Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• Options
    I'm doiing a chargeback with my credit card for the 2011 ANniversary sets I received. The Mint sent me the wrong stuff and they won't budge, they claim there is no way they screwed up. Instead of sending me $1500 worth of eagles they sent me $4000 worth of eagles. LOL I don't mean this literally, I just mean how easy this was a quick $2500 profit.

Wouldn't that be hilarious if someone did a chargeback claiming that they were suppose to get $1500 worth of product instead of $4000 just to be funny. What would even be funnier is if VISA sided with the customer and refunded the $1500 and they still got to keep the eagles.
  • Options
    Is the reverse rotation any big deal?

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is the reverse rotation any big deal?

>>

I don't think so.
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    The general rule with rotated dies is it needs to be at least one "clock position" rotated to even mention.
    The ones with the biggest premiums are the 90 degree and the 180 degree rotations. Haven't heard of
    anything like that on any of the silver eagles in the sets.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John Maben -- a question: what do you think about the ultra-burnished finish on the bullion coin in the set? There seems to be wide-spread consensus that they differ from the std bullion strike, and a marker has been identified. However, the coin industry has remained silent on the possibility -- neither supporting nor rejecting.

Photos, etc in this Thread

Thanks in advance.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the bullion coin from the 25th Anniv. sets...

Miles Standish is one PCGS' very top graders and its foremost authority on American Silver Eagles.

Miles believes that from a striking standpoint, there is NO difference between the bullion coin from the 25th Anniv sets and the 2011 bullion silver eagles already produced by the US Mint by the millions.

That said ... these 25th Anniv. bullion coins are a short production run of ultra fresh and crisp coins carefully handled like no other bullion silver eagles have ever been handled in the history of the silver eagle program (and of course, for purposes of this comment, this does not include the special w silver eagle coins sold by the mint in capsules, which are not consider pure "bullion" by many).

Hope this helps.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm doiing a chargeback with my credit card for the 2011 ANniversary sets I received. The Mint sent me the wrong stuff and they won't budge, they claim there is no way they screwed up. Instead of sending me $1500 worth of eagles they sent me $4000 worth of eagles. LOL I don't mean this literally, I just mean how easy this was a quick $2500 profit.. >>

Yup, about the same profit as 3 years ago on the UHR. So what will it be in 2014?
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Regarding the bullion coin from the 25th Anniv. sets...
    Miles Standish is one PCGS' very top graders and its foremost authority on American Silver Eagles.
    Miles believes that from a striking standpoint, there is NO difference between the bullion coin from the 25th Anniv sets and the 2011 bullion silver eagles already produced by the US Mint by the millions. >>

Thanks WC - even if the strike were the same, how does Mr. Standish account for the "burnished" look? (The std bullion actually has better detail in the strike, so die quality doesn't seem to be the issue.) Is there a way to ID whether or not the blank was burnished pre-strike vs not?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    The question for me isn't with the process, etc. What matters is whether the coins from this 100k set can be reliably distinguished from their 30+million counterparts.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    In the meantime try to buy one for under $100.

Some collectors are going to take a bath if it is decided they can not be distinguished from the regular bullion.

Not me, I'm not paying those kind of prices.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you noticed how nicely the PCGS slabbed set fits in the blue mint OGP box? Almost as if it was designed to accommodate them from the beginning. Makes for a nice display either way, slabbed or not. Does an NGC graded set also fit this way?

• Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>John Maben -- a question: what do you think about the ultra-burnished finish on the bullion coin in the set? There seems to be wide-spread consensus that they differ from the std bullion strike, and a marker has been identified. However, the coin industry has remained silent on the possibility -- neither supporting nor rejecting.

Thanks in advance. >>

There is no denying the difference in appearance however I believe the mint has made no statements or offered no information that would indicate the set coin is in any way different from the regular bullion coin and that is what would be needed IMO before either grading service would consider calling them anything other than what they are represented to be, the bullion coin.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone here go by NCCOINS on eBay?

Who ever it is, he just listed 10 MS70/PR70 Signature sets for $1750 BIN. He has been selling bunches of sets all week. >>

Yup, That's me.

I sold 4 at the Buy it Now prices of 1750-1830. (I put them up on the BST as well (for cheaper (eBay (+PayPal) discount).

I'm obviously not trying to flood the market, but I'm in a position that i need to turnover what i have pretty quickly.
    (I have some that are currently in auction, and some that i will probably list tonight.)

- Aron
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>John Maben -- a question: what do you think about the ultra-burnished finish on the bullion coin in the set? There seems to be wide-spread consensus that they differ from the std bullion strike, and a marker has been identified. However, the coin industry has remained silent on the possibility -- neither supporting nor rejecting.

Thanks in advance. >>

There is no denying the difference in appearance however I believe the mint has made no statements or offered no information that would indicate the set coin is in any way different from the regular bullion coin and that is what would be needed IMO before either grading service would consider calling them anything other than what they are represented to be, the bullion coin.

