Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• << <i>Can't we all get along? >>

Let's all sing "Kumbaya" image
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't we all get along? >>

As I said, what’s w/all the secrecy? Most of us happily post significant & helpful info to others on the forum ad soon as we have it to help each other out.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
    Double post. Sorry.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Inside deal? I'm pretty sure the person on the receiving end isn't supposed to discuss the details and probably shouldn't have sunk the shipimage
  • SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Can't we all get along? >>

As I said, what’s w/all the secrecy? Most of us happily post significant & helpful info to others on the forum ad soon as we have it to help each other out. >>

IT'S A SECRET SANTA SALE. INVITED GUESTS ONLY!!
  • Can someone post the Coin N Things new website address. Saw it inthread before but now can't find it. thx

<< <i>Inside deal? I'm pretty sure the person on the receiving end isn't supposed to discuss the details and probably shouldn't have sunk the shipimage >>

Could it possibly be any more clear that the APs should have NO INVOLVEMENT WHATSOEVER in this program??????

Such inside dealy B.S. should only provide more evidence to The Mint to keep the A.P.s the heck out of this! Between the initial gouging attempts & inside deals such ad these, the APs have proven themselves totally incapable of executing their roles responsibly.
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    Its hard to say "no" to a friend
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Raufus. I think that it is poor form to post in the manner that Mr. Fisher has. And, I'm tempted to give my theory about where he got them.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can someone post the Coin N Things new website address. Saw it inthread before but now can't find it. thx >>

atb.cntofma.com
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>I agree with Raufus. I think that it is poor form to post in the manner that Mr. Fisher has. And, I'm tempted to give my theory about where he got them. >>

Oh, poo! If anyone else of us had had them we'd of been bragging too!!!!!
    And you know it!
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    And I know how it is that you know him. And poo. It is poor form.

I knew it would happen.
  • I'm guessing Mr Fisher got them from Gold Center as all those in the know seem to be centered around IL.

• << <i>

<< <i>I agree with Raufus. I think that it is poor form to post in the manner that Mr. Fisher has. And, I'm tempted to give my theory about where he got them. >>

And you know it!
    TD >>

Yes, bragging ....but sharing the info.....big difference
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭
    If, as many have put forth, the surface of these pucks have a substantial number nicks, could it be the reason the Mint is 'sandblasting' the surface of the numismatic version, instead of just adding a 'W' to the die?
    I'm guessing Mr Fisher got them from Gold Center as all those in the know seem to be centered around IL.

Yep, about a 30 minute drive for Mr. Fisher.

I knew it would happen.
    Gold Center probably just got half a dozen calls
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin

• << <i>Gold Center probably just got half a dozen calls >>

Yeah but no dice. Did mention early January sales maybe, in person only!
  • I suspect Mr. Fisher won't be the only one getting preferential treatment from the APs.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

<< <i>

<< <i>

And you know it!
    TD >>

Yes, bragging ....but sharing the info.....big difference >>

EXACTLY! If the AP gets audited it will be interesting to see how they explain their friends and family plan.
  • I saved pages 108, 109, 110 and 111 to my hard disk just in case there really is hanky-panky going on.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Lock that the APs have these coins in hand now and whole lot of backroom dealing going on right this minute.
  • Are any of the APs selling in-person right now? If they have the stock on hand, there's nothing keeping them from doing so, as long as they follow the rules.

EDIT: Are any of the APs set up to deal in person?
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lock that the APs have these coins in hand now and whole lot of backroom dealing going on right this minute. >>

-or-

Mr. Fisher is a member of the public and is is one of the first to receive his one set per HH.

I don't think it's that big a deal.
    Mr. Fisher is a member of the public and is is one of the first to receive his one set per HH.

Then why aren't they being offered to the general public?

Ya know, that's what makes this whole hobby feel a bit seedy at times.

I knew it would happen.
  • No rules broken technically but you have to know every one of these APs has a long list of dealers they have done business with that will be getting easy access to these coins. The real public sales will be whatever is left - that probably explains the delay in onsales too.

• << <i>

<< <i>Lock that the APs have these coins in hand now and whole lot of backroom dealing going on right this minute. >>

-or-

I don't think it's that big a deal. >>

The secrecy is what makes it all suspicious. If there's nothing to hide, why didn't Mr. Fisher tell us where he purchased them?
  • If the USM is smart (if) they'd be watching these boards and doing their audits accordingly.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin

• << <i>No rules broken technically but you have to know every one of these APs has a long list of dealers they have done business with that will be getting easy access to these coins. The real public sales will be whatever is left - that probably explains the delay in onsales too. >>

And you know what that means. They're being cherrypicked and the public like you and I will have no chance at getting one of the better specimens. I don't know why you guys feel this is acceptable conduct by a business.
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    It really isn't acceptable but there isn't a whole lot we can do about it except whine and complain on these boards....over 100+ pages on this thread alone...
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

• << <i>Mr. Fisher is a member of the public and is is one of the first to receive his one set per HH.

