >>

I dont buy it. Inconsistent with the last Anniversary set where the same scenario existed. Earlier release of a few coins that were beyond FS date individually, but yet labeled FS with 20th Anniversary designation.

PCGS will do the same this time.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i><< According to PCGS customer service, only 2 coins will qualify for the FS label: the S unc and the rev. prf. >>

I dont buy it. Inconsistent with the last Anniversary set where the same scenario existed. Earlier release of a few coins that were beyond FS date individually, but yet labeled FS with 20th Anniversary designation.

PCGS will do the same this time. >>

That is what I remember and beleive they will be consistant with this set.
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    about $60 per coin for bullion..seems a little high, just sayin.image
    figglehorn
  • Options

<< <i>about $60 per coin for bullion..seems a little high, just sayin.image >>

Absolutely. This is a lousy deal.
  • Options
    Probably won't be able to get much over $100/oz in the secondary market either. image
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes it is. But where did he go? image >>

Mole?
  • Options
    Interesting how the First Strike saga is unfolding. We'll see where the chips land, I guess. It'd be nice to see one of the PCGS folks post a reply on this forum and finally settle the First Strike 25th Anniversary Set question once and for all.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting how the First Strike saga is unfolding. We'll see where the chips land, I guess. It'd be nice to see one of the PCGS folks post a reply on this forum and finally settle the First Strike 25th Anniversary Set question once and for all. >>

DRAMA!!
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • Options

<< <i>

Thats what they told me on the phone as well. ATS said no ER at all. No bulk submission ATS either.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

while it may be inconsistent with what was done in 2006, it does make more sense. Why should the types which have been around for part or most of the year qualify as first strike, just because this set is new doesn't mean the mint will use new dies/hubs etc to strike the bullion and PROOF coins.
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did someone quit the Mint and go to work for them?

LMAO........image
  • Options

<< <i> Hum, now that really sounds goofy! Why would PCGS forgo a cash cow like this? >>

Maybe because they decided to stick to their rules....last day for bullion FS was February 4th, "W" was August 4th.....makes perfect sense

• Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting how the First Strike saga is unfolding. We'll see where the chips land, I guess. It'd be nice to see one of the PCGS folks post a reply on this forum and finally settle the First Strike 25th Anniversary Set question once and for all. >>

Wish we can hear from our Host(PCGS). I know someone is reading these posts. If not .... I guess the best thing is to keep the sets sealed and ungraded...like forgo the whole grading FS 25th anniversary designation thing ...just keep your sets sealed if you intended to flip them or open them up if your going to collect them. image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i> MilesWaits had the record for unopen box sale. Where is he at? >>

MilesWatts sighted yesterday in the MCM flip thread over in the BST forum.
  • Options
    SOoooooooo we done with the ATB threads? New flavor of the month.
  • Options

<< <i>SOoooooooo we done with the ATB threads? New flavor of the month. >>

It does have that taste doesn't it......image
  • Options

<< <i>

DRAMA!! >>

Whatever makes PCGS more money is what they will do, whether it makes sense or not. Not really any drama.
  • Options
    I thought this whole "first strike" nonsense was settled years ago. That is, there is no correlation between when the Mint strikes coins with fresh dies and when these same coins get packaged, dated, and shipped. Does anyone really think the Mint would ensure a linear sequence of events - that the coins that get struck first will get packaged and shipped first?

This whole fiasco does nothing but line the pockets of TPG's and strip unsuspecting collectors and investors of their hard earned dollars.
    Robert
  • Options

<< <i>I thought this whole "first strike" nonsense was settled years ago. That is, there is no correlation between when the Mint strikes coins with fresh dies and when these same coins get packaged, dated, and shipped. Does anyone really think the Mint would ensure a linear sequence of events - that the coins that get struck first will get packaged and shipped first?

This whole fiasco does nothing but line the pockets of TPG's and strip unsuspecting collectors and investors of their hard earned dollars. >>

And your point would be ........ image

edited to add quote.

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    If no first strike labeling on 3 of the coins, than no reason to have a FS Label on the other two. Collectors want uniform sets. So that is $90 off the cost to have the whole set graded. Sounds good to me. I know from a marketing standpoint I am pressured to have my best coins graded in the FS label , but not in this case. The FS Labeling on the Rev Proof and S coin is good if you want to sell separately.
  • Options

My thoughts exactly. This will encourage the sets to be broken up.

