Home U.S. Coin Forum

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    The only thing that changes on these things is the shipping date. I wonder if they are going to do them all the same day this time.
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭
    10 days since ordering.

START SHIPPING YOU FREAKING MONKEYS! ( image quasi icon pun with feeling)

Loves me some shiny!
  • EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭
    Your order is important to us, we'll get to it tomorrow, beep beep beep beep,
  • The Mint has stated that the coins for all 100k sets were specifically struck for the sets.

I think this could result in more 70's than past issues, making the graded set premium lower than normal.

It also seems possible that design elements could be unique for the sets, or that die preparation was different, such that all 5 set coins could be semi-keys to complete ASE collections. I doubt this is the case, but what a surprise that would be!

• carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Mint has stated that the coins for all 100k sets were specifically struck for the sets.

I think this could result in more 70's than past issues, making the graded set premium lower than normal.

It also seems possible that design elements could be unique for the sets, or that die preparation was different, such that all 5 set coins could be semi-keys to complete ASE collections. I doubt this is the case, but what a surprise that would be! >>

CONFLICTS WITH:
    Prices soar for 25th Anniversary silver set

Loves me some shiny!

• << <i>

<< <i>The Mint has stated that the coins for all 100k sets were specifically struck for the sets.

It also seems possible that design elements could be unique for the sets, or that die preparation was different, such that all 5 set coins could be semi-keys to complete ASE collections. I doubt this is the case, but what a surprise that would be! >>

CONFLICTS WITH:
    Prices soar for 25th Anniversary silver set >>

Yes, that conflicts, but I'm guessing that 70's may not be as scarce as the Coin World author is guessing. If 70 pops are about equal or even greater than 69 pops, I expect the premium to be much lower than if 69's outnumber 70's by 5:1 to 10:1, as some people have guessed.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << It also seems possible that design elements could be unique for the sets, or that die preparation was different, such that all 5 set coins could be semi-keys to complete ASE collections. I doubt this is the case, but what a surprise that would be! >>

I bet they're all Reverse of 2010! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    5 units backordered. Expected to ship on 11/22/2011.
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Sending them for grading without cherry picking, which most people will do, will result in lower 70 pops. Also, how many people will return their sets because of quality issues? ...also will contribute to fewer 70s.
    I really see the 100K as a gift from the Mint for ignoring the ASE collector for the previous couple of years. However, they badly underestimated the demand and will be unlikely to offer 100K ever again. JMO

• << <i>Sending them for grading without cherry picking, which most people will do, will result in lower 70 pops. Also, how many people will return their sets because of quality issues? ...also will contribute to fewer 70s. >>

The 2011(S) silver eagles that PCGS designated "minted in San Francisco" are grading at twice as many 70's as 69's. To get that designation, the coins had to be submitted sealed and therefore not cherry-picked.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Sending them for grading without cherry picking, which most people will do, will result in lower 70 pops. Also, how many people will return their sets because of quality issues? ...also will contribute to fewer 70s. >>

The 2011(S) silver eagles that PCGS designated "minted in San Francisco" are grading at twice as many 70's as 69's. To get that designation, the coins had to be submitted sealed and therefore not cherry-picked. >>

They were submitted under bulk & the seller designated what minimum grades were acceptable. I suspect any ASE that would have graded 68 or below, was not graded and that's the reason for the high %%.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Sending them for grading without cherry picking, which most people will do, will result in lower 70 pops. Also, how many people will return their sets because of quality issues? ...also will contribute to fewer 70s. >>

The 2011(S) silver eagles that PCGS designated "minted in San Francisco" are grading at twice as many 70's as 69's. To get that designation, the coins had to be submitted sealed and therefore not cherry-picked. >>

They were submitted under bulk & the seller designated what minimum grades were acceptable. I suspect any ASE that would have graded 68 or below, was not graded and that's the reason for the high %%. >>

Yes, but notice I only said the 70s are outnumbering the 69s two-to-one. If the minimum grade is 69, it will not affect that ratio.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Return their sets? There are no replacements. < 1%
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭
    $1500 for an one unopened sealed set is not far fetched.
  • I expect the only chance for backordered sets will be because of canceled duplicate orders which they are sorting out now.