Then why aren't they being offered to the general public?

Ya know, that's what makes this whole hobby feel a bit seedy at times. >>

image but more often than "at times"
  • Prices on ebay seem to be coming down today, five sets sold on bids for $1499 to $1593.
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does Coins and Things in Bridgewater even have a working website?

Every time I try entering www.cntofma.com, I get complete jibberish.
  • Now you see why MsMorrisine was trying to organize a monster box buy so as to avoid stuff like this.

On another note, Michael over at MintNewsBlog says ALL APs have ordered their allotment except for Scotia Mocatta and Commerzbank. That makes 9 out of 11 APs.

<< <i>Does Coins and Things in Bridgewater even have a working website?
    Every time I try entering www.cntofma.com, I get complete jibberish. >>

Its atb.cntofma.com

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Its atb.cntofma.com>>

Thanks...and they're saying no orders accepted until 1/17/2011...so unless they're going to be last, they might know something the rest of us don't re the timing of sales.

• << <i>Prices on ebay seem to be coming down today, five sets sold on bids for $1499 to $1593. >>

Lowest I could find sold yesterday for $1999 and a set sold as single coins sold for $2480 on Sunday....

I guess it depends on how they are listed...
  • tincuptincup Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Lock that the APs have these coins in hand now and whole lot of backroom dealing going on right this minute."

That very well could be happening. It would be relatively easy to get around the US Mint directives, although not for all of the allotment. For example... suppose the AP has the coins in hand, and has been in contact with a secondary dealer.... the AP is not selling to the regular public to allow the dealer ample time to get "family and friends and multiple accounts" arranged for a specified number of sets. Meanwhile the AP cherrypicks the best coins for the dealer. In return for this special customer service, the dealer pays the AP a special fee for "expedited personal customer service" or some other bogus membership status, etc. The 'fee' just happens to be coincidentally around $300 or so multiplied by the number of sets the dealer wants. Of couse, on paper, etc., the 'fee' is not tied in to the ATB coins but is considered a 'fee' for special privileges. When the sets are sold, the dealer and each family member, etc., purchases their set for the Mint specified price/markups.

If the Mint would audit the AP, they would not be able to prove cherrypicking... and the AP would be complying with one set per customer.

Don't be surprised when it is found that each AP will not have their full allotment available when sales are opened to the wide public; some orders will have already been filled prior to that point. Also, expect the coins to still be cherrypicked.
    ----- kj
    I got the APMEX email concerning my previous order for two sets.

I think it is very straight up of them to honor the $25 coupon they had offered at that time if you bought over a certain amount. I would not have been unhappy if they hadn't, because the new total is well under that level.

TD
  • tincuptincup Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my previous scenario, any 'fee' for special service could be a backroom deal.... there may be no record what so ever for it. Not saying anything like this is actually going on... but just saying that there are ways around the Mint restrictions and still plenty of ways for additional profit to be made.
    ----- kj
  • Sorry, my search used ounce instead of oz, different set of data came up, 4 sets from yeasterday sold around $1500. and one set sold yesterday at $1999
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry, my search used ounce instead of oz, different set of data came up, 4 sets from yeasterday sold around $1500. and one set sold yesterday at $1999 >>

I don't know what you're watching....but this page has several straight (non BIN) auctions currently running & with the lowest at $1680 auction has 8 days to go.

eBay pucks

I suspect they are going to explode, once the pucks "are in hand."
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I suspect they are going to explode, once the pucks "are in hand." >>

They will explode once they are no longer available.
    They will explode once they are no longer available.

The APs are required to sell all that they receive.

What are the odds that a few "hoards" of several hundred of these first issues will mysteriously resurface several years down the road?

And in a mysterious turn of events, what would be the odds that they will all be graded and slabbed?

I really can't wait to see how this comes down. It's not lookin' good, as far as I can tell.

I knew it would happen.
  • Since Prudential Securities is one of the APs that ordered, does anyone know how to contact their bullion department? It doesn't even look like they deal in bullion.
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as we are pondering "what if's".....

What if the US Mint decides that this was a mess and wants to avoid anything like this and decides to increase the Numismatic version to "minted to demand" making the Bullion version the key!
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Woohoo, pucks finally on the way!
    Mine will be sent by this Friday.

Let me put my tinfoil hat back on, it's getting weird in here.
  • here`s a link with one ending in 3 hours or so. 5 oz ATB

the NGC holders were just added!!!!!!!!!
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Woohoo, pucks finally on the way!
    Mine will be sent by this Friday.

Let me put my tinfoil hat back on, it's getting weird in here. >>

So is everyone's that originally ordered from APMEX
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file