Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• Options
    Somebody made a nice purchase. I wonder if the seller should have clarified whether the sets were able to be submitted for First Strikes?

ASE 3 boxes sealed
  • Options

<< <i>Somebody made a nice purchase. I wonder if the seller should have clarified whether the sets were able to be submitted for First Strikes?

ASE 3 boxes sealed >>

I am not sure that the four perfect feedbacks are going to get him/her a lot of attention. I guess you have to start somewhere.
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Mint Packing Slip, does not show a date. It does indicate the Carrier: Next Day Air, along with the Tracking #. >>

The box of 1 that I opened was dated 11/30/11 in the upper right corner of the packing slip.

HH >>

I stand corrected, I do see a date in the right hand corner and it does match the tracking date of mailing.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    anyone selling 70s at current prices will regret it in about one year.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>anyone selling 70s at current prices will regret it in about one year. >>

I couldn't agree more image.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Anyone selling any right now is going to regret it in about a year.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question, I want to buy some of these coins as a long term hold/investment, I also love the designs. With that being said and I am going for my best bang for the buck with about $1500 to spend, should I just purchase the keys or go for a complete set?

FYI I do like the PCGS Mercanti black labels but I am not a fan of the flag labels at all.

Thanks in advance,

BC
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭

<< <i>Question, I want to buy some of these coins as a long term hold/investment, I also love the designs. With that being said and I am going for my best bang for the buck with about $1500 to spend, should I just purchase the keys or go for a complete set?

FYI I do like the PCGS Mercanti black labels but I am not a fan of the flag labels at all.

Thanks in advance,

BC >>

Everyone is going to horde the 2011-P and 2011-S , They are and will be the most desirable and wanted, most don't care about the others unless to complete a set, but maybe the buillion
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on pricing but best bang for the buck would be keys...that said, I'd go for the set in case you decide to keep them. $1500 would be one 70 mercanti set plus a little $ or 3 keys plus a little $. Hmmm!!!
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

<< <i>Question, I want to buy some of these coins as a long term hold/investment, I also love the designs. With that being said and I am going for my best bang for the buck with about $1500 to spend, should I just purchase the keys or go for a complete set?

Thanks in advance,

BC >>

Everyone is going to give you a different answer, but if you believe in the 25th ase sets and you like the Mercanti labels I would look to buy two Mercanti FS69 sets with the money. You can get the 70 sets for $1300 now (which is a *steal* IMO), but if your budget is $1500 than I feel you'll maximize your upside with two Mercanti 69 sets over 1 70 set plus an additional S coin. Others will give you differing opinions, but that's what I would do image.
  • Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    I've got 2 FS Flag 69 sets. Would it be wise to sell both and buy one 70 set? I like the tombstone labels myself.
    GMan
  • Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    How come the Mercanti (black label) sets don't have the standard pcgs "holographic" color sticker on the back for authenticity?

• Options

<< <i>I've got 2 FS Flag 69 sets. Would it be wise to sell both and buy one 70 set? I like the tombstone labels myself. >>

70 sets are definitely going to command significantly more in the future, but I certainly wouldn't trade two 69 sets for one 70 set. The tombstone 70 set is the cheapest to buy so if you want one you should sell your 69 set, and then raise the additional funds to buy the tombstone set. Selling both 69 sets to obtain one 70 set is a mistake IMO.

Do whatever makes you happy though image
  • Options

<< <i>

Thanks in advance,

BC >>

Everyone is going to give you a different answer, but if you believe in the 25th ase sets and you like the Mercanti labels I would look to buy two Mercanti FS69 sets with the money. You can get the 70 sets for $1300 now (which is a *steal* IMO), but if your budget is $1500 than I feel you'll maximize your upside with two Mercanti 69 sets over 1 70 set plus an additional S coin. Others will give you differing opinions, but that's what I would do image. >>

Well I have seen the Mercanti 70 sets go for about $1500 with a nice box(kinda cool for me to take out and look at) but 2 Mercanti 69 sets would be about $1800.

