Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I feel the winds of change coming.....

make those calls.

make the in stock coins available now.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "A Mighty Wind!"
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For the guys that saved you $500 (not me)

YOU'RE WELCOME. >>

Why does it seem to me that the guys that are so proud of saving everyone $500 are like the Japanese airforce congratulating themselves after a sucessful run on Pear Harbor?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
    A "Divine Wind?"
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    OK - I have to say it -

Not being one of those who took the time to voice concerns about pricing on the ATB's......but understand that they did a service to the collecting community in "waking up the USM" to ensure proper pricing and broadest distribution....

some of you guys who only care about "getting your sets regardless of price", "didnt ask for help", "congratulating yourselves for saving everyone money..."

should really be ashamed of your reaction

you're acting like a bunch of children. true colors have been shown.

I applaud those who took the time to ensure that the right thing gets done.

• 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK - I have to say it -

Not being one of those who took the time to voice concerns about pricing on the ATB's......but understand that they did a service to the collecting community in "waking up the USM" to ensure proper pricing and broadest distribution....

some of you guys who only care about "getting your sets regardless of price", "didnt ask for help", "congratulating yourselves for saving everyone money..."

I applaud those who took the time to ensure that the right thing gets done. >>

image visiting my brother in missouri got a phone call yesterday my oldest sister they found a brain tumor and are going to do surgery today, leaving hotel to head back home. Folks there are so MANY MORE things to worry about that these pucks, yes some of us who took the time are mad about the constant crying, you get your set first you got it for 500 cheaper. How about take the extra money and go donate to a cancer center. i have enough money to get to calif so at this point one of you can have the 1 and only set i wanted,,,,,,,,,,,, MERRY CHRISTMNAS ALL and say a prayer for my sister................image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got the APMEX email yesterday (12/21) but my CC was credited with the refund on the 19th. They must have been working over the weekend to get these straightened out. In any case, they knew what their approach was going to be. It just begs the question: why haven't the remaining ones haven't been offered up for sale yet???
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to beat a dead horse...but I will anyway...

But this will be a real cluster**** if all the APs go off and start selling these things on a random staggered schedule, rather than all at the same time. It'll be like the same horde of locust moving from one field to another and will really skew the distribution...and not in a good way!

At this point, the Mint should definitely set a date and tell them to all pull the trigger simultaneously!
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Got the APMEX email yesterday (12/21) but my CC was credited with the refund on the 19th. They must have been working over the weekend to get these straightened out. In any case, they knew what their approach was going to be. It just begs the question: why haven't the remaining ones haven't been offered up for sale yet??? >>

I imagine all bets are off on price controls once these are slabbed.
    <<I imagine all bets are off on price controls once these are slabbed. >>

This would be true...except that the APs are barred from slabbing and reselling them at a premium...correct?

And if that's not the case and some APs attempt to got that route, they should be stripped of their status by the Mint!
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gice them some more time.

you're going to kill the golden mint HQ goose.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    probably some of the most expensive quarters ever sold
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Still waiting for my e-mail

<< <i>

<< <i>OK - I have to say it -

I applaud those who took the time to ensure that the right thing gets done. >>

image visiting my brother in missouri got a phone call yesterday my oldest sister they found a brain tumor and are going to do surgery today, leaving hotel to head back home. Folks there are so MANY MORE things to worry about that these pucks, yes some of us who took the time are mad about the constant crying, you get your set first you got it for 500 cheaper. How about take the extra money and go donate to a cancer center. i have enough money to get to calif so at this point one of you can have the 1 and only set i wanted,,,,,,,,,,,, MERRY CHRISTMNAS ALL and say a prayer for my sister................image >>

Amen. My next door neighbor's wife had a kidney removed last week. Saw him last night and the biopsy came back malignant.
    These are just widgets, my friends. Just widgets.
    TD
    Those look so cool. I've seen lots of pics so far but none of the obverse. That is the best thing about these...they look just like a washie!
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Haha. That didn't take long. I'm waiting for the guys that have dozens of these in hand and start selling. Save for the naive vocal minoirty here that like to whine to the Mint, none of this is really surprising. In this world its who you know that matters not obtuse notions of fairness.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In this world its who you know that matters not obtuse notions of fairness.

Duly noted on your behalf.

Look, it takes nothing to try and beat the system. Everyone knows how to play that game. I just want to know which set of rules we are using. I can play either game. Just let me know.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    don't call the mint HQ.

