Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• Options
    Hi, Just got instock on my back order of 38391XX.What a great day.Laters
  • Options

<< <i>Hi, Just got instock on my back order of 38391XX.What a great day.Laters >>

Congrats!! Great to hear that they are finally moving again.
  • Options
    Be nice if they shipped today since it is first srike cute off today.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << The 2011-S mint $1 is the US first Dollar coin with an "S" mintmark on it since the 1935-S Peace Dollar (in an long, ongoing dollar coin series so I am excluding dollar Commems with this comment). >>

1986-S to 1992-S proof silver eagles?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    overdate ... we are talking business strikes here man!

Wondercoin

P.S. Thanks for keeping me on my toes!
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weren't there millions of 1979s and 1980s Susan B. Anthony dollars released into circulation?
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Be nice if they shipped today since it is first srike cute off today. >>

What about sealed boxed ?

• Options
    I understand much of what is being said about this set as far as future value, rarity, collectability, etc. Just my opinion but I don't think weve heard the last of the burnish argument and I 'm guessing that our host may evaluate and reconsider the holdering of the San Franciso issue. Either way, I have a sealed box of five and I'm feeling very good about sitting on this for a bit.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Be nice if they shipped today since it is first srike cute off today. >>

What about sealed boxed ? >>

They are FS eligible anytime as long as they remain sealed, were mailed by the Mint prior to the cutoff and PCGS offers FS designation.
  • Options

FS designation expired on Dec 7th. 25th Anniversary set designation is good as long as the mint box is sealed. I do believe you can send them in years from now and get the 25th Anniversary Set marking.
    The exception is the Reverse Proof and the San Francisco - Mint - S, can be sent in seperately and still receive the 25th Designation.
    First time on this board, I've learned alot from all of the Intellects that are here !
  • Options

<< <i>FS designation expired on Dec 7th. 25th Anniversary set designation is good as long as the mint box is sealed. I do believe you can send them in years from now and get the 25th Anniversary Set marking.
    The exception is the Reverse Proof and the San Francisco - Mint - S, can be sent in seperately and still receive the 25th Designation.
    First time on this board, I've learned alot from all of the Intellects that are here ! >>

Nope, see my post above. The FS expired on open boxes and this only applies to the S and Rev. PR coin.
  • Options
    SpeedieSpeedie Posts: 104 ✭✭

<< <i>Just my 2 cents:

The 2011-S mint $1 is the US first Dollar coin with an "S" mintmark on it since the 1935-S Peace Dollar (in an long, ongoing dollar coin series so I am excluding dollar Commems with this comment). This coin has a great future ahead of it in my view.

The 2011-P Reverse Proof Dollar is a 100,000 mintage Silver Eagle Type coin! Need I say more. This coin also has a great future ahead of it in my view.

Let's talk again aeound this same time next year and see if these (2) coins are still around $200-$250/coin.

Wondercoin >>

Agree entirely with this. The dumping right now is pretty astounding, and looking ahead I think there will be a lot of seller's remorse around.

In the past couple of days several 2006 Anniversary sets, PCGS 70, have sold on Ebay for $2,400+ with a mintage of 250K and 3 coins in the set.

This morning I saw a 2011 Anniversary set, PCGS 70, sold for $1,300 BIN. Mintage of 100K and 5 coins.

Either the mature, 5 year old market for the 2006 sets is wrong to the upside, or the temporarily saturated market for the 2 month old 2011 sets is wrong to the downside. I know which of those bets I'd take. If I wasn't already sitting on 19 sealed sets I'd be taking in all the 70 sets that I could afford in the $1,400 area.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I saw that but wasn't sure if it was really worth the premium. It is not like a Mint error.
  • Options
    How would this hold up with the PCGS guarantee?
  • Options