There will also be some people who will have orders canceled because credit cards expired between time of ordering and time of shipping or credit balances are exceeded..

There will also be some small numbers returned because of address mix-up or failure to deliver on 3rd attempts.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Return their sets? There are no replacements. < 1% >>

You could get your $299.95 back, less your shipping expenses both ways, of course.

<< <i>

Return their sets? There are no replacements. < 1% >>

That was my point. No thinning of the herd prior to submission brings down overall quality.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I expect the only chance for backordered sets will be because of canceled duplicate orders which they are sorting out now.

There will also be some people who will have orders canceled because credit cards expired between time of ordering and time of shipping or credit balances are exceeded..

There will also be some small numbers returned because of address mix-up or failure to deliver on 3rd attempts. >>

There will also be some non-delivered sets returned to the mint because the recipient was not able to sign for the package because he died between time of order and when the mint finally got around to shipping.

• raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭
    Look at the 2006 20th anniversary sets. The reverse proof 69 vs 70 price is not really that much of a big difference in the real world. They were at first and people were jumping over each other to get them. Now you can take your time and pick and choose which one you want. Ask Mitch what the difference. There are 2 on E-bay in 70 right now at about $3700. If I remember correctly, the last 69 I saw was $3500. At first, the 2006 was over $5,000 and HOT. Big difference now. It has been that way for awhile. I have my 1 graded set and others still sealed and will stay that way. Silver sets were the same. All look nice when taken from the vault, but, when put back in, forgotten about. How often do you look at your expensive/rare coins? If at home, PLEASE have an alarm and/or a gun and know how/when to use it. I'll send one unopened set in and take what I got. The 69 and 70's look the same, unless you are REALLY critically looking at them. OR, collecting plastic for the Registry "game" like I myself do to an extent. Just my fifty cents. Good luck to all! Ray
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I expect the only chance for backordered sets will be because of canceled duplicate orders which they are sorting out now.

There will also be some small numbers returned because of address mix-up or failure to deliver on 3rd attempts. >>

A couple somewhat off-topic questions...first, if you aren't home and get a slip, can you go pick them up somewhere or do you have to be home when they deliver? Also, can someone other than the name on the package sign for it or go pick them up with the slip? I will be out of town when they are supposedly shipping, and I am usually working from 10-8 (ups comes by around 3)...so I was wondering if someone else could pick them up for me. Thanks!
  • BothuwuiBothuwui Posts: 484 ✭✭
    Most should ship UPS. You can sign up for their MyChoice program, which will let you put it on a vacation hold, designate a UPS store for pickup, or designate a different address to deliver to. I think you need to have the tracking number first, and then you can choose what to do with the package.

If anyone would like to designate my address for delivery, I will gladly give it to you. image
    Successful transactions with: goldman86, dmarks, CoinFame, segoja, commoncents05, wondercoin, Dabigkahuna, Levinll, RNCHSN, MrOrganic, Type2, ModernCoinMart, alohagary, BECOKA, guitarwes, rbf, fishteeth, freechance, agentjim007, PQPeace, Russ, GSAGuy

<< <i>Most should ship UPS. You can sign up for their MyChoice program, which will let you put it on a vacation hold, designate a UPS store for pickup, or designate a different address to deliver to. I think you need to have the tracking number first, and then you can choose what to do with the package.

If anyone would like to designate my address for delivery, I will gladly give it to you. image >>

If that's the case, couldn't people have just made up an address with the mint to get more sets, then once they have a tracking number switch the address to their own? image

So if you're not signed up for that, and you get a "we missed you slip", you can't just go somewhere and pick the package up? You have to be home? (I don't ever use ups, and when I have, they just left the packages on my door)

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A couple somewhat off-topic questions...first, if you aren't home and get a slip, can you go pick them up somewhere or do you have to be home when they deliver? Also, can someone other than the name on the package sign for it or go pick them up with the slip? I will be out of town when they are supposedly shipping, and I am usually working from 10-8 (ups comes by around 3)...so I was wondering if someone else could pick them up for me. Thanks! >>

