Home U.S. Coin Forum

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• i`ll make a prediction that tomorrow night smoeone here will post that their order goes to in stock and reserved.

i could be wrong..... just a feeling. image
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it will be at least another week before the mint ships. I think they are taking their sweet time ensuring the 5 PHH limit.

I wonder if their new ordering system will also track IP addresses image
  • bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i`ll make a prediction that tomorrow night smoeone here will post that their order goes to in stock and reserved.

i could be wrong..... just a feeling. image >>

They do that on weekends?

• << <i>

<< <i>Peace4Darlin is my sister. Last night she sent me a pic of her order status. She was logged into her account. She had ordered 2 items. The ASE set shows backordered with no cancel box as of last night. (It had a cancel box prior). The other shows in stock and reserved with no cancel box.

Prior to last night her status was on hold, last night changed to in process, with the above mentioned changes. >>

System glitch...you can't be on a b.o. status w/o the cancel box. According to PBGS, none have been coded "In Stock & Reserved" >>

For the millionth time: YOU HAVE TO BE SIGNED IN TO THE MINT SITE FOR THE CANCEL BOX TO SHOW UP!!!!!
  • commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it will be at least another week before the mint ships. I think they are taking their sweet time ensuring the 5 PHH limit.

I wonder if their new ordering system will also track IP addresses image >>

Except that 2 orders placed from the same ip could easily be 2 legitimately different households and orders...so I doubt that.
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    They check to see that the CC billing address and the shipping address match and that only 5 sets are on order to that address. That's it.
  • tincuptincup Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If you got a "A Message to Our Customers" email from the Mint, are they just letting you down easy for a cancellation? Just being paranoid here. >>

I called the mint earlier this week 4.30 orders and under are shoo ins ..later maybes.. they had many disappointed customers trying to get sets.. >>

I am 90% confident that those who got orders in between 4:30 PM and 7:00 PM will get their sets. What do I base this on? Nada... just my gut feeling, lol. But I give it those high odds because I really think the US Mint is slashing out a significant number of orders due to abuse of the system. If something doesn't quite match up correctly on the order, or looks suspicious, out it goes, and another order SOL. And add on to that number, the number of orders not going through due to lock up of the computer system; some may have thought their order went through but perhaps it ended up in cyberworld lost and found department.
    ----- kj

<< <i>They check to see that the CC billing address and the shipping address match and that only 5 sets are on order to that address. That's it. >>

Even that is no guarantee. I positively know of cases where a different credit card was used, with a different address; a different telephone number used; and a different shipping address for the US Mint to deliver to. The only thing remaining the same was the name. Cancelled.

The US Mint is using more in depth methods of cross referencing. I'm not sure exactly how they are doing it, but they are stepping up the game.
    ----- kj

• << <i>I am 90% confident that those who got orders in between 4:30 PM and 7:00 PM will get their sets. >>

I hope you are right! My orders are at 5:06 pm and 5:35 pm ET. Tried all afternoon at work and couldn't get through.image

• commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They check to see that the CC billing address and the shipping address match and that only 5 sets are on order to that address. That's it. >>

The shipping and billing address do not have to match. I called and asked prior to ordering.
    I have a po box on my CC but I wanted them sent to my house. And my order wasn't cancelled.

• << <i>

<< <i>i`ll make a prediction that tomorrow night smoeone here will post that their order goes to in stock and reserved.

i could be wrong..... just a feeling. image >>

They do that on weekends? >>

shipping is handled by PBGS not the US Mint. pitney bowes government solutions.

i seem to remember an order status change in a sunday night.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.

• << <i>They check to see that the CC billing address and the shipping address match and that only 5 sets are on order to that address. That's it. >>

Nope, they check email addresses too. I mistakenly used my email address when ordering 5 sets for my brother-in-law and they cancelled his order. The mint sent an email saying that's why they cancelled it, his credit card was good and I used his billing and shipping address.

<< <i>

Even that is no guarantee. I positively know of cases where a different credit card was used, with a different address; a different telephone number used; and a different shipping address for the US Mint to deliver to. The only thing remaining the same was the name. Cancelled.

