25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2401 image
    welcome to the boards JohnT

What do you collect ? image

HE>I

• scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    Looks like ebay pre-sales are trending up now from $650-750 based on the last 24 hours.

• << <i>Looks like ebay pre-sales are trending up now from $650-750 based on the last 24 hours. >>

Because even the pre-sales are becoming an endangered species...Ebay is making an artificial rarity by pulling some sets and causing the surviving sets to rise in price...
  • holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    A message from the mint:

Dear United States Mint Customer:

We are fully aware of the difficulties many customers encountered last week with the release of the American Eagle 25th Anniversary Set. We would like you to know that we have undertaken an aggressive review of how we brought the product to market so we can better serve all of our customers in the future. Dick Peterson, the Deputy Director of the United States Mint, has also directed that the bureau review all future product offerings to ensure that we apply to them the lessons we learned from the marketing of the American Eagle 25th Anniversary Set.

One of the principal sources of frustration was our web and phone order-taking system. As many of you know, we are in the process of updating our order management system. Our current system is very outdated and we recognize that it does not serve our customers well. Accordingly, we recently selected a contractor that will develop and implement our new system—one that will be modern and comparable to other top-rated retail Web sites. Unfortunately, this transition will take some time; we are anticipating that the new system will be in place by fall 2012.

Our aim is to work earnestly to ensure that the inconvenience and frustration that our regular customers may have encountered last week is mitigated in 2012 as we re-examine our product launch strategies and systems. We value our relationship with you and are committed to serving you professionally and responsively. You deserve no less!

The United States Mint

When I saw the email I was scared that I was either off the list, or the level was dropped from 5 to 3, or 1 per house.
  • EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭
    uhhh, I just wish the mint would just start charginga and shipping orders, so we know if we are going to get what we ordered !
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭

<< <i>quit watching ship date it means nothing. Keep your eye on the cancel box, when it disappears you need to be on the lookout for UPS. >>

The cancel box doesn't mean anything either. It can be on and then removed, and then on again.

When you have it in your hand, then you know whether you'll get yours or not.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The status quo will remain in place until the "first In Stock and Reserved" notice is received. Anything up to that point is speculation and a moot issue.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The status quo will remain in place until the "first In Stock and Reserved" notice is received. Anything up to that point is speculation and a moot issue.[/q.

]image

Further, I have never had an order not ship once the canel box was gone (or have it come back).
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not convinced the poofing = higher prices. All's it means is they WILL FLOOD the market when in hand, since they can no longer meter out.

Basic laws of economics will prevail once the first few are sold (at moon prices). After the surge, prices will rebound. >>

price moves up and down will be magnified once sets are out
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

So...are we actually going to have these in hand by the time the turkey...or the tur-duc-ken...hits the dining room table?!?
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They certainly are taking their time. I can't believe none of them are even "in stock and reserved" yet.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Delay could be because of discussions to reduce ordering limits.

Before everyone screams as I recall they did an after-the-fact reduction on ordering limits for the 2001 Buffalo .
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no delay. Everyone seems to be forgetting that they told us in their announcement of the set that shipping would be late November. Everything they are doing is to meet that commitment.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Delay could be because of discussions to reduce ordering limits.

Before everyone screams as I recall they did an after-the-fact reduction on ordering limits for the 2001 Buffalo . >>

No they didn't, The 2001 Buff was a fantastic flip for those with foresight image

I had over 90 image
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like ebay pre-sales are trending up now from $650-750 based on the last 24 hours. >>

Because even the pre-sales are becoming an endangered species...Ebay is making an artificial rarity by pulling some sets and causing the surviving sets to rise in price... >>

Absolutely correct. Everything happening in the marketplace is entirely understandable using simple supply and demand theory, which is why government or corporate intervention in the marketplace rarely accomplishes its intended purpose. Buyers and sellers are adults, and each must do their own due diligence. When an entity tries to protect you from yourself, hold on to your wallet.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Yes and I had over 200 but as I recall there was some after the fact change in ordering limits. I don't recall if it was for the coin and currency set or the 2 coin set but I believe there was some last minitue change.
    IMHO...There's not going to be any retroactive order [limit] reduction.

In two separate "We're Sorry" communications, there was no hint of that...and CW is also not picking up any rumblings along those lines (or else they'd likely be reporting it on-line).

And anyhow...what percentage of those actually attempting to order on Day 1 likely got through and successfully placed at least one order...80%..90%...more? It's not like the majority of people got shut out...like was the case during the initial debacle during some of the third party ATB sales shenanigans...and forced the Mint's hand!
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully they aren't still chopping down trees for the wood boxes.image
  • Does anyone get the feeling flippers/dealers are still buying in the aftermarket on the Bay? 5 coin set for only $3k or so doesn't seem like a ridiculous premium.

Very new to this hobby, but aren't these sets truly an unusual offering?

Can an experienced collector confirm a matter of confusion for me? Is it true that if I don't open the box and someday choose to send in for grading, that all 5 coins will still receive the "Anniversary Set" label, just not FS?

