Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Question for those that have gotten back their graded coins- I just received notice from PCGS that my mint pkg are shipping back- how long until the coins are graded? The coins were logged in the 22nd. >>

My set of five was logged in on 11/15/11 and were shipped out on 11/28/11. It may be a little slower than since they have been inundated by a boatload of orders. I was one of the first orders, placed at 12:03pm EST. Hopefully this helps.
    Green neophyte
  • Options

<< <i>FS deadline is Dec. 7 for PCGS >>

It has to be postmarked by 12/7/11, to distinguish from actual receipt at PCGS, though if you have a sealed box, you can submit anytime you want if you leave the set(s) in the sealed Mint box.
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for bringing this thread back. It's been a lot of fun to follow...it would have been a shame to waste it because of one or two rotten apples that can easily be removed!

Thanks!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>FS deadline is Dec. 7 for PCGS >>

It has to be postmarked by 12/7/11, to distinguish from actual receipt at PCGS, though if you have a sealed box, you can submit anytime you want if you leave the set(s) in the sealed Mint box. >>

I'm not a huge submitter (except for my membership freebies, quarterly specials, and some varieties). So, I want/need to get the above statement straight.......as long as the SEALED mint box is postmarked by Dec 7th (not actually received by the 7th), the sets are still eligible for 'First Strike' designation (thats how I comprehend it).....which leads me to this next question....

Sealed sets postmarked AFTER Dec 7th, while not eligible for the FS designation, they are STILL eligible for '25th Anniv Set' designation on the plain, blue cert label, correct???
    Confirming of this would be greatly appreciated, as time is NOT on my side (my sets are 1,500 miles north of me, and I won't be physically with them until Sunday, the 4th, able to ship the 5th).

For those that still don't have their sets, and aren't huge submitters, I believe members that DO know the answers to these questions, would be helping big time for those that plan (or had planned) to submit their sets as a whole. I have to imagine those that haven't had their set(s) shipped yet would need these questions answered before Monday/Tuesday......it means the difference between 'next day' shipping, and cheaper options. Seems those that had their orders placed after 6pm, this info would be very helpful.

Also looks like the Mint's statement to Mr. Willis, that these would all be shipped by Turkey Day, was a crock.

Thanks for the help!
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    You are correct re: the labeling.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Also looks like the Mint's statement to Mr. Willis, that these would all be shipped by Turkey Day, was a crock. >>

I think PCGS's contact at the Mint, is questionable to say the least.
    The NM ASE's is another potential boondogle with conflicting info from the Mint's spokespeople.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Received my coins back from PCGS yesterday. Just wanted to thank our host for a first class transaction. Packaging was much more "professional" than that of the mint.
    "The more you complain, the longer God lets you live".
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

Looking more and more like the early sellers of ungraded sets, both open and sealed, are the big winners.

Yowzaa!

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options

<< <i>Looking more and more like the early sellers of ungraded sets, both open and sealed, are the big winners.

Yowzaa! >>

Yikes, after grading fees etc looks like a net of around $200...image
  • Options

<< <i>Looking more and more like the early sellers of ungraded sets, both open and sealed, are the big winners.

Yowzaa! >>

Looks like an attack of Kool-Aid poisoning.
  • Options

ATB deja-vu anybody?

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ATB deja-vu anybody?

image >>

Nope, these are never going to end up like those. The collector base for this series is huge, and my bet is that only a quarter to a third of them even know this set exists. Just wait until the early flippers run out and the mob shows up. image

-Paul
  • Options

I really hope you're right, coinkid. I've got 5 sets sitting over at PCGS right now. I must admit I'm a little surprised at how swift the descent has been for these. But $800? For a PCGS graded set? You'd think the dealers would snap them up at that price.

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options

<< <i>I really hope you're right, coinkid. I've got 5 sets sitting over at PCGS right now. I must admit I'm a little surprised at how swift the descent has been for these. But $800? For a PCGS graded set? You'd think the dealers would snap them up at that price. >>

The dealers/flippers are the ones dumping them...Purely business when you have so many sets. Their role is to sell coins, then sell more coins. They have no reason to speculate and it's simply selling into the investment. I do expect they will go back up as these are certainly not atb's...Those did well for a long time because the supply was dribbled out over 8 months and they were a first of the first offering.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Yowzaa! >>

Yikes, after grading fees etc looks like a net of around $200...image >>

$200 is better than breaking even or less. To think we are at the tip of the iceberg with these and there is many more coming down the pike as PCGS keeps working through the huge stack they have. This may be a sign as generally the first to hit the market get the best prices though the dump of the Black/Signature 70 sets may have caused it to rain on the parade.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yowzaa! >>