Thanks for the replies, I will buy a set soon just not sure which.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    I hate to even sell either set at today's prices, but unless I do sell at least 1, I can't swing a 70 set at all. Maybe I'll sell the one like you say. I can probably cover the extra needed to purchase the 70 set if I do that. Decisions, decisions...
    GMan
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Everyone is going to horde the 2011-P and 2011-S , They are and will be the most desirable and wanted, most don't care about the others unless to complete a set, but maybe the buillion >>

Two good reasons to hoard only these two - they take up a lot less space, and weigh only 2 (troy) ounces instead of 3 pounds! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>Well I have seen the Mercanti 70 sets go for about $1500 with a nice box(kinda cool for me to take out and look at) but 2 Mercanti 68 sets would be about $1800.
    Thanks for the replies, I will buy a set soon just not sure which. >>

I would *highly* recommend that you start watching eBay like a hawk and following the two or three 25th monster threads here daily. A few days ago someone posted about Goldmart selling 70 Mercanti sets for $1250ea and now they're down to $1195 (bank wire pricing; cc's add $30/set). I saw a Mercanti 69 set sell for $790 in the last couple of days so if you're watching the market closely you'll do better than the average BuyItNow prices.

Good luck with whatever you decide image
  • Options
    Goldmart has the 69 sets listed for $695 right now. I think I'll just hold mine for now even though I'd love to have a 70 set as well.
    GMan
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Well I have seen the Mercanti 70 sets go for about $1500 with a nice box(kinda cool for me to take out and look at) but 2 Mercanti 68 sets would be about $1800.

I would *highly* recommend that you start watching eBay like a hawk and following the two or three 25th monster threads here daily. A few days ago someone posted about Goldmart selling 70 Mercanti sets for $1250ea and now they're down to $1195 (bank wire pricing; cc's add $30/set). I saw a Mercanti 69 set sell for $790 in the last couple of days so if you're watching the market closely you'll do better than the average BuyItNow prices.

Good luck with whatever you decide image >>

Solo and others thanks for the solid advice. I had been watching ebay, a 69 set just sold for $777. The only reason I considered ebay is ebay bucks. If I use ebay do I avoid state tax?

Last question, someone mentioned they would only buy if they went to a show and cherry picked but I do not have the skill to do this, any thoughts?

• Options

<< <i>Goldmart has the 69 sets listed for $695 right now. I think I'll just hold mine for now even though I'd love to have a 70 set as well. >>

At that price I am not sure I can resistimage

• Options

<< <i>If I use ebay do I avoid state tax? >>

If the seller is a business in your state then they should charge you tax. If they're in another state you have nothing to worry about.

<< <i>Last question, someone mentioned they would only buy if they went to a show and cherry picked but I do not have the skill to do this, any thoughts? >>

It's not that hard to cherry pick a set of raw coins. If you haggle over price and agree to buy a set, then the dealer should have no qualms about you picking and choosing between a few raw sets (assuming he has multiples). Just look for obvious scratches and scuffs on the coins and buy whatever set looks the best. In particular though you should buy the set with the best S and reverse proof coins, or better yet, mix and match between the sets if the dealer allows it. If you don't have 20/20 vision, you should bring a loupe or even a 3x magnifying glass to make the task easier. Just don't expect the dealer to allow you to open a half dozen sets and spread them out on his cases image.
  • Options

<< <i>...Goldmart has the 69 sets listed for $695 right now. I think I'll just hold mine for now even though I'd love to have a 70 set as well....
    At that price I am not sure I can resistimage >>

Why fight it image? I just purchased another 70 set from them a few minutes ago after seeing they dropped from $1249 to $1199.
  • Options
    SpeedieSpeedie Posts: 104 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>...Goldmart has the 69 sets listed for $695 right now. I think I'll just hold mine for now even though I'd love to have a 70 set as well....

Why fight it image? I just purchased another 70 set from them a few minutes ago after seeing they dropped from $1249 to $1199. >>

In for 4 myself. Price is now back to $1,250.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Why fight it image? I just purchased another 70 set from them a few minutes ago after seeing they dropped from $1249 to $1199. >>

In for 4 myself. Price is now back to $1,250. >>

Shibby and the 69 set is up 50 also.

• Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

In for 4 myself. Price is now back to $1,250. >>

Shibby and the 69 set is up 50 also. >>

I was just about to pull the trigger too...
  • Options
    Ok, I'm getting conflicting answers and someone in the know how, please correct me if I'm wrong. At this point in the game, sending an unopend UPS box to PCGS or NGC will only get you the 25th anniversary distinction for the 3 NON-key coins, is that correct? That is the only advantage that a sealed box posseses at this point over an opened box sent in for submission, right? The early release and first strike distinctions are now off the table as I understand.
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok, I'm getting conflicting answers and someone in the know how, please correct me if I'm wrong. At this point in the game, sending an unopend UPS box to PCGS or NGC will only get you the 25th anniversary distinction for the 3 NON-key coins, is that correct? That is the only advantage that a sealed box posseses at this point over an opened box sent in for submission, right? The early release and first strike distinctions are now off the table as I understand. >>

No. Boxes sealed from the mint that were shipped before the cutoff date will ALWAYS be eligible for FS AND the 25th anniversary label. Unopened boxes shipped passed the FS cutoff date are only eligible for the 25th set label, no FS. Opened sets are now no longer eligible for FS at all, but the 2 unique coins are ALWAYS eligible for the 25th label.

-Paul
  • Options

<< <i>Ok, I'm getting conflicting answers and someone in the know how, please correct me if I'm wrong. At this point in the game, sending an unopend UPS box to PCGS or NGC will only get you the 25th anniversary distinction for the 3 NON-key coins, is that correct? That is the only advantage that a sealed box posseses at this point over an opened box sent in for submission, right? The early release and first strike distinctions are now off the table as I understand. >>

No.

NGC: You cannot get "Early Releases" (ER) designation any longer, no matter what you send in, as the deadline has passed. You can get "25th Anniversary Set" designation on all 5 coins for sealed sets, or on the 2 keys (2011-S uncirculated/burnished and 2011-P reverse proof) for opened sets.

PCGS: You can get both First Strike (FS) and "25th Anniversary Set" designations on all 5 coins for sets in sealed boxes that were shipped by the Mint before 12/7/2011. You cannot get First Strike designation on any of the coins for opened sets, and you can only get "25th Anniversary Set" designation on the 2 keys (2011-S uncirculated/burnished and 2011-P reverse proof) on opened sets.
  • Options

<< <i>

Good luck with whatever you decide image >>

Solo, thanks for the help. I picked up a 69 Mercanti set from a member on the BST for $755 shipped.

• Options
    Man oh man, that Goldmart $1250 price on 70s is tempting. But I can't help but think....how much further might they fall? Also, what the heck is up with the price disparity between Mercantis and Flags? They're the same coins...reholdering sure is tempting, but I don't think that disparity will last in a big way.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pink I agree with you, most of what's shipping over the next few weeks will be Flag, correct? I think this is just going to muddle around for 6-12 mos. I have talked myself in and out of buying some 70's a dozen times.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    Man oh man, that Goldmart $1250 price on 70s is tempting

Sure - it is as I've got this email

Dear Customer

We see that you have the 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle PCGS First Strike "70" set in your shopping cart. We are giving you a courtesy heads up that our inventory is drying up and we will probably be raising prices on these sets to $1,295 this evening/afternoon.

Best Regards,
    Sales

However I still see some other sellers in the same range and keep holding myself back
  • Options

<< <i>Pink I agree with you, most of what's shipping over the next few weeks will be Flag, correct? I think this is just going to muddle around for 6-12 mos. I have talked myself in and out of buying some 70's a dozen times. >>

I bought Mercanti 70 sets at $1500, and at $1195 and plan on buying one or two more if they dip further. However I think raw sets at any price under $600 may be the better buy as long as the keys are in very nice shape. I believe the Mercanti 70 sets (or any FS pcgs 70 sets) have a bright future, but at some point you have to ask yourself if it's really worth the premium for slabbed 70s versus nice looking raw coins. The market seems to prefer and pay a premium for pcgs FS70 sets right now, but that may not be the case in 5, 10, or 20+ years so it's wise not to pay too much for labels.
  • Options

<< <i>Man oh man, that Goldmart $1250 price on 70s is tempting

Sure - it is as I've got this email

Dear Customer

We see that you have the 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle PCGS First Strike "70" set in your shopping cart. We are giving you a courtesy heads up that our inventory is drying up and we will probably be raising prices on these sets to $1,295 this evening/afternoon.

