Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>KP Numismatic ATB Story >>

<< <i>These coins were supposed to go to collectors, and they went to profiteers >>

Sounds like the Gold Center wanted to be the profiteers, and is trying to draw attention away from their prior "selective"/non-public deals. >>

Back in the Nixon Era, the phrase was "plausible deniability"
    image >>

I wish somebody would contact Debbie Bradley and set her straight on what really happened at The Gold Center, which apparently sold 3000+ sets secretly under the table. I wonder if the owner was assuming he'd get away with such a flagrant violation of US mint regulations because of a "special" relationship with the mint employee who might pretend to do the auditing. The entire AP system lends itself to corruption, in more ways than just this example, and needs to be abolished. >>

If you look at the pic in the article, that was it for the line, with the exception of there being 50 people to the left not shown in the photo, and that does not include the people from man power that got kicked off the property, that occurred after that photo was taken. I'm in the photo. You guys count them up, do you see 600 people??? I'm sticking with no more than 200 out the front and the rest whatever that number may be out the back door...Total BS...By the way the guy on the Bay had 106 sets avail last time I counted. Lots of his listings are BIN's with multiple quantities avail...
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you were in there, you didn't happen to see a man standing at the counter with a Springfield telephone book copying out names and addresses, did you???

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>KP Numismatic ATB Story >>

<< <i>These coins were supposed to go to collectors, and they went to profiteers >>

Sounds like the Gold Center wanted to be the profiteers, and is trying to draw attention away from their prior "selective"/non-public deals. >>

Back in the Nixon Era, the phrase was "plausible deniability"
    image >>

I wish somebody would contact Debbie Bradley and set her straight on what really happened at The Gold Center, which apparently sold 3000+ sets secretly under the table. I wonder if the owner was assuming he'd get away with such a flagrant violation of US mint regulations because of a "special" relationship with the mint employee who might pretend to do the auditing. The entire AP system lends itself to corruption, in more ways than just this example, and needs to be abolished. >>

If you look at the pic in the article, that was it for the line, with the exception of there being 50 people to the left not shown in the photo, and that does not include the people from man power that got kicked off the property, that occurred after that photo was taken. I'm in the photo. You guys count them up, do you see 600 people??? I'm sticking with no more than 200 out the front and the rest whatever that number may be out the back door...Total BS...By the way the guy on the Bay had 106 sets avail last time I counted. Lots of his listings are BIN's with multiple quantities avail... >>

I posted the ebay guys information yesterday. Whoever calls Debbie Bradley should forward that information.
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭
    At noon I just missed a call from Investment Rarities and called them right back. I briefly talked to the salesman who says that he's on the other line and will call me within ten minutes to flll my order. At 1:40, with no callback, I call him again. He says "I was supposed to call you back. I am sorry. You called about the America the Beautiful sets correct?" Yes, I say. "Don't got 'em" he says. He said there are problems with the mint, he doesn't think they will get any, he'll call if they do, and some other BS.

Any others get this strange type of call from Investment Rarities? Anyone get their order filled by them? Thanks.
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RE the "numismatic" puck...

Is that article accurate in noting that they were minted in the same run as the bullion versions and will simply be sandblasted???

If true, that seems very odd. I thought they would be produced as proofs, from beginning to end.
  • gyromacgyromac Posts: 213 ✭✭
    MAIL IGNITES AT D.C. POSTAL FACILITY......AP NEWS

wonder how many pieces of mail to Fidelitrade were involved?????

• << <i>Nothing Extreme about the weather in Wilmington (Wilmington, DE- Actual Weather).

I wonder how many people ended up with the 10:44 delivery. Class Action? >>

I was at 10:44 also. That is at least 4 of us. I think we have a case.
  • 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

<< <i>RE the "numismatic" puck...

Is that article accurate in noting that they were minted in the same run as the bullion versions and will simply be sandblasted???

If true, that seems very odd. I thought they would be produced as proofs, from beginning to end. >>

100 times more likely it's just your typical talk-out-your-@$$ talk from a dealer.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>RE the "numismatic" puck...

If true, that seems very odd. I thought they would be produced as proofs, from beginning to end. >>

the mint press released said it was to be a finish similar to the medals they produce. blasted with a mixture of water and a ceramic compound.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<the mint press released said it was to be a finish similar to the medals they produce. blasted with a mixture of water and a ceramic compound.>>

If true, this is very interesting becuase if this version becomes much more valuable than the bullion versions, some people might be tempted to give them an "after treatment" with "a mixture of water and a ceramic compound!"
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Anyone have a copy of the new legislation? I can't seem to find it, but think I remember reading
    that the 2011 coins and after, don't have to "bear the exact likeness" of the quarters as did the
    2010's. Even though now it looks like they will be 3".