Yikes, after grading fees etc looks like a net of around $200...image >>

$200 is better than breaking even or less. To think we are at the tip of the iceberg with these and there is many more coming down the pike as PCGS keeps working through the huge stack they have. This may be a sign as generally the first to hit the market get the best prices though the dump of the Black/Signature 70 sets may have caused it to rain on the parade. >>

That is why I wouldn't do an auction, only BIN. In an auction, you have to wait it out and as more & more listings come out, you are stuck with the low bidders. At least with a BIN, you can determine the minimum you are willing to take & adjust the price if you think the trend is lower.
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I went ahead and listed one of my sequential numbers sets and we will now see if it was just another crazy idea or not. Been watching for over a week and have not seen one listed as such and thought what the heck. Buy the label not the coin. Its a mismatched set but does include the reverse proof 70 and I feel there just will not be many of these sets not only because most sets being graded are not getting done by sets, more by item. and many more are getting broken up. Will be fun to see what happens and good luck to all who venture into the twilight zone(ebay) this weekend...........Enjoy image For some reason picture on ebay looks horrible but taken from this? image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    That's a bold move, Tommy - good luck. Now that I think about it, that would be pretty cool to have a sequentially numbered set. Wonder if I can change my order over the phone to PCGS?

edited for sp.

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options

<< <i>Well I went ahead and listed one of my sequential numbers sets and we will now see if it was just another crazy idea or not. Been watching for over a week and have not seen one listed as such and thought what the heck. Buy the label not the coin. Its a mismatched set but does include the reverse proof 70 and I feel there just will not be many of these sets not only because most sets being graded are not getting done by sets, more by item. and many more are getting broken up. Will be fun to see what happens and good luck to all who venture into the twilight zone(ebay) this weekend...........Enjoy image For some reason picture on ebay looks horrible but taken from this? >>

Seems like a good idea, best of luck oh brave one!

Edit...

Could you imagine what a sequentially numbered 70 set would bring in a couple years?
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    As far as I am aware, you can have any set reholdered with sequential numbering......no big draw for the informed.
  • Options
    I'm still waiting for my sequential numbered (all 69's) to be delivered. Your set will be a good test.
  • Options

<< <i>As far as I am aware, you can have any set reholdered with sequential numbering......no big draw for the informed. >>

For $10 a coin...might be worth a shot...but are you sure about the sequential number since your coin already has an assigned number? All the reholdering that I've ever done, received the same coin # that was on the previous slab.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>As far as I am aware, you can have any set reholdered with sequential numbering......no big draw for the informed. >>

For $10 a coin...might be worth a shot...but are you sure about the sequential number since your coin already has an assigned number? All the reholdering that I've ever done, received the same coin # that was on the previous slab. >>

The big money would be to have them regraded Secure Plus. Everything I've had regraded Secure Plus came back with new numbers... I've seen no silver eagle sets graded Secure Plus yet... image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Well I went ahead and listed one of my sequential numbers sets and we will now see if it was just another crazy idea or not. Been watching for over a week and have not seen one listed as such and thought what the heck. Buy the label not the coin. Its a mismatched set but does include the reverse proof 70 and I feel there just will not be many of these sets not only because most sets being graded are not getting done by sets, more by item. and many more are getting broken up. Will be fun to see what happens and good luck to all who venture into the twilight zone(ebay) this weekend...........Enjoy image For some reason picture on ebay looks horrible but taken from this? >>

Seems like a good idea, best of luck oh brave one!

Edit...

Could you imagine what a sequentially numbered 70 set would bring in a couple years? >>

Moon money!! I don't see more than I have fingers (all ten, of course) and that would be pushing it. image
    Green neophyte
  • Options

<< <i> For some reason picture on ebay looks horrible but taken from this? >>

For some reason, I can find your listing (looking for the picture).
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

No big draw for me. but then again, buyers pay strange money for labels.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MSG from Mint.......My set shipped today!!! Yeah set, if I only knew it would have been five.
  • Options
    I can't believe we're still talking about 25th ASE sets when there are hot Lucretia Garfield coins to buy.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't believe we're still talking about 25th ASE sets when there are hot Lucretia Garfield coins to buy. >>

Is the coin hot or is Lucretia Garfield hot? image
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    A friend just shared his PCGS results with me after sending in 3 sealed boxes of 5 sets.

RESULT: 68 out of 75 coins are 70's

Giant WOW !

Are the grading standards for the "s" and "no mint mark" lower than the standards for the other coins in the set?

Making me think twice about sending in my unopened boxes that are taking up space here.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I can't believe we're still talking about 25th ASE sets when there are hot Lucretia Garfield coins to buy. >>

Is the coin hot or is Lucretia Garfield hot? image >>

That is the question.... image

68/75 is amazing...you friend struck gold!

Long term....yes, graded sets are probably the way to go.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>A friend just shared his PCGS results with me after sending in 3 sealed boxes of 5 sets.