<< <i>Does anyone get the feeling flippers/dealers are still buying in the aftermarket on the Bay? 5 coin set for only $3k or so doesn't seem like a ridiculous premium.

Can an experienced collector confirm a matter of confusion for me? Is it true that if I don't open the box and someday choose to send in for grading, that all 5 coins will still receive the "Anniversary Set" label, just not FS? >>

yes, as long as they are mint sealed they will qualify for when ever that will be

• << <i>Does anyone get the feeling flippers/dealers are still buying in the aftermarket on the Bay? 5 coin set for only $3k or so doesn't seem like a ridiculous premium.

Can an experienced collector confirm a matter of confusion for me? Is it true that if I don't open the box and someday choose to send in for grading, that all 5 coins will still receive the "Anniversary Set" label, just not FS? >>

image to the boards,
    As long as still sealed it will indefinitely be eligible for FS as long as shipping date on the box's mailing label is within the 30 day window set by PCGS. That is the advantage of holding any newly released product in its sealed box even after the 30 day window passes. To be eligible for anniversary set label indefinitely it has to remain sealed. Shipping date has no affect on eligibility for anniversary set label.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    It looks like Ebay just whacked a bunch more of the 25th set auctions, just a small handful remain listed.
    wonder if they will start selling coupons to redeem for a set image
  • Wow, so indefinitely eligible for FS as well. Even though that one single matter causes me to look askance at the TPG's generally. I guess there's no arguing the FAT premiums paid for the FS label given the price sheets and Ebay auctions.

Pardon my untrusting nature as a new investor, but wouldn't the TPG's be the coin equivalent of the credit rating agencies that let us all down so dramatically in the not so distant past for their own benefit? It just seems too easy to be unethical and simply give the minions 69's and pass out 70's to your best customers/dealers. Please understand I am not trying to diminish the integrity of the hobby/investment in any way, only trying to act in a prudent fashion to optimize my chances at success.

So many knowledgeable people on this thread, I have learned a great deal in reading through it. Sure are alot of little secrets in the coin world.
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm voting.
    Voting for the rudest response in this thread, that is.

Thursday October 27, 2011 7:49 PM

<< No sour grapes here. Bought 20 sets. I'll keep mine like the 20th gold and silver sets I still have. Sounds like sour grapes from the person trying to pre-sell on E-bay. Get over it. Pay your cedit card if you can. If not, you lose and others that WANTED the sets to keep, NOT TO FLIP will get them! (( >>

t
    I pay my credit card in full every month smart a$$.. Like I said, I'll end up selling it for more than I probably would have if eBay hadn't ended the auction, so they probably did me a huge favor.
    And the fact that you would brag about buying 20 sets shows that you're really the greedy one, when there are apparently a lot of people who never even got one. Soo.. GFYM.

Have a nice day
    Can't we all just get along?
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    <<< It just seems too easy to be unethical and simply give the minions 69's and pass out 70's to your best customers/dealers. >>>

The two major 3rd party grading services claim their graders have no knowledge who the submitter is when grading coins, hence all coins enter the grading room anonymously.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't we all just get along? >>

Why take the fun out of it?image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Talk about deceptive pictures:

a mint pic on table made to appear in hand Even though the listing says pre sale.
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes and I had over 200 but as I recall there was some after the fact change in ordering limits. I don't recall if it was for the coin and currency set or the 2 coin set but I believe there was some last minitue change. >>

Ahh yes, no not the 2 coin set, but u r right as I think they put the limit on the cc set at 10 which is what I got.

<< <i>Talk about deceptive pictures:

a mint pic on table made to appear in hand Even though the listing says pre sale. >>

wonder if you could buy it, he gives you the full order number, you cancel the order at the mint for him, he doesnt get the coins and refunds you image
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't we all just get along? >>

When the pond is full of water, you can safely swim with the piranha. But, once the water level starts to drop, it is not a good idea to jump in. When the water gets really low, the piranha start to feed on each other.

<< <i>Wow, so indefinitely eligible for FS as well. Even though that one single matter causes me to look askance at the TPG's generally. I guess there's no arguing the FAT premiums paid for the FS label given the price sheets and Ebay auctions.

Pardon my untrusting nature as a new investor, but wouldn't the TPG's be the coin equivalent of the credit rating agencies that let us all down so dramatically in the not so distant past for their own benefit? It just seems too easy to be unethical and simply give the minions 69's and pass out 70's to your best customers/dealers. Please understand I am not trying to diminish the integrity of the hobby/investment in any way, only trying to act in a prudent fashion to optimize my chances at success.

So many knowledgeable people on this thread, I have learned a great deal in reading through it. Sure are alot of little secrets in the coin world. >>

Reputable TPGs guarantee what they put on the label. On occasion they even downgrade their own opinion when resubmitted in which case they payout the difference in current value.

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

a mint pic on table made to appear in hand Even though the listing says pre sale. >>

wonder if you could buy it, he gives you the full order number, you cancel the order at the mint for him, he doesnt get the coins and refunds you image >>

• commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Hahaha...he couldn't even remove the background of the original ASE picture to make it look more believable...