<< <i>Agree entirely with this. The dumping right now is pretty astounding, and looking ahead I think there will be a lot of seller's remorse around.
    In the past couple of days several 2006 Anniversary sets, PCGS 70, have sold on Ebay for $2,400+ with a mintage of 250K and 3 coins in the set.
    This morning I saw a 2011 Anniversary set, PCGS 70, sold for $1,300 BIN. Mintage of 100K and 5 coins. Either the mature, 5 year old market for the 2006 sets is wrong to the upside, or the temporarily saturated market for the 2 month old 2011 sets is wrong to the downside. I know which of those bets I'd take. If I wasn't already sitting on 19 sealed sets I'd be taking in all the 70 sets that I could afford in the $1,400 area. >>

30th sets are essentially in the bag IMO as it would be hard to imagine that they don't make them. Just wait until more 25th sets are off the market permanently and watch what happens to the 25th sets in five years when the 30th's come out image. Admittedly I think it's clear the market for 20th sets is a bit over-heated and IMO people sitting on PCGS 70 sets should sell NOW as prices will fall soon as interest wanes. The fact you can turn your pcgs 70 20th set into one pcgs70 25th set plus a pcgs69 25th set right now is astonishing. That's certainly not going to last very long if you ask me and if I had any pcgs 70 20th sets they would be on eBay TODAY image.

Over the last 7 days I've watched the Mercanti sets drop in price by $100 a set every other day. I wonder how much longer can this go on? They're now available for $13XX in the BST. Speculators with deep pockets are going to make a *killing* if they can afford to float large amounts of money for a year or more. Although I think prices on raw, ngc slabbed, and sealed boxes will continue to soften for a bit longer one has to wonder how much lower can pcgs 70 sets drop before sellers simply refuse to list them? If prices continue to decline I already know what every penny I'll be spending at FUN will be on image.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How would this hold up with the PCGS guarantee? >>

Mechanical error. No guarantee on those. Just send in and get correct labels.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quick question to the Greek chorus...

With the Mercanti holders now seemingly selling at a growing discount to the regular American flag holders...how much would it cost to have PCGS reholder a set with flag holders? Inquiring minds want to know... ?
  • Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Just curious, at $1400-1500 whos buying 70 sets right now? Didn't think I was going to, but I am gonna pick one up, cant resist. Just curious what people think. Is this the lowest the 70s will go? I feel like it has to be close

• Options
    how much would it cost to have PCGS reholder a set with flag holders

I think the cheapest option for one set right now is to use CC special - so it will be 4*14 + 8 + S/H both ways so around hundred bucks

Current CC special is "Grade 5 moderns for the price of 4"

So I think you can submit 5 of them for re-grade - you don't have to pay for FS if it's already there and you're guaranteed not to go lower in grade

Plus you will also get cerial numbers in order image

However I would call PCGS and ask if this is the case
  • Options

<< <i>With the Mercanti holders now seemingly selling at a growing discount to the regular American flag holders...how much would it cost to have PCGS reholder a set with flag holders? Inquiring minds want to know... ? >>

Someone posted previously that it would be roughly $150 total to have sets re-slabbed into the flag labels.

<< <i>Just curious, at $1400-1500 whos buying 70 sets right now? Didn't think I was going to, but I am gonna pick one up, cant resist. Just curious what people think. Is this the lowest the 70s will go? I feel like it has to be close >>

I bought two at $1500ea, and since they're now available at $1375 just a few days later I'm going to wait for $1250 to buy two more. If they hit $1000 (seems very unlikely, but hey at the rate they're falling it may happen) I will sell bullion gold and silver to buy even more. I think at this point the rush to dump them is unsustainable and eventually sellers will realize they should just hold them for a few months. Here's to hoping we see $1000 pcgs70 sets though imageimage
  • Options
    Just picked up a FS Mercanti 69 set for $800 shipped and seriously considering picking up a Mercanti 70 set. Where are you seeing them for $1375? Thanks
  • Options

<< <i>Just picked up a FS Mercanti 69 set for $800 shipped and seriously considering picking up a Mercanti 70 set. Where are you seeing them for $1375? Thanks >>

Haven't seen them at that price personally, but there's a seller on Ebay listing PCGS 70 sets with the Mercanti signed labels for $1,400 with free shipping (BIN). Just grabbed one myself, I couldn't resist at twice what the raw opened sets are going for.