The US Mint is using more in depth methods of cross referencing. I'm not sure exactly how they are doing it, but they are stepping up the game. >>

So, you really believe that only one John Smith will receive a set of the Silver Eagles? The limit is five per household, not 5 per person. I've had two households under the same name that have been receiving limited offerings from the Mint for years without a cancellation.
  • keezkeez Posts: 842
    In reply to: "For the millionth time: YOU HAVE TO BE SIGNED IN TO THE MINT SITE FOR THE CANCEL BOX TO SHOW UP!!!!!"

She was logged into her account. I can guarantee that.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>If you got a "A Message to Our Customers" email from the Mint, are they just letting you down easy for a cancellation? Just being paranoid here. >>

I called the mint earlier this week 4.30 orders and under are shoo ins ..later maybes.. they had many disappointed customers trying to get sets.. >>

I am 90% confident that those who got orders in between 4:30 PM and 7:00 PM will get their sets. What do I base this on? Nada... just my gut feeling, lol. But I give it those high odds because I really think the US Mint is slashing out a significant number of orders due to abuse of the system. If something doesn't quite match up correctly on the order, or looks suspicious, out it goes, and another order SOL. And add on to that number, the number of orders not going through due to lock up of the computer system; some may have thought their order went through but perhaps it ended up in cyberworld lost and found department. >>

You could base your opinion on the following quote from Numismatic News.

"Tom Jurkowsky, the Mint’s director of public affairs, said that in the first five hours the sets were available, the Mint received over 27,000 orders. Order size averaged three sets, so roughly 81,000 sets were snapped up in that period." NN

<< <i>

Nope, they check email addresses too. I mistakenly used my email address when ordering 5 sets for my brother-in-law and they cancelled his order. The mint sent an email saying that's why they cancelled it, his credit card was good and I used his billing and shipping address. >>

That's a new one! I've never heard of the Mint sending an email to explain why an order was cancelled...image
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry if this was asked before in this thread.

Were all the coins struck before the set went on sale?

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

<< <i>

<< <i>

The US Mint is using more in depth methods of cross referencing. I'm not sure exactly how they are doing it, but they are stepping up the game. >>

So, you really believe that only one John Smith will receive a set of the Silver Eagles? The limit is five per household, not 5 per person. I've had two households under the same name that have been receiving limited offerings from the Mint for years without a cancellation. >>

No, not saying that at all. Just saying I do not know what procedure the US Mint uses to verify or disqualify orders. All I can state for sure are the info I gave in the post regarding orders I know about, no other inferences are intended. BTW, in the case in mentioned, different email addresses were also used. However, the orders were made from the same computer. It does not appear to be as simple as some imply when it comes to the Mint checking for duplicate orders.
    ----- kj
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry if this was asked before in this thread.

Were all the coins struck before the set went on sale? >>

You really should start a new thread to ask this. Everyone else is.image
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    I have one question for those of you that up so tight over these sets. Will an extra $1,000 to $2,000 really change your life style? In my case even a $100,000 windfall wouldn't.
    USAF vet 1951-59

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

So, you really believe that only one John Smith will receive a set of the Silver Eagles? The limit is five per household, not 5 per person. I've had two households under the same name that have been receiving limited offerings from the Mint for years without a cancellation. >>

No, not saying that at all. Just saying I do not know what procedure the US Mint uses to verify or disqualify orders. All I can state for sure are the info I gave in the post regarding orders I know about, no other inferences are intended. BTW, in the case in mentioned, different email addresses were also used. However, the orders were made from the same computer. It does not appear to be as simple as some imply when it comes to the Mint checking for duplicate orders. >>

I had the mint cancel some of my orders back in 2007 when the first spouse coins were released. Ordered the max(5 per spouse, proof and unc) for both myself and my father. Used my billing and shipping address for mine, his billing and shipping for his. They cancelled half of my order. I called to explain the situation and the mint operator DID NOT CARE that me and my father were different people. We have the same last name, you see, and since the orders were placed on the same computer I was trying to circumvent the ordering limits. I was on the phone over an hour with her, then her supervisor and they would not reinstate the order.