• << <i>

<< <i>

wonder if you could buy it, he gives you the full order number, you cancel the order at the mint for him, he doesnt get the coins and refunds you image >>

image >>

Well..... good timing since this has been bothering me for a while....

We know the early order numbers (minus the last 3 digits) (ex: 1234xxx).... we know the middle order numbers (ex: 1245xxx)...we know the later numbers (ex: 1256xxx)

one assumes a LOT of the 5 coin set orders exist between that 1234xxx and 1256xxx

If you could cancel an order JUST with the number why couldn't someone start at 1234999 and cancel random orders up to 1256999 just for jollies and help their position on the waiting list????

Makes no sense to me that you can cancel an order without being logged into the account with the order but maybe that's just me

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

We know the early order numbers (minus the last 3 digits) (ex: 1234xxx).... we know the middle order numbers (ex: 1245xxx)...we know the later numbers (ex: 1256xxx)

one assumes a LOT of the 5 coin set orders exist between that 1234xxx and 1256xxx

If you could cancel an order JUST with the number why couldn't someone start at 1234999 and cancel random orders up to 1256999 just for jollies and help their position on the waiting list????

Makes no sense to me that you can cancel an order without being logged into the account with the order but maybe that's just me >>

get address and name info from ebay, call us mint , info may match up to the order. it's was more a funny though than it actually happening

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Makes no sense to me that you can cancel an order without being logged into the account with the order but maybe that's just me >>

I don't think you can...

• << <i>Well..... good timing since this has been bothering me for a while....

I don't think you can...I ordered my set from the website and didn't register prior. So the only way I get tracking is through the Tracking tab (not in my account) where I put in my last name and order number. When it pulls up this way, there is no way to cancel the order (No check box). Unless of course you feel like calling the mint and pretending your him...
  • Sooooooooo why all the paranoia about not putting your complete order number on this thread???

<< <i>Sooooooooo why all the paranoia about not putting your complete order number on this thread??? >>

in the past someone could cancel your order with only your last name and order number. They were able to use the cancel box to wipe out your order and push their order up a notch. Now you don't get to see the cancel box unless you log into the account. Don't know how it would work if you tried to cancel over the phone and probably why no one wants to give their full order number. Hopefully they would make you verify you are the account holder.

To see what I'm talking about log out of your mint account the click track order, type in your last name and order number. this is what someone else could see without logging into your account. Accessing the order number in this fashion is a good way to satisfy a buyer in a presale. After his purchase provide him your last name and order number and he can verify that you actually have an order in and what it's status is. On the flip side if prices shoot up before you deliver your presale, he will know you are lying if you try to void the sale by saying "I didn't get it from the mint."

<< <i>It looks like Ebay just whacked a bunch more of the 25th set auctions, just a small handful remain listed. >>

before thursday's purge I counted 6 dealers- with more than 5 ---- 5 set boxes for BIN.. they will come out on the bay in numbers

<< <i>

<< <i>It looks like Ebay just whacked a bunch more of the 25th set auctions, just a small handful remain listed. >>

before thursday's purge I counted 6 dealers- with more than 5 ---- 5 set boxes for BIN.. they will come out on the bay in numbers >>

All the presales will come back starting tonight...ebay didn't do anything during saturday and sunday last week

<< <i>Does anyone get the feeling flippers/dealers are still buying in the aftermarket on the Bay? 5 coin set for only $3k or so doesn't seem like a ridiculous premium.

My coin dealer friend has a 35 % renege rate on his promised sets from individuals.. no confirm #
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

My coin dealer friend has a 35 % renege rate on his promised sets from individuals.. no confirm # >>

Is he on the forums? A B&M? An internet dealer?
    What type of people did he get the promises from? Family? Forum members? Friends?

Were people saying they were shut out or are they just reneging?

Given the problems with ordering and the fact that many people have lives/jobs and it may not have been worth their time afterall, it doesn't surprise me but if it were from forum members, then that would be different as many should have understood the time/ordering risks going in (though, I am sure a bunch of those that offered more than 5 sets were counting on their family/friends to do the dirty work for them)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

A question to anyone who would care to answer...but have any of the big dealers (and you know who they are) upped their initial ante to secure more supply?
  • My order # is 38407xxx and is in process now. However, from what I'm reading on here, that doesn't mean I'm getting a set. Is that correct? I've heard you can be in process and still get the dreaded "We are sorry to inform you" email. Besides the knock on the door, when is the time to get excited about a possible completed order?
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My order # is 38407xxx and is in process now. However, from what I'm reading on here, that doesn't mean I'm getting a set. Is that correct? I've heard you can be in process and still get the dreaded "We are sorry to inform you" email. Besides the knock on the door, when is the time to get excited about a possible completed order? >>

You're correct in your assumption...what you're looking for is: "IN STOCK AND RESERVED"
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

• << <i>My order # is 38407xxx and is in process now. However, from what I'm reading on here, that doesn't mean I'm getting a set. Is that correct? I've heard you can be in process and still get the dreaded "We are sorry to inform you" email. Besides the knock on the door, when is the time to get excited about a possible completed order? >>

When you see "in stock and reserved", you can bring out the good wine.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file