Figure the cost of buying sealed sets that are FS and Anniversary Set eligible, shipping and grading fees, the odds of actually getting a full set of 70s from a box of 5, and the limited selling price of 69s. Maybe prices will dip a bit lower from here, but with the NGC Early Releases deadline gone period (I think) and the PCGS First Strike deadline gone for anything except sealed sets, the downside risk seems minimal on a 1-2 year basis.

• Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options

<< <i>gift wrapped??? >>

It's an option when checking out on the Mint's website.

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭
    Order #383899**
    In stock and reserved

Order #383923**
    In stock and reserved

Order #383945**
    5 units backordered. Expected to ship on 12/22/2011.

• Options

<< <i>Just picked up a FS Mercanti 69 set for $800 shipped and seriously considering picking up a Mercanti 70 set. Where are you seeing them for $1375? Thanks >>

Someone in the BST subforum reduced theirs to that price earlier today.
  • Options

<< <i>

Someone in the BST subforum reduced theirs to that price earlier today. >>

They're at 1395 not 1375. Picked one up at that price image Id say thats pretty darn close to the bottom for the 70s...but I could be wrong.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Someone in the BST subforum reduced theirs to that price earlier today. >>

They're at 1395 not 1375. Picked one up at that price image Id say thats pretty darn close to the bottom for the 70s...but I could be wrong. >>

I think we are getting close. It would be nice to see them hit that $1000 mark or even $1250 but I don't see it. But, like you, I could be wrong - please make me wrong!!! If they hit $1k, I know where my $10k "emergency coin cash stash" is going.
  • Options

<< <i>Quick question to the Greek chorus...

With the Mercanti holders now seemingly selling at a growing discount to the regular American flag holders...how much would it cost to have PCGS reholder a set with flag holders? Inquiring minds want to know... ? >>

I called PCGS today and was told that the cost for reholdering for MS70 or PR70 is $30 + $8 handling + shipping both ways.
    Based on the respective values of Mercanti and Flag holders it might be worth doing.

KP
  • Options

<< <i>

With the Mercanti holders now seemingly selling at a growing discount to the regular American flag holders...how much would it cost to have PCGS reholder a set with flag holders? Inquiring minds want to know... ? >>

I called PCGS today and was told that the cost for reholdering for MS70 or PR70 is $30 + $8 handling + shipping both ways.
    Based on the respective values of Mercanti and Flag holders it might be worth doing.

KP >>

That value will not hold. The flags will hit in force within a week and their value will drop to less than Mercanti. Thats my opinion anyway.
    Currently working with nurmaler. Older transactions....circa 2011 BST transactions Gecko109, Segoja, lpinion, Agblox, oldgumballmachineswanted,pragmaticgoat, CharlieC, onlyroosies, timrutnat, ShinyThingsInPM under login lightcycler
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

KP >>

That value will not hold. The flags will hit in force within a week and their value will drop to less than Mercanti. Thats my opinion anyway. >>

Particularly since the Mercanti signature labels are being changed.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭
    How many Mercanti signed sets are there? Is he still signing them up to nowimage Will he be signing as long as there's demand? If so whats the point in buying a limitless Mercanti signed slab?
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Just my 2 cents:

The 2011-S mint $1 is the US first Dollar coin with an "S" mintmark on it since the 1935-S Peace Dollar (in an long, ongoing dollar coin series so I am excluding dollar Commems with this comment). This coin has a great future ahead of it in my view.

The 2011-P Reverse Proof Dollar is a 100,000 mintage Silver Eagle Type coin! Need I say more. This coin also has a great future ahead of it in my view.

