Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• << <i>here`s a link with one ending in 3 hours or so. 5 oz ATB

the NGC holders were just added!!!!!!!!! >>

That NGC holder looks to be at least 7" x 5". Yikes!

I won't even comment on the $3995 price. image
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

• << <i>

<< <i>Woohoo, pucks finally on the way!
    Mine will be sent by this Friday.

Let me put my tinfoil hat back on, it's getting weird in here. >>

So is everyone's that originally ordered from APMEX >>

...and they are not really "on the way" yet.....probably will be by Friday
  • SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As long as we are pondering "what if's".....

What if the US Mint decides that this was a mess and wants to avoid anything like this and decides to increase the Numismatic version to "minted to demand" making the Bullion version the key! >>

I suspect mintage quantities will increase dramatically.

If they don't, you may have another Mint Director resign.

• << <i>

<< <i>here`s a link with one ending in 3 hours or so. 5 oz ATB

the NGC holders were just added!!!!!!!!! >>

That NGC holder looks to be at least 7" x 5". Yikes!

I won't even comment on the $3995 price. image >>

So "grade of our choice" adds about $2000 to the price???? Yeah, that works for me......Could I have the lowest grade you have please Sir????

• << <i>What if the US Mint decides that this was a mess and wants to avoid anything like this and decides to increase the Numismatic version to "minted to demand" making the Bullion version the key! > >>

I don't think they can mint 2010 coins/pucks in 2011....I have to assume they are already struck
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    I wonder how they can call them "early releases" when they were all released at the same time.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silly question....it has been stated that the Mint cannot sell bullion coins after the end of the calendar year.

Back in 2003, there was a big stink because the Mint was requiring the AP's who were trying to buy 2003 ASE's to take (IIRC) 40% of their initial order in leftover 2002's. I believe that something similar happened in a later year, though in a smaller percentage.

Were these indeed "sold in 2003," or did the Mint shoehorn them into the pre-orders placed in December of 2002? Does anybody know?

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

• << <i>

<< <i>What if the US Mint decides that this was a mess and wants to avoid anything like this and decides to increase the Numismatic version to "minted to demand" making the Bullion version the key! > >>

I don't think they can mint 2010 coins/pucks in 2011....I have to assume they are already struck >>

I didn't read that in the leglislation, but I could have missed it.

Though the leglislation does say this about bullion:

"(2) AVAILABILITY FOR SALE- Bullion coins minted under paragraph (1)–
    `(A) shall become available for sale no sooner than the first day of the calendar year in which the circulating quarter dollar of which such bullion coin is a duplicate is issued; and
    `(B) may only be available for sale during the year in which such circulating quarter dollar is issued."

Which confuses me. To sell a numismatic version during the first quarter of 2011, they'd have to be making those coins under the silver coin subsection up higher (non-bullion section).:

"(B) SILVER COINS- Notwithstanding subsection (b), the Secretary may mint and issue such number of quarter dollars of each design selected under paragraph (3) as the Secretary determines to be appropriate, with a content of 90 percent silver and 10 percent copper."

Though the silver coin section doesn't specify size, it does specify composition. Could it be possible that numismatic strikes will only be 90% silver?

I'm actually assuming I'm wrong here, so if someone can point out what I'm missing, that'd be great.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Silly question....it has been stated that the Mint cannot sell bullion coins after the end of the calendar year.

Back in 2003, there was a big stink because the Mint was requiring the AP's who were trying to buy 2003 ASE's to take (IIRC) 40% of their initial order in leftover 2002's. I believe that something similar happened in a later year, though in a smaller percentage.

Were these indeed "sold in 2003," or did the Mint shoehorn them into the pre-orders placed in December of 2002? Does anybody know? >>

I've heard that on here, too. If that is true, I suspect they are simply replacing 2003 orders with 2002 product. I'm not sure if that is against the law, but it sounds like it would be for the national pucks.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    i've personally heard more than enough bs about why coins that are "in hand" at several AP's are not currently being offered to the public....

a "report" of someone actually having purchased a set and has it in hand (who knows).....

i didnt get in on complaining to the USM before - meaning about the pricing problems....

but I did my civic duty today and made the phone calls and talked to several depts at the USM.....dont have the answer yet, but want an explanation of why delivered coins are not for sale NOW.

we all know the AP's that have ordered, and have rec'd coins........

no more funny business.

time to come clean and gets those coins to the public.

