Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

1308309310311312314»

Comments

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jessewvu
    This thread lives on!

I am glad it does, I still like the look of these.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I stopped collecting these.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped collecting them in 2012, but I continued again in 2013. I like them even more now.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jmski52
    I stopped collecting them in 2012, but I continued again in 2013. I like them even more now.

I am not a regular collector of these, I just buy the designs I like.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much is a complete set of these now?
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only collect the bullion versions and have all of them, but added the "P" versions in 2014 & 15, when the Mint still had a 10% discount for their subscription option. (which they discontinued in 2015)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

Just rereading some of this thread. Had no idea how much money people were making on these way back when--though I do remember the frenzy. I never jumped into the bullion but am an enthusiastic collector of the "P"s now, having finally subscribed in 2013. Am hoping to complete a set someday and actually think the collector versions will develop a substantial following over time. Beautiful designs, some fairly low mintages, and, perhaps most important, large enough for us aging old guys to really enjoy without using a magnifying glass!

Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apmex gets special rates on ebay--it helps ebay report higher volume sales for its shareholders and Apmex keeps its workers busy, hard to see how they make much profit on some of their offerings.

• Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    Apmex gets special rates on ebay--it helps ebay report higher volume sales for its shareholders and Apmex keeps its workers busy, hard to see how they make much profit on some of their offerings.

By coincidence, I won a couple of ATBs this week on APMEX bids. I, too, wondered why they put them up as I was able to buy them at significant discount to the prices they list on their website.

Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2017 5:10AM

Bump for the year. Those were good times, good times.

• Options

This series is over, isn't it? how did everyone make out?

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another year or so to go.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

This was really a key time for my business. It prompted me to get relationships with the APs that I still use today. I learned so much from it.

Although I took a big hit with the Gettysburg pucks. Silver like dropped by half between when I ordered the box and when I actually got it.

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

They issued the last of the series today, there was a lot of hype and excitement back in 2011. Does anybody care about this series?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

there are 2 online dealers actively selling the new, graded bullion.

I am still in on these. I will not be collecting the next series.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

I welcomed this "final" issue and remember the "2010 bullion set" fiasco. An Expensive, Long, Drawn Out series. I've learned my lesson.... Never again! I probably won't live long enough to survive another 10 year series.... I'm done! 😑

(l8-)>>

• Options

wow, this thread is a trip down memory lane! I still have my set purchased at the initial release.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ha! I still have an APMEX sealed box of these. Pretty cool looking.
    I’m sure there’s something in there, made of silver.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep....found my 1 and 4/5 sets from that when spring cleaning.
    I will be looking to unload them soon.....I didn't continue down the collecting path on these thanks for the USMint's way of doing it and they are no longer of any interest.
    I am avoiding ebay, don't think many of the BST are interested, and so may go Great Collections...

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to believe that was over 10 years ago! I still remember the uproar about the first attempts to distribute and gouge by the APs. It was our collective voices that caused the mint to slap their wrists and tell them they needed to change their ways and quit gouging the collector. Then it was a matter of figuring out each AP's ordering method to acquire as many sets as you could. It was a lot of fun for sure!!!

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

not familiar w the initial release, did the mint sell sets of the first 5? did they come in individual boxes or some monster 5-puck box? sounds like it was a bit of chaos, per usual 😂

• Options
    KrustyKrabKrustyKrab Posts: 25 ✭✭

Remember this well. Still have 4 sealed sets from A-MARK. If I remember correctly all theirs were issued as BU. They never gave them a grade. Maybe there a 70 in one of those boxes :)

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you bought all 56 you would have 280 oz of silver worth $7,025.20 (silver at 25.09 per oz). Not saying it was necessarily a good investment (I have no idea how much these cost exactly) just crunching the numbers for those who are interested.

• Options

@Mdcoincollector2003 said:
    If you bought all 56 you would have 280 oz of silver worth $7,025.20 (silver at 25.09 per oz). Not saying it was necessarily a good investment (I have no idea how much these cost exactly) just crunching the numbers for those who are interested.

and twice that if burnished and bullion collected; 560 oz @ $14,000+

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got the first year 5 mint ones and tapped out.

• Options

curious if anyone know which one/s [burnished or bullion] have the highest secondary market value - from memory, I know hawaii volcanos bullion puck was in the $500-700 range, but haven't done full survey of entire range

• Options

@jessewvu said:
    $1395 a set

Updated 3/26/2011
    MTB is selling these directly on eBay, $1025 each!
    link to eBay MTB Sales

Updated 2/25/2011
    PCGS is now grading these DMPL along the lines with what NGC has been doing.

Updated 1/27/2011
    PCGS First Strike Coin numbers for submission purposes.

505100 2010 25C Hot Springs NP 5 oz Silver - First Strike MS
    505101 2010 25C Yellowstone NP 5 oz Silver - First Strike MS
    505102 2010 25C Yosemite NP 5 oz Silver - First Strike MS
    505103 2010 25C Grand Canyon NP 5 oz Silver - First Strike MS
    505104 2010 25C Mount Hood NP 5 oz Silver - First Strike MS

Updated 1/12/2011
    Below are the AP's:

A-Mark Precious Metals - http://www.amark.com/
    American Precious Metals Exchange, Inc. - http://www.apmex.com/
    Coins N' Things of Massachusetts (not canada) - http://atb.cntofma.com/
    Dillon Gage Inc. - http://www.dillongage.com/
    FideliTrade - http://www.fidelitrade.com/
    Jack Hunt Coin Broker - http://www.jackhunt.com/
    MTB - http://www.mtbcoins.com/
    Prudential Securities Inc. - New York, NY (212) 778-6667
    The Gold Center - Springfield, IL (217) 793-8002
    PCGS has confirmed they are now grading and encapsulating these coins without delay.

Updated 12/14/2010

So, no more than 10% markup, 1 per household, and all must be made available immediately to public.

Wall Street Journal Article

From Way Back When... But whatever came of these sets? There was alot of stress and strife back then. Did anyone make out well? What are the Pops like? Were they ever added to the registry sets? I came across my box and couldn't remember what they were.

(l8-)>>

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still have a APMEX box (incredibly packaged), DGI sealed, and a third set that also are graded.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

@MilesWaits said:
    I still have a APMEX box (incredibly packaged), DGI sealed, and a third set that also are graded.

Yeah those are the specific ones in question. PCGS Holdered them as "BU Select" I believe. There was no mint mark, not "P" mint. I believe they were the first year (2010) billion. The numbers were low because the mint only had 1 machine. The mint distributed them to authorized resellers. If I remember correctly. Did anyone resubmit them for true grading?

(l8-)>>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file