Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone who thinks coins with a 6000 mintage is a bullion coin is off in a distant numismatic planet somewhere IMO

I've got a 1 oz. Plat with a mintage of exactly 6,000 for sale on BST for bullion prices at this very moment. Welcome to the distant planet!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone who thinks coins with a 6000 mintage is a bullion coin is off in a distant numismatic planet somewhere IMO

I've got a 1 oz. Plat with a mintage of exactly 6,000 for sale on BST for bullion prices at this very moment. Welcome to the distant planet!image >>

Here is a perfect example of supply & demand. There is hardly any demand for APE's...The collector base is just to small. I agree however, that the designs are far superior compared to the other bullion that the Mint is offering, but so are Franklin Mint Sterling Silver Bars.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Big E - -

Waaaaaaaaaaaaa! Waaaaaaaaa!

Im tired of hearing the crying going on here about some folks who failed to get more than one set!

We SAVED you money.

Looking for a TIP.

dont be convinced there wont be people gaming the system....

7 AP's = 7 sets.

7 sets x multiple addresses = 10's of sets.

add in friends who could care less about it and give them $50 for their trouble = maybe 50+ sets.

guys - there will be many out there that will get their hands on 50+ or more sets. some of them will be secondaries.

the moral of the story = at least you have a chance at getting a set for a reasonable price. if you cant get one now for issue, you arent paying attention.

my opinion is by the time APMEX starts shipping the first orders, they will already be selling new ones on the website - or possibly sooner.

• << <i>my opinion is by the time APMEX starts shipping the first orders, they will already be selling new ones on the website - or possibly sooner. >>

That would be great! We'll see......
    I agree. They have quite a bit of work to do with refunds, adjustments, etc on existing orders....

But that doesnt preclude them from opening up for new orders.

My guess is that the first 1000 sets is actually about 400 sets (maybe less)when adjusted for 1 set per HH (per the info that was posted on this thread earlier (approx 2.6 sets/384 customers)

So APMEX has at least 2600 sets to go of their first 3000. They will most likely get more - if other AP's dont join in. If the current 7 take full allocations, ~4700 sets each.

Guys - If it took 19 hours to sell 400 sets (adjusted to 1 per HH), granted at $880 those 400 sets would have probably went in half the time, it's gonna take a solid week of good sales to sell out one AP.

times 7.

Everyone will get a chance. Just make sure you get one.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone who thinks coins with a 6000 mintage is a bullion coin is off in a distant numismatic planet somewhere IMO

I've got a 1 oz. Plat with a mintage of exactly 6,000 for sale on BST for bullion prices at this very moment. Welcome to the distant planet!image >>

They said the same thing about 50.00 Pan Pacs, people refused to pay the exorbitant mark-ups, be a little patient, you aren't a flipper are you?image-----------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ordered early, still no email. Called APMEX, they said the emails will take some time to get out. They also said that they will likely start taking new orders by weeks end or early next week.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

<< <i>. . ., it's gonna take a solid week of good sales to sell out one AP.

times 7.

Everyone will get a chance. Just make sure you get one. >>

ARE YOU REALLY SERIOUS?? A solid week. I can see that if they sell by one coin per order, maybe.
    I suspect most of them have already been spoken for and that complaints about ordering will skyrocket once sales start!!
    Just my opinion. Looks like those that ordered from APMEX got a sweet deal - no issues with the ordering system.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They said the same thing about 50.00 Pan Pacs, people refused to pay the exorbitant mark-ups, be a little patient, you aren't a flipper are you?image-----------------BigE

BigE, the statute of limitations on flipping is 1 year, I believe - but it might be 2 years. I never applied for my license, but we could ask Florida Bill to be sure.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    AT LEAST A WEEK to sell

staggered start dates by diff AP's gives many chances to pick an AP and get one.

19 hours to get approx 384 people to spend their money for 400 sets.

think about it.

there are 33000 to go around.

anyone make calls today to Fidelitrade? or any other AP's for that matter?

MTB now saying NEXT WEEK.