<< <i>MAIL IGNITES AT D.C. POSTAL FACILITY......AP NEWS

wonder how many pieces of mail to Fidelitrade were involved????? >>

none. This facilityt handles mail for the fed gov't buildings on capitol hill.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    Future coins will definitely be different if they remove the edge lettering and stamp it on the surface
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin

• << <i><<the mint press released said it was to be a finish similar to the medals they produce. blasted with a mixture of water and a ceramic compound.>>

If true, this is very interesting becuase if this version becomes much more valuable than the bullion versions, some people might be tempted to give them an "after treatment" with "a mixture of water and a ceramic compound!" >>

Would that compound also add the mint mark???image
  • Detailed Results:

Delivered, January 07, 2011, 2:20 pm, WILMINGTON, DE 19802
    Notice Left, January 07, 2011, 11:57 am, WILMINGTON, DE 19802
    Arrival at Post Office, January 07, 2011, 11:41 am, WILMINGTON, DE 19809
    Processed through Sort Facility, January 06, 2011, 8:27 pm, COPPELL, TX 75099
    Processed through Sort Facility, January 06, 2011, 1:45 pm, COLLEYVILLE, TX 76034
    Acceptance, January 06, 2011, 12:27 pm, COLLEYVILLE, TX 76034
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭
    $5,100 for a MS69ER set on ebay.

Believe it or not you can get the same set for $3,999 from Coin Vault. My guess they will soon increase the price of these.

• << <i>Anyone have a copy of the new legislation? I can't seem to find it, but think I remember reading
    that the 2011 coins and after, don't have to "bear the exact likeness" of the quarters as did the
    2010's. Even though now it looks like they will be 3". >>

I don't have the legislation; however, there is the following:
    The numismatic version will bear the "P" mint mark of the United States Mint at Philadelphia.

US Mint Press Release
  • I knew I wasn't imagining it...

Here's the email that I sent and got a confirmed order today from MTB...

<< <i> This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients was aborted after 75.8 hour(s): * info@mtbcoins.com >>

How can an email not be delivered but delivered?

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< RE the "numismatic" puck... Is that article accurate in noting that they were minted in the same run as the bullion versions and will simply be sandblasted??? If true, that seems very odd. I thought they would be produced as proofs, from beginning to end. >> the mint press released said it was to be a finish similar to the medals they produce. blasted with a mixture of water and a ceramic compound. >>

I'm confused. They are talking about sandblasting the dies, aren't they? image
  • Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    I posted it a few pages back. It does say that it now only needs to be a likeness and not an exact replica.
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I posted it a few pages back. It does say that it now only needs to be a likeness and not an exact replica. >>

Thanks. Don't know how I missed in the 4400+ posts.

<< <i>

<< <i>I posted it a few pages back. It does say that it now only needs to be a likeness and not an exact replica. >>

Thanks. Don't know how I missed in the 4400+ posts. >>

Sorry I was on my phone when I posted that and couldn't get the pdf link to copy. Here is the link , the wording is on the very bottom of page 2 and continues to page 3.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭
    I though they sandblast the planchets before being struck.
  • So will FideliTrade be notifying the lucky lottery winners, or will you know you won when you get a package from them? Will the losers get their checks returned?
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

<< <i>When you were in there, you didn't happen to see a man standing at the counter with a Springfield telephone book copying out names and addresses, did you???

image >>

No, I didn't have time to look around but I'm sure that guy was there as well ... image and after getting my box/change/and license, some big flat foot yelled at me to get out of the store...If you look at the photo, to the left of the traffic pole...I'm big puffy Red coat guy....image

<< <i>I though they sandblast the planchets before being struck. >>

I thought it was a mint pr that I read.

I couldn't find it.

Here is an article from NN that explains it at the bottom of the story.

<< <i>So will FideliTrade be notifying the lucky lottery winners, or will you know you won when you get a package from them? Will the losers get their checks returned? >>

I'm going to be watching my bank account and hope $929.20 goes missing from it very soon!

• << <i>Are the people who's USPS express mail said it could be picked up at the post office now showing delivered? >>

When it absolutely, positively needs to be there - FedEx

Yes I know I am biased =)

<< <i>Latest NN article.................America the Beautiful Bullions Go to "Profiteers"

Numismaster article >>

Coinflation.com provides its own editorial of that article
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I though they sandblast the planchets before being struck. >>

I thought it was a mint pr that I read.