On something this important I would call UPS for an answer that you will know is correct. I do know that they make a second attempt to deliver the next day and after that it goes back to the nearest distribution center where it gets held for pickup, for how long I do not know. I have heard that you can call them and make arrangements to have it delivered elsewhere such as your place of employment. To do that you will need a tracking number. Tracking number on mint expedited shipments usually appears the evening before it is delivered.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

<< <i>

<< <i>A couple somewhat off-topic questions...first, if you aren't home and get a slip, can you go pick them up somewhere or do you have to be home when they deliver? Also, can someone other than the name on the package sign for it or go pick them up with the slip? I will be out of town when they are supposedly shipping, and I am usually working from 10-8 (ups comes by around 3)...so I was wondering if someone else could pick them up for me. Thanks! >>

On something this important I would call UPS for an answer that you will know is correct. I do know that they make a second attempt to deliver the next day and after that it goes back to the nearest distribution center where it gets held for pickup, for how long I do not know. I have heard that you can call them and make arrangements to have it delivered elsewhere such as your place of employment. To do that you will need a tracking number. Tracking number on mint expedited shipments usually appears the evening before it is delivered. >>

So changing your address (to work for example) after the mint has shipped wont interfere with the mint's "system" of canceling orders with different address, and all of that?
    Thanks! I will look more into it with ups

• IIRC the slip that the UPS driver leaves has the phone # of the local UPS depot and options to schedule a different delivery time.
    But, as pointed out, I would contact UPS to make sure.
    In the past, I have been able to take the slip down to the UPS depot and pick up items.
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now here's a question to the gallery...if submitting these to a TPG...should you request that only 69s and 70s get slabbed and the rest simply get returned with OGP? Or is there a benefit to simply having everything slabbed, including 68s (and I would think the rare, random 67)?
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far, PCGS and NGC are seemingly unwilling to certify the bullion Silver Eagle in this set as being from the San Francisco Mint and designate it as such on the label as a 2011-(S) or "Struck at San Francisco Mint."

I believe they should be designating the coin as such to remain consistent w/ the many coins they each designated as such from the sealed S.F. monster boxes.

The original Mint press release about the set dated 10/20/11 doesn't clarify that the bullion coins are from S.F., but in the Coin World article dated 10/31/11 a representative from the Mint does state that the unmintmarked bullion eagles are S.F. coins. I have also confirmed this fact by telephone w/ the Mint. However, the grading services seem unmotivated to pursue the matter and in properly designating this coin.

I imagine the COA that comes with this set will not specifically mention that the bullion is from S.F. as they were likely printed in advance of the decision to have them all be S.F. coins... I am awaiting confirmation of this from the Mint.

What do you guys think about whether or not the bullion coin should be designated as a 2011-(S)?

• << <i>Now here's a question to the gallery...if submitting these to a TPG...should you request that only 69s and 70s get slabbed and the rest simply get returned with OGP? Or is there a benefit to simply having everything slabbed, including 68s (and I would think the rare, random 67)? >>

I posted this question in the grading thread: Are you allowed to request a minimum grade on submissions or is that only for bulk?

If minimum grades are allowed, I plan on only slabbing 69s and 70s.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Here's a thought...

You guys/gals know how people are saying that FS is a dumb idea and waste of money because, simply put, every single set qualifies for FS designation due to the super-fast sellout? What about the 25th ASE set designation? At least with the two key coins, they will, obviously, be 25th ASE set since the mint has only released these two coins in the 25th anny sets... In other words, is it even worth it to care, much, about the 25th Anny ASE set designation for the two key coins? Much like the FS label on the same coins...

Granted, the market is the market. However, I feel like having these designations may not be worth the while and wait. If you follow this school of thought, the world of cherry picking just seriously opened up.
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<If minimum grades are allowed, I plan on only slabbing 69s and 70s. >>

And possible only submitting the 2 keys in the set of 5.

• << <i>Here's a thought...

