Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>MsM

Its your opinion that the USM doesnt need to hear about the games going on, however, its funny - when I talked to THEM they were VERY interested to know what was going on and were keeping a close eye on it.

So, in summary, your advice of DONT call......

Not the best advice to follow. >>

having a few sets get out to people close to the APs is not going to be so big in the end....

if it were widespread, then that is another story.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    I say shine the light on the roaches
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<I say shine the light on the roaches >>

And then hit them with a big can of RAID!
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Scheduled Delivery Date: 12/24/2010
  • Options
    Date change from the 3rd to the 17th:
    Accepting order requests beginning January 17, 2011

link
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Get ready people! The mania continues......

Mint web page updated info on the collector's pucks....ready for 2011

Special Pucks

edited to add: When I actually READ the article the only new part was the paragraph at the bottom...duh! >>

What does "investment grade silver bullion coins" mean?

And why does it say "W" when these are going to be struck in Philadelphia with a "P" mint mark???

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Date change from the 3rd to the 17th:

link >>

Notice how they emphasized the word 'requests'...... looks like they are accepting your request for an order.... but not an actual order. Guess they are reserving the right to pick and choose who they will sell to.....
    ----- kj
  • Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    maybe they are going to be special "PW"
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Guess they are reserving the right to pick and choose who they will sell to..... >>

The real question should be...which AP isn't going to be sleazy and screw us...anyone...Anyone?
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

link >>

Notice how they emphasized the word 'requests'...... looks like they are accepting your request for an order.... but not an actual order. Guess they are reserving the right to pick and choose who they will sell to..... >>

Or, I guess it could simply mean they may expect to get more requests than they have coins.... so are simply stating it this way so purchasers realize they may or may not get their request filled.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    As was said 2000 posts ago, these new rules wont change anything, just create havoc.

Flippers who ordered 5 sets from APMEX @ 1395 and ran pre-sales on e-bay for 2500 still fill their orders

And with the same profit margins

-----------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>As these begin to be delivered, I hope the recipients will begin posting condition reports. >>

I think you will get a BUNCH of reports tomorrow..... >>

I'll post my grades for each of the 5 coins tomorrow.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Raufus,

Thank you for the info. I'll give PCGS a call tomorrow and report if anything has changed. >>

Sounds good. I'll look forward to any updates. Merry Xmas.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brccoins, did you send them to NGC or PCGS?
  • Options
    Is anybody selling capsules for these yet?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>brccoins, did you send them to NGC or PCGS? >>

I think he meant he would grade them and give his impressions to us (not getting the coins until tomorrow)
  • Options

PCGS is closed today. I'm sure it won't take them much longer to finalize the holders for these.
  • Options

link >>

Well it does take a while to send them off for grading, get them back, crack out the culls, and then sell them to "the public"
  • Options

<< <i>

I think he meant he would grade them and give his impressions to us (not getting the coins until tomorrow) >>

Exactly.
  • Options

<< <i><<Guess they are reserving the right to pick and choose who they will sell to..... >>

The real question should be...which AP isn't going to be sleazy and screw us...anyone...Anyone? >>

I'm thinking Prudential Securities since they don't seem to be in the collectibles business, but I really can't tell what their business in bullion involves. Perhaps bullion for IRAs? I just don't want to use an AP who might be cherry-picking them.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options

<< <i>Is anybody selling capsules for these yet? >>

Karin at Wizard Coin supply has capsules that she thinks will work. She says that she has to see the coins first as she is concerned that they may be too thin.
  • Options
    I spoke with NGC today. They are ready to accept the coins, and are offering ER on them. The ER dates will be posted on their web site, but are not up now. She said that any coins sent in on Mon. will of course be ER and that the outer range of the ER date will be posted shortly.

She also said that they have not graded any yet, as of this a.m.

I plan to send mine in for grading/ER designation on Monday.

Being that they've not seen any thus far and that the quality may be poor from handling and possibly culling, I wonder if it is best to wait or send now. Will they be harder or easier on them as time goes on? I was thinking that initially, if they don't look good, they'll hit them hard grade wise. However, if they keep coming in looking bad will they lighten up? Who knows. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Eventhough Jack Hunt and A-mark websites say do not call, has anyone called?

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I spoke with NGC today. They are ready to accept the coins, and are offering ER on them. The ER dates will be posted on their web site, but are not up now. She said that any coins sent in on Mon. will of course be ER and that the outer range of the ER date will be posted shortly. >>

Since they were all released on the same date, did you ask her why the receive date mattered? That's the question I want to know the answer to. Otherwise it should be "Early slabbed" rather than "early releases"
  • Options
    Actually, I did ask her. She didn't seem to get the question and offered no good answer. They are focused on the APs and not The Mint w/respect to release date.

I tried to get her to explain how they planned to even come up with the ER start date given that some got the under the table a few days ago, AMPEX is shipping the early orders now, etc. The only answer to all questions was to check the web site. Ugh.