• << <i>i've personally heard more than enough bs about why coins that are "in hand" at several AP's are not currently being offered to the public....

a "report" of someone actually having purchased a set and has it in hand (who knows).....

i didnt get in on complaining to the USM before - meaning about the pricing problems....

but I did my civic duty today and made the phone calls and talked to several depts at the USM.....dont have the answer yet, but want an explanation of why delivered coins are not for sale NOW.

no more funny business.

time to come clean and gets those coins to the public. >>

Thanks, 7over8! I'm glad there's someone willing to keep the APs in line.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
    start the phone calling guys.....we need to see results.

anyone of these AP's that has a retail arm already has no business sitting on the coins once they've been delivered.

i was told today that there were no new directives or rules after last weeks changes

the number for the legal department is in this thread back aound page 60 or so, they were VERY helpful and answered my questions.

next on to marketing where we find out who actually has the coins and why we cant walk in and purchase them NOW.

bottom line is - - - if you dont have a retail arm and cant get these coins to market quickly, you have no business ordering them.

thats my 'rant for the night.

<< <i>i've personally heard more than enough bs about why coins that are "in hand" at several AP's are not currently being offered to the public....

no more funny business.

time to come clean and gets those coins to the public. >>

there hasn't been enough of an egregious time yet.

I suggest calming down and remembering they've got at least 3,000 sets if not 15,000 coins to sell 1 at a time. I think the fear of the Mint has been put into them if they are so flipped out that they need clarification what"the public" is. Once they calm down and realize they just need to sell these with the similar business practices as their other bullion, then things will start moving again.

I think the Mint would be satisfied that they sell to any individual with a US & Territories based address. Birth Certificates, Passports and Voting Registration cards are not required to be collected. If they charged a similar shipping charge that they always have it would be ok. I would think the Mint wouldn't get bent if it was a little higher because they took some extra care to package them better than the "common" bullion.

At $1395 and $1500 the Mint got bent. I got bent. On the other hand, I don't see why APMEX or anyone needs to lower their regular shipping & handling out of fear of the Mint.

And the public needs a little patience while they calm down and sort things out. Give 'em a few more weeks.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    Ms M -

They dont need any more time. If you prefer to sit and wait, thats your opinion.

The coins are IN HAND. Every one of the AP's that I called has some excuse why they are not offering NOW.

Many have retail sales already of other bullion products. One example is MTB. Coins are in hand per their own rep by phone today.

Absolutely no reason to hold them back.

I'm tired of the bs. Time to make the calls. Ive spoken to some other forum members and hope the phones will be ringing off the hook tomorrow.
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I'm tired of the bs. Time to make the calls. Ive spoken to some other forum members and hope the phones will be ringing off the hook tomorrow. >>

The Apple Dumplin Gang rides again!

Loves me some shiny!
    that Dumplin gang actually got something accomplished.......and if you are getting a refund from APMEX, you should be THANKING them

on another note-------

and unlike others who "reportedly" acquired a set today from an AP

when I acquire a set for myself - I will POST who is selling for all to see and utilize if desired.
  • Since most of the APs don't normally deal with small individual orders, they probably have to retool a few their system to deal with thousands of small orders. Some of these APs just made the decision to carry the coins not too long ago. I think a little time is reasonable. It also explains why APMEX is able to ship early--they are better set up to deal with this situation.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
    There are at least 3 of the AP's - maybe more - who already deal with the retail public.

No reasonable explanation. Examples?

There is no reason why APMEX isnt taking orders right now.

The is no reasonable explanation why we cant walk into MTB tomorrow and buy the 5 coin set.

If you wish to sit back and wait - go ahead. I choose to try and get an answer from the USM.