You guys/gals know how people are saying that FS is a dumb idea and waste of money because, simply put, every single set qualifies for FS designation due to the super-fast sellout? What about the 25th ASE set designation? At least with the two key coins, they will, obviously, be 25th ASE set since the mint has only released these two coins in the 25th anny sets... In other words, is it even worth it to care, much, about the 25th Anny ASE set designation for the two key coins? Much like the FS label on the same coins...

Granted, the market is the market. However, I feel like having these designations may not be worth the while and wait. If you follow this school of thought, the world of cherry picking just seriously opened up. >>

Re: 25th Annie label:

For reference check out the difference in sale prices for the 2006 W MS70 20th Anniversary label and the MS70 regular Label....you will be surprised and will get them graded with the label
  • The problem with cherrypicking is that the other three coins become just one of many.... I hate labels, but the fact of the circus is that they have some market. The bullion coin effectively becomes one of 30+million instead of one of less than 100,000 if the box is opened. Is that worth paying $32 for?

• << <i>Here's a thought...

Granted, the market is the market. However, I feel like having these designations may not be worth the while and wait. If you follow this school of thought, the world of cherry picking just seriously opened up. >>

Well you are right, but I thought that PCGS was going to be giving 25th anniversary set on these coins no matter when or how they receive them. Since that designation is coming at no extra cost it doesn't seem as big of a concern for the keys.

It's a bigger concern for the non-keys i think. Since the 25th anniversary set labels will serve as a de-facto FS on those issues because on the non-keys PCGS or any TPG has no idea if the other coins in the set were originally part of the set or if they were fillers put in later unless the box was sent in unopened. This might lead to a slight bump in prices due to people looking to finish off a graded 25th anny set, but I don't think it will amount to much.

<< <i>IIRC the slip that the UPS driver leaves has the phone # of the local UPS depot and options to schedule a different delivery time.
    But, as pointed out, I would contact UPS to make sure.
    In the past, I have been able to take the slip down to the UPS depot and pick up items. >>

Signed up for their online thing.
    Just so people know, once you have a tracking number, you can change the address to ship somewhere else (they charge you extra I think) or have them hold it somewhere.

• nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>

<< <i>

On something this important I would call UPS for an answer that you will know is correct. I do know that they make a second attempt to deliver the next day and after that it goes back to the nearest distribution center where it gets held for pickup, for how long I do not know. I have heard that you can call them and make arrangements to have it delivered elsewhere such as your place of employment. To do that you will need a tracking number. Tracking number on mint expedited shipments usually appears the evening before it is delivered. >>

So changing your address (to work for example) after the mint has shipped wont interfere with the mint's "system" of canceling orders with different address, and all of that?
    Thanks! I will look more into it with ups >>

The US Mint should ship using Fedex. At the time of the hockey pucks I had a similar problem. I was leaving for 2 weeks the day of the delivery.
    I called Fedex and asked for and "Hold for pick up" at a location near my apt the night before the delivery.

I doubt you can ask them to deliver the package elsewhere, usually that call has to be made by the shipper.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • 21st ship date zzzzzzz
    "I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more"

<< <i>In other words, is it even worth it to care, much, about the 25th Anny ASE set designation for the two key coins? Much like the FS label on the same coins.. >>

probably not, as long as the set is kept intact after grading and you don't try to sell an individual coin withouth the Set label. Most buyers of individually graded coins will be looking to fill a hole in their set with a particular grade and the set label will be important to them. Set label will be important on the remaining three coins (100K limit) because without it they will be no different the ones issued outside of the set.

When decide your grading options you must first decide if your decision is to satisfy you or to satisfy customers. If you are planning on resale you want to have a product that will appeal to the most buyers.

<< <i>So far, PCGS and NGC are seemingly unwilling to certify the bullion Silver Eagle in this set as being from the San Francisco Mint and designate it as such on the label as a 2011-(S) or "Struck at San Francisco Mint." >>

unlike earlier SF bullion coin release, the set coin will have the S mintmark. Both grading companies will show it as a 2011 S. PCGS's use of parenthesis on the earlier issue is because there was proof it came from the SF mint (sealed monster boxes) even though it did not have the mintmark.

