Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    5001!!!

Edited to add (and change number): Dang it!

-Paul
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    5000!

I wasn't quick enough, and other people had the same idea image

...5,002!
  • Options

<< <i>I'll just never understand these sets and the buyers for them. I've seen it time and again where people pay far above the going rate. Even happened to me. A few weeks ago I listed a single set in a sealed box for nearly $1000 which, at the time, was several hundred dollars over what they were selling for & someone actually bought for the listed price - didn't even try to make an offer - just clicked on the high BIN price. At the time there were hundreds of sets listed for far less. Really strange, but good strange, I guess. So congrats, Wondercoin, for bucking the tide. image >>

eBay never fails to amaze me!
  • Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>5000!

I wasn't quick enough, and other people had the same idea image

...5,002! >>

Sorry guys.. i cheated. (with the 3.2.1 countdown...) there's always 10k!
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Lots of people don't do research. They see an item on TV or in an advertisement, then search for a better price and the first better price they see they buy it. Sometimes they might even see some even lower prices but perceive them as too good to be true and/or riskier because the seller appears unprofessional.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep...it's the ones who went big to get their friends/family to buy dozens/hundreds of the sets. They want/need the money and any profit is better for them. They will flood to their hearts content until their supply runs out. Just look a few posts above yours. "Not trying to flood the market" but "in a position that & need to turnover pretty quickly".

If you have inventory, and you need to turn it quickly, you shoot low and flood because others are selling to.

This is the typical "weak hands" and "needing to pay the bills off" that so many people have commented on about these. >>

So, I guess you are talking to the other two dealers on here as well as this seller. They seems to be flooding the market as well.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>and that i'll never understand...
    the first set - $1610, then a little bit later - same seller - same exact item - $1700
    wonder how the next 5 will go. >>

and there's the first 15 handle... $1591.99

Aron, I wonder what your last 4 will go for. G'luck man! >>

Thanks! Looks like i'll need it ;-)

- Aron >>

Even with purchase price + grading costs + auction fees, etc. you're what, still doubling your investment or better . . . Not to shabby, IMO ! ! !

Best of luck,

HH >>

I wish I could sell 20 or 30 sets and profit around $1k on each!
  • Options
    It would be interesting to know how many 70 sets there are by label type.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It would be interesting to know how many 70 sets there are by label type. >>

Simple, use the coin of the set with the lowest population in 70. That's the maximum number of possible sets. That is the number of sets out there.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It would be interesting to know how many 70 sets there are by label type. >>

Simple, use the coin of the set with the lowest population in 70. That's the maximum number of possible sets. That is the number of sets out there. >>

I don't see pop's by label on PCGS' site.
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    5&10
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    Any good sniffers out there (other than my dog) ??

see ebay 150713339205
    Successful BST transactions with : Moderncoinmart,ebaytrader,ModCrewman,CharlieC,Lightcycler
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Any good sniffers out there (other than my dog) ??

see ebay 150713339205 >>

Text

That is funny!
  • Options

<< <i>

see ebay 150713339205 >>

Text

That is funny! >>

I noticed they smell like a brand new ford pickup image
    Currently working with nurmaler. Older transactions....circa 2011 BST transactions Gecko109, Segoja, lpinion, Agblox, oldgumballmachineswanted,pragmaticgoat, CharlieC, onlyroosies, timrutnat, ShinyThingsInPM under login lightcycler
  • Options

see ebay 150713339205 >>

It just goes to show you that if the buyer is not knowledgeable and accepts the seller's description, assuming it is unopened, they will get screwed in the process. Does the informed buyer really going to buy this unopened blue mint box? Compare to a singled sealed U.S. Mint box, come on, need I say more. Also, I would be skeptical about whether the seller has not opened the blue box and there is no way to prove it.

