Home U.S. Coin Forum

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• silverman68silverman68 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    On your mark, get set...........
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lot of very, suspect, thinking going on....

First off, to compare the UHR to these sets (the RP and the S mint in particular) is not a good way to think. The UHR is gold. The UHR was issued as a single. The UHR took what was a popular design, that many can't/couldn't afford in a high grade (and many not even in a low grade) and made it a bit more affordable. It had/has a lot going for it.

The RP is not unique any longer (because of the 2006 RP). The S mint unc is unique, but other than the mint mark, it is very common (millions and hundreds of millions of the design, in the same shape/weight/material).

The 100k mintage should keep it popular going forward, but the true value may not be apparent, good or bad, for a few years as the economy still sucks for many people right now and the likelihood of these being gifts diminishes as well as people being able to put them away for a bit.

Most are likely to buy their 5 set totals, with $ signs in their eyes. Doing so will put the price up there versus a single set, so the audience that is looking to buy those is now more likely someone wanting to flip them (raw or graded....which, graded, adds another HUGE cost to doing this). The singles will be more likely for collectors, but fewer. So, on a per set basis, 5 singles may well go for more than 1 group of 5 sets.

Again, reading many of the comments, there are people that are only concerned with flipping and $$$ and think that, because of all the hype on these forums, that these will be a financial homerun instead of maybe just a nice double or triple. Many of those same people will likely use their credit cards and be unable to pay them off right away and so may have to flip them for less than they want, in order to pay off the cards (we are near the end of the year and the start of the holiday season...typically not a cheap time). Once they do that, prices take a dip and anyone having to sell, or getting scared, will sell into a lowering market. It could recover once those weak hands are empty, but it could take awhile. If the mint gets these out in time for people to sell for Christmas, it may help. It's a "wait and see" type of thing.

I'm just surprised that a number of folks that were around for the 2006 annv sets either don't remember how things went or are just out in left field with some of the questions/suppositions

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...I still proudly own all my 2006 sets...do I win a prize?

(And I'll still be in the trenches plugging away come this time Thursday)

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Again, reading many of the comments, there are people that are only concerned with flipping and $$$ and think that, because of all the hype on these forums, that these will be a financial homerun instead of maybe just a nice double or triple. >>

That's all I'm looking for. A double would allow me to sell half of whatever I get and keep the remainder for free.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I think anyone selling for $370 will regret it later, the only way that doesn't happen is if the mint releases the RP and S burnished as singles.
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Bochi makes some good points. The decision really comes down to a quick nickel or a hard dime. There are many factors in deciding how to proceed in product turn around. Timing of the sell, grading fees if applicable, which TPG, spotting, spotting over time due to climate or storage, your need for money, list is long and individualized.

I did do the 06's with 50 sets and I'm still eBaying them slowly touting the aspects of condition because I was lucky with no spotting. In the end it will be a 4x flip over four years, and I had fun doing it. I expect these 2011 will be the same over time but if a quick rise in price surfaces I'll sell, If it falls to 2x I'll hold because I can and I know that times will get better and the money will flow again into the series of 25 years.

I didn't mind doing quick flips on the pucks for a 25% bump because there were many opportunities to buy from other venders. Different product, different game plan and those that watched saw a text book flash in the pan. Hopefully you left the game either richer or holding silver for cheap (under current spot) and if so the low mintage may payoff someday.

There's two products, two plans, with many ways to play. Good luck, be realistic, have fun.

Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    Well, I see the Mint is out with their email and mailed anouncement on the set. It seems I usually get these after the set has gone on sale.

So, how come PCGS hasn't come forward on the First Strike issue??????? Your paid members would like an answer even if it is a email anouncement.
  • commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    As far as "flipping" goes, I think everyone has their agenda...and the only way to see who's is right is to wait.
    However, I don't see a problem in buying a few sets to flip especially since collector's and the people on this board are the ones who understand the market best.
    Any business or flip (essentially) revolves around the guy who knows more than the other guy...and I don't think there is anything wrong that.

That being said, if you are just doing this for a flip, and worst case scenario you're only making $50 a set, then thats $250, $500, $1,000 you didn't have a month before, or a couple free sets.

I think that all the buildup and the "gamble" (even though there is really no way to lose money in the short term so I guess it isn't a gamble) is fun image and that's what coins are about for me...
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭
    Makes zero sense to be negative about flipping. Its American!