RESULT: 68 out of 75 coins are 70's

Giant WOW !

Are the grading standards for the "s" and "no mint mark" lower than the standards for the other coins in the set?

Making me think twice about sending in my unopened boxes that are taking up space here. >>

Only 91% graded 70. I thought I was doing well with a meager 44%. Did your friend pay for First Strikes? If so, cha-ching!!
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    WDHWDH Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    Order 38385226 @ 5:39 EST, just delivered image Good luck to the others who ordered and have not yet received.
  • Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the mint is treating the later boxes better...no more loose capsules
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>

No big draw for me. but then again, buyers pay strange money for labels. >>

But couldn't someone who is very knowledgeable lookup the new sequence numbers to find out if they got reholdered? I am not sure if that is part of the coin fax (I know, a word play on "Show me the car fax") that is available. If not, that would remove the draw of sequential numbering unless the seller can provide their submission number and it clearly showed that it was only handled once. It becomes all too confusing. I wouldn't bring my checkbook to that auction. image
    Green neophyte
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe the mint is treating the later boxes better...no more loose capsules >>

Wishful thinking! image I think your friend was the benefactor of a Halley's Comet event. image
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    Ok interesting coin here. I had a 2011-W come back as MS68. Curious as to why I started looking at it and there appears to be an obverse strike through of some kind in one of the rays.

Closeups:

Anyone have any thoughts?
    GMan
  • Options
    Does anyone here go by NCCOINS on eBay?

Who ever it is, he just listed 10 MS70/PR70 Signature sets for $1750 BIN. He has been selling bunches of sets all week.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

The two current $5 gold commemoratives are gonna get pretty hot after mint stops selling them.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok interesting coin here. I had a 2011-W come back as MS68. Curious as to why I started looking at it and there appears to be an obverse strike through of some kind in one of the rays. >>

The mark you've highlighted looks like it's on the holder?
  • Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    It's not on the holder. Definitely on the coin.

Edit: It almost looks like a little scrap of the label paper but I can't tell for sure and I can't see anything else that made this a 68.
    GMan
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone here go by NCCOINS on eBay?

Who ever it is, he just listed 10 MS70/PR70 Signature sets for $1750 BIN. He has been selling bunches of sets all week. >>

How low will these go?
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭
    To get sequential serial numbers, all you have to do is request it on the submission form. No extra fees, no hoops to jump thru. Easy as pie. Did it with my 150 coin set when I submitted it for perigree.
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options

<< <i>

The two current $5 gold commemoratives are gonna get pretty hot after mint stops selling them. >>

You wouldn't be talking about the A and MOH would you?
  • Options

<< <i>The two current $5 gold commemoratives are gonna get pretty hot after mint stops selling them. >>

I bought four MS ogp MOH coins two nights ago when they went to back-ordered. As it stands now that coin is going to be just a couple hundred over the awful looking visitor center $5 gold (that's already worth $1500+). It may take a while for the coin to take off, but it's arguably the nicest $5 commen in the series and given the fact it applicable to every branch of the military will mean it's sought out by a larger group of people. The Army coin may even end with a slightly lower mintage, but there are still two weeks left and I bet the numbers on that coin surge the last week (especially now that the MS MOH coin is gone). Even if the Army coin ends lower I think collectors will favor the MOH coin over time simply due to the fact it's so appealing to the eye. The proofs on both of the coins look poised to displace the Smithsonian as the new 'key', but no one pays a premium for the Smithsonian as it is so I doubt the proofs will be that much hotter. Only time will tell...

• Options
    I was wondering about the PR MOH. I know the mintage is twice as many as the MOH but it sure is pretty and screams, "Metal of Honor." The A coin is lower in the MS but it doesn't have the eye appeal as the MOH and i agree, i think there may be a surge in purchasing it.
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    What are the current mintages on those Commems? I can only seem to fine outdated ones...

-Paul
  • Options

<< <i>What are the current mintages on those Commems? I can only seem to fine outdated ones... >>

Bookmark coinupdate.com. They post the mint sales reports weekly, and have other updates worth viewing as well. Most recent stats:

http://news.coinupdate.com/us-mint-sales-commemorative-coins-in-focus-1081/http://news.coinupdate.com/us-mint-sales-commemorative-coins-in-focus-1081/
  • Options
    Interesting numbers on the 9/11 silver. Guess the mintage limit of 2 million scared a lot of people away - that and nearly 2x silver value.
    "If we are facing in the right direction, all we need to do is keep on walking." - David Brent
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys- careful about getting OT -- even though I have a few MOHs too and very interested in the final mintage...

I got an email from PCGS today that my grades were in -- only arrived a few days ago. ???

Turns out, it's just my OGP being sent back. Crap.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file