It's too early to do that.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>http://cgi.ebay.com/America-Beautiful-5oz-Set-READY-SHIP-/110627343142?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item19c1e74b26 >>

linked

BIN $3000 Holy Cow! >>

Any guess as to which AP supplied the pucks?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>http://cgi.ebay.com/America-Beautiful-5oz-Set-READY-SHIP-/110627343142?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item19c1e74b26 >>

linked

BIN $3000 Holy Cow! >>

Any guess as to which AP supplied the pucks? >>

Item location: Carlinville, Illinois, United States

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

linked

BIN $3000 Holy Cow! >>

Any guess as to which AP supplied the pucks? >>

Item location: Carlinville, Illinois, United States >>

Figures........
    Not even a coin seller, mostly trading cards.

So now that at least one AP is blatantly violating the law, can we call the Mint yet?!?
    Is the The Gold Center is selling them? image
    don't call the mint HQ.

No, review the Mint's new statement on the new distribution rules first. THEN, call the Mint. So far we have at least 2 documented instances of Gold Center releasing sets to selected individuals but not the general public. And one of them wants $3,000 for the set. When will it not be too early?

Decatur, IL = 30 miles

Carlinville = 60 miles

Next, I predict sellers from Bloomington and Chicago.

I knew it would happen.
  • There is something so shady about that Gold Center operation. If people are gonna belly ache about this I would suggest you focus on them or get over there and buy a set over the counter (or under the counter so to speak). Too far for me though.

<< <i><< << http://cgi.ebay.com/America-Beautiful-5oz-Set-READY-SHIP-/110627343142?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item19c1e74b26 >> linked BIN $3000 Holy Cow! >> >>

They don't look all banged up to me! In fact, they have a pretty nice finish if you can go by the pics. Wonder if they were cherry-picked or just a random sampling?

It stinks that one of the APs is obviously trickling them out to its favorite customers before offering them to the public. It is blatantly and defiantly in violation of the mint guidelines. Jeez, when will these privileged jokers get a clue???
    So now it looks like the coin crusaders have just shifted the modest flipper money from the AP to huge flipper money to the lucky few who happened to order from an AP. Doesn't seem like a great thing to me.
    So now it looks like the coin crusaders have just shifted the modest flipper money from the AP to huge flipper money to the lucky few who happened to order from an AP. Doesn't seem like a great thing to me.

I suppose that I could cynically point out that "unfairness" doesn't feel so good now, when you are on the receiving end, does it?

I knew it would happen.
    FWIW - my order status just went from "B Vault" to "Order Pulled". Maybe I'll have my set before Santa gets here!!! image
    <<So now it looks like the coin crusaders have just shifted the modest flipper money from the AP>>

Oh don't bet on that...I bet the AP took a nice premium from the buyer for the honor of being first in line...assuming that the seller isn't really the AP under an assumed identity!

Nothing would surprise me about this sleazy process anymore! And these are the Mint's AUTHORIZED SELLERS acting liek this!

<< <i>So now it looks like the coin crusaders have just shifted the modest flipper money from the AP to huge flipper money to the lucky few who happened to order from an AP. Doesn't seem like a great thing to me.

I suppose that I could cynically point out that "unfairness" doesn't feel so good now, when you are on the receiving end, does it? >>

That was a point I was trying to make. Those who complained about fairness before simply just shifted the unfairness, not eliminate it.

<< <i>FWIW - my order status just went from "B Vault" to "Order Pulled". Maybe I'll have my set before Santa gets here!!! image >>

Maybe Santa pulled them.
    In a related vein...the lawyers for the family with the 1933 Eagles should use this first eBay sale of pucks as a textbook example of how a Mint issue was "officially" released prior to the start of authorized sales.

But no, instead the Treasury will actually continue to argue that now way, no how could something like this have happened back in 1933!!!
    Doesn't seem like a great thing to me.

The "not a great thing" isn't because of the complainers. In my opinion, the complaining needs to focus on the offenders, and if The Gold Center is blatantly violating their agreement, they should be dropped from the list of Authorized Distributors. The great thing happens when the right thing prevails. Yes? or No?

I knew it would happen.

• << <i>Haha. That didn't take long. I'm waiting for the guys that have dozens of these in hand and start selling. Save for the naive vocal minoirty here that like to whine to the Mint, none of this is really surprising. In this world its who you know that matters not obtuse notions of fairness. >>

I doubt a minority would have gotten the results that we got image
    Gold Center says they will sell them after the 1st but they will sell OTC only. No mail.

