Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

You can figure that they probably sent about 2000 sets in to PCGS for grading so they must have a boatload.

They are only held back by the Grand Canyon.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. I wonder if they will drop the prices of the 2010 sets.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now the number of sets available has gone up. I wonder how many of these they're actually selling. Impossible to track when they keep adding sets.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now the number of sets available has gone up. I wonder how many of these they're actually selling. Impossible to track when they keep adding sets. >>

With the countless hours it took to collect the 2010 bullion versions in hindsight I would have stayed away and just bought 2 of the MS69DMPL sets from Apmex.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    Yeah but it was a fun ride to get there. That is what I have ended up with after all that plus a set of 11 Dmpl's and a set of 69 PL's for 10 and 11.

As far as apmex goes they are actively trying to buy these as well as sell them. That would explain why their stock of them varies.
  • Options

The 2010's have been holding their price but the 2011's have not, especially the 1st strikes.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I am not buying singles for 2012. I will wait til the end of the year and hopefully one of the bullion dealers will have a dmpl 69 set for sale like Provident Metals if their price is reasonable like the 2011 they are offering.
  • Options
    That is what I plan to do also. It is just too expensive to do it any other way as I need to buy 2 sets and my chances of getting 2 sets raw that

will turn into 69 dmpl's is almost none. Individuals selling them want too much for them as they are trying to recoup their losses from grading.
  • Options

"I am not buying singles for 2012. I will wait til the end of the year and hopefully one of the bullion dealers will have a dmpl 69 set for sale like Provident Metals if their price is reasonable like the 2011 they are offering".

Best option. It was a free for all on EBAY. Look at the completed listings using "2011 69 dmpl" and sort High to Low to search for. Very hard to beat those prices (not mine).
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, would you trade two 2011 25th Ann sets for a complete 2010 ATB billion set?
  • Options
    JaLPJaLP Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    Not right now. Their prices seem to be going in opposite directions.
  • Options
    Yes if they were 69 DMPL's
  • Options
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭
    I think there was a consensus that interest would indeed wane and prices would fall.

But that lonnnnngggg term prices might creep higher.

BUT, that was based on 125,000 - non 2010 pucks selling each year moving forward.

That is NOT happening.

Chickasaw is at 18,000 or something, as of now making IT the low mintage leader.

It may get worse as later years do not sell 10,000 units.

I am going to build a whole set regardless as homage to the money and free silver made from flipping 5 different Authorized Dealers offerings image

Its the least I can do, especially to guy who bought my original "chosen one" APMEX set for mush more than I paid for it.

25th SAE sets just bring it all back.

I think I'm gonna cry.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    I have one ungraded set I am not sure what to do with. Are these worth anything above melt? Have any of you sold yours for melt? Looking at ebay, none of them are selling.
  • Options
    Apmex won't even touch them even for melt. I still have 6 sets, even an unopened Amark set. I will open it, may be all milk spotted for all I know. The ASE is still the king of the bullion for stacking. 20-30 million this year minted. These ATBs are not for stacking, but I am collecting the 69 DMPLs anyway.

Chickasaw is 22K sold so far. I think they minted 100K or more. They must be sold in the same year as the corresponding quarter dollar. So I guess the Chickasaw will be melted next year since they can't be sold in 2012.
  • Options
    They are hurting, which is a shame because the series had some potential in that it wasn't portraying dead presidents or their wives. Folks just may not be digging the designs or the hefty price tag for 5oz of silver. I suspect it's mostly the large size....personally I think the designs are pretty good compared to some of the other Mint garbage out there. The APs ruined a lot of the fun too. One reason I've gotten sour with the series....the Mint may botch things but the APs just can't be trusted.

Perhaps the legislation should be rewritten and ramp them down to 1 or 2oz. More affordable and some of the "cartoonish" aspect would disappear.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them for what they are. I like the designs and the size is fine. They don't fit my other storage methods, but I'll probably get some tubes and separate them with 3 mil polyethylene plastic film. Eventually, these will pick up steam, because you simply can't ignore the fact that they are made of silver.

With an issue price between $200 and $300 each, they will never be in the same league as Silver Eagles. The large Aussie silver coins always seem to hold their own. These may act in a similar way.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Thanks all, I really like them, haven't gotten any of the 2011's though. I have three sets and have a set of graded ones displayed on a shelf since the designs are so nice. I know a lot of us were hoping back when this started that people buying Silver Eagles would switch to these, I mean why not, but unfortunately that didn't happen. Thankfully none of mine have milk spotted yet either.
  • Options
    Bumping my previous post from the tens spot black hole.
  • Options
    Dollar, you might just sit on those for now unless you need the money. They might sell better in December, but who knows...

