Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    With Coins NThings not "selling" until April or May this thread will probably pass it by or even lap it.
    I still think even with few coins making it to the real public the mint will do nothing about the AP's that leaked coins. The rules were very lax and technically they can say they did sell to the public. At least everyone here seems to have ordered and that is great news, in the end that is what matters.

PS Also a thumbs up to MTB and FideliTrade, they seem to have given out the most coin orders at this point to the general public. image

• << <i>Eric's EPIC Moderns thread from 9/07 has 8634 posts.

This Puck thread, from just over a month ago, has 4549. This is just incredible. WHAT is it about Puck Mania????

The Moderns thread includes posts from and about all of the incredible 2008 W issues, hags, etc., etc........

This is really incredible.

This Puck Disease is just so powerful - likely worse than Crack. I just don't get it, but I have it (as I sit here and post at 01:48)- as do many of you. How Sick.

Good night fellow Pucksters. >>

This is..in a sense, a perfect storm in a way for the coin collecting world. Huge silver pieces depicting the national parks that are short struck, full of controversy and drama, and are going for moon money. It's been a ride.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
    PinkFloyd some are predicting these are not short struck and prices will fall to bullion. I don't subscribe to that but we will see.

• << <i>PinkFloyd some are predicting these are not short struck and prices will fall to bullion. I don't subscribe to that but we will see. >>

This is news to me. What are these folks basing this prediction on?
    I don't want to name anyone but they base it on the idea that there won't be 33,000 collectors of these coins long-term. On that assumption they think the prices can't sustain over bullion value.

It is possible that people that collect these only cherrypick the coins they like the designs of for example, or they only decide to collect the lowest mintage. If that happens and 33,000 is the bottom then I am not sure their theory hold up too well.

I would think at least 33,000 will collect some of the coins, and if they collect some of them then the 2010 coins most collected should do well. Once people see these I think they will be hooked, they also look great on TV for sales. The regular silver quarters sell a million or more, 33,000 of these is about the same amount in total sales already.
  • Oh i see. I thought you were saying that some folks thought the mint was going to make more than the 33k.

I really can't see these going for the moon money that they have been selling for in the long term. But a nice little premium over spot? Yes. People like the parks and they like silver. Can't go wrong with the combo.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I waived signature required...box checked >>

...and i thank you for leaving me the gift of a free set to pick up at your doorstep. >>

Pretty sure it is the delivery to Ftrade in Delaware he's talking about, not waiving signature for delivery of pucks to an address. >>

Ya think?
  • sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    FUN show Puck report...

I haven't had a chance to wade through all the postings of the last couple of days. so please forgive me if this is redundant info.

Thursday morning, Silvertowne had 5 full tubes as well as 3 full sets on display. I estimate it at about 53 sets. They were being offered up at
    $2500 a set. I couldn't get anyone to answer any straight forward questions about demand, sales, etc, etc...

I went by their booth again yesterday (Friday) morning and they had 2 tubes left. Again, I estimate this at about 20 sets left.

I saw another raw set at another small booth, that the dealer said it sold immediately at $2500.

The only other puck I saw, was on display at the ANACS booth. It was the only graded puck that I saw.

Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << So will FideliTrade be notifying the lucky lottery winners, or will you know you won when you get a package from them? Will the losers get their checks returned? >>

I called them and they said if its a sellout then they will mail your check back to you. If your check is cashed then its a puck party for you.
  • "Thursday morning, Silvertowne had 5 full tubes as well as 3 full sets on display. I estimate it at about 53 sets."

Interesting.......

• << <i> "Thursday morning, Silvertowne had 5 full tubes as well as 3 full sets on display. I estimate it at about 53 sets."

Interesting....... >>

silvertowne got 300 sets from gold center i know leon's grandson real well they paid him 1500 each for the sets ....so he did not follow the 1 per HH rule or the selling price
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS
    gdavis70,Musky1011,cohodk,cucamongacoin,robkool,chumley, drei3ree, Rampage,jmski52, commoncents05, dimples, dcarr, Grouchy, holeinone1972, JonMN34, mission16,meltdown,Omega,PQpeace, SeaEagleCoins, WaterSport, whatsup,Wizard1,WinLoseWin,MMR,49thStateofMind,SamByrd,Ahrensdad,BAJJERFAN,timrutnat,TWQG,CarlWohlforth,Ciccio,PreTurb,NumisMe,Patches,NotSure,luvcoins123,piecesofme,perryhall,nibanny,atarian,airplanenut
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>..and the size will remain 3"

No one year 3" pucks.....

staying 3 inches >>

To me... this is BIG! I wonder why it didn't get discussed much? Too much emphasis on getting checks out the door at that particular time? No one thinks any of the future issues will come in under 33,000? With some type of holder, surely, being manufactured, won't the quality of future issues be improved? All serious questions and just asking. image

• << <i>

<< <i> "Thursday morning, Silvertowne had 5 full tubes as well as 3 full sets on display. I estimate it at about 53 sets."