The old saying, "Buyer Beware" applies here.
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I sold my unopened sets about a month ago I have kinda lost track. A buddy of mine is selling the two he could afford on the Bay closing Friday. Any idea how he is going to do? Thanks for any info.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options

<< <i>Since I sold my unopened sets about a month ago I have kinda lost track. A buddy of mine is selling the two he could afford on the Bay closing Friday. Any idea how he is going to do? Thanks for any info. >>

image Are they sealed or open. open boxes I would guess $700 to $800 range, depending on when it closes (there an auction above that closed under $700). Sealed, high $700 to high $800 maybe. I haven't been following raw sets recently, only PCGS sets which are all over the place.
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sealed raw sets direct from the Mint, thanks.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    Like I said, I haven't been following the raw sets. The FS Flag MS/PR69 sets have been going for $800 to $975, with the Mint packaging and free shipping. The black label are in the mid $800 range and the signature labels in the high $800 to around $1k.

The 70 sets are up and down but appear to be averaging between $1600 and $1700.

I think the MS/PR at $800 or a little more are a bargin. I am not sure about the 70 sets in the above range. With as many 70's out there, I would think they would be in te $1200 to $1400 range.
  • Options
    Does anyone think there are arbitrage possibilities from buying the black label SAEs and sending them in to be reholdered with the flag label?
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone think there are arbitrage possibilities from buying the black label SAEs and sending them in to be reholdered with the flag label? >>

I asked that question a while back and suggested our host would chime in. But, no one responsed, either from the board or CU.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anyone think there are arbitrage possibilities from buying the black label SAEs and sending them in to be reholdered with the flag label? >>

I asked that question a while back and suggested our host would chime in. But, no one responsed, either from the board or CU. >>

I imagine it's possible if you could lock in the prices as of today. But just sending them in to change the labels would take a couple of weeks. You'd be gambling that the current price spreads would be the same then.
  • Options

<< <i>

I asked that question a while back and suggested our host would chime in. But, no one responsed, either from the board or CU. >>

I don't see any problem with PCGS, it is merely going back to the default label and they get more fees.

I think they made a marketing mistake with so many first strike labels when the public was unprepared.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I imagine it's possible if you could lock in the prices as of today. But just sending them in to change the labels would take a couple of weeks. You'd be gambling that the current price spreads would be the same then. >>

Arbitrage was probably the wrong word to use. The suggestion is that the black holdered coins have an impairment.
  • Options
    Just MHO but I would be careful before trying to play the label game. Both contain the exact same coins...what really matters is the coins and the grade.

Personally, I am not a fan of gimmicks and the Mercanti is essentially a two-gimmick pony that isn't available to the little guy, which chafes me a little. However, if you can get 70 coins cheaper in those that sounds like the deal.....don't know about trading them out for flags though. I am highly doubtful that after PCGS fees and ebay/pp fees it would be worthwhile to ever buy Mercantis and resell as flags for a profit. You'll do better by just trying to find the bottom of the market and then reselling later when they---if they do--swing back up.

My two cents....PF

Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>Just MHO but I would be careful before trying to play the label game. Both contain the exact same coins...what really matters is the coins and the grade.

Personally, I am not a fan of gimmicks and the Mercanti is essentially a two-gimmick pony that isn't available to the little guy, which chafes me a little. However, if you can get 70 coins cheaper in those that sounds like the deal.....don't know about trading them out for flags though. I am highly doubtful that after PCGS fees and ebay/pp fees it would be worthwhile to ever buy Mercantis and resell as flags for a profit. You'll do better by just trying to find the bottom of the 70 market and then reselling later when they---if they do--swing back up.

My two cents....PF >>

you make some good points Pink. However, we all know the Flag "gimmick" seems to pay better than the plain-jane labels. As for the black and signature labels, I just don't see them as anything special. As I posted earlier, I will be interesting to see what happens to the price of them once the hord of FS Flag sets hit the market. I believe we are at the start of the traditional flag labels htting. That may be why there has been such a glut of non-flag FS sets on eBay.
  • Options
    This is true. Many folks also may collect these as FS 70s and the flag label may represent better continuity when looking at the collection as a whole (well, after 2005 anyway).