Let's talk again aeound this same time next year and see if these (2) coins are still around $200-$250/coin.

Wondercoin >>

Agree entirely with this. The dumping right now is pretty astounding, and looking ahead I think there will be a lot of seller's remorse around.

This morning I saw a 2011 Anniversary set, PCGS 70, sold for $1,300 BIN. Mintage of 100K and 5 coins.

Either the mature, 5 year old market for the 2006 sets is wrong to the upside, or the temporarily saturated market for the 2 month old 2011 sets is wrong to the downside. I know which of those bets I'd take. If I wasn't already sitting on 19 sealed sets I'd be taking in all the 70 sets that I could afford in the $1,400 area. >>

OK I will explain to you what you are missing in this whole scenario. The 2006 sets have only 229 sets possible in the 70 First Strike Label and 560 total possible in 70 label (Regular + First Strike) so there is some condition rarity. The 2011 have around 2700 sets possible in the First Strike Label Probably headed for 5000 sets by year end. So hang on tight if you think they are going up.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Just my 2 cents:

Wondercoin >>

Either the mature, 5 year old market for the 2006 sets is wrong to the upside, or the temporarily saturated market for the 2 month old 2011 sets is wrong to the downside. I know which of those bets I'd take. If I wasn't already sitting on 19 sealed sets I'd be taking in all the 70 sets that I could afford in the $1,400 area. >>

OK I will explain to you what you are missing in this whole scenario. The 2006 sets have only 229 sets possible in the 70 First Strike Label and 560 total possible in 70 label (Regular + First Strike) so there is some condition rarity. The 2011 have around 2700 sets possible in the First Strike Label Probably headed for 5000 sets by year end. So hang on tight if you think they are going up. >>

Look at the percentages of the mintages of both, the serious rise in silver prices, and the increase in a collector's base...and think again.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How many Mercanti signed sets are there? Is he still signing them up to nowimage Will he be signing as long as there's demand? If so whats the point in buying a limitless Mercanti signed slab? >>

WC???? You mentioned a revision to the Mercanti label last week, what's the scoop?

I asked a PCGS executive about the Mercanti label revision this past weekend - no answer.

I emailed Jaime to blog about the Mercanti labels - he doesn't know much / anything about Mercanti labels.

If the initial Mercanti labels are a "limited edition" and IF a revision is due, won't this affect the Mercanti market?
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gang, I have a "sealed" box of 5 sitting here, that I bought direct from the Mint. When I picked it up at the PO, the clear tape on ONE END of the top of the box was broken. Everything else is intact, including all across the top. Think PCGS will still accept as "sealed"? Anyone with experience with this problem, please advise.

Thanks -
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    Just my 2 cents:

I was told by "the source" that there will be a different style Mercanti autographed insert and that Mr. Mercanti is in the process of signing the new style inserts. That source told me it was OK to report that to this forum at that time (when I mentioned at first I was not 100% certain about this, the source told me I could state with certainty regarding the new style insert being in the works).

That said ... it is going to take a great deal more than a new insert tag to turn this ship around!! I am personally surprised by the prices Mercanti 70 sets are going for right now. I have been (in nearly all cases) matching or beating any legitimate offer forum members have been receiving elsewhere all day long and have sold a great many 70 sets today. I will have -0- regrets later if these sets rise sharply from here, because good profitable deals is what brings customers back again and again. But, I have stopped all open bid auctions on ebay and I am getting very close to "calling it a day" and tucking a significant % of my remaining 70 inventory away for next year. On second thought, I may need to sell some more sets though just to cover my PCGS grading bills image !!!!!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>gift wrapped??? >>

It's an option when checking out on the Mint's website. >>

Actually nice looking wrapping paper ...
    Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Order #383899**
    In stock and reserved

Order #383923**
    In stock and reserved

Order #383945**
    5 units backordered. Expected to ship on 12/22/2011. >>

Cool! More to flood with image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    AbsolutionAbsolution Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    First, this is a view from a new coin collector so this might not hold a lot of weight (thought I'd say this first to not waste people's time on my opinion, hope I don't make anyone mad).