Interesting....... >>

silvertowne got 300 sets from gold center i know leon's grandson real well they paid him 1500 each for the sets ....so he did not follow the 1 per HH rule or the selling price >>

Now that is real interesting, make the public wait in line in the cold for one set, complain about the mint, and make a fortune in backroom deals. The guy should be in poltics. The mint should yank his AP status pronto.
  • I think the quality of the future non-collectors edition will be the same as this one. With more minted they will still go through the AP's (maybe) and dealers will sell to the public at dealer prices which would obviously be determined mostly by demand and second by the spot price of bullion. Tubes to capsules instead of tubes to flips and being transferred by dealers instead of bullion gnomes might help decrease after minting damage.

The quality of the "P" edition obviously will/should be better....

• << <i>Eric's EPIC Moderns thread from 9/07 has 8634 posts.

This Puck thread, from just over a month ago, has 4549. This is just incredible. WHAT is it about Puck Mania????

The Moderns thread includes posts from and about all of the incredible 2008 W issues, hags, etc., etc........

This is really incredible.

This Puck Disease is just so powerful - likely worse than Crack. I just don't get it, but I have it (as I sit here and post at 01:48)- as do many of you. How Sick.

Good night fellow Pucksters. >>

Many of the posts on this thread are repeating what has already been said 100 times or announcing a new post count number at the top of the page. If you cut all that out this thread would have maybe 1000 posts.

• << <i>

<< <i> "Thursday morning, Silvertowne had 5 full tubes as well as 3 full sets on display. I estimate it at about 53 sets."

Interesting....... >>

silvertowne got 300 sets from gold center i know leon's grandson real well they paid him 1500 each for the sets ....so he did not follow the 1 per HH rule or the selling price >>

i dont know but we need to start a petition to have the gold center lose there ap status ...really hit him ....then we will see how arogant he is ... he says he dosent want to deal with the public lets give him his wish

POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS
    gdavis70,Musky1011,cohodk,cucamongacoin,robkool,chumley, drei3ree, Rampage,jmski52, commoncents05, dimples, dcarr, Grouchy, holeinone1972, JonMN34, mission16,meltdown,Omega,PQpeace, SeaEagleCoins, WaterSport, whatsup,Wizard1,WinLoseWin,MMR,49thStateofMind,SamByrd,Ahrensdad,BAJJERFAN,timrutnat,TWQG,CarlWohlforth,Ciccio,PreTurb,NumisMe,Patches,NotSure,luvcoins123,piecesofme,perryhall,nibanny,atarian,airplanenut
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Interesting....... >>

i dont know but we need to start a petition to have the gold center lose there ap status ...really hit him ....then we will see how arogant he is ... he says he dosent want to deal with the public lets give him his wish >>

Count me in.
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang! I missed . . . . . . . 4567!!!!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>MTB was also going to use capsules like APMEX.

they said they were ordered - hence the 2 week delay >>

Remember I asked thousands of posts ago how were they going to be packaged. Obviously APMEX had planned to do individual retail sales and had some capsules on hand, which allowed them to do the 400 or so pre-order sets. Everybody else is playing catchup.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>

staying 3 inches >>

To me... this is BIG! I wonder why it didn't get discussed much? Too much emphasis on getting checks out the door at that particular time? No one thinks any of the future issues will come in under 33,000? With some type of holder, surely, being manufactured, won't the quality of future issues be improved? All serious questions and just asking. image >>

I had missed that link.
    It makes sense to not change now. Had the change been made a year ago, we would probably not have had, or needed, this thread.
    TD
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

staying 3 inches >>

To me... this is BIG! I wonder why it didn't get discussed much? Too much emphasis on getting checks out the door at that particular time? No one thinks any of the future issues will come in under 33,000? With some type of holder, surely, being manufactured, won't the quality of future issues be improved? All serious questions and just asking. image >>

I had missed that link.
    It makes sense to not change now. Had the change been made a year ago, we would probably not have had, or needed, this thread.
    TD >>

Typical Mint conundrum ... first they complain it's to difficult to bang out 3" pucks, petition the Congress to allow them to change it, but in the meantime managed to figure out how to strike them as is. I only hope they bang out more than 20 coins a minute or we'll be in the same predicament again in the future.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • tincuptincup Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO a good decision on the Mint's part. The process is already developed and in place for the 3" size, planchet sources arranged, etc. Would just add to more taxpayers money to change the process now.