I suspect PCGS would be happy to convert your Mercanti to flag for a fee...but not the other way around. Probably looking at something under $200 to convert a set of five. I guess it's a cost-benefit analysis.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    I just called PCGS customer service, it's no problem to switch labels, just write a note on the bottom of the submission form.

You will not be charged again for first strike, it's a $10 reholder fee or $30 for 70s. If mixed they must be on separate forms.
  • Options

<< <i>I just called PCGS customer service, it's no problem to switch labels, just write a note on the bottom of the submission form.

You will not be charged again for first strike, it's a $10 reholder fee or $30 for 70s. If mixed they must be on separate forms. >>

So, do I understand this correctly. If they are 69's, it will cost $50. But if they are 70's, it wil cost $150?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I just called PCGS customer service, it's no problem to switch labels, just write a note on the bottom of the submission form.

You will not be charged again for first strike, it's a $10 reholder fee or $30 for 70s. If mixed they must be on separate forms. >>

So, do I understand this correctly. If they are 69's, it will cost $50. But if they are 70's, it wil cost $150? >>

Yes, that's right, plus the $8 handling fee and shipping.
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>I noticed they smell like a brand new ford pickup image >>

i thought they smelled like an old VW.

the offgassing[solvent] was very strong.
    after 2 days open, i put em away for a week.
    upon reopening the smell was still present, less, but still strong.

curious how those keeping the sealed boxes will fare in a few months...
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had no idea the reholder fee was different depending on the coin's grade... interesting...
  • Options

<< <i>I had no idea the reholder fee was different depending on the coin's grade... interesting... >>

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Please do convert. Less Mercanti sets than. PCGS won't be offering this indefinitely.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lesson for newbies, when listing coins on ebay make sure the listing is right, I omitted the one word 2011. This one word cost me and was just another lesson in selling. Yes I took a chance and listed a set of two 70's 1 reverse proof and three 69's all numbers in a row. These were all red flag F S. Disappointing bids and final prices of 1075.51. Now I know I screwed up in my listing, and didn't sell because of weak hands but more because I wanted to eat this next month. Only Bought 3 sets (funds in my account) and instead of selling boxes decided to drink the koolaid. Now did I really lose money? After fees from ebay and shipping I sold 5 coins for alittle over 900. That paid for all three sets that I bought. Plus I have an almost 70 set (1 coin short)and 69 set left (1 coin short) Grading cost at 505 means I have about 250 into each set, is that just terrible? For some reason I have been walking around the house beating myself up even tho I came out ahead. How much does one have to make to consider a victory? Just thought I would share, and I did learn from my first sale of slabs. (Boxes were so easy with the pucks) Enjoy tom image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options

<< <i>Lesson for newbies, when listing coins on ebay make sure the listing is right, I omitted the one word 2011. This one word cost me and was just another lesson in selling. Yes I took a chance and listed a set of two 70's 1 reverse proof and three 69's all numbers in a row. These were all red flag F S. Disappointing bids and final prices of 1075.51. Now I know I screwed up in my listing, and didn't sell because of weak hands but more because I wanted to eat this next month. Only Bought 3 sets (funds in my account) and instead of selling boxes decided to drink the koolaid. Now did I really lose money? After fees from ebay and shipping I sold 5 coins for alittle over 900. That paid for all three sets that I bought. Plus I have an almost 70 set (1 coin short)and 69 set left (1 coin short) Grading cost at 505 means I have about 250 into each set, is that just terrible? For some reason I have been walking around the house beating myself up even tho I came out ahead. How much does one have to make to consider a victory? Just thought I would share, and I did learn from my first sale of slabs. (Boxes were so easy with the pucks) Enjoy tom image >>

I tried t tell you I couldn't find them. I was searching using 2011 25th Anniversary Set PCGS and then looking for the picture. As I posted, I couldn't find them.
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Anyone notice an upward trend in the Flag Label 70 sets? One sold yesterday for $2225!