If you are, please go join the rest of your commie friends on Wall Street.

If you buy a coin today and happen to decide to sell it 2 years later....that is just a loooong flip.

Still a flip image

These crusty threads boards were invigorated by the 2010 Bullion ATBs.

Lots of posting...new members. It was great.

And now we get to do it again!

Quick flip, no flip whatever.

BACK UP THE TRUCK on this one!

Loves me some shiny!
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver is up $1.51 today. Will the mint raise the price before they go on sale?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

<< <i>Silver is up $1.51 today. Will the mint raise the price before they go on sale? >>

I was wondering the same thing. Of all the times for silver to start rising!

<< <i>

<< <i>Silver is up $1.51 today. Will the mint raise the price before they go on sale? >>

I was wondering the same thing. Of all the times for silver to start rising! >>

Someone will just have to write a letter and change thatimage
    After they sell out Thursday evening, watch silver drop sharply on Friday.image

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Makes zero sense to be negative about flipping. Its American!

If you are, please go join the rest of your commie friends on Wall Street.

If you buy a coin today and happen to decide to sell it 2 years later....that is just a loooong flip.

Still a flip image

These crusty threads boards were invigorated by the 2010 Bullion ATBs.

Lots of posting...new members. It was great.

And now we get to do it again!

Quick flip, no flip whatever.

BACK UP THE TRUCK on this one! >>

image That was my first experience with flipping and was just a great time thread, as I have said before that thread is Legendary, alot of us made some money and got a few sets free. Different time Different product But it was a blast so I am in for 2 or 3 . Good luck to everyone.................Enjoyimage
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think their almost 100% cushion over melt value should be sufficient for the mint to keep to the announced price. At least I hope so...
  • khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    >After they sell out Thursday evening, watch silver drop sharply on Friday.

This is really the only way to lose money on this flip. If silver tanks significantly, will the collector appreciate be able to outweigh the lost in value of the base metal?

-Keith

<< <i>After they sell out Thursday evening, watch silver drop sharply on Friday.image >>

I was also thinking that. SCARY!!!!!!
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>After they sell out Thursday evening, watch silver drop sharply on Friday.image >>

I was also thinking that. SCARY!!!!!! >>

Not as long as the cancel button is still there.image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are numismatic items that aren't entirely tied to spot price of silver. Whether silver goes up a dollar or two an ounce is pretty inconsequential.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Actually, I was thinking that I was thinking the same thing Perry was - twice. That is what was SCARY!
    I highly highly doubt that silver will drop enough in the next couple months to effect the value of the sets

<< <i>Actually, I was thinking that I was thinking the same thing Perry was - twice. That is what was SCARY! >>

Thinking the same thing as me is scary? Sorry.image

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the chances the Mint drops the bomb and offers 2 or 3 of these Eagles as singles?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

<< <i>

<< <i>Actually, I was thinking that I was thinking the same thing Perry was - twice. That is what was SCARY! >>

Thinking the same thing as me is scary? Sorry.image >>

Or great minds think alike!

<< <i>What are the chances the Mint drops the bomb and offers 2 or 3 of these Eagles as singles? >>

Hopefully not good...

<< <i>What are the chances the Mint drops the bomb and offers 2 or 3 of these Eagles as singles? >>

Being this close to the end of the year, I wouldn't think they would do it unless they already have 500k of each, the reverse proof and 2011-S already minted and the paper facts printed. But, they couldn't be First Strike according to PCGS unless they should ship the same time as the sets.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

three of them are already being offered outside of the set. two Ws from the mint and one bullion in the aftermarket.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• So how are you planning on buying - 5 in one order, 5 orders of 1 or some combination? I'm thinking with the number of sealed boxes of 5 smaller numbers might be in more demand. I'm probably going to do 2+2+1 so I can dollar cost average my flip.
    "If we are facing in the right direction, all we need to do is keep on walking." - David Brent
    Didn't realize that the Burnished W ASE was available, duh.

<< <i>

three of them are already being offered outside of the set. two Ws from the mint and one bullion in the aftermarket. >>

How does that effect the value of the sets?

<< <i>How does that effect the value of the sets? >>

Because there are really only two key coins in the set (100,000 mintage). If the Mint offered these as singles, that would be a bomb!