I also like the idea of not having to have two different sizes to deal with for those who want to collect this series. But I'm sure the speculators and those hyping the first year issue are disappointed, since the change in size has been one of their one year only hype points.
    ----- kj
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Interesting....... >>

This needs to be investigated by the US Mint. This is a flagrant violation if true.

<< <i>IMO a good decision on the Mint's part.

But I'm sure the speculators and those hyping the first year issue are disappointed, since the change in size has been one of their one year only hype points. >>

• rodzmrodzm Posts: 675
    Allright everyone for those who are wondering who the Ebay dealer coinstantiques is welll brace yourselves:

They are actually the outfit known as Treasure Hunters Roadshow...the folks that make stops in all states buying your gold and silver. They are headquartered in Illinois. How do I know this? Well Ive pruchased from them in the past and their invoices always say THR, they are located in Sprinfield Illinois 5 minutes from the Gold Center

http://www.treasurehuntersroadshow.com/Roadshow/Contact
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>FUN show Puck report...

I haven't had a chance to wade through all the postings of the last couple of days. so please forgive me if this is redundant info.

Thursday morning, Silvertowne had 5 full tubes as well as 3 full sets on display. I estimate it at about 53 sets. They were being offered up at
    $2500 a set. I couldn't get anyone to answer any straight forward questions about demand, sales, etc, etc...

I went by their booth again yesterday (Friday) morning and they had 2 tubes left. Again, I estimate this at about 20 sets left.

I saw another raw set at another small booth, that the dealer said it sold immediately at $2500.

The only other puck I saw, was on display at the ANACS booth. It was the only graded puck that I saw. >>

It would be interesting to ask Silvertowne how they got so many sets w/a one/HH limit. Did you ask them?

Edited: I should have read the rest of the posts before writing my reply. GC again. They've simply GOT to be booted as an AP. The Mint just has to audit them.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Eric's EPIC Moderns thread from 9/07 has 8634 posts. This Puck thread, from just over a month ago, has 4549. This is just incredible. WHAT is it about Puck Mania????
    The Moderns thread includes posts from and about all of the incredible 2008 W issues, hags, etc., etc........This is really incredible. This Puck Disease is just so powerful - likely worse than Crack. I just don't get it, but I have it (as I sit here and post at 01:48)- as do many of you. How Sick. Good night fellow Pucksters. >>

Many of the posts on this thread are repeating what has already been said 100 times or announcing a new post count number at the top of the page. If you cut all that out this thread would have maybe 1000 posts. >>

This discussion thread contains information and leads of enormous potential value to investigators of rules violations by the mint's Authorized Purchasers. Maybe we should try to avoid cluttering it with space-wasting postings which inflate the post count only. And let's suggest to the mint's auditors and investigators that they read through this entire thread. It should be also be referred to coin commentators such as Debbie Bradley who presented the propaganda spin from the owner of The Gold Center. If at least TGC is not fully audited, then the whole AP system is a farce.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Eric's EPIC Moderns thread from 9/07 has 8634 posts. This Puck thread, from just over a month ago, has 4549. This is just incredible. WHAT is it about Puck Mania????
    The Moderns thread includes posts from and about all of the incredible 2008 W issues, hags, etc., etc........This is really incredible. This Puck Disease is just so powerful - likely worse than Crack. I just don't get it, but I have it (as I sit here and post at 01:48)- as do many of you. How Sick. Good night fellow Pucksters. >>

Many of the posts on this thread are repeating what has already been said 100 times or announcing a new post count number at the top of the page. If you cut all that out this thread would have maybe 1000 posts. >>

This discussion thread contains information and leads of enormous potential value to investigators of rules violations by the mint's Authorized Purchasers. Maybe we should try to avoid cluttering it with space-wasting postings which inflate the post count only. And let's suggest to the mint's auditors and investigators that they read through this entire thread. It should be also be referred to coin commentators such as Debbie Bradley who presented the propaganda spin from the owner of The Gold Center. If at least TGC is not fully audited, then the whole AP system is a farce. >>

The whole AP system is a farce. There was an excellent guest commentary to that effect in the last CW.

Gold Center is clearly the worst of the worst with such blatant violations. It's not like it would take much for The Mint to figure out what they are doing and to shut them down. To date, they seem to be the only ones selling in bulk to secondary. Of course, what's w/Prudential's and the others pucks... GC has GOT to go!! The Mint should sue his tail off in addition to yanking his AP status.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

• << <i>This discussion thread contains information and leads of enormous potential value to investigators of rules violations by the mint's Authorized Purchasers. Maybe we should try to avoid cluttering it with space-wasting postings which inflate the post count only. And let's suggest to the mint's auditors and investigators that they read through this entire thread. It should be also be referred to coin commentators such as Debbie Bradley who presented the propaganda spin from the owner of The Gold Center. If at least TGC is not fully audited, then the whole AP system is a farce. >>