<< <i>AT LEAST A WEEK to sell

staggered start dates by diff AP's gives many chances to pick an AP and get one.

19 hours to get approx 384 people to spend their money for 400 sets.

think about it.

there are 33000 to go around. >>

Perhaps, but only if the remaining AP's exercised their option to handle more. What if they didn't?
    What if only 21,000 sets were purchased by the 7 AP's? This may become even more interesting.
    I thought the same, but then reality set in, GREED takes over, and I have no doubt either all 7 or some subset will sell all 33000 sets.

the longer it takes some AP's to offer theirs, after ordering, gives me the sneaking suspicion something is up........???

or maybe not.
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    Got the Email.

859.95 - sales price
    45.75 - shipping cost
    905.70 - order total
    xxx- amount received
    xxx - refund

This amount XXX has been refunded to your credit card.

No mention of when they will ship.

• Apmex understands customer service since they deal with retail customers. They will sell their remaing coins as fast as the can.

The other AP's may or may not understand retail customer service.

But as 7over8 said MTB may be dropping off the Jan 3rd sell date
    and I believe other's will too if they can get their web sites up to speed.

I think most of the 1000 sets sold by APMEX were sold in the last 4 or 5 hours. I would try APMEX first since their web site is up to speed. And we all know how phone calls work.
    I paid by check to avoid the cc fees. I see that they are not charging them afterall. Cc would have been easier.oh well
    MTB never announced Jan 3rd - but they have been pushing the date back 2 to 3 days each time i call back.

First it was last Wed/Thur

Then it was today

Now it is next week

so they very well maybe after the new year from the way they are going......

the USM should have implemented one addtl rule: ALL COIN SALES START NO LATER THAN DEC-xx , or xx days after receipt of coins from USM

<< <i>They said the same thing about 50.00 Pan Pacs, people refused to pay the exorbitant mark-ups, be a little patient, you aren't a flipper are you?image-----------------BigE

BigE, the statute of limitations on flipping is 1 year, I believe - but it might be 2 years. I never applied for my license, but we could ask Florida Bill to be sure.image >>

Yes, good idea, great question on the statute and also the amount permitted. At 895.00 for these, flippers will be coming out of the woodwork. I will also see how his new book is coming along "Flipping For Dummies". Supposed to cover everything , from condos to coins.----------------------BigEimage
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • I agree with you 7over8 as far as the USM setting sell dates for all AP's.

This coin has received alot of attention in the press and on the web.

Based on what I read I think this will be the only bullion coin with a 3 inch diameter.
    Mr. Moy said it is paper thin.

I think this will be a must have coin. I hope I can get the collector version in Q1.

• taxmadtaxmad Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭
    The last set sold for $2250. Prior to the new terms coming out it was $2750 (and climbing). Since I had bought two, I could have sold them for $5500, less $300 in fees, net $5200. Minus cost of sets - $2815 for a profit of $2385. Now I have one set at $880 cost, sell it for $2250. Fees of $125 - net profit $1245. So as of now, I am not sure how I am ahead of this game...
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The last set sold for $2250. Prior to the new terms coming out it was $2750 (and climbing). Since I had bought two, I could have sold them for $5500, less $300 in fees, net $5200. Minus cost of sets - $2815 for a profit of $2385. Now I have one set at $880 cost, sell it for $2250. Fees of $125 - net profit $1245. So as of now, I am not sure how I am ahead of this game... >>

Why would a coin collector be worried about this?
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The last set sold for $2250. Prior to the new terms coming out it was $2750 (and climbing). Since I had bought two, I could have sold them for $5500, less $300 in fees, net $5200. Minus cost of sets - $2815 for a profit of $2385. Now I have one set at $880 cost, sell it for $2250. Fees of $125 - net profit $1245. So as of now, I am not sure how I am ahead of this game... >>

Don't count your chickens before they've......well you know. It would surprise me to see these fall quickly when the real things hit eBay. I'd bet several of the inflated numbers you've seen on eBay are shill sales........
    taxmad -

the problem is you probably wouldnt have completed the sale.

so many deals go bad when the price drops so fast.

herein lies the problem, I see we have a whole new clientele of flippers that just found the forum...

np, to each his own, good luck

Looks like APMEX has made some changes on the 5 oz ATB page.....

maybe they are readying it for a few days from now?