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    The Mint says they will begin shipping late Nov. Do you think that will happen? I'd like to get them in time to give as Christmas gifts.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If no first strike labeling on 3 of the coins, than no reason to have a FS Label on the other two. Collectors want uniform sets. So that is $90 off the cost to have the whole set graded. Sounds good to me. I know from a marketing standpoint I am pressured to have my best coins graded in the FS label , but not in this case. The FS Labeling on the Rev Proof and S coin is good if you want to sell separately. >>

What IF for the FIRST time you send in one set and one of those 2 or BOTH come back a 70, now I have never been blessed with such an honor but I do hear it happens, in that case the FS would make those worth more. Only getting 2 sets and I may just flip both and leave the grading to someone else and that way avoid the disappointment 67 or 68 , Of course all the previous ones I have sent in I looked at, maybe a blind set will do better.........................Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Mint says they will begin shipping late Nov. Do you think that will happen? I'd like to get them in time to give as Christmas gifts. >>

I think the 1st one's in will get there coins fast in a week or two and the rest will come later. But that is just me. Looks like the pre sale's are going good this will be a good one. Back up the trucks guy's.image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I thought this whole "first strike" nonsense was settled years ago. That is, there is no correlation between when the Mint strikes coins with fresh dies and when these same coins get packaged, dated, and shipped. Does anyone really think the Mint would ensure a linear sequence of events - that the coins that get struck first will get packaged and shipped first?

This whole fiasco does nothing but line the pockets of TPG's and strip unsuspecting collectors and investors of their hard earned dollars. >>

And your point would be ........ image

edited to add quote. >>

Um, my point would be why TPG's are legally permitted to package, advertise, and sell something that doesn't even exist, which are these so-called, known "first strike" coins issued by the Mint. The Mint has gone on record that no such coins exist, so... why is the hobby and TPG's still pretending that they do?

There can be only one logical explanation and it's called... "KA-CHING, KA-CHING!"
    Robert
  • Options
    Well looks like it's going to $299.95 per set.

2011 American Eagle 25th Anniversary Silver Coin Set (A25)

Price: $299.95 Remind Me?

This product will be available for sale
    on October 27, 2011 at 12:00 Noon (ET).

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good article from From CoinUpdate.com.....my same sentiments when it comes to comparisons to the 2006-W ASE 20th Anniversary sets.
    I could have sold my whole case(10 sets) in the first three months for $6k(cost $1k)
    Instead I held on and sold for approx. $2,500 in sets and pieces....still can'y complain.

Secondary Market Values for 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle Sets Expected to Rise
    October 21, 2011 By Louis Golin

The 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set that will be released on October 27 is expected to be by far the hottest U.S. Mint numismatic product of the year.

Like many silver eagle collectors, I have been dreaming of this set since not long after the release of the 20th anniversary set.

Some people feel that meaningful anniversaries must be divisible by ten, but I donft think itfs the number of years being commemorated that matters to most people.

American Silver eagles are by far the most widely collected modern U.S. Mint coin and the most widely bought and sold bullion coin in the world. It is, in many ways, the successor of the Morgan dollar, although such a statement might be heresy to die-hard Morgan collectors.

Its classic Adolph Weinmann-designed obverse and patriotic reverse, coupled with its establishment as the leading modern American coin, have created a large following within the numismatic community.

The five-ounce America the Beautiful (ATB) coins have also elicited substantial interest among collectors of modern U.S. coins in the past two years, but those coins simply lack the track record and widespread appeal of silver eagles. That may help explain why premiums on bullion silver eagles currently run higher than those on the ATB coins.

The fact that this yearfs anniversary set will have a mintage of "up to 100,000" compared to the 250,000 mintage of the 2006 sets plus the fact that it will have five coins, including the first-ever "S" Mint burnished silver eagle, have helped produce a major buzz in coin circles.

From the day the set was first announced, collectors began speculating about the price the set would be offered at. Most seem to be pleased with the Mintfs announcement on October 20 that based on current silver prices the set will be priced at $299.95.

There are some who think that a major drop in silver prices will put a damper of sales of the sets, but I think that is unlikely.

Collectors of silver eagles need this set to keep their collections current, and they are not buying it for silver content. Otherwise, they would put their money in the lowest-cost bullion silver eagles they can find.

In fact, when silver dropped to just a little above $30 on October 20, I considered purchasing a few bullion eagles for $34 each, which is barely above what a dealer will pay for the coins. Then I reminded myself that I have to husband my resources for the upcoming anniversary sets.

Now that the date, price, and household limit of five have been set, the discussion has moved on to expected secondary market values.