<< <i>I posted this question in the grading thread: Are you allowed to request a minimum grade on submissions or is that only for bulk? >>

Normally this only available with a bulk order (100 or more coins and other stipulations).

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• One thing is certain: 2011 will be remembered as one hell of a complicated year for ASEs....
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So far, PCGS and NGC are seemingly unwilling to certify the bullion Silver Eagle in this set as being from the San Francisco Mint and designate it as such on the label as a 2011-(S) or "Struck at San Francisco Mint." >>

unlike earlier SF bullion coin release, the set coin will have the S mintmark. Both grading companies will show it as a 2011 S. PCGS's use of parenthesis on the earlier issue is because there was proof it came from the SF mint (sealed monster boxes) even though it did not have the mintmark. >>

One of the set coins will have the S mintmark... that coin is unique to this set.

Another coin will be a bullion coin w/o a mintmark. But the Mint has confirmed that the unmintmarked coin was struck at the S.F. Mint... my point was that the unmintmarked coin should also be certified as a 2011-(S) to be consistent.

<< <i>
    The US Mint should ship using Fedex. At the time of the hockey pucks I had a similar problem. I was leaving for 2 weeks the day of the delivery.
    I called Fedex and asked for and "Hold for pick up" at a location near my apt the night before the delivery.

I doubt you can ask them to deliver the package elsewhere, usually that call has to be made by the shipper. >>

Most people are saying UPS is doing the shipping...and if you have an account on their website you can change the address once you have a tracking number
  • erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    My last order from the mint was shipped UPS. After the first attempted delivery I was able to go online w/ the tracking number and change the address to my work address. Cost about $5 if I remember correctly.
  • question do you think the s mint silver eagle from this set is going to affect the value of the so called (s) mint silver eagles that were graded 70 from the monster boxes?
    25th silver eagle set

<< <i>One of the set coins will have the S mintmark... that coin is unique to this set.
    Another coin will be a bullion coin w/o a mintmark. But the Mint has confirmed that the unmintmarked coin was struck at the S.F. Mint... my point was that the unmintmarked coin should also be certified as a 2011-(S) to be consistent. >>

Missunderstood/misread your question. I agree with you 100%. TPG should treat a sealed mint set the same as they did a sealed mint box with an (S).

• If the Mint ever gets around to sending my sets, I'll be opening the box and cherrypick the sets to make one super-duper set of potential 70's.
    The rest I'll sell slowly over time.
    I won't be sending any in for grading though, at least not at this time.
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thanks! I will look more into it with ups >>

According to my UPS Distribution Center, only the shipper can change the delivery address except once an attempt has been made to deliver, you can call and have it held at the Distribution Center. Then you can go pick it up. However, you have to have a Government issued ID with your address on it for them to turn it over to you.

There is no way, according to them, that the receiver can change where it is to be delivered when you are required to sign for it. I have tried. In fact, I have tried to get them to hold it at th Distribution Center rather than making the first attempt and they say, "No, we have to try to make the first attempt. Then you can have it held."

<< <i>question do you think the s mint silver eagle from this set is going to affect the value of the so called (s) mint silver eagles that were graded 70 from the monster boxes? >>

When these sets hit the market I believe prices realized on all other ASE's will temporarily drop as buyers focus on the sets. When everything settles I believe most collectors will want both labels in their collection.

• Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If the Mint ever gets around to sending my sets, I'll be opening the box and cherrypick the sets to make one super-duper set of potential 70's.
    I won't be sending any in for grading though, at least not at this time. >>

You won't get the 25th Anniversary label on all those 70's.

<< <i>

<< <i>If the Mint ever gets around to sending my sets, I'll be opening the box and cherrypick the sets to make one super-duper set of potential 70's.
    I won't be sending any in for grading though, at least not at this time. >>

You won't get the 25th Anniversary label on all those 70's. >>

And, you could have saved money buying three of them without a set label already graded 70.

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just went to in Stock and reserved.. no ship date.

BTW what is the total cost of grading 5 sets of these with the 25th Lable?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file