"Please set an Alert Me for when we have these in stock!"

• Home Run.

<< <i>Looks like APMEX has made some changes on the 5 oz ATB page.....

maybe they are readying it for a few days from now?

"Please set an Alert Me for when we have these in stock!" >>

No change...that's been there for a couple of days.
    Just got my shipping & refund notice from APMEX. Expected shipping 12/24
    (Hope those 3" direct fit holders that I've got in storage will do the trick for the pucks)
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭
    Latest:
    AMPEX has NOT received the coins as of today.
    The anticipate delivery Wednsday and to start shipping on Friday.

Loves me some shiny!
    those coins are "in hand" of most AP's, hard to believe APMEX doesnt have them yet.

most had them last week, many had them as of saturday
    my opinion is the quality is gonna be cr&p

dont expect 69 quality, expect 65/66 quality

this is bullion, in rolls, no special handling.
  • I think MS 69 or MS 70 will not happen on these coins and they will cost over $ 200 dollars to to grade.
    But the slabs look good and some people would pay for it should you decide to sell.
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

image....................................................................... Let Me state I have nothing agaisnt flippers, only...................................................................................................image hmmm net profit of 1245 and your not ahead? back to school time.Merry Christmas
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.

<< <i>my opinion is the quality is gonna be cr&p

this is bullion, in rolls, no special handling. >>

Which is why I bought two sets. I figured they would go into a Mint tube of 10, so hopefully not too much damage. I can't imagine anyone spending $200 to grade a set of these...
  • Captilalism

<< <i> hmmm net profit of 1245 and your not ahead? back to school time.Merry Christmas >>

$1245 was less than $2385 when I was in school. You must have taken that new math they keep talking about...

<< <i>

Why would a coin collector be worried about this? >>

Is it wrong to make money off your hobby? Or is it only allowed during your day job?------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
    What's the story on grading these.

PCGS, FIrst STrike, etc?

NGC ?

• An MS 69 or 70 for the bullion version will go for moon money. You can take that to the bank!
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • NGC will do an early release or later. They claim that they are the only one that will do an oversize slab where you can see the edge of the coin

<< <i>NGC will do an early release or later. They claim that they are the only one that will do an oversize slab where you can see the edge of the coin >>

A long time ago someone mentioned PCGS was going to do an oversize slab. I can't find the thread.

<< <i>those coins are "in hand" of most AP's, hard to believe APMEX doesnt have them yet.

most had them last week, many had them as of saturday >>

Would you be willing to "stick a fork in it."image
  • PCGS? I don't know.

Courtesy Class of 67.

NGC Giant slabs Text
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>NGC will do an early release or later. They claim that they are the only one that will do an oversize slab where you can see the edge of the coin >>

A long time ago someone mentioned PCGS was going to do an oversize slab. I can't find the thread. >>

DW replied in the now long forgotten "National Park 5 oz" thread that I hijacked for the group order thread.

He only said they'd be slabbing them. no one asked about edge views and nothing was mentioned.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Interesting article on Zero Hedge .com

iText

<< <i>Interesting article on Zero Hedge .com

iText >>

Your links are now working....

<< <i>my opinion is the quality is gonna be cr&p

this is bullion, in rolls, no special handling. >>

I stressed proper handling and packaging to APMEX. They said that they would be carefully packaged in individual flips. I will stress this from anyone I order from. Of course, I'm sure that they won't use golves to put them in the flips....

<< <i>Interesting article on Zero Hedge .com

iText >>

I can't get the link to work...
  • Sorry. Im not up to speed on how to use the tools on the site.

If you are interested in silver:

zerohedge.com first article

silverseek.com about the 7th article by Ron Kirby

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file