-Paul
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I for one have lost complete interest in these. Seems most of the interest/discussion is about labels and not about coins.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>Anyone notice an upward trend in the Flag Label 70 sets? One sold yesterday for $2225! >>

It all boils down to being the first on the market. Very few flag sets have been sold and a LOT of collectors will want them to ensure their sets look the same. Prices for the flag label sets will come down over the coming weeks as more come to the market and as word spreads that you can have the awful looking tombstone slabs reholdered for $150.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

So, do I understand this correctly. If they are 69's, it will cost $50. But if they are 70's, it wil cost $150? >>

Yes, that's right, plus the $8 handling fee and shipping. >>

Hey BibG, you didn't happen to asked them why the difference in price did you?
  • Options
    EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭
    69's they use a hammer, 70's they use a gloves and a shears image
  • Options

<< <i>Please do convert. Less Mercanti sets than. PCGS won't be offering this indefinitely. >>

I wouldn't convert the signature slabs but I might the black Tombstone slabs.

On a side note, I wonder when PCGS will catch up with their backlog???
  • Options

<< <i>Hey BibG, you didn't happen to asked them why the difference in price did you? >>

I'm not speaking for BibG, but the answer is clear IMO. They simply know their customers image. They know many people will pay $30/coin to have the tombstone slabs reholdered, and they also know that very few would pay that much to "upgrade" 69's hence their lower price. The fact they charge more based on grade is laughable on some level, but it makes perfect business sense for them to do so image.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yes, that's right, plus the $8 handling fee and shipping. >>

Hey BibG, you didn't happen to asked them why the difference in price did you? >>

No, but it also applies to all high-value coins. The risk factor.
  • Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been collecting for around 40 years, but I never considered sending any coins in for grading until all the excitement over the 25th Anniversary ASEs, so please forgive my ignorance in asking this question. I'm just trying to understand and don't want to make an expensive mistake. Since all coins in the 25th Anniversary Set were struck at the same time, and since all sets submitted to PCGS in a mint sealed box are eligible for First Strike designationin addition to the 25th Anniversary Set designation, what is the value in paying $90/set for First Strike? Is it really just to have all the labels in a collection (after PCGS started using First Strike) look the same? Will collectors really pay a premium for this in a set like this where all submitted sets are eligible by definition? I ask because while it seems ridiculous to me to pay $450 to have a label placed on 5 sets that any set that is submitted intact is eligible for, I am afraid of cheaping out and having it cost me more than the $450 if I sell later. Please help!!!!
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Called Apmex today and they are buying @ $1250 for pcgs 70s and $850 for 69s. No premium for any type of label.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Called Apmex today and they are buying @ $1250 for pcgs 70s and $850 for 69s. No premium for any type of label. >>

That $1250 ... is to low, but the $850 appears to be on the high end. Do they know something that we don't?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>Called Apmex today and they are buying @ $1250 for pcgs 70s and $850 for 69s. No premium for any type of label. >>

Heck they could buy all they want of the 69 sets on eBay right now for $800 - $850. Honestly those of you sitting on extra 69 sets should call Apmex immediately and sell at that price. Once the zillions of flippers who used NGC get their sets you're going to see prices dive even further on 69 sets so I would sell today if I needed to.

$1250 seems like a reasonable offer for the 70 sets considering several Mercanti sets have closed from $1615 - $1650 over the last day or so.
  • Options
    Heck, some of the ones I have been watching are still north of $1700, some way north. These are PCGS sets though, not from across the street.
  • Options

<< <i>

That $1250 ... is to low, but the $850 appears to be on the high end. Do they know something that we don't? >>

$1250 is way low but they are in the business to make money. $850 isn't on the high end either. A quick search of completed auctions had them from $850 to $1,000 for PCGS 69 sets and $1700 to over $1800 for PCGS 70 sets.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file