Best Regards,
    Sales

However I still see some other sellers in the same range and keep holding myself back >>

Must have triggered by the 100 I loaded in my cart. image Unfortunately, you can't see a published inventory when you type in a high number.
  • Options

<< <i> The market seems to prefer and pay a premium for pcgs FS70 sets right now, but that may not be the case in 5, 10, or 20+ years so it's wise not to pay too much for labels. >>

I can't believe the big discrepancy for the Flags. It costs, what, $100 or so a set (after shipping) to get PCGS to reholder in a Flag container?
  • Options
    Also, what the heck is up with the price disparity between Mercantis and Flags

Here is my very primitive explanation.

Based on the % of 70s at the moment in individual vs bulk submissions before re-labeling begins "Flag" 70 labels mean "best one out of 5-10 coins" vs "Mercanti" 70 Label means "best one out of two or maybe the same as others" image
  • Options

<< <i>I can't believe the big discrepancy for the Flags. It costs, what, $100 or so a set (after shipping) to get PCGS to reholder in a Flag container? >>

Remember the very first NGC70 set cleared $3K so being the first to market always pays. The first few days or even two or three weeks in this case really paid off immediately, but as thousands of sets sold the market had to find some kind of balance. The flag sets however are still much newer than the bulk/Mercanti labels so they're still at a premium. Realistically many more flag sets will be entering the declining spot price market shortly and I believe people with money and time on their side will do quite well buying these at prices just a bit lower from here. Keep in mind the 20th revPR was selling for $180 to $400 depending on label before the 25th madness went crazy and considering the new set has TWO keys that 2.4 times rarer makes these things a screaming buy at any price $600 or less IMO.
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The flag sets however are still much newer than the bulk/Mercanti labels so they're still at a premium. Realistically many more flag sets will be entering the declining spot price market shortly

<< <i>

<< <i>

And why realistically do you think this? Is it because the buyers of the expensive labels got top priority, therefore the cheap flag labels will show up en mass soon due to the turnaround time on the submission form being 20 to 30 days? While the turnaround with the Mercanti labels was within 2 weeks. "Flags labels entering the decline" - hmmm - not sure that decline will happen as quickly as the Mercanti label decline.

Time will tell. Any thoughts?

• Options
    Things are really not making sense with these sets. I just bought a single sealed set for $695 shipped and sealed single boxes are now regularly selling for less than $700. I can understand how some people are panicking thinking thse will go much much lower. Truthfully i dont see these going below $600 on a regular basis if ever but we may never know. I think single sealed sets below $700 are a screaming buy because of the scarcity in single boxes.

If you take into account the same going price as the 20th anniversary sets these should tehcnically be selling at least 3x issue price. I believe we may be near the bottom since the majority of the sets have probably been flipped by now
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Things are really not making sense with these sets. I just bought a single sealed set for $695 shipped and sealed single boxes are now regularly selling for less than $700. I can understand how some people are panicking thinking thse will go much much lower. Truthfully i dont see these going below $600 on a regular basis if ever but we may never know. I think single sealed sets below $700 are a screaming buy because of the scarcity in single boxes.

If you take into account the same going price as the 20th anniversary sets these should tehcnically be selling at least 3x issue price. I believe we may be near the bottom since the majority of the sets have probably been flipped by now >>

I agree the sealed single sets are scarce. But, even at the $700 you paid, add in $200 grading and shipping both ways, and you're at $900, plus if you need to sell on ebay add $175 fees and shipping for a cost of around $1,100. You need all 70's to pocket a couple hundred. Ain't gonna happen.
  • Options
    When you buy and pay by check at goldmart do you have to send check in 2 days or do you have to next day it .Anyone know
  • Options
    >>>therefore the cheap flag labels will show up en mass soon due to the turnaround time on the submission form being 20 to 30 days? While the turnaround with the Mercanti labels was within 2 weeks.