I think it would be better to ask the authors of the relevant posts to copy their posts into a new thread and direct the US Mint to that one. Many of us like the free-wheeling style of this thread and do not wish to change that.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • tincuptincup Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget that there are quite a few AP's that have not yet sold any pucks (that we are aware of). If Gold Center is able to get away with how they have handled their allotment, guess what the remaining AP's may end up doing....
    ----- kj

• << <i>Don't forget that there are quite a few APps that have not yet sold any pucks (that we are aware of). If Gold Center is able to get away with how they have handled their allotment, guess what the remaining AP's may end up doing.... >>

Maybe the other APs will take the high road and follow the mint guidance. Then they can rat out the other APPs, have them booted and have less competition.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhere along the trail of pucks, somebody will be left holding the bag. I can't predict the price point at which it will happen, but somebody is gonna be sorry they paid a few thou too much.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>Don't forget that there are quite a few AP's that have not yet sold any pucks (that we are aware of). If Gold Center is able to get away with how they have handled their allotment, guess what the remaining AP's may end up doing.... >>

I suspect that some of them just shipped the whole kit and kaboodle to the telehors(es) and will lay low from here on out. Look how this forum is attacking GHC for selling a couple of hundred sets retail. Nobody has been attacking AP's X, Y and Z for doing absolutely nothing.

TD
  • I have a feeling that the APs are trying to meter these out as slowly as possible to keep secondary prices high. If they are receiving kickbacks, that would make the most sense to me. The only wildcard is the numismatic versions and the APs are going to play a guessing game to release these before those are out. Each of the remaining APs probably have a few sets they will sell to the public in the next month so that they can at least say "we sold to the public."
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a feeling that the APs are trying to meter these out as slowly as possible to keep secondary prices high. If they are receiving kickbacks, that would make the most sense to me. The only wildcard is the numismatic versions and the APs are going to play a guessing game to release these before those are out. Each of the remaining APs probably have a few sets they will sell to the public in the next month so that they can at least say "we sold to the public." >>

Look how the release of 300 from The Gold Center dropped prices $250 on eBay. Imagine what happens in a couple of weeks when MTC, FideliTrade, etc ships there 300 or so pucks...

• << <i>Imagine what happens in a couple of weeks when MTC, FideliTrade, etc ships there 300 or so pucks... >>

• Ya know...it wouldn't be AS bad if the dealers and "special people" got their 50-100 sets IF, and it's a big IF, Joe Normal didn't have to go through so much freakin' grief just to get a set or two.

It's has been a royal PIA with all the maybe's and bounced emails, faxes, jerking around the on sale dates yada, yada, yada.

It's like they're doing us a big freakin' favor "letting" us buy one of "Their" sets...

It just pizzes me off......

Done now........

Side note....I am leaving tomorrow for 2 sunny weeks in St. Maarten.....Do you think I will log in every hour?????? I think not (well, maybe every few).

• kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.I am leaving tomorrow for 2 sunny weeks in St. Maarten. >>

Have fun, we'll keep the thread alive while you're away.
    Will try to0 have it up to.........10,000
    by the time you get back!

• << <i>Will try to0 have it up to.........10,000
    image >>

So you think the pace will slow then???? image

• << <i>

<< <i>Will try to0 have it up to.........10,000
    image >>

So you think the pace will slow then???? image >>

Naw...the APs are releasing the pucks slowly with a mission to get this thread to 10,000.
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I cannot pick up a set what other silver product for under a thousand should I buy?

Thanks in advance.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

<< <i>If I cannot pick up a set what other silver product for under a thousand should I buy?

Thanks in advance. >>

image Wait for the "numismatic" version and order direct from the mint. image
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    My prediction: I think the prices will still go higher as real collectors realize how difficult it is to acquire a set. Especially higher graded sets. Then the pirce will come back to 1500 or so.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If I cannot pick up a set what other silver product for under a thousand should I buy?

Thanks in advance. >>

there are those of us who believe the prices will come down once the new excitement has worn off.

if you want to put some money in silver, try the precious metals forum.

right now, I'm leaning more towards canadian maple leafs than ASEs. they have a face value of C$5. If silver ever slips below $5, and the dollar remains weak, you'll at leaat have $5 canadian.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Thanks in advance. >>

there are those of us who believe the prices will come down once the new excitement has worn off.

if you want to put some money in silver, try the precious metals forum.

right now, I'm leaning more towards canadian maple leafs than ASEs. they have a face value of C$5. If silver ever slips below $5, and the dollar remains weak, you'll at leaat have $5 canadian. >>

which may exchange to $20+ USD...
  • keep it !
    dont send sheep to kill a wolf...
    I'll tee one up for somebody...
  • DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file