Hey, here's a question....I wonder if Prudential still has a bunch of these sitting in a vault somewhere?
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    Both Silvertowne and Modern Coin Mart are selling the Chickasaw and Olympic DMPLS on ebay at market prices. $260-$300 generally. These are good prices. I finished up my 2011 DMPLs with the last two from MCM. Bids on each run about 8-10 bidders, so there are collectors still for these.

Hopefully, Dealers won't ignore the 2012's as far as the DMPLs. Expect low mintages. Looks like the Chickasaw mintage will be lower than the 2010s.
  • Options

<< <i>Chickasaw is 22K sold so far. I think they minted 100K or more. They must be sold in the same year as the corresponding quarter dollar. So I guess the Chickasaw will be melted next year since they can't be sold in 2012. >>

Are you saying that the mint is holding ≥ 100K of the chickasaws? Where can one see the data on how many of the ATB's are in AP hands? Didn't 2010 ATB's sell well into 2011?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Chickasaw is 22K sold so far. I think they minted 100K or more. They must be sold in the same year as the corresponding quarter dollar. So I guess the Chickasaw will be melted next year since they can't be sold in 2012. >>

Are you saying that the mint is holding ≥ 100K of the chickasaws? Where can one see the data on how many of the ATB's are in AP hands? Didn't 2010 ATB's sell well into 2011? >>

The mint may have done a full mintage run of Chickasaw but any not sold by 12/31 will be melted down.
    Right now only 22,300 have been sold to APs.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins that are unpopular when issued often become popular many years later...
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    It's finally over. The 2010 ATB rush has completed it's run.

In Sept, 2011, I looked @ Jeffries-Bache webpage, the last of the 2010 bullion APs and the 2010 ATB bullion sets were still for sale so I bought a set @ apprx $925 delivered.

So, I just looked again, and now, the Jeffries-Bache 2010 bullion ATB webpage is gone, which I think means its done, over, nada, zilch.

All the APs have finally sold out.

I'll miss the flip that was Jan - Mar, 2011, chasing APs and trying to buy a set. It was good times.

It's time for the final curtain call -

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, she was a good time, the ATB gal; a pleasant journey filled with merriment, a bit of beauty per ounce, a nudging respect for patience....

All in all, a heady trip for under a grand per ride with the quickened and frenzied pace tempered only by a soft float back down to reality.

Give me the drip again sweet Mint. I am good for a bit more.......

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Are you saying that the mint is holding ¡Ý 100K of the chickasaws? Where can one see the data on how many of the ATB's are in AP hands? Didn't 2010 ATB's sell well into 2011? >>

The mint may have done a full mintage run of Chickasaw but any not sold by 12/31 will be melted down.
    Right now only 22,300 have been sold to APs. >>

They can sell them into 2011 just had to be minted in the year of the quarter.
  • Options

<< <i>They can sell them into 2011 just had to be minted in the year of the quarter. >>

Incorrect. Only the P collector pucks can be minted in 2011 and still be sold after.

The bullion pucks can only be sold in the year of issue.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Then why do the AP's every Jan have to buy a % of the last years AE's to get the new year AE's? Granted it is only the beginning of a new year but it has been that way for as long as I can remember.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options

<< <i>Then why do the AP's every Jan have to buy a % of the last years AE's to get the new year AE's? Granted it is only the beginning of a new year but it has been that way for as long as I can remember. >>

I believe it is they have to be purchased by the AP's by the end of the year. In either case though only 22,000 have been sold by the mint, and the AP's are sitting on who knows how many with even less in actual collectors hands.
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interest is waning. >>

• Options
    The mint cannont sell the 2011s in 2012. Puck Legislation I think the APs/Dealers have too many of the 2011s already. There are collectors out there for the raw and graded ones, but not enough to justify 126K mintage on the first of the 2011s. Glacier DMPLs are being dumped for $249. Will we see the same number of graded pucks for 2012?
  • Options
    I was planning on picking up a couple of tubes of Chicasaw's. What you guys are saying just makes it a certainty for me.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ah, she was a good time, the ATB gal; a pleasant journey filled with merriment, a bit of beauty per ounce, a nudging respect for patience....