The point I was trying to make is that many 'regular' submitters are now receiving their coins whereas initially it was all bulk/mercanti labels that were available first. I've watched the number of flag holder sets and coins increase steadily over the last week on eBay and have already seen a small decline in flag coins/sets.

>>>"Flags labels entering the decline" - hmmm - not sure that decline will happen as quickly as the Mercanti label decline.

Well the spot price of silver has fallen through the floor in the last few days. I'm not saying the flag labels are going to shed their current premium in a matter of days, but I certainly don't see the premium holding up long term. Obviously only time will tell what the market prefers regarding these, but I find it hard to believe that the flag labeled sets will command much more than a $150 premium long term as you can always reholder the tombstone or Mercanti sets for that price. Eventually enough collectors will know that fact, coupled with people sending their sets in to be reholdered (is that even a word image?) so I believe the significant premium will evaporate shortly. Honestly I think a year or two from now people will be happy they have the Mercanti sets (especially if they change the label or discontinue them).
  • Options

<< <i>When you buy and pay by check at goldmart do you have to send check in 2 days or do you have to next day it .Anyone know >>

I haven't bought from them but I know from use of Apmex, etc they are just trying to push you to send it in asap. Snail mail has always worked fine for me even when I have waited 5 or 6 days.

• Options

<< <i>

I agree the sealed single sets are scarce. But, even at the $700 you paid, add in $200 grading and shipping both ways, and you're at $900, plus if you need to sell on ebay add $175 fees and shipping for a cost of around $1,100. You need all 70's to pocket a couple hundred. Ain't gonna happen. >>

Actually my plan on these sealed single sets is to hold them for longer period unti; prices pick back up and then sell it as is. Sealed single sets will be very scarce to find and should technically command a nice premium. $1,500 per single sealed set may not be unrealistc in a year and that in itself would be a 100% return. Ill let someone else do the gamble on the grading. Ill have my Mercanti's and NGC already
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I agree the sealed single sets are scarce. But, even at the $700 you paid, add in $200 grading and shipping both ways, and you're at $900, plus if you need to sell on ebay add $175 fees and shipping for a cost of around $1,100. You need all 70's to pocket a couple hundred. Ain't gonna happen. >>

Actually my plan on these sealed single sets is to hold them for longer period unti; prices pick back up and then sell it as is. Sealed single sets will be very scarce to find and should technically command a nice premium. $1,500 per single sealed set may not be unrealistc in a year and that in itself would be a 100% return. Ill let someone else do the gamble on the grading. Ill have my Mercanti's and NGC already >>

I sure hope you are right. That will make a 70 set worth north of $2k.
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I sure hope you are right. That will make a 70 set worth north of $2k. >>

You have a very long way to go. Prices still headed south with an ATS 70 set just closing for $1050.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You have a very long way to go. Prices still headed south with an ATS 70 set just closing for $1050. >>

You need to read the first part of the post. If a sealed set will bring $1,500, then a 70 set will bring over $2k. I didn't say they will for sure unless the first assumption is correct.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You have a very long way to go. Prices still headed south with an ATS 70 set just closing for $1050. >>

Do you have a link on that one. I can't seem to find it. However, I did find a FS Flag 70 set that sold for $1350. It looks like the Flags are loosing ground fast.
  • Options
    This must be April Fool's day and my eyes cannot believe this. Only 4 sets...grades back from NGC. Im still trying to get a hold of myself here:

001 2011 EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 70
    002 2011 EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 70
    003 2011 EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 70
    004 2011 EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 70
    005 2011 S EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 70
    006 2011 S EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 70
    007 2011 S EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 70
    008 2011 S EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 70
    009 2011 W EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 70
    010 2011 W EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 70
    011 2011 W EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 70
    012 2011 W EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 70