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I agree 7/8, this is ridiculous, they should have said the coins had to be sold ASAP just like bullion coins are. You get them in, you sell them quickly, 1 per household. The price was set, if anyone can't sell within a week please don't order.

• << <i>Ms M -

They dont need any more time. If you prefer to sit and wait, thats your opinion.

The coins are IN HAND. Every one of the AP's that I called has some excuse why they are not offering NOW.

Many have retail sales already of other bullion products. One example is MTB. Coins are in hand per their own rep by phone today.

I'm tired of the bs. Time to make the calls. Ive spoken to some other forum members and hope the phones will be ringing off the hook tomorrow. >>

So many rules.
    Now along with the price and house hold limits, these sellers need to follow a timeline?
    You should have bought from APMEX. you could have saved money, gotten your coins, and patted yourself on the back at the same time.

<< <i>Ms M -

Well, it is true that people like APMEX do regular sales of anywhere from 1 coin up every day....

I'm still going to wait to hear for more lame excuses until I declare "problem." APMEX is already making way for their pre-sales to ship.

• << <i>There are at least 3 of the AP's - maybe more - who already deal with the retail public.

No reasonable explanation.

There is no reason why APMEX isnt taking orders right now.

The is no reasonable explanation why we cant walk into MTB tomorrow and buy the 5 coin set.

If you wish to sit back and wait - go ahead. I choose to try and get an answer from the USM. >>

Jeez guys, be patient. They have a lot of heavy coins to sift through. Give them some time to find the higher grades.

<< <i>If you wish to sit back and wait - go ahead. I choose to try and get an answer from the USM. >>

Loves me some shiny!
    Half -

I cant believe i'm saying this, but I am with you on this one 100%!!!!!!

I have talked to some real nice people in the right department(s) today at the USM, one more to speak with hopefully tomorrow morning.

I hope to get an answer..........hey, maybe these guys need a friendly call to advise them of the intent of the program....to SELL these coins to the PUBLIC.
    Joz -

If they cant sell them as they receive them, then dont order them. It's SIMPLE.

When you get explanations of "maybe I wont sell any", "call back next week" (that keeps slipping everytime you call back), "websites that dates keep moving back", "we have to fill other orders first" (like they STOP all ordering of the 1000's of other products they sell to fill those first 400 sets)

I guess you get the picture.

Excuses. Excuses.

Enough.

I am willing to accept a drop dead date to start offering to the public. Make it Dec 31, make it Jan 3, but NO SETS should be released or committed BEFORE the date.

This is not what is happening. It's has to change.

I'm committed to getting an answer.
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭
    We all need to call the Mint and complain about not getting our coins quicker. After all, look how the first round of phone calls to the Mint sped things up...
    do I dare guess? another new member who just saved $500 on their set because of someone elses hard work?
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    I agree with everyone.

Lets face it, the Mint ONLY needs to make 9 phone calls to get things moving. image

A little "we're getting calls you're not selling the coins...." from the Govt can go a long way. Ask APMEX.

• BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    Then the APs would have to spend 2 weeks "evaluating" what the mint meant by "moving"
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
    Time to make the calls.

Ive said my piece. I hope to receive a positive answer. I would hope they start making those calls to the AP's.

My intention is to walk in to a local AP that has retail sales and acquire my set this week.

If you want the process to get moving, make the calls and ask for an answer.
    No stress here..I am locked and loaded for a set with AMPEX.

Happy Holidays!

Loves me some shiny!

• << <i>Jeez guys, be patient. They have a lot of heavy coins to sift through. Give them some time to find the higher grades. >>

For the guys that saved you $500 (not me)

YOU'RE WELCOME.
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>do I dare guess? another new member who just saved $500 on their set because of someone elses hard work? >>

Thanks for all that work. Hopefully Apmex ships my set before the Mint suspends sales - again.
    glad you guys got a set and saved the cash.

others will get theirs too.

we just have to make sure it happens timely.

APMEX is another one who has no business not lighting up the "in stock" button on their site.