John >>

Did the Mint make any statements about the Grand Canyon "light finish" before the TPGs started attributing a variety to those?
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Someone thinks the bullion one is worth a premium Bullion PCGS 1st strike 70
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thanks in advance. >>

John >>

Did the Mint make any statements about the Grand Canyon "light finish" before the TPGs started attributing a variety to those? >>

Nope NGC discovered them I believe.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    The burnish finish argument is getting legs?

Thank you pcgs + US mint for not saying anything about this, Let it die.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thanks in advance. >>

John >>

Did the Mint make any statements about the Grand Canyon "light finish" before the TPGs started attributing a variety to those? >>

Nope NGC discovered them I believe. >>

Sort of. It was actually the friend of a CU forum member that had the first, I believe.

I did a little digging this evening.

In mid July 2011, folks began to discover that some of the Grand Canyon ATB-Ps had a lighter finish. According to the below thread, John Maben alerted NGC to the discussion going on here at the CU forums. On July 20 NGC released a press release announcing the new variety. It wasn't until July 27 that the Mint made a statement on the issue, basically agreeing that some different finishes appeared to have escaped.

The ATB thread here.

The TPGs clearly have attributed varieties without hearing from the Mint before, and as little as six months ago!
  • Options
    New Low? 70 Mercanti set ending at under $1600?
    http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&rt=nc&item=220906090806
    5 minutes left...
    wow! these are falling quick!
  • Options
    squeeked over $1600 - Mercanti 70 closed on the Bay for $1610!.
    Looks like the seller has 5-6 more closing in the next couple hours...
    hmm... Can anyone say 14 handle?
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    This is a terrible time to be selling. I'm personally holding out on all my sets to see what the prices do. I'm hoping they rebound within a month so i can sell some at FUN!

-Paul
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thanks in advance. >>

John >>

Not that I am aware of but there might have been behind the scenes communications with them between their people and coin people that have an inside contact and I think it was determined that yes the finishes did vary as a result of subtle changes in the equipment and/or process and this was obvious..... now you may say it's obvious with the bullion silver eagle as well but this is a higher profile dare I say much more important item and what little the mint has put forth only indicates that the coin in the set is the "bullion" coin. To me it resembles the "W" coin without the mint mark but I lay odds at about 100 to 1 that the bullion coin from the set will ever carry any other descriptive that differenciates it from the regular bullion coin other than the word "set" on the label.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    Thanks for the insight, John.
  • Options

<< <i>This is a terrible time to be selling. I'm personally holding out on all my sets to see what the prices do. I'm hoping they rebound within a month so i can sell some at FUN!

-Paul >>

I guess when you're a "forced seller" you don't have many options.
    Not everyone can hold out and wait for prices to come to them.

- Aron
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>squeeked over $1600 - Mercanti 70 closed on the Bay for $1610!.
    Looks like the seller has 5-6 more closing in the next couple hours...
    hmm... Can anyone say 14 handle? >>

Yep...it's the ones who went big to get their friends/family to buy dozens/hundreds of the sets. They want/need the money and any profit is better for them. They will flood to their hearts content until their supply runs out. Just look a few posts above yours. "Not trying to flood the market" but "in a position that & need to turnover pretty quickly".

If you have inventory, and you need to turn it quickly, you shoot low and flood because others are selling to.

This is the typical "weak hands" and "needing to pay the bills off" that so many people have commented on about these.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    John Maben got $2,071 on ebay for his Mercanti set just a day or so ago in an open bid auction. Then, the "machine gun" style Mercanti sales on ebay today. What can you say. I hope it works out for all concerned.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    and that i'll never understand...
    the first set - $1610, then a little bit later - same seller - same exact item - $1700
    wonder how the next 5 will go.
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I guess when you're a "forced seller" you don't have many options.
    Not everyone can hold out and wait for prices to come to them.

- Aron >>

I can't imagine all these Low Budget losers buying these up. Remember the original ship date on the release date was a month away. That would not bode well for paying off the old CC immediately. Do some people need to sell to pay off their CC? Sure, but not the multitudes some on here are suggesting. I don't think there are that many "weak hands". I think folks are locking in their profit because they don't see much of a run up from current levels. Conversely there's not much of a downside risk. So why hold if the ASE isn't what you collect?
  • Options

<< <i>John Maben got $2,071 on ebay for his Mercanti set just a day or so ago in an open bid auction. Then, the "machine gun" style Mercanti sales on ebay today. What can you say.

Wondercoin >>

Mitch,

I think you know where i stand on these sets.
    And neither of us would have been able to get anywhere close to the $2k range that John got.

Thanks again for your assistance with these.

- Aron
  • Options
    Aron: You cut and pasted too fast and missed the part about wishing it all works out.

Listen ... selling 4 or 5 sets in a single day ... I can understand that. Only time will tell if selling 9 or 10 or more in a day was the "right" strategy. And, I mentioned John's recent sale because I truly thought the sets were heading back in that direction. I have personally held off placing any Mercanti 70 sets on ebay this week. I may test the waters again next week with a few offerings. My goal ... get a sale or two even higher than the $2,071 John got yesterday!