<< <i>

<< <i>How does that effect the value of the sets? >>

Because there are really only two key coins in the set (100,000 mintage). If the Mint offered these as singles, that would be a bomb! >>

Oh image can they do that?? (would they do that?)
    <<can they do that?? (would they do that?) >>

Worlds largest coin dealer, yes, they can do what they want.
    In 2006 the 3 coin set came out, then they offered the Burnished version as a single.

<< <i><<can they do that?? (would they do that?) >>

Worlds largest coin dealer, yes, they can do what they want.
    In 2006 the 3 coin set came out, then they offered the Burnished version as a single. >>

hmm...
    Not trying to be a kill joy but if I remember correctly, it caused some unrest
    among the collecting community, when the 06 Burnished was offered as a single.
    How soon after the sets did they mint the singles?

<<How soon after the sets did they mint the singles?>>

Not really sure, I want to say a few weeks after.

EDIT: Someone will probably chime in with exact dates.
    In a way is was, then again with the compulsive nature of the collecting public and the need for a completely labeled set it didn't make much difference. I sold plenty of MS69 W burnished a $100. with 70's near 700. power of the label was surprising to me.
    Didn't they do the same with the 2008W gold buffalo with the "Prosperity" set? It seems that set through a curve in the number of 1/2oz gold buffalos being minted.
    Also the burnished ASE W from the gold set did real well, just from the 'black' lettered label
    I have another question...if you sell "sealed" boxes from the mint on ebay, how do you prevent a buyer from saying that the box was just empty? It seems like there is a grey line there...how do you cover your butt?
  • You cant on ebay
    Ebay is such a crapshoot these a days

<< <i>

<< <i>Again, reading many of the comments, there are people that are only concerned with flipping and $$$ and think that, because of all the hype on these forums, that these will be a financial homerun instead of maybe just a nice double or triple. >>

That's all I'm looking for. A double would allow me to sell half of whatever I get and keep the remainder for free. >>

And, that's how I look at a lot of these as well. Flip and enable me to keep some for free. 2006 sets, ATB bullion sets, etc.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

I'm not very familiar with mint products, but do they have some kind of "tamper" seal or tape on the packaging?
    Could you just have a disclaimer on ebay saying this is a SEALED box from the mint, see pics. NO refunds?
    (especially if you are an established seller)

<< <i>I have another question...if you sell "sealed" boxes from the mint on ebay, how do you prevent a buyer from saying that the box was just empty? It seems like there is a grey line there...how do you cover your butt? >>

There should be a shipping weight for the package on your postal receipt. Perhaps those here who receive such packages could document the weight. If you print your own labels don't you have to document the weight? The U.S. mint should be able to verify the weight also.
    theknowitalltroll;

<< <i>Not trying to be a kill joy but if I remember correctly, it caused some unrest
    among the collecting community, when the 06 Burnished was offered as a single. >>

You're not being a killjoy. You are stating what people either fail to remember or don't know because they weren't hear for it, and you are exactly right. They crushed some of the value when they did that. Went from 2 unique type coins to 1. A lot of folks returned their prosperity set as well because of that (the "W" going on sale as a single). Took awhile but the prosperity has gone back up, but some of that has to do with gold's rise.

There will be some very happy people because of this flip and I think there will be some who will learn some hard lessons (whether it be mis-timing, ebay, etc).

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not trying to be a kill joy but if I remember correctly, it caused some unrest
    among the collecting community, when the 06 Burnished was offered as a single. >>

Didn't they offer the 06 burnished before they offered the set?

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

<<There should be a shipping weight for the package on your postal receipt. Perhaps those here who receive such packages could document the weight. If you print your own labels don't you have to document the weight? The U.S. mint should be able to verify the weight also. >>

The weight of the package is verified at the time you ship it. What about when the customer receives it from the Postman? He or she doesn't weigh it before they make you sign or drop it on your step.

<< <i>I'm not very familiar with mint products, but do they have some kind of "tamper" seal or tape on the packaging?
    Could you just have a disclaimer on ebay saying this is a SEALED box from the mint, see pics. NO refunds?
    (especially if you are an established seller) >>

If you sell a sealed box on eBay [with the appropriate disclaimer/s] and the buyer opens it and claims the coins are damaged and files a SNAD, eBay/PP will find in their favor and expect YOU to accept a return.
    theknowitalltroll;
    @DerryB: If my memory serves me correct, the singles were offered after the set was released.
    Don't know how much later, few days couple weeks, don't remember.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file