I meant to add the grading is $40/coin. $200/set :-(

She did mention that this will go up $2 on 1/1 (despite that there is no inflation).
  • Options
    I think the concept of ER with these is silly. But if you're going to have 'em graded anyway....

If yours are stellar, I would have them graded. There will probably be a large population of not-so-great strikes, as they were made to be bullion.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I am waiting for the multi-coin holder, I understand it looks like a 4x8 sheet of plywood----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    PF-

I agree w/you.

I actually think that the concept of ER with any moderns is silly as it is meaningless (I know, some say at least they weren't submitted multiple times) but this has NOTHING to do with the order in which they were struck.

That said, the absolutely bring more $ if one ever sells so, for the few extra bucks....

Very clever marketing by the TPGs!!
  • Options

<< <i>I am waiting for the multi-coin holder, I understand it looks like a 4x8 sheet of plywood----------BigE >>

But it should only cost an extra couple of hundred or so to get...
  • Options

<< <i>Eventhough Jack Hunt and A-mark websites say do not call, has anyone called? >>

Call them to ask if we can call them.........

• Options

<< <i>I am waiting for the multi-coin holder, I understand it looks like a 4x8 sheet of plywood----------BigE >>

• Options
    Well I received my coins from APMEX and they are very well packaged. The coins themselves are each in a hard plastic case (not a sleeve) and then each is placed in a plastic bubblewrap pouch with its name on the front. They were all placed in a plastic bag and then in a box inside a larger shipping box. I am impressed with the care they showed.

The coins look great!
  • Options
    Great to hear!! You lucky dawg...I was hoping for today as well.
  • Options
    Please post pictures when you can!
  • Options
    I wouldn't know the first thing about doing pictures here. I remember trying it once.

I love the Mt Hood. It is the exact, EXACT, picture we took years ago when we were there on vacation. It is absolutely gorgeous.

Can you tell I am excited about these coins? I hope everyone here that wants a set gets one. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I checked the UPS tracking and they tried to deliver mine in the wrong state. Looks like it is back on schedule though, whew.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I hope the PCGS slabs for these are much smaller than the NGC, those are gigantic.
  • Options

<< <i>I wouldn't know the first thing about doing pictures here. I remember trying it once.

I love the Mt Hood. It is the exact, EXACT, picture we took years ago when we were there on vacation. It is absolutely gorgeous.

Can you tell I am excited about these coins? I hope everyone here that wants a set gets one. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. >>

The Mt. Hood design is this year's best!
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I wouldn't know the first thing about doing pictures here. I remember trying it once.

Can you tell I am excited about these coins? I hope everyone here that wants a set gets one. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. >>

The Mt. Hood design is this year's best! >>

No, no, no... Nothing TOUCHES the Arkansas Outhouse design! I mean, who knew they had outhouses back then? Such history!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The Mt. Hood design is this year's best! >>

No, no, no... Nothing TOUCHES the Arkansas Outhouse design! I mean, who knew they had outhouses back then? Such history! >>

You know, you've got a point there. What's even more confusing is that there's a fountain in front. Plumb in the fountain but not the shi**er?
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Maybe PCGS should make a round slab and get rid of all the extra space that the rectangular slab takes up.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well I received my coins from APMEX and they are very well packaged. The coins themselves are each in a hard plastic case (not a sleeve) and then each is placed in a plastic bubblewrap pouch with its name on the front. They were all placed in a plastic bag and then in a box inside a larger shipping box. I am impressed with the care they showed.

The coins look great! >>

APMEX has always done a superior job in mailing and packaging their products. I should have mine tomorrow...
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

It's a good come back story for APMEX, from the $1395 price to delivering coins to the general public.
  • Options
    This thread is useless without pics. image
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    Like some others, I have no idea how to post pics on this forum. I anticipate my pucks to arrive tomorrow from APMEX. If someone can tell me how to post pics, I'll happily do so of the APMEX packaging and of the coins.
  • Options

<< <i>It's a good come back story for APMEX, from the $1395 price to delivering coins to the general public. >>

I agree, but am not sure what's taking them so long to start selling the remainder.
  • Options
    SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a good come back story for APMEX, from the $1395 price to delivering coins to the general public. >>

But when is APMEX going to start selling sets again - to the PUBLIC??
  • Options
    Great point.

They do have a window of opportunity.

Will they use it?
  • Options

<< <i>Like some others, I have no idea how to post pics on this forum. I anticipate my pucks to arrive tomorrow from APMEX. If someone can tell me how to post pics, I'll happily do so of the APMEX packaging and of the coins. >>

You'll have to upload the pics to an image hosting service. If you don't have an account on one, you can just upload them to www.tinypic.com. Once each pic is uploaded, you'll be given a URL for that pic. Then, when you compose your message, pick the "image" button and enter the URL for the desired image. At least that's how I've done it in the past.
  • Options
    Falk25Falk25 Posts: 110 ✭✭

Well it looks like thecoinvault.com got hold of a number of sets of these bullion pieces as well. As the rest of us wait for them to go on sale for us to purchase.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file