Wondercoin image
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I bought a Mercanti Set at $2150. I have no regrets. We shall see in a few years if that was a right decision. Definitely a buyer's market now but it won't last forever. Besides the original mint offering gift to collectors, now is a second gift to ASE collectors to buy a 70 set at a good price. FYI, I am not having any of my sealed sets graded yet. No rush to get rid of these.
  • Options

<< <i>Aron: You cut and pasted too fast and missed the part about wishing it all works out.

Listen ... selling 4 or 5 sets in a single day ... I can understand that. Only time will tell if selling 9 or 10 or more in a day was the "right" strategy. And, I mentioned John's recent sale because I truly thought the sets were heading back in that direction. I have personally held off placing any Mercanti 70 sets on ebay this week. I may test the waters again next week with a few offerings. My goal ... get a sale or two even higher than the $2,071 John got yesterday!

Wondercoin image >>

No cut & paste necessary - you just click quote instead of reply ;-)

I hear you though.

I guess i figured that 9-10 on weekend is better than 4-5 on weekday.

- Aron
  • Options

<< <i>and that i'll never understand...
    the first set - $1610, then a little bit later - same seller - same exact item - $1700
    wonder how the next 5 will go. >>

and there's the first 15 handle... $1591.99

Aron, I wonder what your last 4 will go for. G'luck man!
  • Options

<< <i>

Aron, I wonder what your last 4 will go for. G'luck man! >>

Thanks! Looks like i'll need it ;-)

- Aron
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    $1,600
    Interesting results! Is this the breakdown?:
    $600 each for the S and RP?
    $133 for the remaining 3?
  • Options
    Aron,

Can you check your PM.

Thanks
  • Options

<< <i>Aron,

Can you check your PM.

Thanks >>

replied. weird stuff.
    thanks for notifying me.

- Aron
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, some of these prices on the "special" labels and First Strike coins are pretty crazy low... and those numbers are before eBay, PayPal and shipping fees.

For reference, I'm probably the only one who's been selling these coins in PCGS holders w/o special labels and w/o First Strike. In many cases, I've been selling my coins above the going rate for the FS and Mercanti examples. I've found that several buyers actually prefer the standard labelling. Seriously, how many collectors even heard of Mercanti before they started with these labels???? I'm sure some have and actually do want them, but I can't imagine that the average silver eagle collector wants to pay a premium for that label.

• Options

Maybe........... We'll see,...... how this goes,, these exact items will sell for quite a bit less as time goes, and something new comes about,,. how many of the so called thousands of ASE collectors are going to pay these over esculated prices,, I think,,,, not many..... There might be many collectors of the ASE's,, But,, How many of them are willing to pay these kind of prices,,, Spec's, as usual, are driving the prices right now,,, many of you that have been here before know exactly what I'm talking about... Most wannabe ASE collectors are hard pressed to pay $30 something for a regular bullion silver eagle,, let alone a $100. for a Regular proof ... Now,, Lets talk about Over a Thousand Dollars for just one of the 25th. coins. .image Really,, Quite laughable.... Reminds me of snake oil Salesman of yesteryears...image.... How many pre 1940 coins in mint state with a survival mintage of a lot less than 100,000 can you buy for a lot less than you'd pay for just one of the 25th. Annv. coins...???????..... image.. Come on,,,, Lets Get real... Who Are You really Trying to kid here??????????.......
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

- Aron >>

Even with purchase price + grading costs + auction fees, etc. you're what, still doubling your investment or better . . . Not to shabby, IMO ! ! !

Best of luck,

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

- Aron >>

Even with purchase price + grading costs + auction fees, etc. you're what, still doubling your investment or better . . . Not to shabby, IMO ! ! !

Best of luck,

HH >>

Thanks!

It wasn't so bad... with one set left -
    Currently at $1657 with 10 minutes left... my average is close to $1700.

- Aron
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    When all is said and done with my 5 sets, I will have recouped my initial investment for the coins and grading,
    wind up with set in 70 for "free" and have over $1000 cash in my pocket. I am more than content with
    the way things worked out for me. Oh, and I'll have one skanky -S mint in MS67 that will just go into the pile.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh, and I'll have one skanky -S mint in MS67 that will just go into the pile. >>

Sounds like a perfect giveaway item image
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Oh, and I'll have one skanky -S mint in MS67 that will just go into the pile. >>

Sounds like a perfect giveaway item image >>

In your dreams!
  • Options
    I see WC sold a BO Mercanti 70 set last nite, sold it @ $2525, well done, sir, image

Text

There's still hope for the Mercanti sets.
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

I'll just never understand these sets and the buyers for them. I've seen it time and again where people pay far above the going rate. Even happened to me. A few weeks ago I listed a single set in a sealed box for nearly $1000 which, at the time, was several hundred dollars over what they were selling for & someone actually bought for the listed price - didn't even try to make an offer - just clicked on the high BIN price. At the time there were hundreds of sets listed for far less. Really strange, but good strange, I guess. So congrats, Wondercoin, for bucking the tide. image

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    5,000!!!imageimageimage

Leave a Comment