Now THAT totally sucks. They should be made available to EVERYONE.

"you will have to walk in the front door and buy it" he said
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭
    It stinks that one of the APs is obviously trickling them out to its favorite customers before offering them to the public. It is blatantly and defiantly in violation of the mint guidelines. Jeez, when will these privileged jokers get a clue???

Two Options:
    1. Vending Machines.
    2. The US Mint should sell these direct to the public.

Eliminate the human factor or should I say the greed factor.

• << <i>It stinks that one of the APs is obviously trickling them out to its favorite customers before offering them to the public. It is blatantly and defiantly in violation of the mint guidelines. Jeez, when will these privileged jokers get a clue???

Two Options:
    1. Vending Machines.
    2. The US Mint should sell these direct to the public.

Eliminate the human factor or should I say the greed factor. >>

You'll get #2 with the numis next year. And watch the teeth nashing then as the site crashes and phones ring fast busy.
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rules don't mandate sales via web, phone, or mail...
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The "not a great thing" isn't because of the complainers. In my opinion, the complaining needs to focus on the offenders, and if The Gold Center is blatantly violating their agreement, they should be dropped from the list of Authorized Distributors. The great thing happens when the right thing prevails. Yes? or No? >>

What part of the agreement are they violating? Do you know they sold multiple to one household? Or to Corporate Officers or employees? They are required to make them available to the public. It doesn't say within 24 hours of receiving their order, or via mail, or keep the front door open 24/7 until your allotment are sold, or any other conditions. I am sure the guy that got his is a good customer that this company wanted to take care of and he got his ONE set. Nothing in the rules prohibit that.
  • SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Gold Center says they will sell them after the 1st but they will sell OTC only. No mail.

"you will have to walk in the front door and buy it" he said >>

They should be made available to Everyone, especially if they have them in stock!

Does that mean?
    OTC - Over The Counter Sales starting after Jan 1st. - If we have any left after the UTC sales.
    UTC - Under The Counter Sales starting now to Jan 1st.
    What part of the agreement are they violating? Do you know they sold multiple to one household? Or to Corporate Officers or employees? They are required to make them available to the public. It doesn't say within 24 hours of receiving their order, or via mail, or keep the front door open 24/7 until your allotment are sold, or any other conditions. I am sure the guy that got his is a good customer that this company wanted to take care of and he got his ONE set. Nothing in the rules prohibit that.

I'm looking back for the exact verbiage right now. They ARE being sold at this time. If they are ONLY selling to a selected list of individuals and excluding everyone else, then they are not selling to the public. How else could you interpret it?

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>What part of the agreement are they violating? Do you know they sold multiple to one household? Or to Corporate Officers or employees? They are required to make them available to the public. It doesn't say within 24 hours of receiving their order, or via mail, or keep the front door open 24/7 until your allotment are sold, or any other conditions. I am sure the guy that got his is a good customer that this company wanted to take care of and he got his ONE set. Nothing in the rules prohibit that.

I'm looking back for the exact verbiage right now. They ARE being sold at this time. If they are ONLY selling to a selected list of individuals and excluding everyone else, then they are not selling to the public. How else could you interpret it? >>

They could say it is first-in, first-out. Who is to say otherwise unless there is an investigation.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    If these places take phone orders for silver eagles then they should also take phone orders for these 5 ounce coins or else not sell them.

• taxmadtaxmad Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm looking back for the exact verbiage right now. They ARE being sold at this time. If they are ONLY selling to a selected list of individuals and excluding everyone else, then they are not selling to the public. How else could you interpret it? >>

There was no requirement that they cancel existing orders. If you are not an employee or officer, you are a member of the public. Therefore they have sold to the public, one per household.
    When will all the Unfairness end?image

• << <i>Gold Center says they will sell them after the 1st but they will sell OTC only. No mail.

"you will have to walk in the front door and buy it" he said >>

Maybe they should also only sell them over the counter from 9:00am to 9:05am!

Or, they could spend 1 hour to checkout each purchase because they have to verify the 1HH limit and also there are some technical difficulties in their POS system.

So now they have followed the Mint's rules of offering the puck to the public. After a month or two, this poor AP will have thousands of pucks unsold, so they can ask for the permission from the Mint to "liquidate" their unsold pucks!
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file