I couldn't find it.

Here is an article from NN that explains it at the bottom of the story. >>

"The numismatic versions will not be proof, but have a surface that is vapor blasted after they are struck."
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So will FideliTrade be notifying the lucky lottery winners, or will you know you won when you get a package from them? Will the losers get their checks returned? >>

I would guess that this is the most probable outcome.
  • SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Latest NN article.................America the Beautiful Bullions Go to "Profiteers"

Numismaster article >>

Coinflation.com provides its own editorial of that article >>

Another interesting article.

Blame the U.S. Mint for Lack of Silver, Don't Blame Customers
    By Alec Nevalainen, Coinflation.com
    Published: January 7, 2011

I can't resist commenting on an article published on Numismaster.com today titled, America the Beautiful Bullions Go to "Profiteers".
    It gives a slightly different perspective about the frenzied line of buyers waiting outside a coin shop in Springfield, IL, which was
    first covered by the State Journal-Register on January 4th (please read both if you're unfamiliar with the story). I think everyone
    is aware that major coin publications tend to skew their views towards the dealer (or advertiser) perspective, rather than the
    point-of-view of the consumer. Perhaps any doubts to this claim were laid to rest in David Ganz's recent column Infomercial Takes Time, Practice.
    He states it's a privilege to do an infomercial for the Danbury Mint and he'll "leave it to other readers to debate if their prices are fair."

But let's make something clear about the new 5 ounce silver coin from the U.S. Mint. They didn't produce enough to meet demand and
    it was likely intentional. The drama has created more interest in their products and particularly in the clad version of the "America The Beautiful"
    quarter series. Maybe I'm giving the Mint too much credit, but I don't think so. The point I'm making here is that the customer is not to blame
    for high prices, and deriding them as "profiteers" is intellectually dishonest. Blame the U.S. Mint, don't blame the consumer. I'd love to own a
    set too, but I'm not upset that other people were more aggressive getting into line or making phone calls. I'm happy for them. The bizarre
    aspect from the entire episode is why a coin dealer would be so angry about the Mint's pricing rules and the strong aftermarket. You would think
    a line of people waiting outside his business, generating national media attention, wanting a product where he's making 10% plus expenses would
    be an opportunity of a lifetime. Apparently not.

I'm sure it's a coincidence, but it's really interesting that the Springfield, Illinois based Treasure Hunter's Roadshow has more than a few sets of these coins,
    and offering them to their "network of buyers" on eBay (a few of their seller ids are coinsantiques.10, coinsantiques.11, coinsantiques.13, coinsantiques.15,
    coinsantiques.21, coinsantiques.22, coinsantiques.25 and many, many more).

To sum up, savvy business owners don't put down their customers and complain about their exclusive status as a Mint-authorized distributor.
    They use opportunities like this to promote their business. The outrage over the initial price gouging from some of the Mint-authorized purchasers was justified.
    It's a privilege to be one of the few distributor's for the U.S. Mint, and that exclusive privilege should not be abused.

The lack of supply for a bullion coin and the timing of the release from the U.S. Mint is the real outrage.

About The Author:
    Alec Nevalainen publishes several websites to help investors price coins and bullion products including
    Coinflation.com, GoldCalc.com, GoldGramBars.com, and SilverGramBars.com.
    You can follow Coinflation.com on Twitter at http://twitter.com/coinflation.

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Gold Center guy talks like he was FORCED to sell these...

• << <i>

<< <i>Are the people who's USPS express mail said it could be picked up at the post office now showing delivered? >>

Yes I know I am biased =) >>

I agree. UPS is garbage. USPO is a donkey show.

With this whole escapade, I think alot of people have learned some valuable life lessons - I really can't believe how some people can be so clueless.

• << <i>I think alot of people have learned some valuable life lessons - I really can't believe how some people can be so clueless. >>

Yes, when in question send using FedEx, USPS, and UPS =)

<< <i>The Gold Center guy talks like he was FORCED to sell these... >>

He looked pissed from the tme he pulled up in his SUV. Right before the sale started, he passed out purple numbered cards with numbers on them. It appeared as if there were 300 of them, and when he was finished he had approx 1/2 left...To claim there were 500 people by his estimation is ridiculous...As I indicated, figure 1 1/2 hours per 50 people...That makes 100 customers by 1PM...150 by 2:30, 200 by 4 p.m. I don't know what time they closed up but it was 5 in at a time, and the next 5 were not allowed in until the other 5 were completely out...