All in all, a heady trip for under a grand per ride with the quickened and frenzied pace tempered only by a soft float back down to reality.

Give me the drip again sweet Mint. I am good for a bit more.......

Miles >>

Inserting IV now. Time to rejoin the Matrix.
  • Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any idea what an APMEX "A Bomb" set should be priced at on ebay?

Jim
  • Options

<< <i>Any idea what an APMEX "A Bomb" set should be priced at on ebay?

Jim >>

I have been wondering myself. I was waitng for silver to climb back up near 40 and maybe take a trip to the local B&M.
  • Options

<< <i>Any idea what an APMEX "A Bomb" set should be priced at on ebay?

Jim >>

I sold a mixed set (3 x BU, 1 x MS68, 1 x MS69DMPL) for $1,250 on Ebay last week if that helps. Good times. I ended up with free 2010 and 2011 bullion sets, and a chunk towards the P versions too. It's been a good year for free silver!

Btw for storage I found that the Intercept Shield "Mint Set" box will store the ATB coins on edge in their AirTites quite nicely. You can get 48 (I think) to a box.

• Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 743 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I sold a mixed set (3 x BU, 1 x MS68, 1 x MS69DMPL) for $1,250 on Ebay last week if that helps. Good times. I ended up with free 2010 and 2011 bullion sets, and a chunk towards the P versions too. It's been a good year for free silver!
    >>

I'm sitting on the complete BU set. Was hoping for a nice set from them but got stiffed with the culls. Just time to move them out. Did you do an auction or Buy it Now?

Jim
  • Options
    Hi all,

Lowly, learning, longtime lurker - since a couple of weeks after the start of this great ATB mega-thread - hopes the community may find this of interest.

Noticed that the (controversial?) Oklahoma dealer has the sale price of the "2010 5 oz Silver ATB 5-Coin Set PCGS MS-69 DMPL First Strike Set" down to $1,995.00 / $2,054.85 cc, (~$80/oz) right now.

Thank you to all for the knowledgeable, interesting (and even fun) posts at Collectors Universe.

Have a great Holiday.
  • Options
    spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    I might be the first to say "hello" to a new member. "Hello" longtime lurker, new poster.
  • Options

<< <i>Noticed that the (controversial?) Oklahoma dealer has the sale price of the "2010 5 oz Silver ATB 5-Coin Set PCGS MS-69 DMPL First Strike Set" down to $1,995.00 / $2,054.85 cc, (~$80/oz) right now. >>

Thanks, I bit. 38 sets left.
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Noticed that the (controversial?) Oklahoma dealer has the sale price of the "2010 5 oz Silver ATB 5-Coin Set PCGS MS-69 DMPL First Strike Set" down to $1,995.00 / $2,054.85 cc, (~$80/oz) right now. >>

Thanks, I bit. 38 sets left. >>

Keep biting folks , only 218 left!

Availability: 218 In Stock $1795

• Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I think bache still has the 2010's available, check their website...Laters Cass
  • Options
    I've been using a couple of the 2011 5oz pucks in airtites as neat drink coasters!For big parties,I could probably break out the 2010s as well.
  • Options
    Anyone keeping an eye on the Chickasaw pucks?

Last I checked sales figures showed 24,600 sold as of Dec 28......

According to the "AMERICA'S BEAUTIFUL NATIONAL PARKS QUARTER DOLLAR COIN ACT OF 2008" a portion in section 201 reads that bullion ATB's

" shall become available for sale no sooner than
    the first day of the calendar year in which the
    circulating quarter dollar of which such bullion coin is
    a duplicate is issued; and
    ``(B) may only be available for sale during the year
    in which such circulating quarter dollar is issued.

I can't make the link work so here's the url for the above excerpt....... http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=110_cong_public_laws&docid=fimageubl456.110

Do we know if the AP's are still able to buy the Chickasaw's now that we're in to 2012?

I decided to speculate and picked up a tube of Chicks during the dip to $27.......Watching ampex and provident for the past couple of days, it looks like I wasn't alone. Provident is temporarily sold out. Ampex was sold out briefly but now has 300 + for individual sale.

Thanks all

Happy New Year
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    bache link for the 2010's

Still shows on their website.
  • Options
    Have prices stabilized on these coins? Is there much of a collector base left?
  • Options
    edited to move my last post to the new page...

Have prices stabilized on these coins? Is there much of a collector base left?
  • Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file