Apparently there are sellers on e-Bay offering the sets for about twice the Mint's price, and one well-known modern coin dealer who advertises often in the print media has already started taking orders for raw sets as well as graded MS/PF-70 sets at prices that I personally think are unreasonable since no market has yet been established for these sets.

I think some collectors believe that a dealer's or e-Bay seller's pre-order price helps determine the future value of a coin, but the reality is that coin values take time to be established, as the process of supply and demand works itself out.

Of course, only time will tell what value the new sets ultimately reach, and like the values of most modern Mint products, those values will not ascend in a straight line.

One factor to keep in mind is that even though dealers will be able to buy five sets and will undoubtedly ask their friends and relatives to order five sets each as well, many larger dealers will be interested in larger quantities of sets.

One reason is because this type of product is always heavily promoted by larger dealers, and that is something that happened with the 2006 sets.

In fact, the 2006 sets, which were initially sold for $100 with a household limit of 10, at one point sold for over $700 each because of all those promotions. Just the 2006 reverse proof at one point went for about $600.

Today the 2006 sets are about $400, but for much of the past couple of years, they were available for closer to $300.

Many 2011 sets will be sent in for third-party grading in hopes of getting MS and PF-70 coins, and many will be broken up for the unique coins in the set: the reverse proof and the burnished "S" coin.

I suspect that the new sets, once they quickly sell-out at the Mint, will sell on the secondary market for approximately twice the original $300 price. But I would not be surprised to see prices reach close to $1,000 in the coming months, as dealers promote the sets to collectors who either were unable to get one from the Mint, who just learned of them, or who want additional sets as an investment.

Over time, as new people start collecting silver eagles, they will also want one for their collections, which should help support future demand.

But as with most modern Mint products, I would suggest caution when it comes to paying several multiples of the original price for these sets.

It is certainly possible that long-term demand will be sufficient to push prices to even higher levels at some point, but it will all depend on whether sets are in the hands of real collectors who plan to keep them for years, or e-Bay flippers and others looking for a quick profit.

A coin or set that sells out at the Mint but which is readily available from coin dealers and e-Bay sellers is not a truly scarce item, and serious buyers eventually discover that, which can cause prices to drop.

But this case could be different because there are so many silver eagle collectors and not just in the U.S. since silver eagles have global demand.

Whatever happens to future values, this will be a great product for collectors of silver eagles.

CoinUpdate Link
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    The 2011 set has the same story line as the 06, and 01 Buff for that matter, it's just better, bigger, and more telegraphed.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Can I buy more than 5 sets if using a different card with a different billing address on the same ip address or no?
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 2011 set has the same story line as the 06, and 01 Buff for that matter, it's just better, bigger, and more telegraphed. >>

Don't you think the 2006-W was more "telegraphed" than this set?
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

So if I understand this right you can open up 5 sets and send the rev proof and the "S" eagle,s in to PCGS and get the 10 coins graded 1st

strike. If that is the case that would be the way to go. What is the value to hold them sealed?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So if I understand this right you can open up 5 sets and send the rev proof and the "S" eagle,s in to PCGS and get the 10 coins graded 1st

strike. If that is the case that would be the way to go. What is the value to hold them sealed? >>

Some buyers pay more for sealed sets since the perception is that opened sets have been picked over while the sealed sets may still contain some PF/MS70's.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I could sell off the other 3 coins as I have extra boxes available and make $150 or so and own the other 2 for $150.
  • Options
    I can remamber when some did just that sent in just the rev coin on the 20th and now there are some incomplet sets becuse they opened the box. Just keep them sealed you can think about it and do what you want to at a later time. Lets see where they go one set per box is best but with all the hipe going on it will take some time on line to order. I'll go with a 2 to 3 day sell out But that is just me. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The 2011 set has the same story line as the 06, and 01 Buff for that matter, it's just better, bigger, and more telegraphed. >>

Don't you think the 2006-W was more "telegraphed" than this set? >>

Time wise, your correct, these were introduced rather late with a short time till going 'on sale'.

My point was just more popular opinion based regarding the issue. If I recall there was some doubt surrounding the popularity the 06 set, even more so with the Buffs. Both turned into multiple of issue resells which has set a standard (precedent) for what works in the flippers world. I have yet to see a serious opinion posted that the 11 set is a waste of time for a flip.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭
    $299. IMO, Anywhere between $269 and $329 would be a sell out. They appear to have split this right down the middle.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Mint does follow IP addresses. Just have different billing addresses on your credit cards.
  • Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mint does follow IP addresses. Just have different billing addresses on your credit cards. >>

Does or does not?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many happy BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file