How many coin collectors that collect Silver Eagles do you think there are out there (pessimistic Number, not optimistic)? Currently PCGS has 2,100 graded as 70s and it will probably go up. NGC probably has around the same amount, so let's say that 10,000 of the 100,000 coins will have PCGS 70 or NGC 70 full sets. 10% of the coins will be perfect grade...

Why the coins won't go up anytime soon

1) In my opinion the younger generation (wow I can't believe I just said that) don't really care about coins. They care about gadgets etc. or investments in the stock market. I don't think there are many coin collectors in the younger generation because they don't like to invest for the long-term but only short-term as they are thinking need/want now now now. At least that's what it feels like, I'm still young and I know that my generation completely sucks when it comes to planning for the future.

2) I was looking at the 2006 ASEs and they seem to be averaging around 500 dollars (if that) for a full set and it's been 5 years. Even with the auctions etc. going on there's not many biters. This leads me to believe that there aren't many collectors who really care about the Silver Eagles. I really hope not, the coin is really pretty and actually the reason why I got into coin collecting. Originally I was out to make a profit now I just want to sell the unneeded coins for the needed ones-at the crossroads, got lucky and got 3 2011-P PR70s and not sure if I want to get rid of one to fund my last 2 needed coins or wait for market to be more reasonable.

3) People who collect coins seem to look for the JP Morgans or OOOLLD coins. I can't wait to own my very first really old coin but back to the subject, I feel like the newer coins most coin collectors aren't interested in because they won't see it at a super high price in their lifetime (maybe in like 80 years from now or more? I'll probably be gone too lol)
    Successful BST Transactions with: RMLTM79 (seller), Gerard (seller), bgman (buyer), Coinflip (buyer) | Positive Vendor Transactions/Service with: Stuppler & Company (seller)
  • Options

<< <i>First, this is a view from a new coin collector so this might not hold a lot of weight (thought I'd say this first to not waste people's time on my opinion, hope I don't make anyone mad).

How many coin collectors that collect Silver Eagles do you think there are out there (pessimistic Number, not optimistic)? Currently PCGS has 2,100 graded as 70s and it will probably go up. NGC probably has around the same amount, so let's say that 10,000 of the 100,000 coins will have PCGS 70 or NGC 70 full sets. 10% of the coins will be perfect grade...

1) In my opinion the younger generation (wow I can't believe I just said that) don't really care about coins. They care about gadgets etc. or investments in the stock market. I don't think there are many coin collectors in the younger generation because they don't like to invest for the long-term but only short-term as they are thinking need/want now now now. At least that's what it feels like, I'm still young and I know that my generation completely sucks when it comes to planning for the future.

2) I was looking at the 2006 ASEs and they seem to be averaging around 500 dollars (if that) for a full set and it's been 5 years. Even with the auctions etc. going on there's not many biters. This leads me to believe that there aren't many collectors who really care about the Silver Eagles. I really hope not, the coin is really pretty and actually the reason why I got into coin collecting. Originally I was out to make a profit now I just want to sell the unneeded coins for the needed ones-at the crossroads, got lucky and got 3 2011-P PR70s and not sure if I want to get rid of one to fund my last 2 needed coins or wait for market to be more reasonable.

3) People who collect coins seem to look for the JP Morgans or OOOLLD coins. I can't wait to own my very first really old coin but back to the subject, I feel like the newer coins most coin collectors aren't interested in because they won't see it at a super high price in their lifetime (maybe in like 80 years from now or more? I'll probably be gone too lol) >>

Have any you want to dump? I'll pick em up on the cheap image
    Currently working with nurmaler. Older transactions....circa 2011 BST transactions Gecko109, Segoja, lpinion, Agblox, oldgumballmachineswanted,pragmaticgoat, CharlieC, onlyroosies, timrutnat, ShinyThingsInPM under login lightcycler
  • Options

<< <i>Just my 2 cents:

I was told by "the source" that there will be a different style Mercanti autographed insert and that Mr. Mercanti is in the process of signing the new style inserts. That source told me it was OK to report that to this forum at that time (when I mentioned at first I was not 100% certain about this, the source told me I could state with certainty regarding the new style insert being in the works).