• << <i>I have one question for those of you that up so tight over these sets. Will an extra $1,000 to $2,000 really change your life style? In my case even a $100,000 windfall wouldn't. >>

Let them eat cake?
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I have one question for those of you that up so tight over these sets. Will an extra $1,000 to $2,000 really change your life style? In my case even a $100,000 windfall wouldn't. >>

Let them eat cake? >>

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭
    The mint does not check IP addresses. As far as the same last and you are cancelled, I find it hard to believe. Though it seemed to happen on some posters on here.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

The ebay police are at it again. All the pre-sales are gone again.

• << <i>The ebay police are at it again. All the pre-sales are gone again. >>

Looks like eBay is very serious this time.
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Every time they start listing some there are fewer and fewer people trying it. They must be getting the word.
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

No, not saying that at all. Just saying I do not know what procedure the US Mint uses to verify or disqualify orders. All I can state for sure are the info I gave in the post regarding orders I know about, no other inferences are intended. BTW, in the case in mentioned, different email addresses were also used. However, the orders were made from the same computer. It does not appear to be as simple as some imply when it comes to the Mint checking for duplicate orders. >>

I had the mint cancel some of my orders back in 2007 when the first spouse coins were released. Ordered the max(5 per spouse, proof and unc) for both myself and my father. Used my billing and shipping address for mine, his billing and shipping for his. They cancelled half of my order. I called to explain the situation and the mint operator DID NOT CARE that me and my father were different people. We have the same last name, you see, and since the orders were placed on the same computer I was trying to circumvent the ordering limits. I was on the phone over an hour with her, then her supervisor and they would not reinstate the order. >>

Happened to me too before I used a router. Plus I even did the onion skin thing after that. For a year now I've dropped the onion skin and just tweaked FF and ZA to not allow the last three of my ip out. If those reasons are valid I don't know, it's just what I did.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have one question for those of you that up so tight over these sets. Will an extra $1,000 to $2,000 really change your life style? In my case even a $100,000 windfall wouldn't. >>

I know enough people for whom $1k would be a lifesaver.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

Great advise. Lots of paranoia floating around here.
    Hopefully all who want them get them. Time will tell.
    Hopefully those that wanted them but don't get them will continue to collect what they want and enjoy the hobby in good health.
    Those who are trying to get these to flip/make a living or whatever. I also wish you good luck.
    But.....everybody should relax a little more.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I know enough people for whom $1k would be a lifesaver. >>

So do I.
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

As they should. I have no issues with the mint using any tools available to enforce the rules they set forth.
    Household limits should be enforced.
    jmho
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    I just got a letter from the Mint, due to the amount of my order, they want me to confirm and verify total,shipping and billing address. Fill the information out and mail it back to them. I've been buying from the US MInt for many years and never had I received a letter like this from them?
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got a letter from the Mint, due to the amount of my order, they want me to confirm and verify total,shipping and billing address. Fill the information out and mail it back to them. I've been buying from the US MInt for many years and never had I received a letter like this from them? >>

What was the product and how much money triggered such a request?

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• << <i>We have the same last name, you see, and since the orders were placed on the same computer I was trying to circumvent the ordering limits. >>

I could see the same last name being a possible issue again this time if the orders were placed from the same IP. Even if it shouldn't be.

The IP addess itself means nothing though. Different names/shipping addresses/CC numbers means a different household order. Even if it shouldn't be.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    What a freaking mess.

US Mint needs to consult Amazon for the way to do this selling thing.

Srsly.

Who knows who the Mint contracted with to update the front end of the sales system.

I suspect its called Solyndra Business Government Services.

<< <i>

<< <i>I just got a letter from the Mint, due to the amount of my order, they want me to confirm and verify total,shipping and billing address. Fill the information out and mail it back to them. I've been buying from the US MInt for many years and never had I received a letter like this from them? >>

What was the product and how much money triggered such a request? >>

One letter for a order of a 25th anniversary set ($299.95)and another letter for 4 sets of 25th anniversary($1,199.80). If I do not mail both letters back in 10 days orders are cancelled.