The coins are there to fill orders, means they are there for new orders.

Not my problem the mess they are in with refunds, etc.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

The Apple Dumplin Gang rides again! >>

image----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
    YUP.

Maybe with any luck, I'll be able to post a pic of the 5 coin set I get in hand as a walk in customer at one of the AP's. So all you guys who ordered from APMEX can see what you'll receive in the mail in a week or soimage

They just have to "do the right thing" and start selling as the USM intended.
  • OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    Seven, It made me smile to see you agree with Half.I can't wipe it off my face. Take Care
    can someone please pop some popcorn

im on a roll - it's gonna be a long night

• << <i>For the guys that saved you $500 (not me)

YOU'RE WELCOME. >>

Respectfully, you really need to get past this, the guys that saved $500 didn't ask for any help just the coins (Me).
    If nothing had been said everyone would have paid the same amount or more and had the coins.
    Something was said and now everybody is paying the same amount or more except the coins still are not in hand.
    You are putting more value on the money than the coin. I believe it is safe to say that all the preorder buyers cared more for the coin than the cost.
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check this Auction on the ATB Set as I believe it is from one of our esteemed members!

Let the games begin and I do hope you all get a set soon - with help from your friends! Or this link:

Auction for a MTB Set

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    7/8, what is the (202) number if you have it? I didn't think I'd have to call it again, but I will. Thanks.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    joz -

I'm just sayin'

in the old days we call it being grateful for someone elses deed that you benefitted from.....image

no need to thank me - I already said I wasnt one of the guys who took the time and made calls, but im sure others on here did some digging and saved you a boatload of cash.

Respectfully, your argument makes no sense.

jmski52 -

Originally posted by Raufus on Dec 6th.......

<< <i>After multiple (many multiple) calls, I got the number for The Mint Office of Legal Council (no one was in, of course) but it is the correct office and number: 202-354-7280. I encourage all who are interested to call. >>

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>that Dumplin gang actually got something accomplished.......and if you are getting a refund from APMEX, you should be THANKING them

on another note-------

and unlike others who "reportedly" acquired a set today from an AP

when I acquire a set for myself - I will POST who is selling for all to see and utilize if desired. >>

As will I. Very, very well stated. Thanks!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
    Email from APMEX today....

Dear Valued Customer,

You are receiving this email because you ordered one or more of the America The Beautiful five coin sets after the initial launch by the U.S. Mint of the program on December 1, 2010, and before the U.S. Mint amended the details of the program on December 6, 2010.

As you almost certainly know, the U.S. Mint re-launched the program on December 9, 2010, but, only with some substantial changes that neither you nor we expected. Most importantly, the U.S. Mint imposed a prohibition on the sale of more than one set to a customer in a single household. In addition, they set a maximum price of $859.95 for these sets. That change was obviously beyond our control and we have adjusted our orders accordingly.

We have revised your order to meet the U.S. Mint’s mandate. You will be charged for the one set as shown below in accordance with the amended details the U.S. Mint has set forth regarding the sale of the sets. This price is lower than the price at which you ordered.

Order ID
    Quantity Allowed
    Sales Price
    Shipping Cost
    Order Total
    Amount Received
    Refund

A refund check will be included with your shipment, which we anticipate will be by Friday, December 24, 2010.

We appreciate your cooperation and understanding in this matter and, as always, value our relationship with you. If you have any questions in regard to this matter, please contact me directly.

Jana Hale

Customer Service Manager

American Precious Metals Exchange

that is what this forum is all about.

the collecting community

sharing info----

so all can get in if they choose to do so.

<< <i>Then the APs would have to spend 2 weeks "evaluating" what the mint meant by "moving" >>

Based on the member who has a set in hand, it looks like the APs need some time to take care of dealies for those on the friends and family plan. WHAT TOTAL B.S.!!!!! The AP MUST need to BE OUT OF THE ATB 5 oz PROGRAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<< <i>that is what this forum is all about.

the collecting community

sharing info----

so all can get in if they choose to do so. >>

Roger that!
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2300! Someone had to do it image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file