That said ... it is going to take a great deal more than a new insert tag to turn this ship around!! I am personally surprised by the prices Mercanti 70 sets are going for right now. I have been (in nearly all cases) matching or beating any legitimate offer forum members have been receiving elsewhere all day long and have sold a great many 70 sets today. I will have -0- regrets later if these sets rise sharply from here, because good profitable deals is what brings customers back again and again. But, I have stopped all open bid auctions on ebay and I am getting very close to "calling it a day" and tucking a significant % of my remaining 70 inventory away for next year. On second thought, I may need to sell some more sets though just to cover my PCGS grading bills image !!!!!

Wondercoin >>

I was wondering when the point of selling pull back would be. Apparently we have reached it image
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure quite a few ASE collectors within the ASE collector base don't even know the train has come and gone on these. Lots of room left over the next few years to dribble these out and make a better return than the current dump. I thought so on the 06's and I'll do it on these too.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    not after reviewing my grading bills!!image

Wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>not after reviewing my grading bills!!image

Wondercoin >>

I'm sure it would scare me to death image
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sure quite a few ASE collectors within the ASE collector base don't even know the train has come and gone on these. Lots of room left over the next few years to dribble these out and make a better return than the current dump. I thought so on the 06's and I'll do it on these too. >>

My dad is strictly a Mint collector and had no idea about these.
  • Options
    One thing I would like to point out. Many many of these flippers were first time buyers and sellers of these very same coins that some are calling done. They have taken their profits!......Now if they re-invest their cash back into the market is yet to be seen.... BUT....I think the bug has bitten!..........and I think these same sellers are sitting in the wings hoping to make even more when the prices settle........I am very surprised at the number of coins receiving 70 grade (based upon previous mint issues).........BUT.........when you consider the mintage of 100K if 25 percent get 70 status(and that may end up lower) that can ONLY be good for the coin world (IMO)......Yes a boatload of 70's drives the prices crazy but how can that not help the collector base these coins have???.............The mintage is NEVER going to change!!!............5-10 years from now there are still going to be only a certain amount of coins available......In my case.....the remaining 20 sets are bought and paid for........and I am sure many share that same ugly situationimage..............Just hold on and wait!!.................
  • Options

<< <i>First, this is a view from a new coin collector so this might not hold a lot of weight (thought I'd say this first to not waste people's time on my opinion, hope I don't make anyone mad).

3) People who collect coins seem to look for the JP Morgans or OOOLLD coins. I can't wait to own my very first really old coin but back to the subject, I feel like the newer coins most coin collectors aren't interested in because they won't see it at a super high price in their lifetime (maybe in like 80 years from now or more? I'll probably be gone too lol) >>

Response by number:

1). Im 22 and know a ton of people my age who collect coins. If nothing else, gold and modern "bullion"...which to a lot of people the 25th sets fall into.
    2). Are you talking about 70 sets or single coins? Because 2006 70 sets are going for wayyy more than 500 and either way, their value has consistently gone up since they hit their "bottom".
    3). The ASEs are and have been different than most modern coins. I am currently selling a huge part of my dad's modern collection. All his ASEs he at least tripled/quadrupled or more what he spent. Yes, has to do with cost of silver, but ASEs have a different collector's base than most modern coins, and the "investment" in silver makes people interested in these, who otherwise might not be.

Obviously anything is speculation, but it's simple enough to look at the history behind these. Seems like most people just ignore that...to each his own. Personally, I wish I was independently wealthy, I'd buy as many 70 sets as I could right now and wait 6 months or a year or 2.

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file