• << <i>

<< <i>

What was the product and how much money triggered such a request? >>

One letter for a order of a 25th anniversary set ($299.95)and another letter for 4 sets of 25th anniversary($1,199.80). If I do not mail both letters back in 10 days orders are cancelled. >>

Id be interested to see what the letter looks like. If possible could you post it (minus your personal info)
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    The current system the Mint uses is over 10 years old and was built on old technology then. I KNOW this for a fact. The reason the previous customer was asked to verify some information is that his order bumped against the fraud threshold in their system. It may not be working correctly, but that is most certainly what happened.

How do I know this, I was the technical expert on the system they replaced. I chose NOT to work with the development of the current system and went on to other things 10 years ago when they put in the current system. PM me if you have any questions.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • The links below could explain theverification letter. Turns out it is possible that letters are being sent out if you have different billing and shipping addresses (even though you may not be trying to circumvent the HH system)

Link 1

Link 2

• << <i>This post on kitco link could explain theverification letter. Turns out it is possible that letters are being sent out if you have different billing and shipping addresses (even though you may not be trying to circumvent the HH system)

This is another example >>

the link is broken. edited the first link is broken.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    kitco is an httpS to make it work

<< <i>The link below could explain theverification letter. Turns out it is possible that letters are being sent out if you have different billing and shipping addresses (even though you may not be trying to circumvent the HH system)

Link 1[/q

I'am having the coins shipped to my brothers house because I will not be in town to receive them but I did used my billing address thats on file with the Mint. Thats the only thing I can think of thats why.

• To the above poster...that is what seemed to trigger the letter. I fixed the links above and it turns out that it was the case where people had different shipping and billing addresses
  • My first order went to my billing address and it went through fine. When I tried to order a couple sets and send them to my retired relative's address (can sign for them), it was almost immediately "suspended." I've had other orders delivered there previously, most recently the 5oz Glacier NP, so I don't know why that happened. So, I went back to the same billing and delivery address - no problem.

<< <i>To the above poster...that is what seemed to trigger the letter. I fixed the links above and it turns out that it was the case where people had different shipping and billing addresses >>

Makes sense, because this is the first time I've had any items shipped to different address than mine with my billing address. I sent out the letters a couple hours ago.
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Within the past couple of hours Ebay has again whacked nearly every 25th set auction and BIN, and now there are just a couple remaining. Quite a few of the single sets were bid up to very strong levels before the mass whacking.
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

It certainly won't help change my lifestyle in the longterm, but being a college student, if I were to sell all mine (and the prices held at $600, or more....not sure what 'very strong levels' means in actual bids), it certainly could/would change what happens during spring breakfor me (and where it happens). Not being a flipper, per se, I see this particular opportunity as a golden opportunity to change a week to 10 days of it (or I could even apply it to my student loans.......not!).
    I'll come up with something.

• << <i>I have one question for those of you that up so tight over these sets. Will an extra $1,000 to $2,000 really change your life style? In my case even a $100,000 windfall wouldn't. >>

Regardless of the ethical/moral issues related to number of sets bought and the potential of violating the spirit of household minimums, the above statement is extremely naive and insulting to those that may not be luck enough where "even $100,000 windfall wouldn't" change their lifestyle. Congratulations on being in such an enviable situation - the majority of people can certainly use a measly 1k or 2k.

Jeff
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146

<< <i>

Regardless of the ethical/moral issues related to number of sets bought and the potential of violating the spirit of household minimums, the above statement is extremely naive and insulting to those that may not be luck enough where "even $100,000 windfall wouldn't" change their lifestyle. Congratulations on being in such an enviable situation - the majority of people can certainly use a measly 1k or 2k.

Jeff >>

NAIVE??? You don't know what the hell your talking about. I have earned every penny I have and didn't get it by beating the system. I have never used F & F to order more then the Mint's limit and have no time for those that do and belly ache about it.
    USAF vet 1951-59

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file