• << <i>He looked pissed from the tme he pulled up in his SUV. Right before the sale started, he passed out purple numbered cards with numbers on them. It appeared as if there were 300 of them, and when he was finished he had approx 1/2 left...To claim there were 500 people by his estimation is ridiculous...As I indicated, figure 1 1/2 hours per 50 people...That makes 100 customers by 1PM...150 by 2:30, 200 by 4 p.m. I don't know what time they closed up but it was 5 in at a time, and the next 5 were not allowed in until the other 5 were completely out... >>

When The Gold Center agreed to purchase the coins they agreed the the US Mint terms, the agreement stated that the US Mint has the full right to Audit them and remove them as an Authorized Purchaser if deemed appropriate. US Mint should audit The Gold Center and take full access of their books. If the US Mint determines the Gold Center acted in a fraudulent manner the US Mint may remove The Gold Center as an Authorized Purchaser.
    I talked with someone at the store after they stopped selling these coins. They said they sold 350 sets. Less than 10% of the coins were made available to the public. If the gold center sold all of the coins at a $90 profit they would make over $300,000. Instead they closed the door to hide behind a curtain of deception and dishonesty.

Authorized Purchasers are affiliated with the US Mint and the US Mint should hold them accountable for any wrongdoings.
  • thats twice now i missed the bus on theseimage first time was at apmex when i had a set in my shopping cart but held off pulling the trigger because i felt the 1395 price was too high. last night i started reading this thread to catch up and see the fidelatrade deal so i got an express envelope ready and got in in the mail first thing. it will get there tomorrow/monday. i hope there`s an AP or two still to sell these and maybe i can get a set.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • I hope we might get lucky.I sent one express also early today.I called just before they said no more orders and they said there is still a chance if it is there by monday.I wonder if they will just refuse delivery on the rest of mail that shows up.I figured that was one reason they had us put the ATB program on address.
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

He looked pissed from the tme he pulled up in his SUV. Right before the sale started, he passed out purple numbered cards with numbers on them. It appeared as if there were 300 of them, and when he was finished he had approx 1/2 left...To claim there were 500 people by his estimation is ridiculous...As I indicated, figure 1 1/2 hours per 50 people...That makes 100 customers by 1PM...150 by 2:30, 200 by 4 p.m. I don't know what time they closed up but it was 5 in at a time, and the next 5 were not allowed in until the other 5 were completely out... >>

I Was There too image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I waived signature required...box checked >>

...and i thank you for leaving me the gift of a free set to pick up at your doorstep.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I waived signature required...box checked >>

...and i thank you for leaving me the gift of a free set to pick up at your doorstep. >>

Pretty sure it is the delivery to Ftrade in Delaware he's talking about, not waiving signature for delivery of pucks to an address.
  • So I got my set from MTB

Send personal check out priority mail on 01/04
    USPS deliver to MTB on 01/06
    Check cleared my account on 01/06 (super fast)

Now my question is why they are telling us there is a 17 days hold on personal checks??
    plus 2-3 weeks for the delivery - just send me the damn coaster...puck....frisbee....

MT
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So I got my set from MTB

Now my question is why they are telling us there is a 17 days hold on personal checks??
    plus 2-3 weeks for the delivery - just send me the damn coaster...puck....frisbee.... >>

How was the packaging? Loose in a cardboard box with a few packing peanuts sprinkled on top?
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    MTB was also going to use capsules like APMEX.

they said they were ordered - hence the 2 week delay

• << <i>So I got my set from MTB

plus 2-3 weeks for the delivery - just send me the damn coaster...puck....frisbee.... >>

I think he means he has a confirmed order, not the actual coins in hand.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think (guess) that if they deposit your check that you've "won".

I REALLY hope that the coins are not just thrown in a bag all together and shipped. I fear that might be the case.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

<< <i>

<< <i>Are the people who's USPS express mail said it could be picked up at the post office now showing delivered? >>

Yes I know I am biased =) >>

ROGER THAT!!!!

What a JERK!!

I LOVE the comments at the end of the article that MsM linked to a couple of days ago.
    Eric's EPIC Moderns thread from 9/07 has 8634 posts.

This Puck thread, from just over a month ago, has 4549. This is just incredible. WHAT is it about Puck Mania????

The Moderns thread includes posts from and about all of the incredible 2008 W issues, hags, etc., etc........

This is really incredible.

This Puck Disease is just so powerful - likely worse than Crack. I just don't get it, but I have it (as I sit here and post at 01:48)- as do many of you. How Sick.

Good night fellow Pucksters.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file